Back to 1969 - a year in the rainforest (thread 69)

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:31 am
No, I think it was the slant 6 engine that I was thinking about.

We didn't get the rain that we had hoped for. Lucky if we got 3/4 of an inch.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:55 am
Oh no, sumac. I went out in the yard and fanned the rain in your direction as hard as I could. Oh, well. I'll try to do better next time.

Yeah, Stradee, those were much simpler autos to work on too. For example the '55 Chevy - on one of the autos my clutch started to slip. So I bought a new clutch plate, parked the car across a dry ditch and crawled under it - 20 minutes later, new clutch in place I drove it off. Another time I had thrown a piston rod and the engine seized and stopped. A friend towed me to a junkyard that I knew had some '55 Chevys and I made a deal with the dealer - for $20 I got my pick of engines in his junkyard and used his tow truck to pull it - I then removed the engine from my car (in his front parking area) and dropped the junkyard engine in my car - attached everything that it needed to run - filled it with fresh oil and water - cranked it up and drove off. All in all it took less than two hours. Yep those autos were a dream to work on. I figured that the engines in the junkyard cars were running when they were wrecked so were still good. I was right, the replacement engine ran well for years.

I look under the hood of my now auto and it is soooo full of stuff you can't even see the ground through it. It's all computerized and it's lifeline depends entirely on sensors stuck all over it. Whew.........

All clicked for MA and Me.
0 Replies

AaTruly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:10 am
From time to time I check the Leaderboard to see how the scoreboard reflects our Wildclickers team. It's at this Website:

http://rainforest.care2.com/leaderboard.html

We are no longer shown as the #1 team. In fact, we are no longer shown at all, as though we do not exist. Teams with 30-something acres to their credit are shown as the #1 and #2 team.

Piffle!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:14 am
AaTruly - the leaderboard mutates on an almost hourly basis. I sometimes manage to catch it on days when we're up, sometimes not - those are the days where you can see the calculation for number of acres.

<which reminds me, I need to followup with my email to the care2 folks about the funky leaderboard>
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
Hello Aa-

the leaderboard seems to be acting up- as so often.

ehBeth,
I just read in the news that Canada has had the warmest winter since ages, and that Saskatchewan is one of the "hot spots" this year. 2C higher than normal.
Looking at the current temperature it is still way to cold for me.

Susan,
yes, spring came very quickly. 3 days of mild weather and you can see the buds growing. But there will be again cold days with some snoe flurries. Mid May is the time when we can start planting.

Dream cars- just for fun I will show you what car we had in 1970.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
http://www.citroen.ac/agalerie/images/52-2cv-600.JPG

This is just the type of car, a 2CV. I painted it navy blue with bright yellow stars on the hood and more stars and a moon on the back.
Easy to fix, fun to drive. THE students' car!
Here it is known as "Duck", our American friends called it "Pumkin".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:30 am
<giggling>

that's a cute lil car
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
Hi everybody - double clicked - that's nine. They must have knocked us off the leader board because it's too discouraging to everybody else.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:10 pm
Ul,
Are the back wheels on that car tilted inward?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
This is an absolutely heartbreaking story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/21/AR2006032101722.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

"Inuit See Signs In Arctic Thaw
String of Warm Winters Alarms 'Sentries for the Rest of the World'

By Doug Struck
Washington Post Foreign Service
Wednesday, March 22, 2006; A01

PANGNIRTUNG, Canada -- Thirty miles from the Arctic Circle, hunter Noah Metuq feels the Arctic changing. Its frozen grip is loosening; the people and animals who depend on its icy reign are experiencing a historic reshaping of their world.

Fish and wildlife are following the retreating ice caps northward. Polar bears are losing the floes they need for hunting. Seals, unable to find stable ice, are hauling up on islands to give birth. Robins and barn owls and hornets, previously unknown so far north, are arriving in Arctic villages.

The global warming felt by wildlife and increasingly documented by scientists is hitting first and hardest here, in the Arctic where the Inuit people make their home. The hardy Inuit -- described by one of their leaders as "sentries for the rest of the world" -- say this winter was the worst in a series of warm winters, replete with alarms of the quickening transformation that many scientists expect will spread from the north to the rest of the globe......

....."These are things that all of our old oral history has never mentioned," said Enosik Nashalik, 87, the eldest of male elders in this Inuit village. "We cannot pass on our traditional knowledge, because it is no longer reliable. Before, I could look at cloud patterns or the wind, or even what stars are twinkling, and predict the weather. Now, everything is changed." "
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:53 pm
http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateien/members61/aetel/wackelente.gif

Yes, they are-
wobbles like a duck. Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
That must feel weird, Ul.

You mentioned your spring planting date in May. Ours average last frost date (theoretical planting date) is about April 8th. Quite a difference.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:42 pm
http://www.livescience.com/environment/060321_green_growth.html

"Surprise: Rainforest Grows When It's Dry
By LiveScience Staff

Most plants do their growing during the rainy season and stall out when it's dry. But in much of the Amazon rainforest, dry spells bring on growth spurts.

The finding, announced today, surprised scientists.

"Most of the vegetation around the world follows a general pattern in which plants get green and lush during the rainy season, and then during the dry season, leaves fall because there's not enough water in the soil to support plant growth," said lead researcher Alfredo Huete of the University of Arizona.

"What we found for a large section of the Amazon is the opposite," Huete said. "As soon as the rains stop and you start to enter a dry period, the Amazon becomes alive. New leaves spring out, there's a flush of green growth and the greening continues as the dry season progresses." "
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:43 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:45 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 293 friends have supported 2,294,958.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 103,993.0 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 293 friends have supported: (103,993.0)

American Prairie habitat supported: 49,438.6 square feet.
You have supported: (11,892.3)
Your 293 friends have supported: (37,546.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,141,527.0 square feet.
You have supported: (169,292.6)
Your 293 friends have supported: (1,972,234.4)

~~~~~~~~~~~

2294958.6 square feet is equal to 52.69 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:14 am
ul, that lil' car rocks!

Dan, recall installing a rebuilt for the 49 Chevy, in the garage, using a three legged chain hoist. kaching kaching kaching.... and praying the switch that held the chain in place when the engine was attached to it <suspended in the air> didn't disengate. Murphys Law. <grin>

sue, read the article afruada posted at aimoos Defenders thread regarding the removal of two inuit groups from their homeland. Criminal.

ehBeth, any news regarding the listing of aktbirds at care2? Have they deliberately removed the team stats from the listing - or are they only listing individual clickers <the page that appeared when i clicked the leaderboard link just a few minutes ago>.

Weathers mild today - and for the next three days, hurray!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:58 am
Morning, wildclickers. Going to click now.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:50 am
Morning all,

ul, that's a cool looking auto. Patti and I love those small autos in Europe - they are small on the outside, but, INSIDE they are very roomy - AND, they GO FAST.......!! I know, because following our last visit when we returned home here in TX - a letter was waiting from an autobahn official near Graz asking for money..... I sent it to them. It was a hidden camera in a construction zone that got me.. big grin

Stradee, Yeah, those old engine blocks were heavy. Speaking of Murphys Law - the saying is (I believe) taken from a Benjamin Disraeli quote. At least that sticks in my mind.

Would someone please click for me next Tuesday the 28th of this month????

all ckilked this day for MA and Me.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:32 am
Fascinating insights into the modus operandi of bushco, particularly as regards the court ruling last week involving the EPA and the Clean Air Act. These guys are worse than Clinton in trying to redefine terms to get their way.

This is an editorial from today's Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/22/AR2006032202056_pf.html

"New Source Rebuke

Thursday, March 23, 2006; A22

ONE MIGHT HOPE that after its rebuke last week by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, the Bush administration would reconsider its efforts to rewrite the rules governing power plant emissions. The three-judge panel included two of the court's more liberal judges and one of President Bush's most controversial recent conservative appointees, Janice Rogers Brown.

The panel threw out the Environmental Protection Agency's rule on what is called New Source Review as flatly at odds with the Clean Air Act. Unfortunately, there is no particular reason to expect the administration to come to its senses in response. It is still trying to curtail enforcement against old coal-fired plants that fail to install new pollution-control technologies.

Legally, New Source Review does not pose a hard question. The clean-air law, the relevant part of which was passed in 1977, did not require every plant to immediately retrofit with pollution-control technologies. But it did require that plants install new pollution-fighting equipment when they made "any physical change" that increased pollution output. This law went largely unenforced until the Clinton administration, which filed a number of actions against companies that had not complied. On taking office, the Bush administration -- while not dropping the lawsuits -- tried a different approach: rewriting the rules.

Under the new rule, which has been blocked by the court since its release in 2003, "any physical change" does not really mean any physical change, only a change that exceeds 20 percent of the replacement value of the plant or changes its basic design somehow. Anything short of that gets excluded as "routine maintenance." The court, quite rightly, was having none of it. "Only in a Humpty Dumpty world," wrote Judge Judith W. Rogers, could the government ignore Congress's use of a word such as "any." In other words, the Clean Air Act, including the provisions the administration doesn't like, means what it says.

Yet the administration may not have finished trying to read this law out of existence -- or, at least, into a more timid existence. It is still trying to redefine the other essential feature of a plant modification that triggers New Source Review: that the modification "increases" the amount of pollution the plant emits. Again, this seems like a straightforward matter. It increases it if the amount after the change exceeds the amount before it, right? Wrong -- at least according to the administration, which wants to define "increase" in terms of the emissions a plant is potentially capable of spewing rather than the actual amount of spewing it does. The D.C. Circuit -- the court whose interpretations bind the agency -- already rejected this interpretation in another case last year, making the proposed EPA policy seem simply lawless. The court's common-sense ruling last week is a promising sign that its judges won't sit still for further efforts to ignore the law."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:34 am
Sure, Dan. I'll click for you. How do I get your info?
0 Replies