I have never heard of ouzo or absinthe... what in the world are those? Razz

Ouzo

Absinthe

Whoa... don't know if I could handle that stuff! Shocked

Momma... oh yeah... duur... glad I asked! LOL I'm such a dork... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:54 pm
HEPH -- NO GREASE!!! Try something from the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast (dry)... Ginger ale is also easy to sip (easier and better than plain watter), especially flat. The ginger helps keep your stomach muscles from contracting.

Ginger ale and the BRAT plan has gotten me through many a gin-soaked Sunday...

The best thing about Ouzo is that if you (ta-daaa!) mix a shot of ouzo (looks like water) with a shot of water (looks like ouzo) you get something that looks like milk! Tastes nasty to me but if you've got someone who'll drink it you can do Bar Magic (for drinks of course)...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
mmm Ouzo and Absinthe!

Very good after a heavy meal. Not so great to get drunk on. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:13 pm
you can always dilute the absinthe with the ouzo

of course you would have to be suicidal to drink it...but in theory its possible.

You heheLOL make me laugh fizzbar how do you hoho find time to lolhehehe be ill between chuckles?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:31 pm
I remember the night I drank a bottle of Mezcal '2 Worm' Tequila shot for shot with my friend....when we got down to eating the worms, I dropped mine and lost it in her fluffy mat not once but 3 times, the thing was covered in hair......great night.....awful hangover!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:33 pm
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:40 pm
LOL yeeeeess I know sucker for punishment MA
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:45 pm
Read the email I sent. I am dying here. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:52 pm
It sounds like maybe absinthe isn't actually as problematic as previously thought, when processed properly.

Hmph, can't find the article I just read about this anywhere online. It was called "Green Gold : The Return of Absinthe" by Jack Turner, and was in a recent issue of the New Yorker. This one guy has figured out how to make absinthe just as it used to be done -- including using the old apparatus at the Pernod (?) factory, which had been used as a museum for (a long time). Anyway, while wormwood is definitely bad news, when they distilled it properly, all of the bad news was left in the vat -- the liquor that came out through these intricate copper tubes didn't have any of the scary stuff.

After reading the article, I definitely wanted some.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:27 pm
Much if not all of absinthe's reputation as being somehow more insidious than other quaffable distillates arose due to adulerants and improper distillation characteristic of cheaper brands of the liquor during its latter-19th Century/early 20th Century heyday. Apart from the questionable alcohol and harmful alduterants present in some popular brands of absinthe before WWI, the terpene thujone, a component of wormwood and some other botanicals, a contributor primarily to the subtly unique flavor of absinthe as compared to other anise-flavored liquors and liquers, has been identified as having physioneurologic effect. In higher concentrations than would be found in any potable, it is a known convulsant, and can have other psychotropic effect. An article from the pharmacologic journal Current Drug Discovery, reproduced here[/b] discusses all this at some detail.

The fact the stuff has comparatively high alcohol content - commonly above 100 proof as compared to the more typical 80 or 86 proof of other hard liquors on the general market, and that it tastes good, is very smooth, and has a crisp, refreshing aftertaste along with a very appealing bouquet prolly is why it kicks your butt before you know what its doing the way it does.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:31 pm
C'mon now, I'm learning things here! Who woulda thunk that booze could lead to learning.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:33 pm
LOL. It's a good thing I'm not drinking or I wouldn't be able to look up all those words Timber! Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
LOL. It's a good thing I'm not drinking or I wouldn't be able to look up all those words Timber! Laughing

You don't wanna ask me about stuff like wave propogation or thin-film capacitance, then.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:39 pm
Am writing that down for future reference..........
0 Replies