How can anyone be "brought to justice"

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:05 am
The pre-war determination of the Bush administration to "bring the perpetrators of 9/11 to justice" seems contradictory to the administrations' failure to support international conventions that would effectively allow criminals to be tried, and hence, be "brought to justice".
Is "brought to justice", then, neoconservative Bushspeak for "exterminated".

Quote:
The United States of America was one of only 7 nations (joining China, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Qatar and Israel) to vote against the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court in 1998

Source

The US stands in splendid company in their refusal to adhere to what the international community largely supports, but is again implying that they are entitled to a separate set of rules--if they supported the ICC, then they could be found guilty of many of the offenses they accuse others of.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,455 • Replies: 31
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
Re: How can anyone be "brought to justice"
candidone1 wrote:
The pre-war determination of the Bush administration to "bring the perpetrators of 9/11 to justice" seems contradictory to the administrations' failure to support international conventions that would effectively allow criminals to be tried, and hence, be "brought to justice".

Quote:
The United States of America was one of only 7 nations (joining China, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Qatar and Israel) to vote against the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court in 1998

Source

The US stands in splendid company in their refusal to adhere to what the international community largely supports, but is again implying that they are entitled to a separate set of rules--if they supported the ICC, then they could be found guilty of many of the offenses they accuse others of.

Apparently, the US Administration at that time felt it was in our best interest to not support that measure.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:22 am
Do you, then, believe that the perpetrators of 9/11 should not have been/be brought to justice?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:31 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Do you, then, believe that the perpetrators of 9/11 should not have been/be brought to justice?

This response does not follow from my original post so your attempt to derail the thread can stop here.
...and I don't believe I either said or inferred such a thing.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:33 am
Quote:

U.S.: End Bully Tactics against Court Letter to Colin Powell
* U.S. Ambassador Richard Blankenship publicly warned the Bahamas that if it did not support the U.S. position on the ICC, a significant amount of U.S. aid would be withheld, including funds for paving and lighting an airport runway.

* An Assistant Secretary of State informed foreign ministers of Caribbean states that they would lose the benefits for hurricane relief and rural dentistry and veterinary programs if their governments did not sign.

"U.S. officials are engaged in a worldwide campaign pressing small, vulnerable and often fragile democratic governments," said the Human Rights Watch letter, signed by executive director Kenneth Roth. "Because most ICC member states are democracies with a relatively strong commitment to the rule of law, the threatened aid cutoffs represent a sanction primarily targeting states that abide by democratic values."

0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:35 am
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Quote:

Source

Apparently, the US Administration at that time felt it was in our best interest to not support that measure.

Supporting "justice" and supporting the rule of international law should be in the interest of any democracy...regardless of "the time".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:41 am
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

This response does not follow from my original post so your attempt to derail the thread can stop here.
...and I don't believe I either said or inferred such a thing.

I have never tried to derail any thread (although A2K liberals frequently pepper threads I start with observations about my character) unless you count expressing my political opinion as trying to derail it. You said:

candidone1 wrote:
The pre-war determination of the Bush administration to "bring the perpetrators of 9/11 to justice" seems contradictory to the administrations' failure...

I may have been wrong in believing that you were criticizing this statement by Bush, although it seems like you were.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:45 am
Quote:
Unlike the old justice of impunity that allowed the likes of Augusto Pinochet and Pol Pot to go unpunished, the new justice of the international court, known as the ICC, reflects a growing global determination to bring the worst human rights criminals to justice. Yet the Bush administration continues its campaign against the court, although it is increasingly isolated in its opposition.

Quote:
Meanwhile, U.S. envoys have been circling the globe threatening to cut off military aid and other benefits to any government that won't agree by July 1 never to send a U.S. suspect to the ICC. The European Union and its associated states have stood up to this strong-arming, but weaker and more vulnerable governments are having a harder time resisting.

Quote:
The Bush administration tries to justify its quest for such agreements by saying that it doesn't want to be held to a treaty it hasn't ratified. But that falsely characterizes the issue. No one suggests that, without ratification, the ICC should bind the United States. Rather, the question is whether other governments have a right to choose how to address crimes committed on their own territory, even if by U.S. citizens. Under long-accepted legal principles, the British government, say, is entitled to prosecute an American for committing murder on the streets of London. Similarly, in the case of atrocities committed on its territory, Britain can choose to delegate prosecuting power to the ICC. That the United States hasn't ratified the ICC treaty is irrelevant. All that matters is that the government on whose territory an American might commit such crimes has ratified the treaty and granted prosecuting power to the court.

Quote:
The provision must be read in light of the ICC's purpose, however. Ruthless regimes have long committed atrocities with impunity. Dictators occasionally promised prosecutions, but with no international justice system to hold them accountable, the pledges were usually empty. The ICC's ability to override national prosecuting efforts that are not conducted in good faith reflects the determination of ICC member states to move beyond unverified pledges. The agreements sought by the Bush administration would undermine this core ICC principle.
The stakes are high in the struggle to resist the Bush administration's vision of old justice. If Washington prevails, other governments will inevitably try to evade ICC oversight. That will advance impunity.

Source

In the words offered by the Shrub immediately prior to the invasion of Iraq, "you are either with us, or you are with the terrorists."
In this case, it is a fair estimate that "you are either with us, or with the mass murders".
I see where the US stands on this issue, as the international schoolyard bully, who dictates what rules everyone ought to play by.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:50 am
candidone1 wrote:
...In the words offered by the Shrub immediately prior to the invasion of Iraq, "you are either with us, or you are with the terrorists."
In this case, it is a fair estimate that "you are either with us, or with the mass murders".
I see where the US stands on this issue, as the international schoolyard bully, who dictates what rules everyone ought to play by.

In the immediate aftermath of the obliteration of thousands of our citizens in a terrorist attack on one of our cities, it seems understandable that the victims (us) would be extremely angry and crying for revenge. I know it isn't the liberal view, but we were actually the victims on 9/11, not the perpetrators. You would forgive an outraged cry for revenge were it anyone except the United States.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

I have never tried to derail any thread (although A2K liberals frequently pepper threads I start with observations about my character)

Question Question

Brandon9000 wrote:

unless you count expressing my political opinion as trying to derail it. You said:
candidone1 wrote:
The pre-war determination of the Bush administration to "bring the perpetrators of 9/11 to justice" seems contradictory to the administrations' failure...

I wasn't aware that a relatively unrelated question constituted an opinion Brandon.

Brandon9000 wrote:

I may have been wrong in believing that you were criticizing this statement by Bush, although it seems like you were.

I was not only criticizing the bully-Bush administration, but also his predecessors who have also assumed the familiar rejectionist position.
Surely you can agree that if one is to be "brought to justice", they need to be tried in front of an unbiased and neutral court.
If one wants to escalate the level of violence, as opposed to seeking justice in the common sense of the term, they will use war and murder as a synonym for "justice", and they will reject the formation or implementation of any institution that wishes to adhere to the rule of law above self-interest.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
candidone1 wrote:

Surely you can agree that if one is to be "brought to justice", they need to be tried in front of an unbiased and neutral court.If one wants to escalate the level of violence, as opposed to seeking justice in the common sense of the term, they will use war and murder as a synonym for "justice", and they will reject the formation or implementation of any institution that wishes to adhere to the rule of law above self-interest.

You appear to be stating that there is no right to make war, no matter what the provocation. That a country should, rather, submit to a trial of its enemies by a foreign court that may not even have its interests at heart. I disagree strongly, and would point out that grievances like we have in connection with 9/11 have been settled by making war for the entire history of our species.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:00 am
Supporting the ICC is not in the best interests of the US considering the global reach our country exerts.

It's hardly a "rejectionist position" to consider the intrests of ones own country. American courts have a well dignified reputation of being both unbiased and neutral, do you consider them otherwise, or to be somehow less than what the ICC would be or is?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:04 am
McGentrix wrote:
American courts have a well dignified reputation of being both unbiased and neutral

Yes - pity, thus, that the US administration has been so hellbent to keep the alleged terrorists it arrests from ever facing them (eg, the Guantanamo inmates).
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:06 am
nimh wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
American courts have a well dignified reputation of being both unbiased and neutral

Yes - pity, thus, that the US administration has been so hellbent to keep the alleged terrorists it arrests from ever facing them (eg, the Guantanamo inmates).

We do put some terrorists on trial. In different sorts of cases, though, my government's idea about this is that it's inappropriate and not in our interests to handle acts of war as though they were civil infractions.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:14 am
candidone1 wrote:
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Quote:

Source

Supporting "justice" and supporting the rule of international law should be in the interest of any democracy...regardless of "the time".

I will echo McGentrix statement as I agree 100% with his statement.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 12:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Surely you can agree that if one is to be "brought to justice", they need to be tried in front of an unbiased and neutral court.If one wants to escalate the level of violence, as opposed to seeking justice in the common sense of the term, they will use war and murder as a synonym for "justice", and they will reject the formation or implementation of any institution that wishes to adhere to the rule of law above self-interest.

You appear to be stating that there is no right to make war, no matter what the provocation. That a country should, rather, submit to a trial of its enemies by a foreign court that may not even have its interests at heart.

I have made no such suggestion.
I have explicitly stated that "justice" in the conventional meaning of the term, is merely the warm an fuzzy term used by this administration for something that is quite the opposite, in oreder to muster up mass support. Everyone supports "justice", but justice has a definition, and war is by no means a part of that definition.
So, your willingness to state on my behalf that there is no right to make war "no matter what the provocation" is patently false.
What you seem to be glossing over is the fact that American interests trump all others.
The desire for peace, IMO, is a truism. It would be absurd to claim that the international community (those supporting the ICC for example)has a different, or even conflicting notion of what constitutes peace. What has becomes obvious when discussing American foreign policy, is that the international consensus should always play second fiddle to the wills and interestes of the US. The US is dodging the ICC becasue it doesn't want to be held to the same standard as other nations are.
In similar fashion, the US vetoed a Security Council resolutions both condemning terrorism (re: Israel), and one acknowledging that states must follow international law (re: Nicaragua's victory in the World Court), this has gone on even recently in a judgement passed down with respect to the softwood lumber dispute.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I disagree strongly, and would point out that grievances like we have in connection with 9/11 have been settled by making war for the entire history of our species.

Please explain.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 12:57 pm
candidone1 wrote:

Everyone supports "justice", but justice has a definition, and war is by no means a part of that definition.
So, your willingness to state on my behalf that there is no right to make war "no matter what the provocation" is patently false.

A whole lot of people have always believed that justice can be accomplished by war. If you think that justice cannot be accomplished this way, but only in court, then it sounds to me like you're condemning war as a practice, which is not far from the way I characterized you.

candidone1 wrote:

What you seem to be glossing over is the fact that American interests trump all others.

This is not what we believe. We merely look out for our own interests, as does everyone - e.g. when attacked, we fight back even if some other country doesn't approve.

candidone1 wrote:

The desire for peace, IMO, is a truism. It would be absurd to claim that the international community (those supporting the ICC for example)has a different, or even conflicting notion of what constitutes peace.

On the contrary, it would be absurd to claim that all countries agree as to what constitutes justice.

candidone1 wrote:
What has becomes obvious when discussing American foreign policy, is that the international consensus should always play second fiddle to the wills and interestes of the US. The US is dodging the ICC becasue it doesn't want to be held to the same standard as other nations are.
In similar fashion, the US vetoed a Security Council resolutions both condemning terrorism (re: Israel), and one acknowledging that states must follow international law (re: Nicaragua's victory in the World Court), this has gone on even recently in a judgement passed down with respect to the softwood lumber dispute.

Maybe we don't agree with a particular bill as to what does and does not constitute terrorism.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Supporting the ICC is not in the best interests of the US considering the global reach our country exerts.

It's hardly a "rejectionist position" to consider the intrests of ones own country. American courts have a well dignified reputation of being both unbiased and neutral, do you consider them otherwise, or to be somehow less than what the ICC would be or is?

So what about the tactless American bullying campaign to "convince" smaller countries who wish to sign on to the ICC.
Clearly, under your argument of self-interest, the US is again showing that their interests trupm those of anyone else.
...again, this polarized worldview where "you are either with us or.....against us."
To take an example of the dignified reputation of the American system has in investigating it's own crimes, take for example the bombing of Iran Air 665 in 1988. In spite of the fact that the US Vincennes was, without question, demonstrably at fault, heroic achievement medals were handed out to those responsible and GHW Bush, again in spite of damning evidence of both negligence and aggression, stated "I will never apologize for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what it has done. I don't care what the facts are."
This is but one example of how dignified the US is in investigating their own crimes.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
candidone1 wrote:
What has becomes obvious when discussing American foreign policy, is that the international consensus should always play second fiddle to the wills and interestes of the US. The US is dodging the ICC becasue it doesn't want to be held to the same standard as other nations are.

Yes, International consensus should ALWAYS play second fiddle to the wills and intrests of the US. Especially when it concerns Americans.

Your reason for dodging the ICC is false though.

Quote:
In similar fashion, the US vetoed a Security Council resolutions both condemning terrorism (re: Israel),

Because it did not apply equally to Palestinian terrorism. Why do you choose not to accept that fact or do you choose to simply ignore it?

Quote:
and one acknowledging that states must follow international law (re: Nicaragua's victory in the World Court), this has gone on even recently in a judgement passed down with respect to the softwood lumber dispute.

This is a good example of why the US is not a signatury to the ICC. Because it hands down idiotic rulings like the one from Nicaragua...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:20 pm
candidone1 wrote:
So what about the tactless American bullying campaign to "convince" smaller countries who wish to sign on to the ICC.

I believe that is called "foriegn policy". The US carries a very large economic club and we have no problem using it to our own benefit.

Quote:
Clearly, under your argument of self-interest, the US is again showing that their interests trupm those of anyone else.

Yes, it does.

Quote:
...again, this polarized worldview where "you are either with us or.....against us."

So?

Quote:
To take an example of the dignified reputation of the American system has in investigating it's own crimes, take for example the bombing of Iran Air 665 in 1988. In spite of the fact that the US Vincennes was, without question, demonstrably at fault, heroic achievement medals were handed out to those responsible and GHW Bush, again in spite of damning evidence of both negligence and aggression, stated "I will never apologize for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what it has done. I don't care what the facts are."
This is but one example of how dignified the US is in investigating their own crimes.

You will be hard pressed to find another nation as open and judicious as the US is regarding internal examinations of wrongdoings. They are mostly made public and often times embarrassing to the nation. Take as an example the terrorist surveillance program, the various presidential scandals, enron, etc... the list of investigations showing the dignified reputation of the American justice system is far vaster than any examples you can give to the contrary.
0 Replies