Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:43 am
Thomas wrote:
Just overheard McCain on MSNBC: "Obama says I"m running for George Bush's third term. I think he's running for Jimmy Carter's second." Once more, the "leader we can believe in" is reacting to Obama slogans instead of acting of his own initiative. If he keeps that up, Obama's campaign is looking pretty good.

Good for Obama.

not so much good for Obama or bad for McCain as shame on the public who have reached a point where they can only be communicated with in slogans and recurring themes because we as a nation are too ADD for anythng more than a sentence or two long. You get what you deserve. We've earned this crap.... we're a nation of texters and mall speakers.... lazy asses.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:54 am
Obama did a Bush recently - total verbal meltdown. Opie and Anthony were all over it this morning.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:57 am
Interesting read from FiveThirtyEight.com:

Quote:
I think I'm a pretty smart guy, but every now and then I come across something and say to myself "man, that **** is deep".

This morning, in doing a little bit of remote-term planning for features that we might add to the site in the distant future, I was doing some background research on liberal-conservative scores and other methods of vote classification and stumbled across a website called voteview.com, created by a University of California at San Diego professor named Keith Poole. Voteview uses an extremely rigorous methodology for ordering Senators from most liberal to most conservative which to my mind produces some fairly intuitive results. (Five most liberal senators thus far this year? Russ Feingold, Chris Dodd, Bernie Sanders, Sheldon Whitehose, and Ted Kennedy).

This is how Voteview classifies Senators McCain and Obama over the last four Congresses; for good measure we'll also throw in Senator Clinton:

Congress Obama McCain Clinton107th -- 57/102 22/102108th -- 96.5/100 21.5/100109th 21/101 100/101 25/101110th 10.5/101 94/101 20/101By this method, Obama is liberal, but not that liberal. He was the 21st most liberal senator in the 109th Congress and has been the 10th or 11th most liberal thus far in the 110th. The surprising result is John McCain, who rates as the 8th most conservative senator in the 110th Congress, the 2nd most conservative in the 109th, and the 5th or 6th most conservative in the 108th.

In the 107th Congress, however, McCain was quite moderate. Voteview doesn't have rankings before the 107th, so I'm not sure whether there was some permanent change in McCain's political philosophy on or around 2003 (perhaps coinciding with the start of the Iraq War) or whether it was his behavior in the 107th that was unusual (perhaps he took some pleasure in being a thorn in President Bush's side after having lost the primary to him). But this is more evidence for the notion that the 2008 version of John McCain is a very different politician than the 2000-2002 version of John McCain.
0 Replies

revel

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:04 am
There is no notable policy difference between a McCain administration and the current one we have now. Every single (including Iraq despite its improvements, a step up from hell does not a success make) policy of this administration has led us to a failure. So why shouldn't Obama say McCain would be a third bush term if he can prove it.

Bringing up the oil situation of the Carter years is not very smart considering what we are facing right now. Just look at how much oil/energy has rose since Bush has been in office, look at how much the price of a dollar has fallen, the housing situation, the state of our health care and the economy. Giving all those tax breaks to the oil and energy companies hasn't helped anybody that I can tell. If slogans can be backed up it is different than empty slogans with no basics behind them.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:06 am
Quote:
(including Iraq despite its improvements, a step up from hell does not a success make)

Laughing

revel, you so cute. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:26 am
revel has a handle on the facts, and no matter how people wish to twist it, facts don't change with time. This administrations rhetoric about "improvement in Iraq" is a message used for the past five years, and that's the message McCain will use for the next 100. What ever happened to common sense?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:09 am
What exactly is a "windfall profit"?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:12 am
McGentrix wrote:

When a windmill falls over and they salvage the scrap?

Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:14 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I already did; it identifies the causes of mental illness. I want you to identify for us which ones are self-inflicted? Name one if you can?

Cicerone - what are you talking about?! Countless mental problems are caused by lifestyle choices; that doesn't just mean excessive alcohol and drug intake, it can mean just eating lots and lots!

Here are 2 very serious mental disorders, autism and depression, both linked to excess body weight:

Quote:
...our study provides evidence that new-onset postpartum depression is associated with substantial weight retention after childbirth...
http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v16/n6/full/oby200871a.html

Quote:

Abstract: We report on elevated total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels in 22 individuals with Asperger syndrome compared with well-matched controls, after accounting for lifestyle variables and clinical symptomatology that could affect them. A potential role for dyslipidemia in the pathogenesis of some forms of autism is discussed. [Copyright 2007 Elsevier]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psychiatry Research

Jan2007, Vol. 149 Issue 1-3, p321-324

"Hypercholesterolemia in Asperger syndrome: Independence from lifestyle, obsessive-compulsive behavior, and social anxiety."

Author Affiliations:
1Center for Brain Health, HN-400, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
2Department of Psychology, University of Bielefeld, Germany
3Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY, USA
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:18 am
Did someone's windmill fall over? Seriously, I know a guy who sells windmill parts. Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:24 am
McGentrix wrote:

According to some Democrats, it is any national or worldwide condition that generates profit for big corporations. And, according to them, it should be confiscated by the government immediately.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:25 am
Foxfyre wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

According to some Democrats, it is any national or worldwide condition that generates profit for big corporations. And, according to them, it should be confiscated by the government immediately.

Exaggerations is not one of Fox's weak suits.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:27 am
Foxfyre wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Well, we are in a war; what's the difference between the limiting of profits during wartime in the past, and the limiting of profits now?

The oil companies are taking advantage of the world-wide situation in order to make truly record profits on the backs of the American consumer. And to a certain extent, every company does this. But the idea that this cannot be limited, ever, is ridiculous. We could cap oil company profits at the levels they are at RIGHT NOW and they would still be pulling in billions of dollars of profit PER QUARTER. The businesses would survive just fine, and we need the money worse then they need ever-expanding profits.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:27 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
[

Exaggerations is not one of Fox's weak suits.

Cicerone - careful reading of posts addressed to you (on the previous page, bottom of the page, FYI) qualifies, however Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
High Seas wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
I already did; it identifies the causes of mental illness. I want you to identify for us which ones are self-inflicted? Name one if you can?

Cicerone - what are you talking about?! Countless mental problems are caused by lifestyle choices; that doesn't just mean excessive alcohol and drug intake, it can mean just eating lots and lots!

Whose lifestyle choices are you talking about? Some people's inability to control their own bad habits is more than just personal "choice." Do you understand anything about "addiction?" Probably not; because if you did, you wouldn't be pointing fingers at people who really can't overcome their addictions to food, drugs, or anything else in their lives. I had a friend who had diabetes, but he loved to eat, and knew the consequences of his "bad" habit. He always argued with his wife about his eating habit that eventually killed him. It's a not simple matter of "choice" for better health. Many people continue to smoke, because they are addicted, and they know the harmful effects to their health.

Here are 2 very serious mental disorders, autism and depression, both linked to excess body weight:

Quote:
...our study provides evidence that new-onset postpartum depression is associated with substantial weight retention after childbirth...

Quote:

Abstract: We report on elevated total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels in 22 individuals with Asperger syndrome compared with well-matched controls, after accounting for lifestyle variables and clinical symptomatology that could affect them. A potential role for dyslipidemia in the pathogenesis of some forms of autism is discussed. [Copyright 2007 Elsevier]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psychiatry Research

"Hypercholesterolemia in Asperger syndrome: Independence from lifestyle, obsessive-compulsive behavior, and social anxiety."

Author Affiliations:
1Center for Brain Health, HN-400, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA

Much of negative behavior has to do with genes, mental capacity, and environment. It's not that easy to divorce oneself from any or all of them just because some people are able to overcome their addictions. Human behavior is the combination of many reasons not yet understood fully; members from the same family react differently to the same and/or different stimuli. To simply say anybody can quit this or that bad behavior is not realistic.
0 Replies

High Seas

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:56 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
High Seas wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Whose lifestyle choices are you talking about? Some people's inability to control their own bad habits is more than just personal "choice."

Quote:

Quote:

Psychiatry Research

Author Affiliations:

......... [/color]

Brilliant, Cicerone, brilliant! So all those doctors linking countless mental illnesses to habits like excessive drinking, eating, and drug-taking, are flat-out wrong, and you alone, Cicerone Imposter, know the truth of this sad matter!

Go right ahead believing that, I wouldn't dream of trying to criticize that conclusion - res ipsa loquitur Smile
0 Replies

woiyo

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:06 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Well, we are in a war; what's the difference between the limiting of profits during wartime in the past, and the limiting of profits now?

The oil companies are taking advantage of the world-wide situation in order to make truly record profits on the backs of the American consumer. And to a certain extent, every company does this. But the idea that this cannot be limited, ever, is ridiculous. We could cap oil company profits at the levels they are at RIGHT NOW and they would still be pulling in billions of dollars of profit PER QUARTER. The businesses would survive just fine, and we need the money worse then they need ever-expanding profits.

Cycloptichorn

We are at war? Where? Against which country?

This is another govt scam they force down on the American people and both the democrats and republicans are misrepresenting the POLICE ACTIONS taking place in Iraq and Afganistan.

The BIG OIL COMPANIES are NOT the villain in my view. A co - conspirator, definitely, but not the lone villain. They can be criticized for NOT increasing the capacity of their refineries and for not finding alternative sources and they SHOULD be audited to find out exactly how the Research and Development Costs/Expenses are being utilized. WHEN we find they are bullsh!tting us, the IRS should disallow the deduction and penalize the CEO's for misrepresenting the public records.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:08 am
Wow, I generally agree with that. 'cept the part about a 'police action.' No such thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:21 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Just checking in here. I heard oil companies make about a 4% profit on a gallon of gas, while there is a 15% tax, approximately. Eliminating windfall profits, which doesn't exist by the way in terms of percentage, will accomplish nothing, except to limit the reinvestment of dollars by private enterprise into more oil and gas and alternative energy development, which will only serve to drive the price of gasoline higher than it would otherwise. So the government makes almost 4 times as much money for doing nothing to produce energy, and the liberal solution is instead to tax the people that actually produce something. More Carteronian failed policy of the past.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:25 am
From Politico's Ben Smith:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Releasing the delegates

In a final formality, Hillary Clinton told her convention delegates on a conference call last night that they should cast their votes for Barack Obama.

"She did a call with delegates to thank them for all of their hard work during the campaign, to celebrate all we accomplished, and to urge them -- as she did on Saturday -- to do everything they can to elect Barack Obama," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee confirmed.
0 Replies