Back to 1969 - a year in the rainforest (thread 69)

danon5

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 03:35 pm
Ahh, sumac, yes, it has been raining without let up here for the past three days. We are in no danger of flooding but some low area are warning of the danger of flash flooding.
Funny, when we first moved here Patti asked about flooding - my simple answer was 'If we are flooded - most of the world is swimming already.'

Ohh, Stradee, I had two '55 Chevies - one in '62 and one in '64. At the time they were just transport - but NOW. I sure wish I had one of them still. My brother who lives in Texarkana, TX just up the road from me still has his '55 Chevy he bought in '57. It still runs.

all clicked..................................
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
Officially spring has sprung about 4 hours ago!
Hope the weather got that message.

Back to work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:51 pm
Spring. Ha!
It's colder today than it was for most of February.
It's been an odd odd winter.

~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 292 friends have supported 2,291,376.3 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 103,641.8 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 292 friends have supported: (103,641.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 49,321.6 square feet.
You have supported: (11,868.9)
Your 292 friends have supported: (37,452.7)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,138,413.0 square feet.
You have supported: (169,245.7)
Your 292 friends have supported: (1,969,167.3)

~~~~~~~~~~~

2291376.3 square feet is equal to 52.60 acres

~~~~~~~~

edit: just got a note from the real deal, the one and only aktbird57 - he's still with us - not just a clicking finger
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:07 am
Dan, when i was in h.s. - drove a 1950 Chevy 2 door hard top <my very first car> - then a 58 Impala - and a 53 Bel Air - and my fav - the 55 Chevy. If my grades were good, I drove. If they wearn't - then i rode the school bus. Dad was a very smart man. <grin>

Thanks for the articles, sue!

I cannot wait for Spring to arrive! <if ever> Lots of rain the past few days, and more expected through the rest of the week. <sigh>

Good news from the neighborhood. The herds been chatting with a kitten that arrived a few weeks ago and who i thought was one of the neighbors new kittens> but chatting with neighbors today at work - he and his wife told me that my Bella brought the kitten to my neighbors house! The second kitten Bella's rescued - and brought to the same house! They are very neat people. Mz Bella agrees. Smile
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:37 am
Neat about Bella. I guess she figures that are already enough at her abode so didn't bring her there. Will the neighbors keep the new kitten?

I am envious of your rain. We were supposed to get a decent amount last night and this morning but it appears to have fizzled out to not much at all.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:40 am
The Washington Post is very good about covering environmental issues.

From today's edition:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/20/AR2006032001595.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

"Conservationists Vie To Buy Forest Habitat
Timber Firms' Sell-Off Worries Groups

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 21, 2006; A01

FORT BRAGG, Calif. -- The Big River tract in California's Mendocino County is a sprawling expanse of towering redwoods and Douglas firs, woods that for years have provided an ideal habitat for rare spotted owls and endangered coho salmon and steelhead trout. Now, it's all up for sale.

Big River, neighboring Salmon Creek and dozens of other forests across the nation have come on the market in recent years as timber companies shed holdings that are worth more as real estate than as a source of lumber. The trend has spurred a land rush that has conservation groups scrambling to raise money to buy environmentally sensitive tracts in competition with private investors seeking to snap up the land for development......

.....The sales have attracted limited national attention because they are mostly private transactions and involve local planning decisions, but the stakes are enormous. In the Pacific Northwest, New England, Southeast and parts of the upper Midwest, traditional timber companies or newly emerging timber investment management organizations, known as TIMOs, own vast stretches of forest that rival the national forest system......

.....International Paper Co. spokeswoman Amy J. Sawyer said her company is "contemplating selling some or all" of its 6.8 million acres of forest land scattered across the country and focusing on producing more profitable products such as uncoated papers and packages.

"We're exploring whether there's more value in holding and operating the land or in selling it," Sawyer said. "That's what we're weighing." "
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:42 am
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:19 am
http://www.livescience.com/environment/060320_diversity.html

"Humans Fuel Worst Extinction Since End of Dinosaurs
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Managing Editor
posted: 20 March 2006
01:51 pm ET

Changes to Earth's biodiversity have occurred more rapidly in the past 50 years than at any time in human history, creating a species loss greater than anything since a major asteroid impact wiped out the dinosaurs.

That's the conclusion of Global Biodiversity Outlook 2, a report released today by the United Nation's Convention on Biological Diversity.

"In effect, we are currently responsible for the sixth major extinction event in the history of the Earth, and the greatest since the dinosaurs disappeared, 65 million years ago," the report states.

The wide-ranging report also states that demand for resources globally exceeds the biological capacity of the Earth by some 20 percent. "
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:20 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060321/sc_nm/energy_alternative_investors_dc

" Alternative energy attracting more investors
By Lisa Haarlander
Mon Mar 20, 11:04 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A perfect storm of high energy prices, government subsidies and renewed interest from Wall Street is boosting investment in wind, solar and other alternative energy projects, said fund managers and other experts on Monday at a conference on renewable energy. "
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:43 am
sumac wrote:
Neat about Bella. I guess she figures that are already enough at her abode so didn't bring her there. Will the neighbors keep the new kitten?

I am envious of your rain. We were supposed to get a decent amount last night and this morning but it appears to have fizzled out to not much at all.

Mz Bellas' the herds watchcat, and apparently the neighborhood adoption agency for feral or abandoned kittens. The neighbors will keep the kitten. Smile

Just in time too - more freezing rain today and tomorrow. <sigh>
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:37 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4827362.stm

"Climate link to African malaria

By Richard Black
Environment Correspondent, BBC News website

Rising temperatures may partly explain increasing cases of malaria in regions of Africa, new research suggests.
Temperatures in East African highlands have risen by half a degree Celsius in the last 50 years, scientists found.

Writing in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), they say this small rise may have doubled the number of malaria-carrying mosquitoes.

Malaria has recently emerged in parts of the highlands, with climate change one possible explanation among many."
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
Sunshine, mild, snowdrops out over night, the very first stork arrived today.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:53 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 292 friends have supported 2,293,811.3 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 103,782.2 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 292 friends have supported: (103,782.2)

American Prairie habitat supported: 49,391.8 square feet.
You have supported: (11,892.3)
Your 292 friends have supported: (37,499.5)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,140,637.3 square feet.
You have supported: (169,269.2)
Your 292 friends have supported: (1,971,368.1)

~~~~~~~~~~

2293811.3 square feet is equal to 52.66 acres
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:12 pm
Wow, Ul. Your spring arrived fast.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
Stradee wrote:
Hurray! Found a photo! < chevy a b/w convertable - same body/ type as the pic>

http://www.musclecarnationals.com/gallery/impala/59impala0405.jpg

Stradee,

I used to have a two tone beige and tan Chevy just like this in "65"! My Baby!! I loved it!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
ehBeth,

Just added anither clicker ... Master Technician ... I'm a baaaad man.Six ciclicks today.

Anon
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:22 pm
Way to go Anon-Voter - some baaad clickin there - and that's a good thing.

clicked..

Stradee, of all things, I drove a '50 Chevy fishback in High School. It was the first car engine I overhauled (straight six).
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:53 am
Anon, i can understand your luv of that year Chevy. One of the best!

Dan, you're kidding! My dad owned a 1949 Chevy bulletback <thats what we called um'> and i've a photo someplace i'll find and post. The 49 and 50 Chevys were some kind of machine - indistructable. My god - we hauled a 17 ft wooden hull CrisCraft behind the 49 Chevy. My dad built the boat - and the trailer - <probably weighted a ton> but the Chevy never missed a beat <well, there one time when we lost second gear driving down the mountain from the lake - but thats another story>

Those cars were the nicest running engines on the road though, wearn't they though? Shifted like a dream <unless you were climbing a hill and had to stop> then it was pure magic coordinating the clutch, break and first gear.

Such good memories, ya all! Smile
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:50 am
Straight sixes were the best. Then they had to muck them up with changes and V8's.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:51 am
Going to do my four clickin'.
0 Replies