georgeob1

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No more than I already have done.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It might also be a way of finding out who is thinking what and who is lying low.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:10 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It might also be a way of finding out who is thinking what and who is lying low.

I'm assuming that some form of government coersion is involved with georgeob1's thinking.

spendius

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Do you mean finding out which companies are engaging with White House thinking.

What George should do is petition for something obvious and that Mr Obama might agree with but which is not that important.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:31 pm
@spendius,
Or if he is more daring, petition for the impeachment of Obama and see if he gets to keep his contract with the government.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:38 pm
@spendius,
In my experience government contracting offices have been very scrupulous in avoiding any activities or communication outside the direct domain of their contract oversight functions. This is both unusual and a violation of explicit rules in the (very lengthy and tedious) Federal acquisition regulations.

Not very important in itself, but indicative of prevailing attitudes in some quarters of the bureaucracies that increasingly regulate our lives.
spendius

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 03:48 am
@georgeob1,
But the modern wisdom George is that we need our lives to be regulated more and more because of the increasing complexity of the economic system and the danger of the unregulated loose cannon dropping certain officials in the ****.

Why a man at your stage of life and in your exalted position should embroil himself in lengthy tedium is a complete mystery to me. There are too many anachronistic, doddering old cocks holding on to positions which experience suggests should be taken by ambitious young Turks who are up to speed on what it takes to organise a military/industrial economy. You would be the first to complain if the 49ers adopted a policy of shagged-out hasbeens retaining their position in the team.
georgeob1

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:58 am
@spendius,
Are you a consumer of "modern wisdom"?

I own a big piece of the damn company, and it turns out I'm pretty good at what I do. Besides I can do things on my own schedule and enjoy it.
0 Replies

High Seas

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:16 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
....Why a man at your stage of life and in your exalted position should embroil himself in lengthy tedium is a complete mystery to me...

Sorry haven't followed that discussion - what's the "lengthy tedium" being referred to here, reading your posts? It's a complete mystery to me as well Smile
spendius

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:36 pm
@High Seas,
The "lengthy tedium" is an aspect of George's job which it now turns out he enjoys.

The head of our Civil Service once said that his job consisted of long periods of tedium punctuated by occasional orgies.
High Seas

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:41 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
The head of our Civil Service once said that his job consisted of long periods of tedium punctuated by occasional orgies.

Thanks - this must be your government's global "warming" expert! Previously he watched Arctic ice melting; now he can also worry about its thickness.....
http://media.economist.com/images/images-magazine/2011/06/25/WO/20110625_WOM906.gif
Since this is the Obama 08 thread (nobody here thinks it will be updated?!) we haven't heard too much about global warming from that quarter, recently.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:23 pm
@High Seas,
The discussion around the e-mail georgeob1 received from the Obama Administration became something of a side track, but it's hard to imagine how anyone might complain getting off point in a thread containing almost 45,000 posts (not that you did of course).

At first georgeob1 was a bit coy about precisely what the e-mail was a blatant example of, but spendius was untiring in his press and georgeob1 finally relented. Normally I would assume that spendi's surprise and concern about the lengthy tedium in geoergeob1's occupation was a playful jab, but I no longer make assumptions about the motivation for his comments.

It's true that unless Al Gore is dropping f-bombs and pounding his shoe, Climate Change (c'mon High Seas...no one calls it Global Warming anymore Rolling Eyes ) doesn't seem to be as significant an issue for that quarter as it has been in the past. My theory is that there is increasing anxiety in that quarter relative to the growing Solyndra scandal, and bleating about alternative energy sources as a solution to the Cataclysmic Climate Change Consequences is handing conservatives a club with which to beat them on the head.

Besides, no time for the end of civiliztion as we know it, we have to pass the Jobs Bill right now!
spendius

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Normally I would assume that spendi's surprise and concern about the lengthy tedium in geoergeob1's occupation was a playful jab, but I no longer make assumptions about the motivation for his comments.

You would be better returning to normality Finn. What else is there to come on A2k for except bouts of playful jabbings? I get jabbed at more than most.
izzythepush

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:46 pm
@spendius,
I think your as much a jabber as a jabbee. I'm glad I don't get involved in such shenanigans.
ossobuco

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:54 pm
@spendius,
Alluding to the 49ers descriptively is too easy, Spendius. Find another team to taunt GeorgeOB with. (Dunno if he follows football, myself.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:57 pm
@izzythepush,
<Snorts!>

I guess snorting (not snoring) isn't becoming for me as a dame of some years: indeed, when I first saw that word used as a descriptive for a reaction online, I thought it was strange myself. Alas, I've found it useful; I like it better than haha.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 02:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It's true that unless Al Gore is dropping f-bombs and pounding his shoe, Climate Change (c'mon High Seas...no one calls it Global Warming anymore Rolling Eyes ) doesn't seem to be as significant an issue for that quarter as it has been in the past. My theory is that there is increasing anxiety in that quarter relative to the growing Solyndra scandal, and bleating about alternative energy sources as a solution to the Cataclysmic Climate Change Consequences is handing conservatives a club with which to beat them on the head.

What does all this mean?? What is the implied reference to Al Gore "dropping f bombs and pounding his shoe"?? What quarter is "that quarter" You appear to be mixing metaphors and very confused.

The euphamism "climate change" was created precisely to evade the implications of some very foolish assertions made and some very bad behavior on the part of some global warming zealots. Why should anyone go out of their way to adopt such a tortured euphamism merely to relieve these folks of the memory of their hypocritical behavior?

That said, I thought the bit about passing the jobs bill "Right Now" was cute.
High Seas

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Solyndra pales into insignificance compared with that other Obama-supporting fraudster, LightSquared:
Quote:
.....the White House pressured an Air Force general to revise testimony before a closed congressional hearing to aid LightSquared, a wireless start-up company. Emails between the company and the White House make mention of the fact that the company's CEO would be attending Democratic fundraisers in Washington, and administration officials met with executives from the company on the same day that CEO Sanjiv Ahuja wrote a $30,400 check to the Democratic National Committee. The company is facing a tough regulatory road after initial tests showed LightSquared's technology had been found to interfere with military and aviation GPS.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 03:29 pm
@High Seas,
Probably true but LightSquared is a communications play, not green energy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 24 Sep, 2011 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
You may have missed this line in High Seas post:

Quote:
Since this is the Obama 08 thread (nobody here thinks it will be updated?!) we haven't heard too much about global warming from that quarter, recently.