plainoldme

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:00 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I hope you are sharp enough to know why and what the difference is.

I hope that you are sufficiently aware to know which seat you are to sit in when driving.
0 Replies

okie

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:
The notion of "civil union" would probably have been a wiser path to follow, under which partners of the same gender could enjoy the same rights (as Thomas noted above) as the rest of us.
Well, that kind of was the rationale behind separate-but-equal facilities for Blacks, and look what good that did for them. Given America's history, I side with gays who won't settle for separate-but-equal legal unions.
I doubt seriously that blacks view their God given rights as human beings comparable to the twisted claims by the gay lobby that homosexual behavior is the same as marriage between a man and a woman.
plainoldme

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:10 pm
Marriage is now and always has been about property rights.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:11 pm
@okie,
okie, did you know there are gay people in the republican party now?
cicerone imposter

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:17 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, they were welcomed with "open arms." LOL
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:04 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I doubt seriously that blacks view their God given rights as human beings comparable to the twisted claims by the gay lobby that homosexual behavior is the same as marriage between a man and a woman.

You'd think that a guy who steps in so much **** would be more careful about sticking his foot in his mouth.
plainoldme

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:10 pm
@JTT,
okie seems to imply that there are no gay Black people.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:10 pm
http://www.theonion.com/articles/republicans-vote-to-repeal-obamabacked-bill-that-w,19025/
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 05:32 am
If "marriage" is recognised to mean something more than between one man and one woman what is the objection, in principle, to polygamy being recognised officially? Polygamy is recognised officially in many countries with which we have extensive relations in trade and military matters.

Considerations of tax and welfare are not related to principles.
parados

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 08:25 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

If "marriage" is recognised to mean something more than between one man and one woman what is the objection, in principle, to polygamy being recognised officially?

Because Spendi..

It's only 2 divided by love...

revelette

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:25 am
I am glad the administration said they would no longer defend the ban on homosexual marriages, but I wonder what brought it on?
spendius

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:37 am
@parados,
A man can love two women para. One for being an expert cook who knows how to satisfy one of his appetites and the other for being a really cute chick with nice tits who satisfies another. They say that Nigella Lawson is both in one. Which I doubt. Her food looks ghastly. But if she is she's a prodigy and there are not many of them dropping their clipboard next to your desk.

Living with the chick and dining out of tins and microwaved ready-mades has its ups and downs although I will admit that living with the other is easy if you leave the lights off.

So monogamy is an attack on men's rights. And on evolution, which has never heard of monogamy and might well have foundered long ago if it had. The losers, according to Darwin, are not fit to breed anyway. That's right isn't it? Or have I got my science wrong?

The disadvantage is, obviously, having to do what you're told by two women who both have you in an appetite addiction lock.

Do you think that women needed persuading to be the wife in sole possession of a potato picker rather than be the fifth wife of the lord's eldest son and living at the court? In the days when our traditions were gradually being formed, if the lord's son could only have one wife then there's four have to wed potato pickers. So you can see that there would be fierce competition.

I'm not sure there's a simple answer. But once the word "marriage" starts getting frayed at the edges there's no telling whether it will not fray some more. As it stands, in the sensible states, the large majority it must be remembered, it has a definite and unambiguous meaning and once fraying sets in it might, the word I mean, take on the apect of a Maltese lace doily that the bulldog chews for entertainment and/or to floss its teeth.

The neighbours can probably get used to two blokes living together in their street but I don't know if they could if it was a bloke with three, self-evidently contented wives. If wives 2 and 3 demand their rights to be "married" to the guy along with wife 1, who is equally enthusiastic, what is there to say that hasn't been said on behalf of same sex monogamy?

Once individual rights have priority over the meaning of words like "marriage", it seems to me we are on the less steep section of a slippery slope.

Has that argument been put to Mr Obama?
H2O MAN

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:38 am
@revelette,
What brought it on?

The regime is attempting to distract the dumbmasses away from more important issues like national security, the economy, the price of gas, hidden taxes etc...
spendius

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:01 am
@H2O MAN,
Business as usual eh? Nothing like tangential and suggestive stories about controversial styles in rumpy-pumpy for a job like that MAN.
H2O MAN

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:07 am
@spendius,
The dumbmasses are easily lead down the wrong path.
Rockhead

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:08 am
@H2O MAN,
it's led, genius...
Cycloptichorn

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:11 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

it's led, genius...

There's no sport in that. Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:35 am
@Rockhead,
not if the liberal progressive democrat path leads to lead poisoning, dickhead...
Rockhead

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:37 am
@H2O MAN,
please keep advocating for less spending on education.

you are our best weapon...
ican711nm

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 10:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/
Iraq Body Count
Documented civilian deaths from violence
99,712 – 108,866
2003 - 2011