Asherman

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:02 pm
Absolutely devastated. I may drown tonight in the tears shed upon my silken pillow.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:02 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

Gosh, that last video sucks with the sound on! Anyway, the world is waiting for "I Am So Insane for John McCain" Roxxxanne's Third Straight Viral Video!
0 Replies

okie

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:03 pm
Actually, Obama could improve his cadre of advisors by leaps and bounds by appointing Asherman in place of Jeremiah Wright. He would certainly get infinitely better advice. I don't know if Asherman would accept the job however.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:07 pm
Ariana Huffington
A McCain Moment: Do You Want Four More Years of This?

Posted March 24, 2008 | 05:07 PM (EST)

If our polarized country can agree on one thing, it's that the greatest danger facing America over the next decade will not be Islamic extremism and instability in the Middle East, but rather Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. That's just "common knowledge," right?

So it only makes sense that the media have focused non-stop on this looming threat while paying scant attention to the fact that the presumptive Republican nominee for president apparently doesn't have a clue about what's going on in the Middle East.

And with the U.S. death toll hitting 4,000 (with 25 American soldiers killed over the last two weeks, the deadliest fortnight for our troops since September 2007), and with another 57 people killed in Iraq yesterday, John McCain's tenuous grasp on what is happening in the region becomes all the more worthy of attention.

For those who were too busy watching Rev. Jeremiah Wright damn America for the 10,000th time to hear about McCain, let's review: at a stop in Jordan last week, McCain made the ludicrous claim that Al Qaeda insurgents were being trained in Syria. Asked again about it, he dug in deeper, claiming it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known."

A few moments later, McCain's chief lady in waiting, Joe Lieberman, leaned forward and whispered in his ear. McCain promptly offered a quick rewrite: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

Now, it's been widely reported that, heading into the Iraq war, George Bush had no clue about the differences between Sunni and Shia. But that was 2003, and it was George Bush. This is five years later and we're talking about John McCain. But it turns out this acclaimed foreign policy expert doesn't know the difference between Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda in Iraq, Sunni insurgents, Iran and Syria. Or, perhaps more charitably, he's doesn't care to know.

Yes, John McCain is a war hero, and yes, we're all grateful for his service during the Vietnam war. But as McCain's embarrassing foreign fact-finding fiascos make clear: having acted heroically in a foreign war does not magically translate into foreign policy expertise and judgment.

Yet every time McCain packs a suitcase, the press automatically anoints him as "presidential." They dutifully did it on this latest trip, even though it came just under a year after McCain's clownish stroll through a Baghdad market, which he declared proof that one could "walk freely" around Baghdad -- while being guarded by three Blackhawk helicopters, two Apache gunships, and 100 armed soldiers.

The fact that the presumptive Republican nominee doesn't grasp the general outlines in Iraq would seem to be a big story. But not to the mainstream media. As soon as they heard that the Straight Talk Express had run off the road, they sprang into action to get the wreckage out of view. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

To the Washington Post, it was just a "gaffe." CNN let stand the McCain campaign's assertion that he had just "misspoke." Brit Hume, senior member of the McCain Support Team, brushed it off as "blip," and a "senior moment." (Of course, Hume had a very different take on "senior moments" when it came to Jack Murtha.)

Not content with excuses, one of McCain's foreign policy advisors, Max Boot, decided to tout the "misstatement": "What gaffe?" Boot asked, going on to claim, "there is copious evidence of Iran supplying and otherwise assisting Al Qaeda in Iraq and other Sunni terrorist groups (including Al Qaeda central). The 9/11 Commission itself noted a number of links between Iran and Al Qaeda." And McCain senior foreign policy advisor Randy Scheunemann claimed there is "ample documentation" for this.

This would be news to Lt. Gen. Ray Odierno. In July, Odierno, then the No. 2 commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, said, "We don't see any evidence, significant evidence, that shows that [Iranian-controlled] groups that are funding and providing arms to Shia extremists are directly related to al Qaeda."

No matter, because as Brit Hume says, "we all agree that McCain has understanding and knowledge of world affairs."

Sorry, Brit, but we don't all agree. In fact, we don't all agree at all.

Yes, McCain loves to talk about war. He loves to talk about "service," and "character," and "sacrifice" -- which are all great things. But McCain's version of foreign policy is simply rah-rah melodrama. It's like watching a John Wayne movie.

This was no gaffe. A gaffe would be something that was out of the ordinary. This is the opposite of a gaffe. This is evidence. And it's evidence we should not ignore. We already know what it's like to have a president who just assumes that whichever way he wants things to be is "common knowledge." It turns out that it's not just George Bush's war that McCain wants to continue; it's George Bush's approach.

Does the country want another George Bush in the White House? Voters should at least be given all the facts so they can make that decision for themselves. The problem is that the media have got an image in their creaky narrative machines about John McCain and they're sticking to it. It's much easier to just present the tried-and-true version of McCain that that has prevailed since 2000 instead of presenting the new McCain as he's become: cavalier, dismissive, and lazy about the facts.

John McCain doesn't need surrogates. He's got the media. Which is why his "gaffe" wasn't bigger news. Doyle McManus, Washington bureau chief of the L.A. Times explained it this way on Face the Nation yesterday (as Harry Shearer noted on HuffPost): "Iraq wasn't what was on voters' minds." Unlike the sermons of Jeremiah Wright.

Sometimes, the reason why McCain's dangerously tenuous grasp on the facts doesn't strike the media as odd is because they believe the same thing. Here's a video of CNN's Kyra Phillips pushing the same Iran/al Qaeda nonsense in an interview with Gen. Petraeus. To his credit, the General sets her straight.

I know one thing that might have made the media play McCain's "misstatement" bigger: if it had been uttered by a Democrat. As NBC's Chuck Todd pointed out, if Clinton or Obama had said such a thing "this would have been played on a loop, over and over."

And it's hard to claim it's all just because the public is bored with Iraq and prefers a good story about incendiary pastors. If that's true, why was there no feeding frenzy about Rev. John Hagee, the bigoted minister who endorsed McCain, partly because McCain's foreign policy fits neatly into Hagee's apocalyptic (and I'm not speaking metaphorically) worldview? Again, the media rushed to let McCain off the hook, even though, as Hagee himself said in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, "McCain's campaign sought my endorsement."

You can count me as one who actually does have Iraq on my mind and who wants the next president to have a mind capable of understanding it -- and a thirst to do so. As his trip to Iraq makes clear, McCain is not a candidate who has crossed that threshold.

You Go Girl!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:08 pm
Well, there have been times I have not completely agreed with Ash's "verbose drool", but I have never failed to admire it or learn from it. Yes, I think Ash would get Obama into a whole lot less trouble than Jeremiah Wright has. Smile
0 Replies

okie

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:21 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ariana Huffington...

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:21 pm
foxfyre you really have a marvellous skill at digression.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:29 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Ashman wrote: "In my opinion, if the Democratic Party truly believes in the evil of white America, and that Obama is the best candidate to truly change things, then they should make him their nominee. But, don't expect that conservatives...

This guy thinks he has knowledge about democrats, when in fact he doesn't even know what America is about.

He doesn't know what anything is about. He is so out of touch that any opinion he offers is likely the exact opposite of reality. I wish he would give me the time back that I wasted reading his verbose drool. I shan't make the same mistake again.

Is it my imagination, or is Roxxy in a heightened state of late?

Another molting episode?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:49 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Ashman wrote: "In my opinion, if the Democratic Party truly believes in the evil of white America, and that Obama is the best candidate to truly change things, then they should make him their nominee. But, don't expect that conservatives...

This guy thinks he has knowledge about democrats, when in fact he doesn't even know what America is about.

He doesn't know what anything is about. He is so out of touch that any opinion he offers is likely the exact opposite of reality. I wish he would give me the time back that I wasted reading his verbose drool. I shan't make the same mistake again.

Is it my imagination, or is Roxxy in a heightened state of late?

Another molting episode?

She's back on the booze, Finn. She won't admit it, but that's my theory.

(And I don't claim any knowledge on the subject, but I'm not sure there's anything left to "molt.")
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:50 pm
Still haven't received a cogent answer as to what actions or decisions people who are critical of Obama's association with Wright, are actually worried about him carrying out in office.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 10:26 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Still haven't received a cogent answer as to what actions or decisions people who are critical of Obama's association with Wright, are actually worried about him carrying out in office.

Cycloptichorn

That's because no one is actually worried about Obama's actions directly connected to his Hate-Monger of a minister's sermons.

Please spare us this nonsense.

The issue is not that the elected Obama is going to burn an American flag or announce the US invented AIDs to wipe out African Americans.

(Perhaps there a few hundred miscreants who believe other wise, but then there are a thousands more who believe that the US did invent AIDs to eradicate gays and blacks, and, along with Jews, was behind 9/11)

Of course you and other Obama supporters want to frame this issue this way, but your intent is as obvious as a carbuncle on Quasimodo's face.

Please respond with a cogent answer as to why the following aspects of the Pastor Disaster are immaterial:

1) It defies credulity that a 20 year member of this church heard but one outrageous comment by Rev Wright, and that was after he announced his candidacy for President

2) Somehow renouncing what the Rev has said but not the Rev himself is OK. Should Obama renounce the Rev he might as well renounce the black community and his grandmother? Presumably this means that Obama believes that Rev Wright speaks for the black community and/or his grandmother is every bit a lewd racist as is Rev Wright.

3) Common sense tells us that either Obama joined this particular church , and declared this particular minister his spiritual mentor, simply for political expediency and advantage (and since he never went to service, he never knew what Wright was saying), or for 20 years he has been a stalwart member of the church and a spiritual apprentice of Rev Wright. There is no mid-ground that stands the test of common sense: It is truly unbelievable that Obama was all for the spiritual message of this church and its pastor, and never witnessed any of the outrageous antics of Rev Wright that we have seen on videos.

4) What about this entire mess supports the notion that Obama transcends "politics as usual" or "race?"

Obama need not do anything more than flounder around with cross-cutting explanations why he should not be tagged with the Wright's comments. Its not about what he will, specifically, do in office, it's about the malarky he his spewing to get himself into office.

Imagine McCain was a member, for two decades, of a church where the minister, throughout this entire time, preached that AIDS was God's curse upon homosexual abomination. Imagine that the minister was filmed making lewd comments and gyrations about Jesse Jackson's, or Larry Craig's sexual antics. Imagine that McCain identified the minister as his spiritual mentor and proudly spoke of how he married him and baptized his children, and that this same minister was known to give sermons that argued 9/11 was deserved by America for its decadent ways.

Do you really expect us to believe that in such a case you would be demanding "cogent answers" as to why anyone should worry about what McCain might do once elected?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:55 pm
Building on what Finn, Ash, and others have said well, it is not so much what a person will do when in office--a President is very limited on what he is able to do--but it is the values and leadership that a President is likely to provide.

Again, I think most of us want a President that we know or hope holds certain values that are important to us. Conservatives would not choose Obama who has almost never voted right of center. Conservatives would not choose ANYBODY who votes left of center almost 100% of the time. I've said that several times now.

Also, as a totally separate issue, I have said several times that I want a President who is proud of, loves and appreciates America and who will build from the best that America is even as we deal with problems that need to be dealt with. I do not want a President whose heart and allegiance is with another place and who condemns America in his heart as a racist, bigoted, evil place that would commit genocide on some or any of its people. That is the message of Jeremiah Wright, and that is the message that I believe most Americans reject.

Obama may or may not share those views with Jeremiah Wright, but his P.R. problem is a 20 year close association and involvement with Wright and his church duirng which he apparently saw nothing wrong or particularly controversial, and he is just now speaking up when that association became a political liability for him.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 12:36 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
That's because no one is actually worried about Obama's actions directly connected to his Hate-Monger of a minister's sermons.

Nuff said.

T
K
O
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:45 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Imagine McCain was a member, for two decades, of a church where the minister, throughout this entire time, preached that AIDS was God's curse upon homosexual abomination. Imagine that the minister was filmed making lewd comments and gyrations about Jesse Jackson's, or Larry Craig's sexual antics. Imagine that McCain identified the minister as his spiritual mentor and proudly spoke of how he married him and baptized his children, and that this same minister was known to give sermons that argued 9/11 was deserved by America for its decadent ways.

Do you really expect us to believe that in such a case you would be demanding "cogent answers" as to why anyone should worry about what McCain might do once elected?

I'm curious if Cyclops, TKO, Roxxxanne, etc will grace us with an answer here.

Obama's church ties are F#cked up. Admit it and we can move on.
0 Replies

revel

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:01 am
Quote:
Obama's church ties are F#cked up. Admit it and we can move on.

Yes they are. I still think he will make an excellent president and I believe his explanations as do a lot of other people as most polls have shown.

Quote:
Barack Obama gained a boost yesterday when the first poll taken since his make-or-break speech last week on race put him back ahead of Hillary Clinton. A nationwide Gallup poll put Obama on 48% to Clinton's 45%. The same poll last week, taken at the height of the row over Obama's minister in Chicago, Jeremiah Wright, gave Clinton her first lead for weeks, 49% to his 42%.

Snippets of Wright's sermons calling on members of the congregation to sing "God Damn America" had been playing on cable television. On Tuesday, Obama gave a speech in Philadelphia rejecting Wright's views but refusing to disown him, and putting Wright in the context of race relations in the US overall.

Both the Obama and Clinton campaign teams have been anxiously awaiting the first poll to see how the speech played with the public. Gallup began polling on Wednesday and continued through to Friday. The poll was of 1,264 Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters.

Obama left the campaign trail on Friday for a holiday. He is due back tomorrow, resuming campaigning in North Carolina, one of 10 states left still to vote on the Democratic nomination. The big test will be the Pennsylvania primary on April 22. If Obama can keep Clinton's expected victory to 55-45, he will remain on course to take the nomination.

source
0 Replies

blueflame1

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:04 am
Finn dAbuzz, God damn this guy. "McCain's buddy John Hagee, Holocaust Revisionist"
by: pam
Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 14:30:00 PM EST

And when is Tim Russert going to ask John McCain about some of these beliefs of John Hagee? The Arizona senator said that he was "pleased to have the endorsement of Pastor John Hagee," who condemns Catholics, gays, women, blacks and more from the pulpit at the 17,000-member Cornerstone Church.
This film by Troutfishing of DKos, highlights some of the batsh*t crazy writings of Hagee.

Read the whole well-documented diary. Take a look after the jump at what Hagee has to say about the Holocaust to Max Blumenthal at a Christians United For Israel conference when confronted about his opinion that Jews are to blame for the Holocaust.

pam :: McCain's buddy John Hagee, Holocaust Revisionist
The video is full of jaw-dropping interviews with fundies awaiting the Rapture, with a guest appearance by Holy Joe Lieberman.
http://www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=4658
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:16 am
dailykos.kom

Harry Reid Speaks. Hillary's Chickens Coming Home.
by Hope08
Mon Mar 24, 2008 at 10:28:21 PM PDT

Does the Democratic party have the will to win? Can they stand up to the Clinton machine?

If Hillary's fate falls into the hands of Jimmy, Al and Nancy, the Clinton chickens may come home to roost.

NYT

Can we add Harry Reid to Dowd's list of chickens?

* Hope08's diary :: ::

Linky

Question: Do you still think the Democratic race can be resolved before the convention?

Reid: Easy.
Q: How is that?

Reid: It will be done.
Q: It just will?
Reid: Yep.
Q: Magically?

Reid: No, it will be done. I had a conversation with Governor Dean (Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean) today. Things are being done.

That's all the Nevada Democrat would say about it.

On Michigan and Florida:

>"Michigan and Florida wouldn't play by the rules," Reid said. "They're not my rules. They're not the caucus' rules. They're DNC rules. They broke the rules."

Adding delegates for those states, he noted, would alter the number of delegates needed to get the nomination, currently 2,025. It wasn't crystal clear, but Reid seemed to suggest that delegations from those states should get to attend the convention, but not vote.

So MI and Fl can dance but they can't pick the music. Sounds good to me.

Democratic leaders are watching McCain strengthen before their eyes and unbelievably they have a candidate willing to prop up the REAL opponent in order to score points. That can't go over well with partisans in D.C. So now we see some of our party leader: Pelosi, Reid, Richardson step up to the plate. Clinton will not destroy the parties chances to win in November. We will have a nominee before Denver regardless. The idea of a brokered convention is a wet dream of the media as was the revotes in MI and FL. It's not going to happen.

I think they've been foolish enough to let it go on this long. Republicans in that way are smarter, they know how to fall in line (see Frontline doc "Bush's War" and swift rally behind McCain). If endorsements had come before Texas, he would have won that state in the popular vote and the caucus and Hillary would have been done. At a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago, Obama talked about how afraid the Democratic party is of changing the status quo. He seemed to have a look of determination and disappointment. I know I expected more from the party leaders before OH and TX to try and put this nomination fight to an end. Perhaps Edwards going on Leno was an attempt to reaffirm the greatness of the party and both candidates as a neutral party while other people begin to take the side of the leader.

So the next few weeks will be instructive. The media and republicans seems to be reveling in our so called "civil war". If we can't lead ourselves through this how can we ask the country to give us control over 2 branches of government? It's our test. Our moment is now.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:21 am
fact it finn... the obamaites will defend him no matter what... nothing or no one he is associated with and nothing he's ever done or might do matters to them... only the fact that they are completely infatuated and devoted to him.

It's so bush like it defies description.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:25 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

1) It defies credulity that a 20 year member of this church heard but one outrageous comment by Rev Wright, and that was after he announced his candidacy for President

Let's say Wright ranted once every other month for twenty years and that rant lasted for 10% of his sermon on that day. I think that is probaly overdone, but if that is the case, Obama and others overwhelmingly heard other messages that they could agree with. My pastor's hit rate is not that good to be honest. I think it is interesting that the one conservative that supports Wright is Huckabee who has stood on that podium himself.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

2) Somehow renouncing what the Rev has said but not the Rev himself is OK. Should Obama renounce the Rev he might as well renounce the black community and his grandmother? Presumably this means that Obama believes that Rev Wright speaks for the black community and/or his grandmother is every bit a lewd racist as is Rev Wright.

Should Obama renounce all bigots of all magnitudes in the US? Not many constituents left in that case. Wright probably does speak for a significant minority of the black population and his grandmother's prejudices are similar to those I see in people of my parents' generation. Rejecting the sin but not the sinner is a very Christian concept.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

3) Common sense tells us that either Obama joined this particular church , and declared this particular minister his spiritual mentor, simply for political expediency and advantage (and since he never went to service, he never knew what Wright was saying), or for 20 years he has been a stalwart member of the church and a spiritual apprentice of Rev Wright. There is no mid-ground that stands the test of common sense: It is truly unbelievable that Obama was all for the spiritual message of this church and its pastor, and never witnessed any of the outrageous antics of Rev Wright that we have seen on videos.

He knew about them by his own admission, but they were infrequent and dismissed. I disagree with my pastor about a quarter of the time, but I have reasons for staying in the church.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

4) What about this entire mess supports the notion that Obama transcends "politics as usual" or "race?"

Nothing so much about this mess as about the entire campaign in general. He's not running on his race. By recent campaign standards, his campaign has been exceptionally clean. He actually presents a vision of a better future for the US, much like Reagan did.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

McCain would be loved by the right and held in the highest esteem. There are right wing preachers who preach exactly this and they are still prominent among the right. McCain would say "I reject that message" and the story would die within a week.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:06 am
I'll write a longer answer here in a little while. But I wanted to specifically address this first:

Quote:

Also, as a totally separate issue, I have said several times that I want a President who is proud of, loves and appreciates America and who will build from the best that America is even as we deal with problems that need to be dealt with. I do not want a President whose heart and allegiance is with another place and who condemns America in his heart as a racist, bigoted, evil place that would commit genocide on some or any of its people. That is the message of Jeremiah Wright, and that is the message that I believe most Americans reject.

I'm sorry, but that is not the message of Reverend Wright, and I have no idea how you could think that it is. What amazing hubris you display! You have seen a few clips on TV and the internet. That's it. Probably a total of 2 minutes out of the thousands of hours he's spent preaching. 2 minutes designed to highlight his most objectionable and controversial statements. And yet, you feel qualified to speak of his message?

I'm sure that membership in his congregation had its' ups and downs. Just like most churches. You are painting this fellow as a caricature of a man, a demon, an anti-white devil, for political purposes. And it's absurd and sad to see it happen.

Quote:

Please respond with a cogent answer as to why the following aspects of the Pastor Disaster are immaterial:

First, it depends on what you find to be 'outrageous.' For example, Wright has been attacked by right-wingers for saying 'God Damn America!' The full quote he said was 'God Damn America, when we treat our people with inequality!' To me, that's not an outrageous statement in the slightest. Yet it has been treated so by your group for political reasons.

I'm sure he did say some outrageous or objectionable things while Obama was in the crowd, yes. But so what? How does that make him different then other preachers or pastors? I don't buy this holier-then-thou attitude that the right-wing projects and never have. Let's ask McCain's pastor what he thinks about the statements:

Quote:
"All preachers have a tendency to overstate because our passion is so intense. But I thought Obama did a fine job in response. He preserved his friendship with his pastor while disagreeing with him," Dan Yeary said.

The guy gets rolling up on stage and says stuff he shouldn't. He's probably well aware of it. Various interviews done have shown that he knew he was going to be a liability to Obama. But that doesn't make him an America-hater, or a devil, or the caricature that your side is making him out to be. Just a fallible man, like you or I.

Quote:

No, it doesn't mean that at all, and that's a moronic thing for you to say, though not surprising. It means that people have greater and deeper elements to them then a 2-minute highlight reel of their worst moments; and that goes for his Grandmother, who I'm sure is a good lady who he loves deeply, and the Black community, which he also cares for deeply despite the fact that they can say or do stupid things from time to time.

You just can't seem to understand the fact that there are good points to people as well as bad points. It's a level of absolutism which is ridiculous in it's simplicity. People's lives are more complicated then that.

Quote:

Once again, a dumb statement based upon a black-and-white view of the world. What is more likely is that Obama's attendance in church has waxed and waned over time, and since he has been elected to office, it has been significantly less then before.

What's amazing to me is that you haven't bothered to do even the slightest bit of research on this topic. Obama has clearly stated that he has discussed his differences with the Rev. many times, including before he even became a member of his church 20 years ago. To you, Obama should have been an absolutist and quit the second something even slightly anti-American came out of the Rev's mouth. But that's ridiculous and stupid. In the real world, people don't have a flag jammed up their ass, and understand that you can criticize things you love without hating them.

Quote:

Obama could have done the easy thing to do, and simply distance himself from the church. He could have thrown Rev. Wright under the bus easily enough. But instead, he didn't lie about his past; he didn't lie about the problem that is really highlighted here, and the one which you and other right-wingers perpetrate with your stupid 'colorblind society' bs: that while racial relations have taken great strides in America over the last century, they still have a long way to go in order for us to reach true equality. Facing and accepting this fact is a difficult thing for us to do. He used his speech to raise the bar of discussion of race in America, and did so in a fashion which may not actually have helped him in this race to the level it could have.

THAT'S the difference with Obama. Hillary and McCain are not even CAPABLE of doing what he did in that speech. He didn't just go with politics as usual, he went with something bigger; and it paid off well for him, as his speech was universally praised and has had real effects starting this racial conversation amongst peoples all over the country.

---

Nobody's worried about any actions Obama might do differently because of Wright; all you see is an opportunity, an opening, to show that Obama has allied himself with someone who is easy for you to attack using overly-simplified and stupid arguments, ones which unfortunately can have traction with the uneducated or simply uninformed. Yes, a ten-second clip can make someone look bad. There's no art in that whatsoever. But a deeper look into the same subject reveals that there's not much there to criticize at all.

Quote:

Not me. I think that all religious people are about equally crazy. I really couldn't give a damn what someone who isn't the candidate themselves has to say about anything. All this huff and puff about what surrogates or associates say; it is meaningless. What is not meaningless is the actual plans and policies the candidates propose, and that is where McCain's true problems lie: he is proposing to continue EACH AND EVERY policy that Bush is currently using, the ones he used to rail against, the ones the country still in most ways disagree with. He's going to get trounced on this argument, because his position has already been rejected, and he lacks the skill to argue people back around to it.

There is no real attack with the Wright thing; only a smear, mixed with innuendo, mixed with a blanketed racial division. That's the best hope for you guys this fall. And that's funny and pathetic all at once Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies