Diest TKO

Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:05 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Here are the myths that fuel left-wing doctrine, and require them to condemn your post:

This should be good....
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

1) The vast majority of "well-off" people in this country have never had to suffer or struggle, but have had their success handed to them.

Cool. Find me a post to back this up.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

2) The vast majority of "well-off" people in this country enjoy their status because they are either immoral and greedy, or self-absorbed and horribly materialistic.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

3) Being "well-off" implies a failing of personal character.

That's crap. Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and many others contribute to society.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

4) Being "unfortunate" implies nobility and a strength of character.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

5) The vast majority of people in this country who find themselves at the bottom of the socio-economic pyramid are there not only through no fault of their own, but because of the deliberate mechanizations of the "well-off" to place them there.

I'm sorry. I didn't know we controlled where we were born.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Do you want to claim that the "trickle down effect" is working?

Why is all of our capitol top-heavy?
6) There is no such thing as personal accountability, unless one is "well-off". A junkie shooting up in a tenament hallway can't be blamed for his predicament, but a fat-cat Wall Street banker is so venal that not only is he accountable for his evil, so are his children who are fair game for low-lifes like Bruce Marks and his fellow NACA thugs.

You make me laugh. White collar crime frequently goes unpunished.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

7) People born into poverty, especially if they are African-American, cannot do anything to rise above their circumstances.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

8) Equity is "well off" Americans supporting "disadvantaged" Americans for as long as the "disadvantaged" desire.

Equity is Americans supporting Americans. It works both ways.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

9) Humans who believe they can manipulate ecological forces are guilty of hubiris and ignorance, while those who believe they can manipulate economic forces are enlightened and and full of grace.

How is this related to Asherman's post?
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

10) It is not only acceptable, but understandable why "advantaged" liberals (as opposed to the "well-off) will do whatever it takes to prevent their children from going to integrated schools.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There are more, but these 10 will do for now.

Finally. It's over.

T
K
O
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:48 am
nimh wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
There's a lot of hate here. Rolling Eyes

There sure is. From, um, all sides.

No kidding.

Meanwhile, this Op-Ed was encouraging. While Kristol might not be the most trustworthy source, he's saying things I've seen over and over again, here:

William Kristol wrote:

But then he goes into "the comeback of McCain" that will follow:

William Kristol wrote:

I think this is error #1. Obama isn't as good of a debater as he is a speaker, that's true. But I think he's been hamstrung in debates against Hillary due to her early exclamations about rough treatment. I think he's going to relish being able to go all-out against McCain, and I think people are going to be a little surprised by that side of him. (More digs, more quick comebacks, more passion in general while still remaining Steady Eddie -- I think there's a good chance that he'll needle McCain into an outburst and then bask coolly in the aftermath. Deadpan "is he done yet?" glances at the moderator, that sort of thing.) In general, there will be real, substantial differences to debate rather than the fine points of mandates, and I think Obama will be much stronger for that reason, too.

Quote:
More fundamental will be the question of the discrepancy between the image of Obama the uniter and the reality of Obama the liberal. That hasn't been much of a problem for Obama in the Democratic contest, since Clinton hasn't attacked from the right or even the center.

This isn't exactly true. Her "naive" thing re: talking to Iran isn't an attack from the left, and the "too liberal" issue has definitely been a talking point, whether it originated with her or not.

Quote:
But Republicans will. Last week, over drinks, one Republican strategist not affiliated with the McCain campaign mused about how an independent advertising effort against Obama might work. "Barack Obama: He's not who you think he is" would be the theme. The supporting evidence would come from his left-wing voting record in Illinois and Washington, spiced up with fun video clips of Reverend Wright.

Eh. I don't think it would do that much more damage than has already been done -- and that seems to be little to none. Again, this isn't something that would suddenly be uncorked as a brand-new thing.

Quote:
Who ultimately wins? In politics, as in life, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Many Republicans I know see the weaknesses of their party and of the McCain campaign all too clearly, and assume Obama will prevail.

I keep seeing that, yep.

Quote:
But a surprising number of Democrats with whom I've spoken expect a McCain victory. One told me he was struck by the current polls showing a dead-even race, suggesting both a surprising openness to McCain among Americans who disapprove of Bush and a striking hesitation among the same voters about Obama.

Eh. That's now. A little while ago, Obama and Hillary were both handily leading McCain, Obama by more. McCain currently is largely getting a pass. That will change once the nominee is decided and the Democrats turn their energies and attention to McCain. He has a lot of weaknesses.

Quote:

That's a valid point -- and part of why I thought the ad was so stupid, or more accurately the specific things Hillary said about "threshold" during that whole foreign policy period -- but I think that Obama's arguments about judgment are good, too. Especially now that the surge is looking not-so-successful.

Quote:
And an experienced Democratic operative e-mailed: "Finally, I think [McCain's] going to win. Obama isn't growing in stature. Once I thought he could be Jimmy Carter, but now he reminds me more of Michael Dukakis with the flag lapel thing and defending Wright. Plus he doesn't have a clue how to talk to the middle class. He's in the Stevenson reform mold out of Illinois, with a dash of Harvard disease thrown in."

In a close race, that "dash of Harvard disease" could be the difference.

"Doesn't have a clue how to talk to the middle class"? Is this guy serious? I think this might be "an experienced Democratic operative" in the "Taylor Marsh is a Democrat, I swear" vein. James Carville, perhaps?

I understand about the wine track and the bowling in a tie and all of that. But Obama has proven over and over again that he's very good at connecting with voters from all kinds of demographics -- including the middle class.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:12 am
Re: Obama '08?
sozobe wrote:
Didn't want to derail nimh's thread about Republicans. This can become the equivalent about Democrats, but my initial question is: Would Obama work, after all?

I have personally loved him but have been hesitant to back the idea of a presidential bid in 2008 for three main reasons, and also the ways they interact:

- Race
- Admitted drug use
- Inexperience

I'm wondering if they may not be as crippling as I had thought, though.

Race: If Hillary is really the presumed nominee, race could be in his favor in getting the nomination. Part of what is exciting about Hillary is that she could actually maybe (I don't think so, but in theory) be the first woman president. It's much more exciting to make the nominee another inspirational groundbreaker rather than defaulting to yet another old white guy.

Admitted drug use: While this is bad, it's the kind of thing that just possibly could play up a couple of Republican weaknesses. One is that he's already taken full responsibility. Sure, he tried it, he didn't like it, let's move on. I think that kind of full disclosure and accepting responsibility might be seen as refreshing by the electorate. Another is that it's the kind of thing that if the Republicans pounce on, it might just make THEM look bad. "Oh, sure, smear the black candidate with the drug allegations, dirty politics again." I think people are really sick of that crap.

Inexperience: This is the one that has changed the most since Obama first came up. I, personally, like to have a leader with a lot of experience. But things I've read here and that I've seen in general seem to be indicating that the zeitgeist is more towards "FRESH START." Get rid of the lying liars, the politicos, the fat cats. Get a breath of fresh air in there, someone with integrity and enthusiasm. Obama has that, in spades.

Things I've always liked about him:

Public speaking skills: This guy is GOOD.

Bipartisan appeal: He did amazing work in connecting to Republicans in Illinois, and has gotten a good reaction among many Republicans I know.

Savvy: He's made a lot of good decisions, politically.

Charisma: He's got it.

Idealism: This goes back to what I said re: inexperienced -- I think it's something that people really like to see, and can be especially good when paired with young.

Humor: Slightly different than charisma, and what made me start this thread. Read Maureen Dowd's column about his performance at a press dinner on Saturday (?), and it sounds like he did an amazing job.

Quote:
In the capital's version of "Dancing with the Stars," Senator Obama won, turning in a smoothy, funny performance that lifted him from his tyro track.

He tweaked fellow Democrats, telling the white-tie crowd: "Men in tails. Women in gowns. An orchestra playing, as folks reminisce about the good old days. Kind of like dinner at the Kerry's."

He mocked the president's unauthorized snooping, saying he'd "asked my staff to conduct all phone conversations in the Kenyan dialect of Luo." He advised W. to "spy on the Weather Channel, and find out when the big storms are coming."

After saying that he'd ejoyed the Olympic baithlon of shooting and skiing, he, deadpan, turned to Dick Cheney: "Probably not your sport, Mr. President."

She points out that Obama is 44, and that JFK, "who had a reputation as a callow playboy and lawmaker who barely knew his way around the Hill, was 43 when he became president."

What I know for sure is that when I think of all of the possible Democratic nominees, my reaction ranges from "could be OK" to "OH LORD PLEASE NO!!!", with one exception. Obama is the only one who makes me think, "Oh man, that would be SO great!!"

What do you think?

Szobe,
This is what started this thread, initially. One Correction, Obama is 46, the same age as my son and while he may NOT have the "experience", tried drugs, as a youth, just as Clinton smoked pot, bush did alcohol AND hard drugs, like "coke", I don't see anyone pointing out his , (Bush's), mediocre brain, how he had everything handed to him, Supreme Court, essentially GIVING Bush, the election over the popular vote, Hillary's originally being from a Republican family, that supported Goldwater and anti-black, anti-everything that is supposed be American, "free and equal", yet, she has an attitude, that SHE is "entitled", so "get outta my way, already, YOU", to Obama. Then, you have your anti-Black already pundits, joining in here, trashing Rev. Wright, when their home training is to be "white supremists", carefully taught by their parents, etc.

Here we are, 40 odd years, since the first civil rights legislation has been passed and even though EVERY effort, has been to thwart any progress for minorities, through mismanaged and wasted funds, that never reached the people it was designated for, more segregation in schools than imagined for inner city youth, housing that passes for low income, but unlivable and those it never reached and whites, who already think we've received MORE than our "fair" share. A federal government that watched a historic city, DROWN, in 2005, gave its' Black and White citizens, one-way tickets out of town and makes no effort to reunite American Citizens, with their ancestral home state, because the bottom line is to turn New Orleans into a "Disneyfied" area, says RACISM, in ALL of its' UGLY forms is ALIVE and KICKING.

You Repugs, whose designated candidate, MCCain, a "born" racist, that sold out other POW's, wants an America to revert back to the "bad old days" of separate and unequal. I was NOT moved at seeing him in Memphis, when he was one of the main deterrents, to making the King Holiday, a reality. All you racists, posting against an accomplished Black, taking part, as is his right to do so, will get what you wish for, is all I can say! FLAME away, as usual, but you can KISS me where the SUN, don't shine! Cool
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:19 am
well it's a known fact that the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.....
0 Replies

revel

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:21 am
Like you said, "Kristol might not be the most trustworthy source."

I think the guy must be schizophrenic to say on the one hand most republicans and democrats believe Obama will be the next president but then go on to say all that other stuff about after the summer. Or am I missing something here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:31 am
teenyboone wrote:
One Correction, Obama is 46

He was 44 when I started this thread... 2 years ago.

Revel, right, that's part of what I found encouraging. It seems to me that Kristol thinks Obama will win, then tries to cheer himself up with some not-very-convincing arguments about how McCain will come back.

I think it's very possible that McCain's looking at about his highest moment right now. He's the Republican nominee with all the perks that affords; but the Democratic nomination is the real story (in terms of media coverage) and the Dem candidates are busy with each other and only tangentially able to engage McCain.

We'll see.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:36 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well it's a known fact that the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.....

Since you're the expert on dog's asses, are you a dog? Cool
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:10 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Who are you kidding? Most people are pretty much stuck on the same rung of the ladder that they were born in. Just because you enjoyed opportunities, it doesn't mean everyone has the same opportunity.

And with that attitude, they are guaranteed to remain there.

Unless, of course, they win the lottery.

Recognizing facts is an "attitude" to you? What a stupid thing to say, even for you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:40 am
teenyboone wrote:
You Repugs, whose designated candidate, MCCain, a "born" racist, ...

Ah, that's right. He's a white man, so he was born racist.

Gotcha.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:42 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Who are you kidding? Most people are pretty much stuck on the same rung of the ladder that they were born in. Just because you enjoyed opportunities, it doesn't mean everyone has the same opportunity.

Recognizing facts is an "attitude" to you? What a stupid thing to say, even for you.

If you look in your wallet and it's empty, the fact is you have no money ... but your attitude is what you decide to do about it.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:

Gotcha.

Read whatever you wish! You do, anyway, Mr. one-way street, thinker! Thanks for reading MY mind! Cool
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:45 am
Asherman wrote:
I'm White, and have no reason to be either proud nor ashamed of it.

Well, of course, sonce being a white man, you are not part of an oppressed minority. So there is no need to to feel pride.

Quote:
I'm man, I enjoy it... but then sex is an enjoyable, if transitory past time.

I imagine verytransitory. More like non-existent.

Quote:
My guess is that most women enjoy being women.

Of course, you would have to guess about this.

Quote:
I have no privileges that aren't shared by every other American.

Bullshit.

Quote:
[/ I never was given a job due to Affirmative Action. [/quote]

No ****?

Quote:
I've attended many colleges and universities, always based on my ability to do well on standard tests.

Give the old man a gold star.

Quote:
I'm privileged to pay more in State and Federal Income Tax than most people earn in a year, because I worked hard serving the community for many, many years.
Quote:

Ever heard of finding a good accountant? This is the umpteenth time that you have boasted that you pay more in taxes than "most people" make. This obviously makes you think that you are better than others or that your life is better somehow because you have more toys. You spent your whole life in pursuit of these things but in the end they have given you nothing but the opportunity to make a fool of yourself bloviating on the internet about "all the stuff you got."

Quote:
Because I'm so "privileged" I get to pay off huge medical bills, that would have been written off if I were a minority, or worked for a minimum unskilled wage.

You should have bought decent health insurance. Would you elucidate about this minority health care plan that you talk about?

Quote:
I walk upright, can look any man in the eye. I have nothing, NOTHING to be ashamed of. Pity? Save it for those who need it. I don't spend much time "pitying" others, I either try to help or get out of the way.

Try to help? Oh yeah I believe that.

Never in any of your posts have I seen an inkling that you have learned anything about what life is really about. All you do is post nonsense about how great it is to be a fat old white conservative well-off self-made Republican and that everyone should/could be like you.

Never, ever have you gotten the point that being a fat, old well-off Republican is either something to be desired or something that will bring an individual happiness. I pity you.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

If you look in your wallet and it's empty, the fact is you have no money ... but your attitude is what you decide to do about it.

LOL

My wallet? I never carry more than a hundred in cash. I keep my money in Vanguard. ( I am getting over 4% in my money market fund) And I do my checking with Schwab who pays 3%. Why would I keep money in my wallet? I have all my needs taken care of and don't even have to develop coronary problems slaving in the corporate world or chasing down ambulances.

Seems to me that a successful attorney would have a lot more to do on a Monday morning than engaging people he considers brainless on an internet forum. In fact, I know successful attorneys don't have time for this as I KNOW what a successful attorney does. Intimately.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:07 am
Anyone else find the irony rather boring and typical?

Roxxxanne wrote:
LOL

My wallet? I never carry more than a hundred in cash. I keep my money in Vanguard. ( I am getting over 4% in my money market fund) And I do my checking with Schwab who pays 3%. Why would I keep money in my wallet? I have all my needs taken care of and don't even have to develop coronary problems slaving in the corporate world or chasing down ambulances.

Seems to me that a successful attorney would have a lot more to do on a Monday morning than engaging people he considers brainless on an internet forum. In fact, I know successful attorneys don't have time for this as I KNOW what a successful attorney does. Intimately.

Roxxxanne wrote:
Ever heard of finding a good accountant? This is the umpteenth time that you have boasted that you pay more in taxes than "most people" make. This obviously makes you think that you are better than others or that your life is better somehow because you have more toys. You spent your whole life in pursuit of these things but in the end they have given you nothing but the opportunity to make a fool of yourself bloviating on the internet about "all the stuff you got."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
teenyboone wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:

Gotcha.

Read whatever you wish! You do, anyway, Mr. one-way street, thinker! Thanks for reading MY mind! Cool

I have finally figured out what teeny's problem is.
She just cant stand to have conservatives on here.
She doesnt think that conservatives actually belong on this site...

Quote:
We tend to be left of center, some far left, some moderate, all with differing points of view. If you're conservative, this is NOT the forum for you

Those are her own words, and she cant stand the fact that there are conservatives on A2K.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:20 am
mysteryman wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:

Gotcha.

I have finally figured out what teeny's problem is.
She just cant stand to have conservatives on here.
She doesnt think that conservatives actually belong on this site...

Quote:
We tend to be left of center, some far left, some moderate, all with differing points of view. If you're conservative, this is NOT the forum for you

Those are her own words, and she cant stand the fact that there are conservatives on A2K.

Well that's understandable. Even over on the Conservatism in America thread, there are a few who simply can't grasp the concept or who can't accept that conservatives are people too.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:21 am
McGentrix wrote:
Anyone else find the irony rather boring and typical?

Roxxxanne wrote:
LOL

Roxxxanne wrote:

Seems to me that you guys need help making all that money that you claim to have work for you instead of handing it over to the IRS, for profit hospitals, etc.

If my posts are so boring, why are you reading them and even responding to them?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
Back to Obama 08

Obama has another super delegate, a state senator from Wyoming.

MSNBC is reporting that Condaleeza Rice is "interested" in the VP job.
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:34 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
If my posts are so boring, why are you reading them and even responding to them?

Good question.. my advice is not to.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:34 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Back to Obama 08

Obama has another super delegate, a state senator from Wyoming.

MSNBC is reporting that Condaleeza Rice is "interested" in the VP job.

So now you get to decide how a conversation flows?
Who gave you that power?
0 Replies