mysteryman

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 01:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You couldnt have watched the video AND looked at the graph I linked to in one minute, but I will try to explain.

Nancy Pelosi blamed Bush and Cheney for the rise in gas prices, saying that it was the fault of the "2 oil men" in the WH.
Now, prices have almost tripled since Obama became POTUS.
So, using her logic, the fault lies with the "2 oil men" in the WH.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 01:57 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

You couldnt have watched the video AND looked at the graph I linked to in one minute, but I will try to explain.

You're right, I didn't give a **** about the video. Just read the blog.

The link to the graph didn't work.

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi blamed Bush and Cheney for the rise in gas prices, saying that it was the fault of the "2 oil men" in the WH.
Now, prices have almost tripled since Obama became POTUS.
So, using her logic, the fault lies with the "2 oil men" in the WH.

Actually, that's terribly incorrect. And has nothing to do with logic at all. When you say 'using her logic,' you aren't describing her logic, but instead what she said. That's not the same thing.

I'll give you an example:

Let's say a house burns down. When asked 'why did the house burn down,' you say 'well, the owners left a candle burning, and it started a fire.'

Next week a different house burns down. When asked, I say 'Well, by MM's logic, the owners must have left a candle burning and it started a fire.'

Never mind the fact that this isn't the case, by YOUR logic, your pronouncement of causation in one case leads to you pronouncing that to be the cause of all similar cases. Which I think you can agree isn't true at all.

I see what you are getting at here, of course; but your point is failing. If you want to show that Pelosi is a hypocrite, you'll have to do somewhat better than this.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 02:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Many people do not understand the fundamentals of economics, and end up with opinions that are off the mark and ridiculous. Always blaming US presidents for any one problem is just plain dumb.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 02:24 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
We know that you don't care... you're a pathetic liberal
0 Replies

plainoldme

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There's nothing ironic or hypocritical about H2O using homo insults.

Well, there is nothing nice, nor adult, either.

However, I think you should have thought twice prior to posting the above: consider the subtext.
plainoldme

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, you forbade me to return the ball to the other side of the net after I had ignored dozens.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Thou protests too much

No, you understand too little.
plainoldme

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:59 pm
@mysteryman,
That would only work if Obama and Biden were oil men, but, they are not. As the statement stands, it is silly.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:00 pm
@plainoldme,
Of course there isn't, but he, unlike you, has never professed to be a friend and champion of Gays.

Are you so slow witted that you can't appreciate irony?

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:02 pm
@plainoldme,
What the hell are you talking about?
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Are you so slow witted that you can't appreciate irony?

You're suggesting that h2oman, a guy with a pea brain, [that's being generous] is doing irony. I appreciate the irony, Finn.
H2O MAN

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:28 am
@JTT,
will someone please hold JTT's hand and explain things, the little twerp is lost.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 02:27 pm
CONFIRMED SOCIAL SECURITY FACTS
Quote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6196104_calculate-fica-deductions.html
According to the U.S. Code Title 26.3101, any wages earned after 1990 are taxed 6.2 percent for Social Security every pay period {and employer pays another 6.2%}. For self-employed individuals, this rate is a much higher at 12.4 percent.

The standard medicare deduction for wages earned after 1990 is 1.45 percent. Once again, self-employed individuals pay more by having 2.9 percent paid for Medicare.

Add the Social Security total to the medicare total and you come up with your total FICA deduction, which is a 7.65 percent deduction from every paycheck or 15.3 percent for the self-employed.

parados

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 02:29 pm
@ican711nm,
Social Security is NOT just retirement ican. You seem confused about facts.
Social Security includes disability insurance. The retirement portion of SS only makes up 10.6%.
ican711nm

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:09 pm
AN ALTERNATE EXAMPLE SOCIAL SECURITY CASE

Assume annual salary is increased 6.824169% per year over 44 years from $4,000 to $64,000 per year.

Total annual Social Security annual salary deductions at 12.4% over 44 years = $106,937.87.

If Social Security pays retired employee $19,608 per year, then that $106,937.87 of total deductions will last 5.45 years.

However, if those total Social Security deductions are accumulated at about 3.374835% annually for 44 years, those total deductions will appreciate to $195,178.06, and then if they appreciate at 3% for the next 12 years, they will produce $19,608 annually for 12 years.

Furthermore, if those total Social Security deductions are accumulated at about 3.3995315% annually for 44 years, those total deductions will appreciate to $421,321.52, and then if they appreciate at 3% for the nexr 35 years, they will produce $19,608 annually for 35 years.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:16 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Social Security is NOT just retirement ican. You seem confused about facts.
Social Security includes disability insurance. The retirement portion of SS only makes up 10.6%.

Parados, prove this quote is false!
Quote:

According to the U.S. Code Title 26.3101, any wages earned after 1990 are taxed 6.2 percent for Social Security every pay period. For self-employed individuals, this rate is a much higher at 12.4 percent.

The standard medicare deduction for wages earned after 1990 is 1.45 percent. Once again, self-employed individuals pay more by having 2.9 percent paid for Medicare.

Add the Social Security total to the medicare total and you come up with your total FICA deduction, which is a 7.65 percent deduction from every paycheck or 15.3 percent for the self-employed.

Self-employed individuals pay a lot more tax than employees because when a person works for someone else, their employer actually pays half their FICA taxes.

parados

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:47 pm
@ican711nm,

This has been posted before

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/ProgData/oasdiRates.html

The SSA is who administers SS and keeps the trust funds.
OASI is "old age survivors"
DI is disability

2000 and later
Paid by employer and employee for OASI - 5.300

Paid by employer and employee for DI - 0.900

That works out to 10.6% total for retirement and survivors insurance Which means that benefits for underage children are included in the 10.6%.

Now.. prove you have brain.
ican711nm

Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:34 am
@parados,
Parados, you believe this source:
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/ProgData/oasdiRates.html

I believe this source:
Quote:

According to the U.S. Code Title 26.3101, any wages earned after 1990 are taxed 6.2 percent for Social Security every pay period {and employer pays another 6.2%}. For self-employed individuals, this rate is a much higher at 12.4 percent.

Self-employed individuals pay a lot more tax than employees because when a person works for someone else, their employer actually pays half their FICA taxes.

Prove your source says what you say it says and prove it is correct AND relevant to what we have been discussing.!
Cycloptichorn

Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:38 am
@ican711nm,
One is from the government official site, the other is something some idiot wrote on the net.

Your 'source' doesn't point out that part of the 12.4 percent does indeed go towards disability insurance. But it does. This is a fact - it's not a question to be debated, even.

This is making you look pretty foolish, you ought to just admit that Pardos was right, adjust your numbers and re-calculate.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
ican has never learned how to use charts with numbers. He has a knack to misinterpret them about 100% of the time.
0 Replies