plainoldme

Fri 13 May, 2011 08:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Jon Stewart did a bit on Common -- who I freely admit I had never heard of -- that was telling, including a piece of foxnews.com praising him.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:02 am
If the release of President Obama's birth certificate last month was the denouement of the birther saga, the release of Terrence Lakin from prison will be its bizarre coda.

Lakin is the veteran Army doctor who refused orders to redeploy to Afghanistan because he believed Obama was born abroad, not a legitimate president, and therefore that military orders were invalid.

Last December, Lakin, a lieutenant colonel, was dismissed from the Army and sentenced to six months in prison after, in the words of his supporters, inviting "his own court martial with the hopes that the normal processes of legal discovery would provide some answers." (The plan didn't work.) Supporters kept up with Lakin through a series of "prison diaries" that he mailed out to be posted online.

In what promises to be one of the stranger political spectacles of the year, a homecoming event is planned Saturday at the Southwest Airlines baggage claim area of Baltimore Washington International Airport. The website set up to support Lakin advises potential attendees that "there are no less than about 20 hotels within a mile or so of the airport" and suggests:

All we ask you to do is bring a home-made poster that says, "Welcome Home Terry." or "Thank You Terry" or any appropriate messages about the issue. Bring a small US flag if you have one.

We will text the coordinators when we deplane so you can all get ready to greet Terry as he descends on the escalator to baggage claim. We need a big hurray and lots of applause (of course). He may say a few words. Then we'll get him to his luggage, to his car, and home.

Unlike the folks over at WorldNetDaily, who have been enriched by years of pumping up birtherism, Lakin's commitment to the conspiracy both torpedoed his career and put his family in financial peril. His website notes:

"Please consider making a special gift at this critical time. We have been able to provide for the family's monthly expenses, but contributions have dropped off since the release of the proposed birth document by the Obama administration."

Can anyone imagine a more tragic story emerging from the birther carnival?

-- Justin Elliott is a Salon reporter.
JTT

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:08 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Lakin is the veteran Army doctor who refused orders to redeploy to Afghanistan because he believed Obama was born abroad, not a legitimate president, and therefore that military orders were invalid.

The military orders were illegal so in that sense I guess you could consider them invalid.

But you say that this was a doctor? I thought that doctors, unlike, say, Okie, h2oman, ..., had to have functioning brains.
H2O MAN

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:18 am
@JTT,
If only JTT had a functioning brain, he would then have twice the brain power POM has.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:18 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

So, tell me cyclops, as I look at the Fox News website, is the Mississippi River not rising as Fox reports?

This is asinine. The studies linked talk about political and economic events for which Fox presents a false narrative and their viewers are consistently wrong. Only a fool would think that was the same argument as what you are making here.

Cycloptichorn
plainoldme

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:21 am
@JTT,
I didn't say that: the piece is from Salon. Notice the name of the writer at the bottom.

I tuned back in here after allwet paraphrased your statement. His lack of originality is his most striking characteristic.
plainoldme

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
okie is a master of fallacy. Another version of the straw man. Aren't you hungry for a valid argument, honest history and facts from the wingnuts?
0 Replies

snood

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:25 am
Actually it's heartening for me to see McWhorter write a piece like that - that gives a balanced and reasonable view of the relative importance of the Obama's choices of people to invite to read their poetry. And I am relieved that he gets the width of the disconnect between the kneejerk rightwing and things that are actually part of modern culture.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:27 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Actually it's heartening for me to see McWhorter write a piece like that - that gives a balanced and reasonable view of the relative importance of the Obama's choices of people to invite to read their poetry. And I am relieved that he gets the width of the disconnect between the kneejerk rightwing and things that are actually part of modern culture.

I have to say that the race-baiting involved in this Common issue is rather more naked than usual for their side; and it's disgusting to watch.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:28 am
@plainoldme,
I know that your name appeared at the top left, Pom, but I was using the general 'you'.

h2oman popped up here looking for a dry Depends.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:

So, tell me cyclops, as I look at the Fox News website, is the Mississippi River not rising as Fox reports?

This is asinine. The studies linked talk about political and economic events for which Fox presents a false narrative and their viewers are consistently wrong. Only a fool would think that was the same argument as what you are making here.

Cycloptichorn

Dang, Cyclops. You must have a seriously deep belief in the potential for clods like okie to gain their senses, to keep trying to explain shyt to them. I mean, an idiot or a crazyman would think that reports on rising floodwaters are somehow comparable to partisan news/opinion hybrid stories, but no one else does.
snood

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

snood wrote:

I have to say that the race-baiting involved in this Common issue is rather more naked than usual for their side; and it's disgusting to watch.

Cycloptichorn

I think the ferocity with which hannity and his ilk jumped at this speaks to their desperation right now. they don't have a sound policy leg to stand on, so they have to keep chumming this glop to their mouthbreather base.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:33 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Dang, Cyclops. You must have a seriously deep belief in the potential for clods like okie to gain their senses, to keep trying to explain shyt to them. I mean, an idiot or a crazyman would think that reports on rising floodwaters are somehow comparable to partisan news/opinion hybrid stories, but no one else does.

Yah - it's not just for him, it's for everyone else who reads the thread. There are probably 5-10 people who read every post, for every person who comments. The goal is not only to point out false narratives to the Republicans themselves, it's to show that reader that these people consistently and regularly present false narratives, ones which are easily disproven with only a little work.

Discrediting right-wing narratives using simple facts and logic is a fun part-time job, and it's important to push back against their bullshit.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:34 am
LOL Laughing That's a lame attempt to deflect responsibility.

It's the liberal left and Obama that have to keep chumming this race baiting glop to their mouth breather base.
The collective left is floundering.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:36 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

snood wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I think the ferocity with which hannity and his ilk jumped at this speaks to their desperation right now. they don't have a sound policy leg to stand on, so they have to keep chumming this glop to their mouthbreather base.

No policy, and what more, their candidates for 2012 suck and they know it. This is really driving them to despair, because without replacing Obama in '12, they'll have zero chance of overturning anything that he's done - and that he'll get credit for the eventual recovery and for ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Not only that, it would seal his legacy as a two-term prez, and he's so young, he'll be a super-effective voice for the Dems for decades to come. That's extremely damaging to them, especially as they have no modern prez that can act in the same role.

They'll pull out all the stops to defeat him. I expect some fake bullshit to pop up about him having a kid out of wedlock with a white woman any day now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 13 May, 2011 09:39 am
@H2O MAN,
Pretty original thoughts, h2man. Do you understand the meaning of 'plagiarism'?

I guess that this time you think it was your source material that wowed everyone.

Have you located your box of Depends yet? You're really making a mess all over.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 13 May, 2011 10:28 am
I-90 To Be Closed

COAL TRANSPORT

I-90 will be closed tomorrow across South Dakota.

They are hauling a 200 ton lump of coal so they can add Obama to Mount
Rushmore...

They couldn't find a 200 ton piece of ****!
JTT

Fri 13 May, 2011 10:34 am
@H2O MAN,
There is nothing, absolutely nothing that anyone could do to defile that piece of rock anymore than what has already been done.
Renaldo Dubois

Fri 13 May, 2011 10:35 am
Medic, medic, we have a man down over here.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4693168/american-medical-association-deals-setback-to-obamacare/
parados

Fri 13 May, 2011 10:39 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Yeah.. Fox can't get it's fact correct again.

The American Medical Group Association is NOT the American Medical Association.
0 Replies