mysteryman

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 04:46 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Do you have a source for who said that the GOP sent out emails Butrfly?

That isn't what I said. Go back and reread it.

But, to answer your question, yes.

And that source is...?
0 Replies

snood

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 04:52 am
Jesus, mysteryman - as if the credibility of the source is going to affect how well you accept some information that's damaging to the right.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 04:55 am
Ticomaya wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
"It reminds me that he might have an anger management issue." hahaha. Projecting McCain's personality disorders onto Obama wont work.

Spot on! Before we know it, all the weaknesses of McCain will be applied to Obama.

Weakness?

McCain's anger management issues.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:00 am
snood wrote:
Jesus, mysteryman - as if the credibility of the source is going to affect how well you accept some information that's damaging to the right.

Thats not it.
I prefer to read for myself, instead of taking anyone elses word for something.

Thats why I always post a link to any source I use, so that other people can read for themselves instead of just taking my word for something.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:05 am
mysteryman wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Do you have a source for who said that the GOP sent out emails Butrfly?

That isn't what I said. Go back and reread it.

But, to answer your question, yes.

And that source is...?

Does anyone doubt that the RNC and DNC, and the different presidential campaigns, send out emails with talking points to their supporters and to the press and pundits that they hope those will pick up on? That's not controversial, right? They all do it. It's no secret.

Anyway, this email was reproduced in full (as a copy/paste into your Google search field would have shown) by one of the many users posting on the Obama 08 site. It includes the footer as well:

Quote:
Republican National Committee | 310 First Street, SE | Washington, D.C. 20003
p: 202.863.8500 | f: 202.863.8820 | e: [email protected]

Paid for by the Republican National Committee.
310 First Street, SE - Washington, D.C. 20003 - (202) 863-8500
www.gop.com
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

Click here to leave this Newsletter

Copyright 2008 Republican National Committee

If you're doubting the veracity, here's Marc Ambinder at the Atlantic reproducing part of the text and some of the graphics that came with the memo, and here, Tico, is one of those places in the press where the memo came up:

Quote:
As the superdelegates flocked to Obama, the Republican national committee released a memo describing what it deems are his chief weaknesses heading into the general election against Republican nominee John McCain. The party said the prolonged nomination fight has left the party in a state of "disunity".

"He will inherit a fractured party that is deeply divided over his role as standard-bearer and his ability to be president," the memo read.

The party said that his support in primary contests has been eroding, and noted he has lost a majority of elections to Clinton since March 4.

"Obama is not wearing well as a candidate and has lost momentum since his high point in February," the memo read.

There's plenty more instances if you just Google this or that phrase from the memo with quotation marks around it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:21 am
nimh wrote:
There's plenty more instances if you just Google this or that phrase from the memo with quotation marks around it.

Yes, but why should Foxfyre and mysteryman bear the burden of Googling? When you're posting a claim that's flattering to your side of an argument or unflattering to your opponents', you are responsible for showing that it's not just cut&paste propaganda. It's common courtesy to your correspondents; you yourself show it practically always. Why expect less of Butrflynet? Unless I'm missing something, Foxfyre, Ticomaya, and mysteryman were asking perfectly reasonable questions. Or at least questions I ask them a lot, which may or may not be the same thing.
0 Replies

woiyo

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:13 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Obama specifically proposed 'economic incentives' for the Iranians to stop supporting terrorism and their nuke program.

And that's the exact correct move. Conservative warmongers will moan about us 'buying them off' or some such. But it's far cheaper then the alternative. Military action costs money, lives, and goodwill.

Get them into the system. Their people WANT to be in the system. Give them the opportunity and they will moderate themselves.

And if not - it isn't like our stick ever goes away. We could swoop in pretty much whenever we want and kick their asses if that's what things come to. So why not keep that aside for when it's actually needed?

Cycloptichorn

How naive of you.

What economic incentives are there? Oil?

Iran knows they have it, and we do not. Iran has other "customers" and does not need American Dollars.

So exactly what incentive is there for Iran to talk to the US about anything but removal of our presense from the region and the destruction of Isreal.

What Obama does not realize due to his inexperience is when you enter a negotiation, you must have something to negotiate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:28 am
This snippet from a NYT letter to the editor made me smile this morning:

Stephen M. Ahron wrote:
Tomorrow morning [June 4th], all parents can look their children in the eye and say with all earnestness: If you work hard enough, if you are talented enough, you can be elected president.
0 Replies

revel

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:31 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Obama specifically proposed 'economic incentives' for the Iranians to stop supporting terrorism and their nuke program.

And that's the exact correct move. Conservative warmongers will moan about us 'buying them off' or some such. But it's far cheaper then the alternative. Military action costs money, lives, and goodwill.

Get them into the system. Their people WANT to be in the system. Give them the opportunity and they will moderate themselves.

And if not - it isn't like our stick ever goes away. We could swoop in pretty much whenever we want and kick their asses if that's what things come to. So why not keep that aside for when it's actually needed?

Cycloptichorn

How naive of you.

What economic incentives are there? Oil?

Iran knows they have it, and we do not. Iran has other "customers" and does not need American Dollars.

So exactly what incentive is there for Iran to talk to the US about anything but removal of our presense from the region and the destruction of Isreal.

What Obama does not realize due to his inexperience is when you enter a negotiation, you must have something to negotiate.

Quote:
"Those incentives amount to basically withdrawal of all of the existing sanctions, diplomatic normalization, overt support for WTO (World Trade Organization) accession and of course security guarantees," he said.

source
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:52 am
sozobe wrote:
This snippet from a NYT letter to the editor made me smile this morning:

Stephen M. Ahron wrote:
Tomorrow morning [June 4th], all parents can look their children in the eye and say with all earnestness: If you work hard enough, if you are talented enough, you can be elected president.

Yeah, but what's changed about that? The same could have been said -- with the same earnestness -- before "tomorrow morning."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:53 am
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
"It reminds me that he might have an anger management issue." hahaha. Projecting McCain's personality disorders onto Obama wont work.

Spot on! Before we know it, all the weaknesses of McCain will be applied to Obama.

Weakness?

Do you feel Obama's anger management issues are a weakness for him?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:57 am
http://www.sahbasucks.com/images/mccain-angry.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:59 am
Nope.

(The Lieberman episode was about a willingness to confront when confrontation was called for, but "anger management"? How? The story includes mutual back-pats and smiles. This vs. McCain yelling expletives at friends and foes and wives alike, and not jokingly either.)

Ticomaya wrote:
Yeah, but what's changed about that? The same could have been said -- with the same earnestness -- before "tomorrow morning."

Nothing changed hugely, but it's one of those moment things -- a summing-up, a wow, this is really happening.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:01 am
This is a nice read, too:

Many Blacks Find Joy in Unexpected Breakthrough
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:03 am
nimh wrote:
... and here, Tico, is one of those places in the press where the memo came up:

Quote:
As the superdelegates flocked to Obama, the Republican national committee released a memo describing what it deems are his chief weaknesses heading into the general election against Republican nominee John McCain. The party said the prolonged nomination fight has left the party in a state of "disunity".

"He will inherit a fractured party that is deeply divided over his role as standard-bearer and his ability to be president," the memo read.

The party said that his support in primary contests has been eroding, and noted he has lost a majority of elections to Clinton since March 4.

"Obama is not wearing well as a candidate and has lost momentum since his high point in February," the memo read.

Now, nimh ... if you follow Butterflynet's advice and go back and read her post, you will note that she said the following:

Butrflynet wrote:
Emails were sent out to the GOP talking heads today with the following talking points to be pushed to their media contacts. We're already seeing these points in the press, and now we know where they came from. ...

"We're already seeing these points in the press, and now we know where they came from."

The implication being that these "talking points" issued by the GOP are being "pushed" to and thereafter regurgitated by "the press." She didn't say "the press" had written about a memo being disseminated by the RNC. On the contrary, she said, ""and now we know where they came from," referring to the talking points, as if they were appearing in news stories magically before news of "the memo" came to light.
0 Replies

woiyo

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:03 am
From the FRENCH PRESS!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:08 am
sozobe wrote:
Nope.

(The Lieberman episode was about a willingness to confront when confrontation was called for, but "anger management"? How? The story includes mutual back-pats and smiles. This vs. McCain yelling expletives at friends and foes and wives alike, and not jokingly either.)

Well I do find it interesting that it's a weakness for McCain, but when Obama shows a lack of control due to frustration or whatever, it's a positive: shows he has backbone and a willingness to confront when confrontation is called for.

Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Nothing changed hugely, but it's one of those moment things -- a summing-up, a wow, this is really happening.

Yes, it's been happening.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:13 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Well I do find it interesting that it's a weakness for McCain, but when Obama shows a lack of control due to frustration or whatever, it's a positive: shows he has backbone and a willingness to confront when confrontation is called for.

Where was the lack of control, though? It sounded pretty controlled to me. I've done exactly the same, consciously. (And sounded somewhat similar to his handling of McCain during the "poison pen" episode -- I've been looking forward to an Obama/ McCain general election match-up ever since.)

Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Yes, it's been happening.

Yes, it has. I'm not disputing that. It's been happening, and the actual moment of Obama cementing the nomination was a "wow" moment that focused the "been happening" aspect. This is such a difficult concept?
0 Replies

revel

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:17 am
woiyo wrote:
From the FRENCH PRESS!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

What does it matter if it is was the french press? I didn't even noticed it was french. I just googled in the question you asked and that one of the results.

The point is there was a discussion of this in Washington (in the US in case you don't know where that is) and the head of a think tank was there to discuss the Iran situation and the answer to your question of what incentives is there for Iran to talk with US was addressed there. To repeat.

"Those incentives amount to basically withdrawal of all of the existing sanctions, diplomatic normalization, overt support for WTO (World Trade Organization) accession and of course security guarantees," he said.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2006/060228-iran-incentives.htm

Those are pretty big incentives.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:21 am
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:

Weakness?

Do you feel Obama's anger management issues are a weakness for him?

Nope.

Now you and I can disagree about who has which anger management issues, but, at least so far, questions about McCain's have surfaced over and over again in the media and punditry - and with these things it's basically the perception that counts. Whereas, Obama and anger management issues? I'd never even heard of it. It's definitely not a mainstream concern. If anything he's been getting a lot of praise for being so equanimous in the face of all the hypes and turmoils of the campaign trail.
0 Replies