"People were deprived of their rights...

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:35 pm
...in the name of the state and saw no harm in it."

I was channel surfing last night and saw part of a History Channel documentary on the rise of Hitler and Nazism in Germany, and that line was spoken by the narrator. I was chilled by certain similarities in Hitler's approach to some of what's been happening in the U.S. since 9/11/01.

To what extent are Americans willing to see rights eroded (especially the rights of others) in the name of national security? And to what extent is the loss of these rights a goal that certain politicians would have liked to pursue under any conditions? Is the War on Terrorism, which will have no end, a rationale for further clampdowns?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 924 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:55 pm
Re: "People were deprived of their rights...
D'artagnan wrote:
To what extent are Americans willing to see rights eroded (especially the rights of others) in the name of national security?

I suspect that very few people want to see any rights eroded. The fog is over what is really happening and what people at various points along the political spectrum CLAIM is happening.

Quote:
And to what extent is the loss of these rights a goal that certain politicians would have liked to pursue under any conditions?

Certian politicians? Being a politician of any stripe nowadays means persuing the limiting of someones rights. We (society) may flip-flop back and forth between focusing on which rights are in danger and how rights are interpreted but there isn't a politican out there that doesn't have a goal of implementing something that doesn't infringe on one right or another.

Quote:
Is the War on Terrorism, which will have no end, a rationale for further clampdowns?

Probably. Not a good rationale but a rationale none the less. It's the same as the war on drugs, the war on poverty and countless other "wars". The name changes but the game stays the same.
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 02:10 pm
some processes, once getting started, is unlikely to stop. and it is a process which the US is undergoing. --is this the rationale? yes, i can't think another way.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 02:42 pm
I saw that chilling feature on the History Channel also.

The more things change -- the more they stay the same.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 03:53 pm
D'artagnan:

Quote:
To what extent are Americans willing to see rights eroded (especially the rights of others) in the name of national security?

Your premise , D'artagnan, is indeed powerful and possibly without intending to be: threatning.......although I doubt it.

Maybe, enlightning?

Absolute freedom of which we Americans all "deserve" in spades, would require a state of complete ......lawlessness.

"I do not like laws!"

"I do not like any freedom to be denied me. Whatsoever!"

"I refuse to give up a single freedom in the name of the common "good"!"

"I will rail against any infringement on my "rights"!"

"I will consider any attempt to regulate my ability to "come and go" ,as I please, an insidious attempt at Dictatorship....Nazism.....or even , Worse.

D'artagnan, the absence of "denial" of rights.....is anarchy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 03:58 pm
Your point is well taken, KYN2000, but:

The rights I was referring to aren't rights in any absolute sense (i.e., the right to do whatever we want at any time), but the rights that Americans are accustomed to enjoying.

Such as, for example, the right to borrow books from a public library and feel secure that the records are confidential. This is one of the rights we've lost under the new anti-terrorism law.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 04:26 pm
D'art

Yes I am with you, on the creeping subtleties of the loss of freedoms.

I did use a hammer in my above response to make my point!

And you do indeed remind us all, of the slippery slope to the erosion of our "American Way" of life.

It can be insidious!

But, having said that, I am not on the fence on this one.

My stance is: strenght against Political Correctness!

The pendulum does indeed swing between these two worlds of "freedoms".

I prefer to err on the one side, and NOT the other.

If I am wrong: God help us.

But we could and will recover.

If the other view prevails...........

We won't be able to even find the Constitution.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 04:54 pm
I'm not sure that Political Correctness is the issue here, KYN2000.

If the War Against Terrorism goes on indefinitely, as it certainly is likely to, then it may be hard to regain the rights we've given up.

What scared me about that Hitler program on the History Channel last night is that people WILLINGLY went along with what the regime demanded from them. No more unions. Set up concentration camps for dissenters and other undesirables. Take away rights of Jews and others.

Why? Because the gov't said it was necessary.

Why are we giving up certain rights now? Because the gov't says it's necessary. That's the parallel that bothers me...
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 06:16 pm
D'art

Quote:
If the War Against Terrorism goes on indefinitely, as it certainly is likely to, then it may be hard to regain the rights we've given up.

Is the suggestion that this war, not go on indefinitey?

Who is it that has made these changes in our way of life....since September 11, 2001?

The United States?

Some would say (especially on the internet) yes? Such is internet chat.

In hindsight D'art ( in your favor) the interment of Japanese Americans after Peral Harbor, is a stain upon our goverrnment. Never to be erased.

So I am not deaf to your thoughts.

But with the potential (and I suggest the real potential being, imminent ) of a nuclear attack against one of our major cities.....the times are not equal.

Political Correctness is not the issue?

Political Correctness taken to it's truest level, is indeed the only issue.

And would without question, allow those who would destroy us, do so.....freely and willingly!

"I will NOT give up a SINGLE freedom....... no matter which and no matter if it be......... in the name of survival"!

....so goes the argument.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 01:05 am
Interesting article:

Trading Freedom for Security
0 Replies