WOO HOOOOOO!!! I gotta job interview

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
Yesterday I sent my resume to 8 different companies. Today I got a call and I have a job interview!

I am so nervous... I have been with my company for almost two years now. I know I need a change, but at the same time I am worried.

Any tips?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,047 • Replies: 19
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:44 am
Congrats, girl!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:46 am
Well done to you.
Whats the job for?
Will yuo still have internet access?Dont think I can handle life without having you to moan to.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
First of all, good luck!

Come dressed for the job.
Come five minutes early.

If you can, learn as much as possible about the company with whom you are interviewing. Get a sense of what they are about, so that YOU can ask intelligent questions of the interviewer.

Here is a list of questions an interviewer might ask you. Go over them and get a sense of what you might say in a response.

http://www.quintcareers.com/interview_question_database/interview_questions.html

Do not put down your former job, employer, or co-workers. If the interviewer asks you why you want to leave your present position, talk about growth, change of interests, etc.

Talk about what you think that you can do for THEIR company. The idea is to point out how your strengths and experience can be used in a their organization.

Don't focus too much on benefits and other perks. Unless you are applying for a top level executive position, it is best to downplay those things. Ask only general questions, and don't dwell on them. You can always get into specifics when you are offered the job.

Hey, knock 'em dead! Remember, even if you don't get this job, each interview will be a great learning experience.

Good luck, again! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Great news!

Tips:

- Dress way more professionally than you might think you "need" to -- try to look more like the bosses than the people at your level.

- Bring a briefcase or folder with extra copies of your resume, nicely printed, and any other info you have (letters of recommendation, sheet with phone numbers of people who are your references, the job announcement, etc.).

- Research the company.

- Have some questions ready for the interviewer at the end.

- Be relaxed and reactive -- just follow the interviewer's lead.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Thanks! It is for clerical support

And I doubt I will have internet time
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:52 am
Check out the company's website so that you have an idea of what they do, who's in charge, etc. You don't need to memorize everything or even most things, but it does show you're taking an interest in the company and not just in what they can pay you. Hmm, dress nicely, firm handshake, look 'em in the eye, the usual stuff, uh, smile. I find I can -- eek -- forget to smile, and it really does help. Not grin like an idiot, just have a pleasant expression. It helps.

And good luck to ya!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
Crazielady420 wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:55 am
material girl wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

No to the job or the internet time? lol
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:15 am
Internet time!!

Your the only person that speaks my 'bored' language.Who will I complain to now?!
Tho, when I have my own multi million pound busines which I will start at the end of the year I wont have time to complain.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:16 am
Hey when you start up that business, you know where I am... so if you ever want to help out a fellow boredee... ya know :-D

I am not sure if I will even take the job if they offer it, I don't want to take a pay decrease
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Try this recent A2K thread in the Life at Work forum:

Job Interview Tips
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:12 am
Itl be a confidence boost if they do offer it to yuo.
At least you can choose then if you want the job or not.
Is it less pay then?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:28 am
I am not sure what the pay is... It just described the job in the article
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:29 pm
Good luck, Cl dahlink. I know you'll do fine!

I have noooo self confidence, but I do well in interviews just because I make sure I go into it reminding myself that 1. it's easy to be friendly, and that's a huge part of making a good impression; and 2. it's one of the only times in your life when you SHOULD talk about yourself and your strengths--so enjoy it! Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:32 pm
drink lots of beer before you go. !!
Helps keep the interviewers attention! Very Happy
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
Thanks everyone!

Shewolf... how's bout some vodka and I shall smoke some herb too and not shower until the intervied is over!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:07 pm
right on!

you are SOOOO gonna get that job. Laughing

( good luck by the way )
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:27 pm
Quote:
how's bout some vodka and I shall smoke some herb too

don't forget to take a breath mint Wink

its been my experience that the interviewer is usually just as (if not more) nervous than the interviewee...

good luck, CL!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
Whoa! These last few posts have reminded me of something. Don't come to the interview wearing perfume. The interviewer may be allergic, and you are going to an interview, not a night club!
0 Replies