Black Jacques Chirac

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:52 pm

Upset French leader bolts EU meeting after Frenchmen switches languages

BRUSSELS, Belgium - President Jacques Chirac said on Friday he had been so shocked to hear a fellow Frenchman speak English at a European Union summit the previous day that he had felt compelled to leave the room.

"I have to say I was profoundly shocked to see a Frenchman express himself in English at the (EU) Council table. That's why the French delegation and myself walked out rather than listen to that," Chirac told reporters.

Chirac said France had fought for a long time to ensure that French was spoken and used within multinational institutions, from the European Union and United Nations to the Olympic Games.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

"It is not just national interest, it is in the interest of culture and the dialogue of cultures. You cannot build the world of the future on just one language and, hence one culture."

French once dominated the EU, but English has overtaken it since the bloc expanded to take in Nordic countries in the 1990s and east European members in 2004.

Chirac, flanked by his foreign and finance ministers, quit the summit chamber on Thursday when Ernest-Antoine Seilliere, head of a European business lobby, switched from French to English during a speech to EU leaders.

Chirac missed Seilliere urging leaders to "resist national protectionism in order to avoid a negative domino effect" in the EU's internal market, a veiled criticism of France and others who have tried to block cross-border takeovers.

English, French and German are the working languages of the 25-nation bloc, which has no single official language. All 20 languages of the member states are used at summits, ministerial meetings and in the European Parliament.

Seems rather juvenile for a world leader to act this way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,397 • Replies: 24
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:55 pm
Chirac is black? Who knew?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:00 pm
Here's what Le Monde had to say:

Son geste lui a valu des piques de ses partenaires européens, notamment du premier ministre luxembourgeois : "Je ne cesse d'être étonné que nos amis français nous invitent à nous exprimer en français alors qu'un certain nombre de leurs responsables, hors gouvernement, se font une joie de s'exprimer dans un anglais approximatif", a-t-il déclaré.

I'm sure you'd appreciate the irony, McGentrix.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
Why is that Joe?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:19 pm
What an idiot.

I understand his point, and the French desire to maintain their language, but this is just childish.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
Those conservatives sometimes are really funny Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Why is that Joe?

I think the article excerpt that I quoted explains it all.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:38 pm
Laughing @ Joe

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
I think i'd have to say the Luxemburger has a good point there . . . thanks for digging that up, Joe . . .
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:02 pm
In Canada all top politicians switch in mid-speech from English to French and back again.
It is good form to do so, I quite enjoy it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:04 pm
I guess you're not old enough to remember Diefenbaker, huh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:09 pm
detano inipo wrote:
In Canada all top politicians switch in mid-speech from English to French and back again.
It is good form to do so, I quite enjoy it.

Absolutely agreed, detano inipo. Sometimes they can be a bit inadvertently funny - but I'm glad they at least give it a go.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:22 pm
Laughing I swear, Chirac sometimes seems to go out of his friggin way to confirm all the worst stereotypes about the French ... but then, he's always been a pompous bastard
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:53 pm
nimh wrote:
I swear, Chirac sometimes seems to go out of his friggin way to confirm all the worst stereotypes about the French ... but then, he's always been a pompous bastard

This was so when he was merely the mayor of Paris--and may well account for his long-standing popularity . . .
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 07:08 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
Ehem, yes. That is known here.

Do you suppose this to be a proof that he is black? Or is this in your opinion the reason why he doesn't like compatriots to speak in English at EU-conferences?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 08:50 am
Where did McGentrix go? Surely he didn't leave in a huff because I posted something in French.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 08:53 am
I like "Anglais approximatif" -- hehee.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
Isn't that a typical French leave?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:03 am
I didn't leave, I do things on Fridays that don't involve computers.

Walter, "Black Jacques Chirac" was an attempt to compare him to a cartoon character famous in Bugs Bunny cartoons. It was a better title than "Chirac proves himself an ass." I was not saying he was black.
0 Replies