Ethel2

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:00 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lola wrote:
The idea that enough Dems will vote for McCain to give him the victory is silly. Of course there are a few people out of control out there saying all sorts of things.

What's really hard to believe is that any Democrat that wants to win in November would be doing anything other than working together to win. I think most will. And I think they will even if the sore winners and losers keep flinging insults at each other.

Why spend time repeating outrageous things over heard at lunch or on talk shows? The more we keep fighting, the more likely it is that we will lose. No one likes to be insulted. Stop rubbing it in and let's move on with the campaign. To continue to fight is unconscionable at this point in the game.
Great post, Lola.

You had come to represent, in my mind, a large segment of Hillary supporters. Your message of unity is precisely what I would expect from an intelligent Hillary supporter as it is the only direction that makes sense for any Democrat. Your post fortifies my belief that the occasional bitter fool who'll really cut off their nose to spite their face is an anomoly.
Best wishes to you and yours.

Thanks Bill. Anyone else up for kissing and making up?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:04 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bill, what do you and yours do in a situation like this when the only thing on the table is a McCain?

That must hurt like hell.
I don't understand your question.
A situation like what?

I mean you must have wanted a better representative for your party.

That's all.
Dude, you're really out of it.
A. I don't have a party since Ross Perot stopped running.
B. I think McCain is the single best representative the Republicans could have forwarded. I liked Rudy, but others who did were clearly few and far between.
C. I think Obama is the single best representative the Democrats have fielded in my adult life.

Being as I like both Obama and McCain; there is certainly nothing to hurt like hell. At this point; I can't lose. One way or the other I get a President I like and respect.

GObama!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:13 pm
That's interesting because I think Obama is the single best representative
the Communist have ever fielded in the Democratic party. He's awesome!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/kdelmo1/Nope.jpg
0 Replies

Ethel2

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:15 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You are dead right, Snood. Other than the 2012 theory, her behavior has been completely inexplicable for more than a month now (I don't want to give the Bobby Kennedy theory any credence). Tuesday through Saturday with her 18 million BS after losing is undeniably doing harm to her Party's chances of winning in the General. Reasons to support her actions are:

If you're a Republican. If you're a Bigot. If you're an idiot. If [i]anyone [/i]can provide another reason(s); I'd love to hear it.

On this, Bill I think I can offer something. Hillary isn't the three headed monster everyone has imaged. She is actually concerned about her supporters many of whom have given up a lot to work and donate to her campaign. She took a couple of days to consult with her supporters, not so much to help her decide what to do, but to encourage them and help them feel that they matter. I think it probably took a couple of days to get herself composed. Someone on MSNBC this morning, I think it was Russert said that it hurts to lose an election. Reporters who have been with candidates when they lose say that they almost always cry. Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. Russert said that he was with Jimmy Carter when he lost and he'll never forget the effect it had. When you lose, it feels personal. And it is personal, especially this campaign with fellow democrats. I think she wanted to deliver a speech with dignity and force in order to bring her supporters into the Obama camp. And she did it with style.

On Fox of course they're trying like mad to keep the fighting going. "Obama shouldn't have gone golfing during Hillary's speech," they said. Blah blah blah. We really have to get smart about this now. It's too important for us and the world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:21 pm
Lola, Ours is a country of contests; most people understand the concept of winner and loser. That some are unable to accept a loss, I don't see the necessity to babysit them through a mourning period.

There was an important horse race today; the supposed triple crown winner came in last; he lost. It's over; it's no use pondering it for four more days to ease the pain for those who bet big on their intended winning horse.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:48 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:

Communist isn't a dirty word.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:52 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

Spoken like a Communist.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:52 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bill, I bet you think someone is reading your stuff.

He probably reads it. It could be where he acquired the hutzpah to be the self proclaimed judge of who is racist or bigoted or dishonest. Curiously it appears to be only those who strongly disagree with him who are ever labeled such, but I say that only as a casual observation without doing a lot of serious research.
Laughing Yes, while labeling someone a bigot, idiot or both, I'm usually in disagreement with them. Your standard amount of research will suffice. As pointed out to those not terminally clueless; there is no automatic labeling because of disagreement... as evidenced by the fact that the more intelligent liberals and conservatives on this sight have NEVER been labeled an idiot or bigot by me.

Idiots and bigots like to pretend that the charge is thrown like a blanket over everyone; but it just ain't so.

Well that would leave me out wouldn't it as I didn't throw a blanket over everyone then or now. But it isn't the first time you have distorted what I said nor misrepresented my intent nor behaved like a jerk when you couldn't sustain an argument without accusing most who disagreed with you of having racist or bigoted motives. So I'll just leave you to bask in the brilliance of your posts and do my own thing however much it might displease you. Thank you.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:05 pm
Well said, CI.
Lola: Her desire to be composed to do her damnedest to unite her followers would be noble indeed... but that doesn't explain her continued leaning towards confrontational rather than unity messages on her website for the interim. She did good today, so it's water under the bridge, but she removed all doubt in my mind that she's a scumbag. Sorry. No worries. As she ceases to be relevant, so too will the feelings of Democrat division that plagued you and Bernie.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bill's performance at the DNC. 4 years ago he (and to a lesser effect, Obama) did more to open my mind to the ill-fated Kerry campaign than anyone. I thought it was probably his finest hour as a speaker. Will he be able to pour that much power into a speech for Obama? Will he be invited to? Will he accept? This has already been one for the books... and it's just getting started.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:10 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O
Rolling Eyes The 100,000,000 million+ victims of Stalin and Mao would probably disagree with you.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:15 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O
Rolling Eyes The 100,000,000 million+ victims of Stalin and Mao would probably disagree with you.

Straw man.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:26 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O

100 million million+?

Would they blame totalitarianism or communism?

The larger point remains: Communist is not a dirty word.
K
O
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:29 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O

Straw man.

Rolling Eyes Really? Please demonstrate how what I wrote constitutes a Strawman. (What is it with people on this site thinking everything is a Strawman?)

For your education:

Quote:
Straw man. This is the fallacy of refuting a caricatured or extreme version of somebody's argument, rather than the actual argument they've made. Often this fallacy involves putting words into somebody's mouth by saying they've made arguments they haven't actually made, in which case the straw man argument is a veiled version of argumentum ad logicam. One example of a straw man argument would be to say, "Mr. Jones thinks that capitalism is good because everybody earns whatever wealth they have, but this is clearly false because many people just inherit their fortunes," when in fact Mr. Jones had not made the "earnings" argument and had instead argued, say, that capitalism gives most people an incentive to work and save. The fact that some arguments made for a policy are wrong does not imply that the policy itself is wrong.

In debate, strategic use of a straw man can be very effective. A carefully constructed straw man can sometimes entice an unsuspecting opponent into defending a silly argument that he would not have tried to defend otherwise. But this strategy only works if the straw man is not too different from the arguments your opponent has actually made, because a really outrageous straw man will be recognized as just that. The best straw man is not, in fact, a fallacy at all, but simply a logical extension or amplification of an argument your opponent has made.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Lola, Ours is a country of contests; most people understand the concept of winner and loser. That some are unable to accept a loss, I don't see the necessity to babysit them through a mourning period.

There was an important horse race today; the supposed triple crown winner came in last; he lost. It's over; it's no use pondering it for four more days to ease the pain for those who bet big on their intended winning horse.

Dear c.i. my friend,

Do the winners of the horse race need the losers to help them with anything? Bad analogy.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with loss. Some of us are stoic and bluster, some of us get mad and threaten, some of us are rude and justify it by claiming that that's life and blah blah blah. We're all free to manage our losses in which ever way works for us. So it's fine if that's the way you feel about Hillary's supporters......or about anybody that loses.

I think I read that you're not for either Democratic candidate. But are you a Republican? Do you want to see McCain in the WH? Do you like endless, senseless war? How about health care? Or racial discrimination? Is the present state of the economy helping you out? If you don't mind these things, continue to preach to those who do have feelings when it comes to losing whether you think we should or not.

Just because you think your method is best and wish others did the same, doens't change the fact that if you keep pushing in the insensitive way you just presented, the Democrats will lose this election.
0 Replies

engineer

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:44 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

T
K
O

Straw man.

Rolling Eyes Really? Please demonstrate how what I wrote constitutes a Strawman. (What is it with people on this site thinking everything is a Strawman?)

For your education:

Quote:
Straw man. This is the fallacy of refuting a caricatured or extreme version of somebody's argument, rather than the actual argument they've made. Often this fallacy involves putting words into somebody's mouth by saying they've made arguments they haven't actually made, in which case the straw man argument is a veiled version of argumentum ad logicam. One example of a straw man argument would be to say, "Mr. Jones thinks that capitalism is good because everybody earns whatever wealth they have, but this is clearly false because many people just inherit their fortunes," when in fact Mr. Jones had not made the "earnings" argument and had instead argued, say, that capitalism gives most people an incentive to work and save. The fact that some arguments made for a policy are wrong does not imply that the policy itself is wrong.

In debate, strategic use of a straw man can be very effective. A carefully constructed straw man can sometimes entice an unsuspecting opponent into defending a silly argument that he would not have tried to defend otherwise. But this strategy only works if the straw man is not too different from the arguments your opponent has actually made, because a really outrageous straw man will be recognized as just that. The best straw man is not, in fact, a fallacy at all, but simply a logical extension or amplification of an argument your opponent has made.

Not to vote for communism, but your example is a classic strawman. Communism did not cause the deaths of 100 trillion people, the totalitarian rulers who took charge did that. Since they were the heads of nominal communist governments, you associated those deaths with communism then refuted it. This fits this basic definition:
Quote:
This is the fallacy of refuting a caricatured or extreme version of somebody's argument, rather than the actual argument they've made.

There are lots of excellent arguments to refute the values of communism, (please consider a different thread), but this is a strawman.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:48 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Well said, CI.
Lola: Her desire to be composed to do her damnedest to unite her followers would be noble indeed... but that doesn't explain her continued leaning towards confrontational rather than unity messages on her website for the interim. She did good today, so it's water under the bridge, but she removed all doubt in my mind that she's a scumbag. Sorry. No worries. As she ceases to be relevant, so too will the feelings of Democrat division that plagued you and Bernie.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bill's performance at the DNC. 4 years ago he (and to a lesser effect, Obama) did more to open my mind to the ill-fated Kerry campaign than anyone. I thought it was probably his finest hour as a speaker. Will he be able to pour that much power into a speech for Obama? Will he be invited to? Will he accept? This has already been one for the books... and it's just getting started.

I think Hillary's supposed sins are much over blown. They represent a difference in philosophy in politics. Obama says he can change the way we do politics. I'm ready to be shown. I think he just might have a chance to pull it off. But I also still have my worries. If you're fighting people who cheat and repeatedly get away with it (that would be the fanatical fringe of the right) you have to be able to neutralize their attacks. That's what won the election in 1992 and 96. I have, until now thought that it was necessary.

Obama has a very nice way of shaming the accusers. It has worked with the Democrats. But Democrats are subject to feeling ashamed and guilty. There is that element of the Republican party that is shameless and haven't experienced a tinge of guilt for most of their lives. So we'll see. I am hopeful. But I still worry.

In the meantime, it would help a lot if both sides stopped fighting about the value and worthiness of the candidate on the other side. It won't get us where we want to go. Because if you think it's over, you're wrong. It's only beginning and we need voters on both sides in order to win.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:02 pm
Lola, Sorry to have pushed your button; and that analogy about the horse race was a very bad example.

As I've said often on these threads, I'm not for either Obama or McCain.

There are pros and cons for both candidates in the running for the white house, but neither one meets my ideal on our need for this country in 2009.

I'm neither a republican or democrat; I'm registered as an independent. I hope to vote for a candidate who best meets my idea of who can lead this country best. I quit voting principle several elections ago, because I learned it's a waste of my vote; it usually involved voting for the candidate who didn't have any chance to win.

No, I don't like endless, senseless wars, but that's a choice our president makes with the consent of congress who funds the war. Am I disappointed? You betcha; it's beyond my control. My vote will not make any president stop the war in short order, or congress not fund what the president asks to continue funding it - even with a democratic congress.

Mad as hell is all she wrote.

I've always advocated for universal health care for our country; that won't change no matter who runs our country.

Racial discrimination? You probably missed many of my tyrants against people who have shown any kind of discrimination.

The present state of our economy is the result of Bush's incompetence in everything he does. I've expressed my anger on many a2k threads about Bush's incompetence on many fronts including the economy even
though my wife and I live a relatively comfortable lifestyle without much money worries. I've been going on seven-eight trips a year to any destination I please, and am now having major exterior and interior renovation done on our home. We're not rich, but very comfortable, and the economy has not impacted us too much, although I plan to cut back on my travels to help pay for the renovation.

My method is not best; that's the last thing I would claim. One of my "faults" is that my world is mostly black and white with a little grey. That's the consequence of having worked as an accountant and in management for most of my life.

I understand there are differences in how we perceive life. All my siblings are christians and republicans, whereas, I am an independent and an atheist - married to a buddhist.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
engineer wrote:
Not to vote for communism, but your example is a classic strawman. Communism did not cause the deaths of 100 trillion people, the totalitarian rulers who took charge did that. Since they were the heads of nominal communist governments, you associated those deaths with communism then refuted it. This fits this basic definition:
Quote:
This is the fallacy of refuting a caricatured or extreme version of somebody's argument, rather than the actual argument they've made.

There are lots of excellent arguments to refute the values of communism, (please consider a different thread), but this is a strawman.
Apart from the accidental million million thing, I disagree.
On that other thread I would argue that the totalitarian rulers who took charge were the imminently predictable, almost inevitable result of communism.

Deist submitted that communism was not a a dirty word. I provided 100 million reasons/people that might disagree. This is in no way an exaggeration or caricature of anyone's argument. It is an historical matter of fact. Whether or not communism is a dirty word, is a matter of opinion. Surely the 100 million victims of same should be entitled to one.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

I understand there are differences in how we perceive life. All my siblings are christians and republicans, whereas, I am an independent and an atheist - married to a buddhist.

I knew I liked you for some reason. All my family members are fundamentallist christians......Republicans every one (except for two of my daughters, yippee!) I'm an atheist married to a sexist pig with a big heart. oops, did I say that out loud?
0 Replies

Diane

Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:53 pm
Lola, you are a noble, unappreciated martyr and I can't understand how you have remained with that man for this long. [size=7]Even though he really is a sweetie.[/size]
Sorry for the interuption. Please continue.
0 Replies