sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:24 am
The poison pen episode -- from this thread, March 2006:

sozobe wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/02/09/PH2006020900520.jpg

Quote:
Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama appeared to make up yesterday after their unusual public poison-pen exchange (McCain accusing Obama of "partisan posturing" and "disingenuousness"; Obama expressing hurt that McCain "questioned my sincerity") over lobbying reform.

As Obama entered the crowded Senate Rules Committee hearing room, he playfully brandished a fist while putting an arm around the seated McCain. Awwwwww! Many pictures were snapped. "I value his input," McCain told the panel. Said Obama: "I'm particularly pleased to be sharing this panel with my pen pal John McCain."
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:32 am
Thomas wrote:
nimh wrote:
There's plenty more instances if you just Google this or that phrase from the memo with quotation marks around it.

Yes, but why should Foxfyre and mysteryman bear the burden of Googling? When you're posting a claim that's flattering to your side of an argument or unflattering to your opponents', you are responsible for showing that it's not just cut&paste propaganda. It's common courtesy to your correspondents; you yourself show it practically always. Why expect less of Butrflynet? Unless I'm missing something, Foxfyre, Ticomaya, and mysteryman were asking perfectly reasonable questions. Or at least questions I ask them a lot, which may or may not be the same thing.

Shrug. I always insert the link, yes, I think it's a courtesy, and I appreciate it when others too. But I'm just saying, if there isnt a link and you really are sincerely curious about the provenance, it takes about 20 seconds to find it. Copy/paste a paragraph of the text into Google and hop, there it is.

So although yes, I appreciate links as courtesies, and I try to always include them myself, I also never quite understand the furious demands that people (from both sides) tend to make to "provide the source!", in the cases where a poster hasnt included the link. I mean, writing and posting that takes more time than just finding it out for yourself. Seems a waste of time, and the resulting angry to-and-fro is wearying for other readers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:38 am
Agreed re: links.

Re: poison pen, one more post, from the next day (March 16 2006)

sozobe wrote:
I wrote:
What I've wanted since Bill Clinton is a Democrat who was just plain likeable -- who had the ideas and the charisma too.

I mean, look at this picture:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/02/09/PH2006020900520.jpg

They have this big, public fight, the young Democrat and the established, experienced Republican, and who's in charge, in that photo? Obama's totally physically in charge, grasping one hand, the other encircling McCain; McCain is blushing a bit, disarmed, laughing at something Obama's said (and still saying) while Obama is all poise and control. And the description of the incident shows that Obama was the one who started it all, who came in with the playful fist-brandishing and then went to where McCain was sitting, who made it happen.

Those kinds of political skills are huge, not just in getting elected but in making things happen while elected.

Anyway, just musing.

Interesting to re-read the beginning of this thread. :-) Someday I'll read the whole thing...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:53 am
Joe Biden
Wouldn't it be ironic if Senator Obama chooses Senatory Joe Biden to be his Vice President? Biden was my first choice for the Democratic presidential nominee.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:57 am
Biden
Wouldn't it be ironic if Senator Obama were to choose Senator Joe Biden as his vice president? Biden was my first choice for Democratic presidential candidate.

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:01 am
sozobe wrote:
Yes, it has. I'm not disputing that. It's been happening, and the actual moment of Obama cementing the nomination was a "wow" moment that focused the "been happening" aspect. This is such a difficult concept?

For me, yes. But I recognize I'm not an Obamaniac and I just might not "get" the euphoria of the moment.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:04 am
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Do you feel Obama's anger management issues are a weakness for him?

Nope.

Now you and I can disagree about who has which anger management issues, but, at least so far, questions about McCain's have surfaced over and over again in the media and punditry - and with these things it's basically the perception that counts. Whereas, Obama and anger management issues? I'd never even heard of it. It's definitely not a mainstream concern. If anything he's been getting a lot of praise for being so equanimous in the face of all the hypes and turmoils of the campaign trail.

Yes, I've noticed that with "the press" when Obama literally backs a fellow Senator into a corner, it's spun as a positive.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:06 am
nimh wrote:
Thomas wrote:
nimh wrote:
There's plenty more instances if you just Google this or that phrase from the memo with quotation marks around it.

Yes, but why should Foxfyre and mysteryman bear the burden of Googling? When you're posting a claim that's flattering to your side of an argument or unflattering to your opponents', you are responsible for showing that it's not just cut&paste propaganda. It's common courtesy to your correspondents; you yourself show it practically always. Why expect less of Butrflynet? Unless I'm missing something, Foxfyre, Ticomaya, and mysteryman were asking perfectly reasonable questions. Or at least questions I ask them a lot, which may or may not be the same thing.

Shrug. I always insert the link, yes, I think it's a courtesy, and I appreciate it when others too. But I'm just saying, if there isnt a link and you really are sincerely curious about the provenance, it takes about 20 seconds to find it. Copy/paste a paragraph of the text into Google and hop, there it is.

So although yes, I appreciate links as courtesies, and I try to always include them myself, I also never quite understand the furious demands that people (from both sides) tend to make to "provide the source!", in the cases where a poster hasnt included the link. I mean, writing and posting that takes more time than just finding it out for yourself. Seems a waste of time, and the resulting angry to-and-fro is wearying for other readers.

However, I still haven't seen any links to news stories replicating the GOP "talking points" without discussing the memo in question.

I haven't taken your advice and attempted to google this, but since Butterflynet made the point, perhaps she can.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:07 am
Re: Joe Biden
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Wouldn't it be ironic if Senator Obama chooses Senatory Joe Biden to be his Vice President? Biden was my first choice for the Democratic presidential nominee.

BBB

That would be like manna.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:10 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Do you have a source for who said that the GOP sent out emails Butrfly?

That isn't what I said. Go back and reread it.

But, to answer your question, yes.

You are correct. I did misstate your quote which was:
Quote:
Emails were sent out to the GOP talking heads today with the following talking points to be pushed to their media contacts.
And this was followed by your statement that we know who sent them. So who did?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:12 am
Obama will get a pass by the media on anything he does, says, or comes out of his past. Any attempts to bring these issues to the forefront by the Republicans will be called a racist attack.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:15 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
Emails were sent out to the GOP talking heads today with the following talking points to be pushed to their media contacts.

The RNC. Full text of the memo was linked in above.

EDIT: And here it is on the RNC's site itself.
0 Replies

woiyo

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
revel wrote:
woiyo wrote:
From the FRENCH PRESS!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

What does it matter if it is was the french press? I didn't even noticed it was french. I just googled in the question you asked and that one of the results.

The point is there was a discussion of this in Washington (in the US in case you don't know where that is) and the head of a think tank was there to discuss the Iran situation and the answer to your question of what incentives is there for Iran to talk with US was addressed there. To repeat.

"Those incentives amount to basically withdrawal of all of the existing sanctions, diplomatic normalization, overt support for WTO (World Trade Organization) accession and of course security guarantees," he said.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2006/060228-iran-incentives.htm

Those are pretty big incentives.

Laughing ANd what does Iran do after we give away "the store". Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:39 am
nimh wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

The RNC. Full text of the memo was linked in above.

EDIT: And here it is on the RNC's site itself.

No, I know what is on the RNC site and didn't question the talking points--looks like they did some pretty good homework there. It isn't much different than the kinds of stuff you see on the DNC site though I've always questioned the strategic wisdom of letting the opposition know in advance what you know about them.

I'm still wondering about the statement of 'e-mails going out' to GOP talking heads' though. Who are GOP talking heads? And how do we know that the RNC sent the e-mails? It isn't all that important. I mean if you and I can go to the website and get that information, anybody can, right? I just wondered if there was an unfounded assumption there. That's all.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:07 am
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:21 am
What a nice article! Thanks, blueflame.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:32 am
Thomas wrote:
nimh wrote:

I didn't get it from a source I could link to. I got my copy via email. If I had, I would have provided the link.

Thanks for finding an alternative one and doing so, Nimh.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:39 am
sozobe, it is nice. "We've got two of our people who are going to be off the Supreme Court very soon. The next president will be making those two appointments and maybe more. There's just too much at stake.'' Hillary would be great for the Supreme Court imo.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:45 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Hillary would be great for the Supreme Court imo.

That kind of thinking is very, very frightening.

http://ericfoy.com/files/bill-hillary-clinton.jpg
0 Replies

blueflame1

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:49 am
cjhsa, yeah frightening to the Hagee, Robertson, Rapturite set.
0 Replies