spendius

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:17 pm
@georgeob1,
I wouldn't vote for anybody who doesn't drink beer for religious reasons. Mr Obama is supposed to have installed a Home-Brew kit in the WH as soon as he got in there. He's gone a bit downhill since he gave up smoking. As well he might. It had that effect on everybody I have known who gave up.

My instinct would instruct me to vote for Mr Obama on the grounds that in tense situations 4 year's experience is likely to have a better grasp than a rookie. And I like Joe Biden as well and I would far rather him a heartbeat away than Mr Ryan. (Gulp!!).
spendius

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:19 pm
@georgeob1,
I would recommend you read Thorstein Veblen's Absentee Ownership George if I thought you dare.
spendius

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:21 pm
@spendius,
Here's a question. Who is in favour of the President taking performance enhancing drugs if they helped him to get a boom going?
georgeob1

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I wouldn't vote for anybody who doesn't drink beer for religious reasons. Mr Obama is supposed to have installed a Home-Brew kit in the WH as soon as he got in there. He's gone a bit downhill since he gave up smoking. As well he might. It had that effect on everybody I have known who gave up.

My instinct would instruct me to vote for Mr Obama on the grounds that in tense situations 4 year's experience is likely to have a better grasp than a rookie. And I like Joe Biden as well and I would far rather him a heartbeat away than Mr Ryan. (Gulp!!).

I cling to the presumption that there is more substance to your literary pretentions than those of POM, and more real irony in your comments. I hope I'm not wrong. It surprises me that you care about it.

You've offered an interesting argument for permanent incumbency in a democracy, or perhaps an hereditary monarchy. Unfortunately, most of the rest of us have long since abandoned those curious ideas. However, you're British and that might explain your "instincts".

Whether or not one smokes, drinks beer, or likes avocados or pomegranates are things which concern me very little.
spendius

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 04:58 pm
@georgeob1,
Avocados or pomegranates never had the slightest effect on my performances.

They cannot be compared to alcohol and nicotine in any way, shape or form. Or at least until they have been fermented. One doesn't eat hops or fuggles.

If they were any good dried and rolled in paper tubes and their smoke inhaled I suspect the human race would have discovered the fact in neolithic times.
spendius

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:03 pm
@spendius,
There are millions of people now who believe that we can stop nicotine use and get away with it.
georgeob1

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:19 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

There are millions of people now who believe that we can stop nicotine use and get away with it.

I agree. The same is true of alcohol and even avocados & pomegranates. However, I wouldn't be willing to give up the wine I enjoy so much or even the avocados I like in my salads. The nicotene and pomegranates are things I don't care about, but I try not to prejudge the preferences of others.

Do they smoke and serve alcoholic drinks in the pubs you frequent and describe so lovingly?
Frank Apisa

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:43 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Re: spendius (Post 5136199)
Here's a question. Who is in favour of the President taking performance enhancing drugs if they helped him to get a boom going?

If I had asked that question, Spendius, you probably would have dismissed it as a stupid question.

I want to acknowledge that it is one of the best questions you have ever proposed. Wish I had asked it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 02:59 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Me.

I'm in favor of all performance enhancing drugs that don't prematurely put an end to performance of any kind.

However if the president is willing to give up ten or more years of his life to bring back our economy...I might vote for him!

The difficulty is that he starts with such a low baseline that the amount of drug needed to do the trick would probably kill him within 30 minutes.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do they smoke and serve alcoholic drinks in the pubs you frequent and describe so lovingly?

They certainly do serve alcoholic drinks but we have to go outside to smoke. The ******* liberals are working assiduously on the former after their sneaky victory on the latter.

A number of people I have spoken to do not wish smoking to be reinstated in pubs because they have found in the little huddles on the car park people they never would have thought existed. The next trick is to render the car park comfortable without it being defined as a confined space.

The thing about ******* do-gooders is that they assume there will be no countervailing retaliation.
spendius

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:20 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
President Obama has finally kicked the habit.

"Yes, he has," First Lady Michelle Obama proudly declared Tuesday when asked by reporters if it was true he quit smoking. "It's been almost a year."

Asked for a more specific date, Michelle Obama said she didn't know exactly "because he never smoked a lot" - and because she never saw him light up.

"He's always wanted to stop," she added.

The First Lady said Obama's chief motivation for quitting was because he wanted to be able to look daughters Malia, 12 and Sasha, 9, in the face and say "No" if they ever asked him about his not-so-secret vice.

Hence his lackluster performances recently. Doing what the wife and daughters want is more important than doing what the US wants.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:31 am
@spendius,
I posted this the other day--

Quote:
I would recommend you read Thorstein Veblen's Absentee Ownership George if I thought you dare.

It attracted 2 thumbs down.

It is one of the most famous books in American economic science and the only first edition of it I have ever seen for sale has an asking price of almost $2,000.

The petulant thumbers are obviously spokespersons of the Dumbing Down Brigade. Possibly they are hoping to render us all as stupid as they are.
Gargamel

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:59 am
@spendius,
Your habit of recommending books over the years hasn't fooled anyone into thinking you're an intellectual, particularly because those books apparently haven't made you the least bit articulate.

I seem to remember you telling some young writer that he should aspire to write like Flaubert. Paramedics eventually were able to pull me out of my laughter coma.
spendius

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 09:17 am
@Gargamel,
I had had no intention of fooling anyone that I am an intellectual Gargle. I recommend books, or refer to them with a touch of right hand down spin, because I have found them useful for anyone with an aspiration to be thought of as an intellectual, either by himself or by others, the former being a type of madness for which there is no known cure, and the latter being perfectly understandable in view of the known advantages of basking in the esteem of one's fellow travelers on the weary road of woe.

Obviously anyone making snap judgements on whether another poster is not the least bit articulate has no such aspiration. Never will have.

Sour grapes. I wish I could write like Flaubert. Or Veblen. The Symphony of the Weaving of the Winds.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:10 pm
@spendius,
spendi

By now you should realize that the thumbs down feature in this forum, despite all of Robert's good intentions, is simply a way for the craven to respond to posts without having to possess the intelligence for forming a cogent sentence, let alone an argument.

You were never going to be a favorite here (and if you imagined you might, you probably need to seek the assistance of a psychologist), so why give a damn about the cretins who thumb you down?

Do you think that the fools who attract 5 to 7 thumbs up do so because of their wit and wisdom?

There are far more than 7 people posting to this forum and yet the plus and minus of this silly feature rarely exceeds that number.

That tells us that there are 5 to 7 truly immature and cowardly members who don't find even the annonymity of their secret identities sufficent to protect them from meaningful retribution.

They are the shits who hang about he edges of a fight and sneak in a kick here and a thrown rock there.

Rockhead

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think you need a little more moral indignation with your bile, finn.

you bastion of conservative do-gooderness...
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
so why give a damn about the cretins who thumb you down?

I don't. I like taking the piss out of the silly fuckers though.

Quote:
Do you think that the fools who attract 5 to 7 thumbs up do so because of their wit and wisdom?

Such a silly idea has never entered my head.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
Finn wrote:

Quote:
"...immature and cowardly members who don't find even the annonymity of their secret identities sufficent to protect them from meaningful retribution."

It is to laugh.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:03 pm
@snood,
Here we go again...

Big Bad Snood who bravely revealed his actual identity as "Arthur Bevington," or some such is going to, once again, try to appear as if he is riding my ass because I won't reveal my actual identity, or supply a Arthur Bevington to shut him the hell up.

It's this simple, the next time he comes to the Dallas area he can PM me and I will do my utmost to meet him for drinks or dinner - on me in fact.

Irrespective of whatever childish taunts snood can muster, I'm not going to reveal my true identity in this forum and thereby either possibly suffer from the liberal intolerance of some of my clients or constrain myself from speaking my mind.

I promise you all that when I retire, I will proudly tell you all who I actually am... As if any of you care, least of all snood who just thinks like a dog watching the image of a bone on a television set.

If you don't want to travel to Dallas to confront me snood then stop your horseshit about how I don't want to travel to an A2k gathering to confront you.

Frankly, if you came to Dallas jut to meet face to face, I might be in peril from a lunatic.

End of story; end of debate on this topic.

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You wrote,
Quote:
liberal intolerance
. Where have you been all these years? Don't you have a dictionary to look for the definition of "liberal?" You are really behind the times. "Liberal intolerance" is a contradiction in terms.

Quote:
lib·er·al/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
Adjective:
Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.
Noun:
A person of liberal views.
Synonyms:
generous - bounteous - lavish - bountiful - free