Iran's threat. Iraq's threat. The same old BS or not?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:07 pm
Tico wrote:
Usually they can be arrested for taking an overt act in furtherance of their crime.

After I wrote:
In most cases, some form of evidence is required that a crime is going to take place.

What are you trying to say, Tico?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:07 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Why does Setanta only correct the spelling of conservatives?

And why do you, only, debate about my commata? :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
Good one, Walter. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Good one, Walter. Wink

Not really - here are five more , , , , ,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:10 pm
Typical of Tico to attempt to drag in comments from other threads.

I don't know that burglars pay any attention to policing methods and relative degrees of success at all. Crime usually does not pay because of the caliber of those who go into the profession. Criminals do not leave home to engage in crime under the impression that they are likely to be apprehended, they do so convinced that it will be easy, and that they will not be caught. How witless does one have to be to see that criminality is usually the refuge of the least perceptive members of society and that they don't commit crime other than in the belief that they can do so with impunity.

Read Beyond Good and Evil, there is a wonderful passage in which Neitzsche canvasses what effects punititve justice systems actually have and what their intent actually is, as opposed to what is claimed for them. His analogy is that the criminal caught in the commission of crime feels like the hiker in the mountains who is caught in a landslide--that he is a victim of simple misfortune, not that his apprehension was in any way inevitable.

You've been feeding off your own "good guys in the white hats" horsiepoop for so long that you no longer understand the mindset of your adversaries. Whenever i want to refresh my understanding of criminal stupidity, i just look to politicians, and in particular, the current administration.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Tico wrote:
Usually they can be arrested for taking an overt act in furtherance of their crime.

After I wrote:
In most cases, some form of evidence is required that a crime is going to take place.

What are you trying to say, Tico?

I'm trying to correct the misinformation you are spewing, c.i. Read my post again ... compare and contrast ... and try to figure out what I'm trying to say.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Why does Setanta only correct the spelling of conservatives?

And why do you, only, debate about my commata? :wink:

What the hell is a "commata"?

There, that was about your spelling and/or typing. Feel better?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:16 pm
Tico, Walter is multi-lingual, and you're trying to make fun of his English? Get a grip.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Typical of Tico to attempt to drag in comments from other threads.

I don't know that burglars pay any attention to policing methods and relative degrees of success at all. Crime usually does not pay because of the caliber of those who go into the profession. Criminals do not leave home to engage in crime under the impression that they are likely to be apprehended, they do so convinced that it will be easy, and that they will not be caught. How witless does one have to be to see that criminality is usually the refuge of the least perceptive members of society and that they don't commit crime other than in the belief that they can do so with impunity.

That's right ... as you admit, one reason criminals engage in crime is the belief they won't get caught. Obviously if they don't think there are any police to catch them, they will be more likely to engage in crime. You shouldn't deny this obvious fact solely because you think it means I will win this particular argument.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:23 pm
But you're the one that keeps knocking your head against cement.
0 Replies

old europe

Ticomaya wrote:
That's right ... as you admit, one reason criminals engage in crime is the belief they won't get caught. Obviously, if they don't think there are any police to catch them, they will be more likely to engage in crime.

Whut? Are we already back to talking about the situation in Iraq?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

cicerone imposter wrote:
Tico, Walter is multi-lingual, and you're trying to make fun of his English? Get a grip.

Hey, he brought it up, not me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:27 pm
All of Tico's assumption derive the enforcement establishment point of view, and assume that policing methods are uniformly effective, and that deterence has any siginificance in motivating criminals, who, once again, do not commit crime in the belief that they will be caught. Were there no police, there would be vigilantism, the "hue and cry" and the rush to nearest lamppost for a lynching. Which would not alter that criminals, rarely ever members of our brightest and best, do not commit crimes in the belief that they will be caught. So, in fact . . .

No, i know nothing of the sort.

You've won nothing, Tico, and you will win nothing. Even if you convince yourself that you are indeed, legendary in your own mind, what do you expect to "win?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:30 pm
No Old Europe, Tico is perfervidly avoiding the subject of Iraq and the flaccid and ineffective idiocy which has proceeded from the invasion sponsored by the Idiot in Chief and carried out by the incompetent Rummy.

By the way, Tico, i did "admit" that criminals commit crime in the belief that they won't be caught, i introduced the topic while you engaged in your solitary self-congratulatory waltz about the grim and effective police . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:33 pm
O'Bill said
Quote:
I also recall reading that children were literally playing in the Nuclear dust from an H-Bomb, on the neighboring island where we moved these people (and damn near starved them to death). Many of whom are still alive today... and I believe this substantiates my claim that outside of ground zero; Nukes are not as dangerous as many believe. Does any of this strike you as false?

The kids were playing in the dust on Bikini after resettlement. Then they moved them out about 3 years later after the cesium level was found to be unacceptable and the veggies were loaded with cesium 137 . Even the nearest islands are 50 to 100 nautical miles away , so the radwaste is lessened from the H bomb. It takes usually 7 half lives to get to about .008% of original radioisotope. Now , had that been plutonium or Uranium 235 the half ives would be about 24000 yars for plutonium and 70 MILLION years for Uranium. Ive worked out at the Nevada test site where the Jackass flat and sedn bombs were set off and these grounds are roped off for fear that they are "hot" and toxic. Many radioisotopes have fast half lives and will disappear in a few lifetimes , but others are just as dangerous as weve always thought.

The reason I gave you the"Rush Limbaugh" science shout-out, is because hehas never been one to appreciate science and , even though he could easily "look it up" . He chooses to spout some right wing mantra about everything from radioactivity and toxics to "wetlands " and endangered species.

The Evangelicals have, in the past 2 years , with the Bush clan being out and out millenialists in their outlooks, have rethought their attachment to much of what the Pat Robertson school says about the environment and custody of our planet.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:39 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

From English for binners: there is a singular - here: comma - and a plural - here - commata - both being somewhat irregular since being Latin origin.

"a" is singular ...

Quote:
Main Entry: commata Pronunciation Guide
plural of COMMA

source: "commata." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (20 Mar. 2006).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:39 pm
May I show you fine gents my collection of good heavy duty hemp ropes and hausers. Very fine for meting punishments.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
All of Tico's assumption derive the enforcement establishment point of view, and assume that policing methods are uniformly effective, and that deterence has any siginificance in motivating criminals, who, once again, do not commit crime in the belief that they will be caught. Were there no police, there would be vigilantism, the "hue and cry" and the rush to nearest lamppost for a lynching. Which would not alter that criminals, rarely ever members of our brightest and best, do not commit crimes in the belief that they will be caught. So, in fact . . .

No, i know nothing of the sort.

You've won nothing, Tico, and you will win nothing. Even if you convince yourself that you are indeed, legendary in your own mind, what do you expect to "win?"

I've already "won" because you have already admitted what I asserted in the first place, although you would never go so far as to actually admit I was correct. My initial assertion was that if criminals think there is no law enforcement on duty, that in an incentive for them to commit crimes. I said:

Quote:
But if the burglars were to think there are no cops on duty, the number of burglaries would increase.

You admit as much ...

Setanta wrote:
Criminals do not leave home to engage in crime under the impression that they are likely to be apprehended, they do so convinced that it will be easy, and that they will not be caught.

... but continue to twitch and tweak to try and twist what I said as somehow claiming criminals commit crimes "in the belief they will be caught." That's nonsense, and I said the exact opposite. Persons who do not think they will be caught are more likely to commit crimes than if they think they might be caught. That you are incapable of admitting this obvious fact is amazing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:44 pm
No, you are willfully ignoring what i've pointed out repeatedly, which is that, whether society depends upon policing or upon vigilantism, criminals do not expect to be apprehended, and therefore a contention that they are motivated by a perception of police effectiveness is just the self-delusional conceit of those who work in the penal industry.

So, of course, you have "won" nothing.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 01:46 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

From English for binners: there is a singular - here: comma - and a plural - here - commata - both being somewhat irregular since being Latin origin.

"a" is singular ...

Quote:
Main Entry: commata Pronunciation Guide
plural of COMMA

source: "commata." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (20 Mar. 2006).

Fair enough, Walter. Not widely used, but okay. That might be the only dictionary containing that word.

Yes, your "commata" are "errata."
0 Replies