U.S. invasion responsible deaths of over 250,000 civilians..

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:44 am
Quote:
U.S. invasion responsible deaths of over 250,000 civilians in Iraq

U.S. invasion responsible deaths of over 250,000 civilians in Iraq

by John Stokes

New studies make the Bush administration's "liberation" argument for a 'pre-emptive' war against Iraq seem questionable.

The invasion of Iraq in March 2003 by U.S.-led coalition forces has been responsible for the death of at least 150,000 civilians (not including certain of Iraq), reveals a compilitation of scientific studies and corroborated eyewitness testimonies.

The majority of these deaths, which are in addition those normally expected from natural causes, illness and accidents, have been among women and children, documents a well-researched study, that had been released by The Lancet Medical Journal.

The report in the British journal is based on the work of teams from the Johns Hopkins University and Columbia University in the U.S., and the Al-Mustansiriya University in Baghdad.

A similar methodology was used in the late 1990's to calculate the number of deaths from the war in Kosovo, put at 10,000.

The information was obtained as Iraqi interviewers surveyed 808 families, consisting of 7,868 people, in 33 different "clusters" or neighbourhoods spread across the country.

In each case, they asked how many births and deaths there had been in the home since January 2002.

http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/home/images/Irak_war.gif

That information was then compared with the death rates in each neighbourhood in the 15 months before the invasion that toppled president Saddam Hussein, adjusted for the different time frames, and extrapolated to cover the entire 24.4 million population of Iraq.

The most common cause of death is as a direct result of a worsening 'culture of violence', mostly caused by indiscriminate U.S. co-ordinated air strikes, and related military interventions, reveals the study of almost 1000 households scattered across Iraq. And the risk of violent death just after the invasion was 58 times greater than before the war. The overall risk of death was 1.5 times more after the invasion than before.

The on-going American Occupation has also created worsened civil strife as well as mass environmental destructions and related public health problems that is associated with American bomb-related released radioactive and other life-threatening pollutions. The American Occupation has also prevailed over the neglect to the repairing of vital public services-related infrastructure, which include U.S.-led destructions of water systems.

The figure of 100,000 had been based on somewhat "conservative assumptions", notes Les Roberts at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, U.S., who led the study.

That estimate excludes Falluja, a hotspot for violence. If the data from this town is included, the compiled studies point to about 250,000 excess deaths since the outbreak of the U.S.-led war.

Many Americans have complained that more than $200 billion U.S. tax dollars have been diverted from vitally needed public services in the United States, into apparently reckless activities. These activities are resulting in inflicted mass-casualities against totally innocent civilians, which have worsened conditions for political extremism, and ensuing "terrorism".

It is well documented that such activities are being viewed by many Iraqis, and other peoples internationally, to undermine a popular feeling of international security in general. Indeed, polls suggest that Americans felt much more secure under the former political ledership of U.S. President Bill Clinton, as compared to the militaristic strategies which are being pursued by the George W. Bush administration.

http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/news.html

The people who supported this illegal war are partly to be blamed for these deaths.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 08:27 am
The Bush administration didn't have a liberation argument to justify the forthcoming invasion. Bush said over and over again that he was invading to achieve certainty regarding WMD, and only mentioned liberation as something that it was nice for us to be able to do while in the neighborhood.

Also, most of the deaths you are referring to were caused by the insurgents, who routinely set off bombs in public deliberately. The fact that when you invade a country, the enemy sets off bombs in public neither means that the invasion was not justified nor that the invaders were morally responsible for the deaths. We are trying to defeat the people who are responsible for most of these murders.

As for the war being illegal, I won't even debate that because war has traditionally been regarded as extra-legal. The idea that one may only wage war if a bunch of other countries bless it has not been common historically when war has been waged.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:05 am
1. George W. Bush ordered a War of Aggression against Iraq. This constitutes a Crime Against Peace - for which Nazi leaders were prosecuted at the Nuremberg Trials - and violates the UN Charter.

*Iraq never attacked the US or threatened an attack, so the US was not acting legally in self-defense, which is permitted under the UN Charter.
*Iraq played no role in the September 11, 2001 attack on the US and never provided material support to any terrorist group that attacked the US, so even the non-legal Bush doctrine of pre-emptive attack did not apply.
*At the time of the US attack, Iraq was nearing full compliance with UN Resolution 1441 and prior resolutions requiring disarmament, and the majority of the Security Council believed UN inspectors should be given more time, so the US was not enforcing UN resolutions, as it claims.
*George W. Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq in order to bring about a regime change, which was never authorized by a UN resolution, and violates the UN Charter.

A Crime Against Peace is defined as "planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression, or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances, or participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the foregoing." By invading Iraq, Bush has committed a Crime Against Peace.

2. George W. Bush ordered the bombing of civilian areas like Baghdad (with 5 million innocent civilians) and Basra. This resulted in the deaths of hundreds of non-combatants, in violation of Geneva Convention (IV) Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, August 12, 1949.
Article 3(1): The following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to [non-combatants]: (a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture.

Prosecute George W. Bush
for War Crimes
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:29 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Bush administration didn't have a liberation argument to justify the forthcoming invasion. Bush said over and over again that he was invading to achieve certainty regarding WMD, and only mentioned liberation as something that it was nice for us to be able to do while in the neighborhood.

Brandon when did Bush EVER say that he was invading to achieve certainty regarding WMD? Even a single time let alone "over and over?"

I want to see these quotes. I really do.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
Impeachment would not be enough, Prosecute George W. Bush
for War Crimes
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:03 pm
What do you expect. This is war! Casualties occur in all wars. In World War II, 17,439,153 civilians died due to the war.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:08 pm
chr42690 wrote:
What do you expect. This is war! Casualties occur in all wars. In World War II, 17,439,153 civilians died due to the war.

Germany started that war by invading a country that wasn't a threat. Leaders of Germany were tried for war crimes. The comparison does work well. Don't you think? :wink:
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:13 pm
Casualties are goint to happen in wars. That is one of the negative aspects of war but it must be done in order to maintain national security.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
Quote:
Casualties are goint to happen in wars. That is one of the negative aspects of war

The Iraq war is an illegal war, that is the only negative aspect of this war.
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
freedom4free wrote:
The Iraq war is an illegal war, that is the only negative aspect of this war.

How is it illegal?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:30 pm
chr42690 wrote:
Casualties are goint to happen in wars. That is one of the negative aspects of war but it must be done in order to maintain national security.

And Germany had to reoccupy the Rhineland to maintain national security. Poland was also necessary for Germany's security.

Invading another country for "national security" is a very tenuous argument unless they are poised at your border ready to attack you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:46 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon when did Bush EVER say that he was invading to achieve certainty regarding WMD? Even a single time let alone "over and over?"

I want to see these quotes. I really do.

Quote:
The danger is clear: using chemical, biological or, one day, nuclear weapons, obtained with the help of Iraq, the terrorists could fulfill their stated ambitions and kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of innocent people in our country, or any other.

The United States and other nations did nothing to deserve or invite this threat. But we will do everything to defeat it. Instead of drifting along toward tragedy, we will set a course toward safety. Before the day of horror can come, before it is too late to act, this danger will be removed.

Source

And please, don't play childish games about whether I can Google the word "certainty." His stated reason for the invasion was as I have reported it, whether he said this word for word or not. He said he was invading because of the WMD. Freeing the Iraqis was never given as the primary reason for invasion, contrary to what was claimed in the first post.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Impeachment would not be enough, Prosecute George W. Bush
for War Crimes

Please quote a specific line in some treaty we're signatory to, which the president has violated. I believe that you can't and won't.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm
parados wrote:
chr42690 wrote:

Germany started that war by invading a country that wasn't a threat. Leaders of Germany were tried for war crimes. The comparison does work well. Don't you think? :wink:

They weren't tried for the fact of invading. They were tried for crimes committed during prosecution of the war, such as at prison camps.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:01 pm
Brandon, Bushie abused his authority by , "betraying us into war" as Al Gore had the guts to point out. Here's a pledge Bushie betrayed, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:05 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Brandon, Bushie abused his authority by , "betraying us into war" as Al Gore had the guts to point out. Here's a pledge Bushie betrayed, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

You like Gore? Do you realize that he lost against Bush? Bush gets to make the decisions since he beat him!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
Yes I like Gore. Bushie not so much. His torture gulags are a break with the Geneva Convention and the law of the land.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
chr42690 wrote:

This is not a war, it's an attack on a country who did nothing to warrent it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
chr42690 wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:

You like Gore? Do you realize that he lost against Bush? Bush gets to make the decisions since he beat him!

You know, it's very difficult to win any game when your opponent doesn't play fair.
I don't consider buying and stealing votes as any kind of victory!
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:28 pm
Montana wrote:
This is not a war, it's an attack on a country who did nothing to warrent it.

Harboring terrorists doesn't count?
0 Replies