Internet Explorer, or, "Why Does Everything Happen To Me"?

Stoat

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:43 pm
dlowan,

If you're referring to "Clippy" from the Microsoft Office suite, you can change between the different characters (they have a nice kitty there too) or turn them all off. I seem to recall that you can change such options via right-click. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:50 pm
yes - the puppy told me I could turn it off - I quite like it so far!

Clippy deserved to be hanged, drawn and quartered!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:54 pm
Actually, I already have a ridiculous story!

I was trying to test the mike last night - couldn't get anyone else with one to co-operate - so I went into Yahoo and chose a voice chat room (those places are BARNYARDS!). Tried a couple of rooms - I could hear, but was not sure I could be heard - I didn't want to become part of THOSE conversations, lol - so, I got to one where nobody was actually copulating, and sighed heavily when I thought the thing wasn't working - only to have someone tell me they could report me for sighing like that!!! Oy veh...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:24 pm
Good point about XP's vastly improved "Help" function, Stoat ... I'd just about forgotten the Help button could be useful for checking anything beyond which version was installed.

Rabble rousin', eh, bunny Shocked Laughing

Well, you can sigh at me anytime you want.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:34 pm
Sigh.....heehee....scampers off....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
Hey - thanks for telling me to update! I was waaaaaaaay behind!!!

This firewall is a hoot - some smegger from Montevideo tried to attack my computer - cute watching the tracker move around and settle in Brazil.

I assume this happens all the time- only I never knew. What would anyone do with MY computer?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:07 am
If you are on dialup your firewall is almost certainly lying to you (or greatly exagerrating the threat).

Anywho the city and contry are mixed up..?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:13 am
LOL! Now I have to worry about lying firewalls?

Why would it lie? Is it a Goebbels? Seriously!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:16 am
Most security software act like they need dragons to kill. So if a gnat comes along they make like it was an epic battle with your soul at stake.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:22 am
That is what I thought you meant - actually, it said there was no problem - it had slain the dragon with one hand tied behind its back - mind you, gnats kill, if you mean mosquitoes.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 01:32 pm
dlowan's firewall
Hello dlowan,

I did a quick Googling of the keywords "norton firewall false positives" and got quite a few relevant hits, among them articles from reviewers who noticed numerous false positives and also reviewers who didn't mention it one way or another. I haven't used the Norton firewall but I did use the premium Zone Alarm firewall some years ago and also got a few obvious falsies....I found that this behavior of the firewall could be tweaked and adjusted so that it didn't drive me crazy while still giving me a "fully stealthed" rating from the "Shields Up" site at:

www.grc.com

Considering how much time you spend causing trouble online, it's a good idea for you to have a firewall because you're likely logged in almost as much as you would be with a broadband connection anyway. Be sure to read all of the instructions pertaining to the operation and setup of the firewall, and then you will likely be able to locate some easy tweaks that will make it much more pleasant to live with while still providing you with the gentlemanly protections that all proper Aussie ladies deserve Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 01:40 pm
Re: dlowan's firewall
Stoat wrote:
and then you will likely be able to locate some easy tweaks that will make it much more pleasant to live with while still providing you with the gentlemanly protections that all proper Aussie ladies deserve Smile

sheeesh!@ Choke! Snorkle!! Razz Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 01:56 pm
Hello Margo,

Sorry that I wasn't suitably inclusive. Naturally, improper Aussie ladies as well as full-fledged brazen hussies deserve online protection as well :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 03:24 pm
Ha! Got ya wiv THAT one, didn't he Margo!
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:49 am
Re: dlowan's firewall
Stoat wrote:
Hello dlowan,

I did a quick Googling of the keywords "norton firewall false positives" and got quite a few relevant hits, among them articles from reviewers who noticed numerous false positives and also reviewers who didn't mention it one way or another. I haven't used the Norton firewall but I did use the premium Zone Alarm firewall some years ago and also got a few obvious falsies....I found that this behavior of the firewall could be tweaked and adjusted so that it didn't drive me crazy while still giving me a "fully stealthed" rating from the "Shields Up" site at:

I run a Apache server on my box and after checking the logs I get attacked often. Every couple of minutes someone tries to get into my computer. It runs OS X so .exe files don't work. They most likely won't work on Windows either. (hopefully) But, there are tons of nasty things trying to get in your computer. So, use the firewall and use the patches from Microsoft and you should be fine.

I also have a static IP so that might help me get attacked more.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:05 am
Ok - (and welcome, Jpowell!) what is a static IP? And what is a non-static one?
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:00 am
Static -- I always have the same address ex. 12.225.47.54

My computer has a perminent place on the internet. That is where you can reach me. Like a phone number. It never changes.

Dynamic -- Dial-up uses dynamic. You get a new number each time you connect to the internet. Some (most) DSL and Cable companies force this. If you run a server, this is a pain in the arse. It's like getting a new phone number every 24 hours.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:24 am
thankee!
0 Replies