cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Jun, 2011 10:50 am
@MontereyJack,
That's too deep for waterboy to comprehend.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 3 Jun, 2011 11:11 am
@MontereyJack,
Have someone read this to you slowly so it has a chance to sink in

Obama has not rescued anything, and he's having a tough time rescuing himself

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 3 Jun, 2011 11:48 am
repeating something stupid doesn't make it any more true the second third or fourth time, H2.
Below viewing threshold (view)
mysteryman

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 08:58 am
Does anyone want to take a guess on how the admin is going to defend this?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/06/obama-solicitor-general-if-you-dont-mandate-earn-less-money

Quote:
President Obama's solicitor general, defending the national health care law on Wednesday, told a federal appeals court that Americans who didn't like the individual mandate could always avoid it by choosing to earn less money.

So how can this admin claim to be trying to help when their own solicitor general admits that the govt will punish you for succeeding and will reward you for failing.

Telling people to choose to earn less money seems to be telling them exactly that.
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 09:28 am
@mysteryman,
One of many problems with Obamacare; it needs an overhaul to correct them, and it can be done over time. An overhaul is better than repeal; this country is justified in having a universal health care in place.
H2O MAN

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 02:27 pm
Repealing Obamacare in it's entirety would be the very best thing for the country.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 04:33 pm
Good evening. The jobs numbers out Friday were distressing to read and pundits note that they could be troublesome for Obama's re-election effort.
I did some comparisons today that I found interesting with regard to the unemployment numbers.
Ready?
I looked at states that I consider as toss-ups in 2012.
(a) is the the number of electoral votes each state has in 2012;
(b) is the % of the popular vote Obama got in 2008;
(c) is the unemployment rate in the state in April, 2011.

Florida: (a) = 29; (b) = 51%; (c) = 11%
Ohio: (a) = 18; (b) = 51%; (c) = 9%
Virginia: (a) = 13; (b) = 53%; (c) = 6%
North Carolina: (a) = 15; (b) = 50%; (c) = 10%
Iowa: (a) = 6; (b) = 54%; (c) = 6%

Nevada: (a) = 6; (b) = 55%; (c) = 13%
Colorado: (a) = 9; (b) = 54%; (c) = 9%
Indiana: (a) = 11; (b) = 50%; (c) = 8%
New Hampshire: (a) = 4; (b) = 54%; (c) = 5%
roger

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If it needs an overhaul this soon after passage, maybe it shouldn't have passed.
ossobuco

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 04:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
I mention tangentially that the complex pain of people being out of work includes many more than on official rolls - as all of you posting here know; rarely in my life could I file for unemployment. The many state university years, no. The many years I was self employed as an independent contractor or business owner, no. On the other end, many take whatever jobs they can get to keep going, and some portion of those are not official papered employment. I look at numbers like 9% and just blink and cough.
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 04:53 pm
@roger,
There are too many problems with the way Obamacare was implemented; they didn't streamline efficiency to save cost, and the funding for it was sloppy. They created a boondoggle, but a repeal of Obamacare will essentially destroy any hope for universal health care in this country. The GOP is now out to destroy social security and Medicare; all the safety nets for Americans will be destroyed by the GOP if they are left to their destructive behavior - with the blessing of many voters.

We waste billions on wars that are half-way around the world from us, and against countries that pose no treat to our security. All while our infrastructure continues to deteriorate, our schools underfunded, and Americans go hungry.

We elect our government representatives who have no idea what is needed in this country; charity belongs first at home.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 05:21 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If it needs an overhaul this soon after passage, maybe it shouldn't have passed.

Precisely!

If Obamacare remains in place our infrastructure will continue to deteriorate,
our schools will be de-funded, and Americans will go hungry.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I would certainly agree with that, Osso. I am a small-e economist. I can babble on about U-3 vs U-6 and CPI-W vs CPI-U. But I would also argue that the events of the past few years have fundamentally changed and shaken many fundamental beliefs: owning a home is a good investment; owning a home in the suburbs is the American dream; a college degree - even if bought with large student loans - will pay off in the long run.
And along the way, many of us who did not have parents who grew up in the Depression, started believing that a credit card with 25% interest was quite okay and a 4,000 sq ft house and two or three cars was okay.
ossobuco

Sat 4 Jun, 2011 05:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
No argument from me there.

The boyfriend of my first gallery partner (the boyfriend whose bag of pot was eaten by my dog Sandpaw, so don't get me started, and besides, I thought he was a sleaze) was very keen on real estate; very keen on leveraging, a word I'd not heard before (this was mid seventies), and very keen on Never Sell Property in California. I already liked architecture back then (did as even a kid) but was clueless re the business of it. Heh, still am. I still think he was right on the last one, at least in some districts.

I sold because I had to, and in each case prices escalated. I saw the house next door in Venice lose a huge amount of value (I think it was the early nineties) and then catapult back up and beyond. Still, I'm glad I didn't fall for a mcmansion in the burbs. (I wouldn't have, I don't like that kind of tract design, at all, at all.) The desolate burbs are a crying shame - not that all of them are desolate. And Detroit is still a kind of martyr to our joint pathology.
H2O MAN

Sun 5 Jun, 2011 07:20 am
@ossobuco,

When Obama said "We are 5 days from fundamentally transforming America" today's Detroit is the prime example of the kind
of transformation Obama has in mind for this country. The playing field has been leveled... Detroit city is Obama's eutopia.
Gargamel

Sun 5 Jun, 2011 09:06 pm
@H2O MAN,
It's spelled u-t-o-p-i-a, hick.
Region Philbis

Mon 6 Jun, 2011 03:30 am
@Gargamel,

he claims to spell words wrong on purpose to get a rise out of people...

how lame is that?
H2O MAN

Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:03 am

What ObamaNonsense can we expect to go down this week?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:11 am
@Gargamel,
You continue to drink the Kool-Aid
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:31 am

Obama's Stimulus was a Fraud

By Neal Boortz

Some folks in ObamaLand are talking about a new stimulus bill. Read on:

Obama’s first stimulus plan cost around $800 billion and change. You are hard pressed to find an economist who will tell you that this $800 billion played any meaningful role in an economic recovery. Remember Dear Ruler telling us that if we didn’t have the stimulus bill unemployment would remain above 9%. Were you paying attention on Friday? Unemployment is still above 9%.

Let me tell you how this stimulus plan was developed. It’s just this simple: Obama comes into office with a mandate to do something to bring us out of the recession and to get people working again. There was a problem though. Obama had no clue what to do. He had no experience he could draw upon to develop a recovery plan. He did have a mindset though, and that mindset was that government is good and the private sector is bad, so whatever was to be done had to strengthen government and involve the private sector only to the degree absolutely necessary. So Obama went to Nancy Pelosi and simply told her to get the Democrat caucus together and instruct them to dust off any and all spending plans they’ve been proposing or considering over the past few years and put them into a giant spending bill. Keep it under one trillion dollars, and we’ll present it to the people as a stimulus bill. Whether or not it really contributes to an economic recovery will be beside the point. The plan will give Democrat members of congress the ability to go to the voters in their home districts with “Look at the money I brought back to our district” newsletters and speeches.
0 Replies