nimh

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:09 am
Setanta wrote:
Oh cool ! ! !

I am surprised that anyone outside of Canada would be familiar with that.

Mukluks

bbbblubber!
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:10 am
Nice read here on the race divide on states and how they impact the vote. Be sure to click on the chart to see the full version. The summary is that the data shows that in states with small but significant black populations, Clinton does well, but in states with very small black populations or very large populations, Obama does well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:11 am
engineer wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The word you wanted was plethora: p-l-e-t-h-o-r-a . . .

How true. Ever meet an engineer who could spell? Still, that is what the spell checker is for.

I was less interested in that than in a reference to a skit by a Montréal comedy group. I was presently surprised when Habibi tripped to the reference, because i would not have expected the group's skit to have been known in Holland.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:12 am
nimh wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Oh cool ! ! !

I am surprised that anyone outside of Canada would be familiar with that.

Mukluks

bbbblubber!

Gah-zee-boh!
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:18 am
:-)

Meanwhile, maybe I spoke too soon re: TX -- while nothing is DEFINITE, and won't be until June, things are more definite than they were:

Quote:
seven of nine* outstanding delegates, giving him a total of 99 Texas delegates to the party's national convention this summer. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton won the other two, giving her a total of 94 Texas delegates, according to an analysis of returns by The Associated Press.

Texas Democrats held both a presidential primary and caucus. Clinton narrowly won the popular vote in the state's primary March 4, earning her 65 national convention delegates to Obama's 61.

Precinct caucuses began immediately after polls closed primary night and quickly devolved into chaos in many parts of the state because of an unprecedented turnout of more than 1 million Democrats. The state party was never able to provide complete results from the caucuses, which is why the AP withheld nine delegates.

The precinct caucuses elected delegates to about 280 county and state senate district conventions on Saturday. The AP awarded the remaining delegates based on results from Saturday's conventions, showing Obama with about 58 percent of vote, compared to 42 percent for Clinton.

Obama won 38 delegates through the caucus/convention system, and Clinton won 29.

The final delegate allocation will be decided at the party's state convention June 6-7, and the numbers could change if either campaign is unable to maintain the level of support they had over the weekend.

Obama leads the overall race for the Democratic nomination with 1,631 delegates, including separately chosen party and elected officials known as superdelegates. Clinton has 1,501, according to the latest AP tally.

(AP)

*random association alert -- Seven of Nine was the name of a character played by Jeri Ryan who had been married to Jack Ryan who ran against Barack Obama for Senate and who was knocked out of the race due to divorce paper allegations that he had brought Jeri to sex clubs with the intention of, hmm, showing her off...
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:23 am
engineer wrote:
Nice read here on the race divide on states and how they impact the vote. Be sure to click on the chart to see the full version. The summary is that the data shows that in states with small but significant black populations, Clinton does well, but in states with very small black populations or very large populations, Obama does well.

Cool, thanks, engineer.

We had speculated at some point -- I completely forget where, maybe nimh's "Polls" thread? -- about the significance of that. One idea I remember is that in states with smaller black populations there is less racial tension (whites feel less threatened, or whatever). In states with large black populations, there might be racial tension but there are so many black votes, and black voters are so likely to go for Obama, that he wins.
0 Replies

revel

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:23 am
snood; it is too far to go back but it so happens that I have doing a lot of searching this morning on MLK speeches to find out if there were any similarity after hearing on TV a few times. I know you left the snips; but if anyone wants to read the whole transcript of the ones you left:

Time to break Silence

Here is part of another speech where he says other similar things.

Quote:
And not only does this thing go into the racial struggle, it goes into the struggle between nations. And I would submit to you this morning that what is wrong in the world today is that the nations of the world are engaged in a bitter, colossal contest for supremacy. And if something doesn't happen to stop this trend, I'm sorely afraid that we won't be here to talk about Jesus Christ and about God and about brotherhood too many more years. (Yeah) If somebody doesn't bring an end to this suicidal thrust that we see in the world today, none of us are going to be around, because somebody's going to make the mistake through our senseless blunderings of dropping a nuclear bomb somewhere. And then another one is going to drop. And don't let anybody fool you, this can happen within a matter of seconds. (Amen) They have twenty-megaton bombs in Russia right now that can destroy a city as big as New York in three seconds, with everybody wiped away, and every building. And we can do the same thing to Russia and China.
But this is why we are drifting. And we are drifting there because nations are caught up with the drum major instinct. "I must be first." "I must be supreme." "Our nation must rule the world." (Preach it) And I am sad to say that the nation in which we live is the supreme culprit. And I'm going to continue to say it to America, because I love this country too much to see the drift that it has taken.

God didn't call America to do what she's doing in the world now. (Preach it, preach it) God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war as the war in Vietnam. And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation.

The Drum Major Instinct

They have a host of speeches by MLK on YouTube

It seems MLK was more than just about "I have a dream." Moving though that truly was.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:34 am
nimh wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
You may have a point. When all there was to say about Obama was WOW, there wasn't much incentive for those who are not Obama-ites to hang around the thead. How do you argue against a WOW?

So then when there was actually something substantive to discuss, this did generate interest among those who enjoy discussing something instead of just saying WOW.

I guess you didnt actually read any of this thread back in those days, because it was a far cry from "just WOW". Back then there actually was substantive discussion. About the strengths but also flaws of Obama's platforms and proposals - those who were reading along will remember the rather exhaustive criticisms and defenses of Obama's health care plan, for example, thanks to Obama critic Thomas and Obams defender Soz, among others. About the strengths but also flaws of Obama's vision - inspiring or just vague? About strategies - is he able to expand the Democratic coalition, or vulnerable to even more erosion of the party's FDR-era voter base? About the role of race in America, and class - does Obama make enough of a priority of bread and butter issues of poverty, employment, income, is he not too wedded to the agenda of postmaterialist feel-good liberals?

The "substantive" contributions you claim for you and yours in this phase of the thread, on the other hand, basically come down to ever again dredging the mud of guilt-by-association with the Wright thing; recounting how some people (not you, of course, never you yourself, but some people) think Obama doesnt love his country and is at heart some black militant radical; and an endless flow of gotchas and "liberals suck! no, conservatives suck!" type exchanges.

Some substance.

You make valid points and no, I didn't overlook the more substantive analysis of Obama and his programs. But my perception was that the Hillary supporters who found fault with Obama's point of view were not treated so much as wonks but more as distractions or the ideological 'enemy'. But that was months ago, so my perception (and memory) could definitely be flawed.

As a realist, I know very well that the next President may be a Democrat and while both Obama and Clinton are too far left to earn my vote, I was strongly preferring Obama between the two. But I wasn't particularly interested in the differences between Hillary and Obama since I had already picked my dog in the fight. I was happy with Obama's WOW factor.

The Wright affair, however, shook my confidence and caused me to back up and take a second look.

The Wright bruhaha was not invented by those on A2K, but something so prevalently on the front pages and something that at least temporarily affected Obama's approval rating was not an insignificant interruption of more benign wonkism. To have ignored that or to assume that it would not impact the public perception of who Obama was would have been extremely naive. The only reason it was relatively quickly blunted was because Hillary's manufactured 'Bosnia under fire' story was even more compelling (and easier to understand) on the evening news. Once Hillary is out of the picture--which seems probable--Obama will come under ever increasing scrutiny. He wont have Hillary drawing off some of the fire.

Part of wonkism, I think, is knowing what storms are brewing on the horizon, which ones might regenerate, and assessing his ability and credibility to weather them.

Having said that, I dislike mud slinging as much as anybody and try very hard not to personally participate in that. I think throwing out stuff just to see what might stick is the ugliest side of American poltiics. I don't see analysis of whatever PR problems a candidate might have as mud slinging, however. (Okay, I'll admit I came close myself with the Obama/Clinton collaboration theory, but that was more fun than mud slinging.)

Like you I would very much appreciate a forum where the nuts and bolts of policy, etc. could be explored without ugly partisan ideology sidetracking substantive discussion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:04 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The Wright bruhaha was not invented by those on A2K, but something so prevalently on the front pages and something that at least temporarily affected Obama's approval rating was not an insignificant interruption of more benign wonkism. To have ignored that or to assume that it would not impact the public perception of who Obama was would have been extremely naive. The only reason it was relatively quickly blunted was because Hillary's manufactured 'Bosnia under fire' story was even more compelling (and easier to understand) on the evening news. Once Hillary is out of the picture--which seems probable--Obama will come under ever increasing scrutiny. He wont have Hillary drawing off some of the fire.

Part of wonkism, I think, is knowing what storms are brewing on the horizon, which ones might regenerate, and assessing his ability and credibility to weather them.

I agree with this, I think -- I only take issue with the implication that the above hasn't already happened on A2K. Not all here on this thread -- at least one thread was started specifically to discuss the Wright issue. But all of that happened -- assessing Obama's ability and credibility to weather it (nimh's thread was specifically about that) -- and the whole thing certainly hasn't been ignored, by any stretch of the imagination.

And we've definitely talked -- over and over again -- about the fact that Obama will come under ever-increasing scrutiny as he progresses in the race (to the point where we just groan and say "there you go again, we know already!!!" when blatham brings it up for the umpteenth time. ;-)).

So what you say is certainly true enough in and of itself, but doesn't really seem to apply in terms of what's actually been happening here.

Quote:
Like you I would very much appreciate a forum where the nuts and bolts of policy, etc. could be explored without ugly partisan ideology sidetracking substantive discussion.

Cool. We can certainly do what we can to further that goal (while trying to keep our sanity if it proves impossible to sustain at all times).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:09 am
Soz writes
Quote:
I only take issue with the implication that the above hasn't already happened on A2K

I understand. It's just those like me who participate on a very few threads--limited time and all--usually pick one thread per subject and stick with it. I can see how our comments could appear excessive or overly repetitious to those who are focusing on specifics on multiple threads.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:11 am
Okeedokes. :-)

It's true that this stuff has been spread out over a lot of threads and it can be hard to keep up. I was gone for a week and am not even trying to get caught up on everything that happened when I was gone -- way too daunting!
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:31 am
A headline I've been waiting to see for a while:

Quote:
Delegate update: Obama wins TX
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 10:12 AM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, Obama

From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
NBC News has allocated the remaining nine Texas caucus delegates, 7-2, in favor of Obama. That means the Illinois senator has won the most delegates, 99-94, as a result of both the Texas primary and caucuses.

Obama now leads by 129 in the overall delegate count, 1637-1508. Obama leads by 162 pledged delegates, 1415-1253. (There remains just one delegate unallocated from Democrats Abroad.) Clinton leads among superdelegates, 255-222, per the NBC News Political Unit count.

Also note, the Obama campaign has passed around that it has picked up two delegates in Mississippi, showing Obama with a 20-13 lead. NBC News' count remains 19-14 for Obama so far.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/01/846611.aspx

I know this can still change in June.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
engineer wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The word you wanted was plethora: p-l-e-t-h-o-r-a . . .

How true. Ever meet an engineer who could spell? Still, that is what the spell checker is for.

We need to hang out. LOL.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:36 am
sozobe wrote:
NBC News has allocated the remaining nine Texas caucus delegates, 7-2, in favor of Obama. That means the Illinois senator has won the most delegates, 99-94, as a result of both the Texas primary and caucuses.

I hadn't realized NBC News got to make the allocation.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:37 am
sozobe wrote:
Okeedokes. :-)

See! There you go again, you Obamabots. With your racially coded language, playing the Malcolm X card! Dont let the Hillaryites catch you, they'll tear your unscrupulous appeal to the baser race instincts to shreds!

( :wink:)
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:42 am
Ticomaya wrote:
sozobe wrote:

It doesn't. But it (and many other news organizations) were reporting that Hillary won Texas, and now NBC has changed that based on what happened this weekend.

Nothing will be official for a while yet, but the uncritical "Hillary won Texas!!" stuff has been bothering me for a very long time. Texas has a primary AND a caucus. The caucus counts. When the caucus is counted, it looks like Obama won Texas.

Caught me, nimh!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 10:06 am
He gained another two in Mississippi as well.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5330945

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 10:09 am
Ticomaya wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Anyone with a brain would understand that soz meant "projected" to be allocated.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 10:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5330945

Cycloptichorn

Oh so now DU is allocating delegates? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

teenyboone

Tue 1 Apr, 2008 10:15 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

So why does Texas, operates this way? I'm confused? What will the Democrats gain, from having all of this confusion, over who will represent them? I'm almost praying that Obama gets out of this and let Hillary have this headache! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies