Rational Theists Step Forward

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:56 am
I have heard from on high; there are now three Commandments for the Rational Theist:

- The Rational Theist must accept that all types of God have equal merit.

- The Rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of God superceded another idealization of God. (This does not impute what the Rational Theist could accept but only what the rational Theist could not accept)

- The Rational Theist believes Humor is one of the Main Invisible Hands of the Gods.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:14 am
Yes!!

(jumps up and down)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:35 am
Doktor S wrote:
I think what chum-o is saying, is that given a belief in a creator deity based on several theistic arguments for same, what is to say he is not a real physical being, in a real physical place? Or a council of beings. Or an entire civilization of beings.
What makes the non-corporeal monotheistic being more likely?
And if that isn't what he is saying, it is what I'm saying now Razz

I caught that, but I want to know is why. Why does it even matter? Absolutely nothing makes one thing more likely than another I guess. Though personally speaking if I don't give credit to "a" God, I'm not going to give credit to "the gods".
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:36 am
Chumly wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
I think what chum-o is saying, is that given a belief in a creator deity based on several theistic arguments for same, what is to say he is not a real physical being, in a real physical place? Or a council of beings. Or an entire civilization of beings.
Yuppers that is exactly it.

I would argue all permutations of god are equally likely, so given that one is a Theist, it is relatively more rational to believe all permutations of god than not to.

Then things got more interesting as Queen Annie thought it suited her views (and why not, it is more rational) and others chimed with their views, so I officially codified it to make sure my budding religion could get tax exempt status, and I could assume the rightful place as Chief Priest and Bottle Washer (CPBW the Unpronounceable).

Here are the two Commandments:

"- The rational Theist must accept that all types of god have equal merit"

"- The rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of god superceded another idealization of god."(This does not impute what the rational Theist could accept but only what the rational Theist could not accept)

I'm speechless... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:50 am
Re: Rational Theists Step Forward
Chumly wrote:
- The rational Theist must accept that all types of god have equal merit.- The rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of god superceded another idealization of god. Rational Theists Step Forward!
But claiming superiority for their version of divinity is what they do all the time; which is why the term "Rational Theist" is an oxymoron, and no such creature exists to step forward. Religion by definition is irrational.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:54 am
While I'm starting to see this steve, I would like to ask one question please. Who decided everything needs to be "rational" anyway? And what makes their idea that everything needs to be "rational" more important that what other people consider "rational" that is not?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:56 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Chumly wrote:
- The rational Theist must accept that all types of god have equal merit.- The rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of god superceded another idealization of god. Rational Theists Step Forward!
But claiming superiority for their version of divinity is what they do all the time; which is why the term "Rational Theist" is an oxymoron, and no such creature exists to step forward. Religion by definition is irrational.
I coined the phrase for lack of a better term, and not to be taken literally.

I do not explicitly say all that the Rational Theist can accept but only what the Rational Theist could not accept i.e. "The rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of god superceded another idealization of god."

I am not arguing that the rational Theist is ANY more rational in real terms, only in relative terms to the Theist who believes in a limited personification of god.

The rational Theist correctly believes there is just as much likelihood that god is personified in, or as, a monotheist non-corporeal being, and/or polytheist non-corporeal beings and/or a real living being, and/or real living beings, and/or a real thing and/or real things.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:03 am
hephzibah wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

I caught that, but I want to know is why. Why does it even matter? Absolutely nothing makes one thing more likely than another I guess. Though personally speaking if I don't give credit to "a" God, I'm not going to give credit to "the gods".

Do you believe in a single, non corporeal god entity to the exclusion of other types of gods, or not?
If so, why?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:57 am
Chumly wrote:
. . . The rational Theist must accept that all types of god have equal merit. . .
That lets me out.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:59 am
Doktor S wrote:
neologist wrote:
Faith should be tested

How would you test, and what method of execution would you see fit for those that tested positive?
Composing
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:21 am
Doktor S wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

Do you believe in a single, non corporeal god entity to the exclusion of other types of gods, or not?
If so, why?

Honestly speaking dok, I don't know what I believe anymore.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:24 am
That's what you get for coming to A2K and exposing yourself to rabid questioners like myself Razz

If it's any consolation, we can have sex or something.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:37 am
LOL dok, you crack me up. Tell ya what... why don't you call me? :wink:

Bwaaaaaa hahaha!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 11:39 am
Careful, heph. He may have ways.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 12:19 pm
hephzibah wrote:
While I'm starting to see this steve, I would like to ask one question please. Who decided everything needs to be "rational" anyway? And what makes their idea that everything needs to be "rational" more important that what other people consider "rational" that is not?
my dear mizfiss.

I think "who decided everything needs to be rational?" is an excellent question. Things are rational, that is we can explain them, as history shows. But why should it be that way? Why is there order and explanation in and of the Universe? Therein lies the most profound

Bwaaaaahaaaa haaa haaa llol Smile

The Universe is indeed just a bunch of laughs, and certainly not to be taken seriously. In my not very humble opinion.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 01:31 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
my dear mizfiss.

I think "who decided everything needs to be rational?" is an excellent question. Things are rational, that is we can explain them, as history shows. But why should it be that way? Why is there order and explanation in and of the Universe? Therein lies the most profound

Bwaaaaahaaaa haaa haaa llol Smile

The Universe is indeed just a bunch of laughs, and certainly not to be taken seriously. In my not very humble opinion.

Things are only as rational as the perceiver
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:16 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
which is why the term "Rational Theist" is an oxymoron, and no such creature exists to step forward. Religion by definition is irrational.

BUT a theist, is not, by definition, necessarily religious.

The logic of that progression doesn't hold up.

Theism:
Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

To have some sort of conception of a higher being(s) than one's own mortal self does not require religious ideation--in fact, I think the idea of a 'personal' source of deity(s), in one sense, can almost be taken as 'apart from religion.' Religion isn't personal, it's group hysteria, for the most part. It's not defined according to personal understandings, but rather relies on structured, group-oriented doctrines and praxis.

Therefore, 'rational theist' is not proven as an oxymoron.

Rational religion--now that is definitely an oxymoron.

Religious superstition--redundancy.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Faith should be tested

Just as skepticism should be, too. Too much of either, without rational evaluation, is tom-foolery.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:20 pm
I think that the nature of 'reality' (whatever that is) can be nothing other than rational.

Why should we think there is order to the cosmos?

Because it's still there. And we're here. Even if it's all a big dream in the head of some mythical sleeping giant--it IS. Somewhere there is an explanation or else there wouldn't be anything at all.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
queen annie is cool!
0 Replies