kickycan

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
POLLS DON'T MEAN DICK.

The one thing left out of all these polls is that THERE IS NO ONE OUT THERE WITH A BETTER SOLUTION.

If we didn't have Obama we'd have a bunch of asshole Republicans running the country and doing what they've been doing for the past 30 years--taking from the poor and giving it to the rich. At least with Obama the poor are getting some table scraps.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Didn't Markos use them for around 18 months, though? I wonder why he didn't question the results sooner, or why he kept them around so long.

Three reasons:

1, for a long time nobody suspected anything was wrong with them, because they were more in line with other pollsters.

2, They did have a respectable record and some pretty accurate results in election polling in the past, so they weren't 'automatically' suspect or anything.

3, most importantly, like our friend Okie above, they were telling him what he wanted to hear. Always a dangerous thing.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

3, .....they were telling him what he wanted to hear. Always a dangerous thing.

Markos is now saying it was "likely bunk" lol. I guess I just don't know why the raw data is so important to him now (except I know it's necessary for the lawsuit he says he'll be filing), and it didn't appear to be important to him at the time.

That said, he once called PoliPoint Press scum and said it was "run by a den of thieves". That was back in 2006 or 2007. Today, they're publishing his new book lol.

Cycloptichorn

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:52 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

3, .....they were telling him what he wanted to hear. Always a dangerous thing.

Markos is now saying it was "likely bunk" lol. I guess I just don't know why the raw data is so important to him now (except I know it's necessary for the lawsuit he says he'll be filing), and it didn't appear to be important to him at the time.

He already had the raw data. The problem is that, if you aren't a statistician, it's very difficult to see what is made up and what isn't. I mean, I don't know how I would go about doing it. But professionals saw the errors and they looked into it and here they are.

Quote:
That said, he once called PoliPoint Press scum and said it was "run by a den of thieves". That was back in 2006 or 2007. Today, they're publishing his new book lol.

Don't know anything about that. But it doesn't sound unusual - for politics. Laughing

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Don't know anything about that. But it doesn't sound unusual - for politics. Laughing

I agree. It could, however, be partly responsible for this.

(Take a look at the last entry on the page)
Cycloptichorn

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:08 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I agree. It could, however, be partly responsible for this.

(Take a look at the last entry on the page)

Oh, well if the cool kids at Time dissed them, they obviously suck Rolling Eyes

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Maybe that's a result of an R2K poll lol.
0 Replies

okie

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:55 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
If we didn't have Obama we'd have a bunch of asshole Republicans running the country and doing what they've been doing for the past 30 years--taking from the poor and giving it to the rich. At least with Obama the poor are getting some table scraps.

Example, folks, of a demagogue with his demagoguery on parade. He in fact sounds like Joseph Stalin or Pol Pot, or Castro or Hugo Chavez. After all, leftie radicals all sound the same. No wonder he is an Obama follower. Either kicky is a rich guy with a guilt complex or a lazy do nothing that wants what everyone else has worked for. Which one is it, kickthecan?
okie

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Question, why would anyone, yes I said "anyone," even care what DailyKos does or says? The outfit is a radical bunch of wild eyed leftists, in other words leaning heavily to communist or Marxist.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:28 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Either kicky is a rich guy with a guilt complex or a lazy do nothing that wants what everyone else has worked for. Which one is it, kickthecan?

Hmm. Do we get to vote on this?
ican711nm

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Poll averages, like the one you linked to, are not biased in any way.

First, I linked to what you recommended I linked to.

Second, I asked:
ARE THESE BIASED? IF YOU THINK SO, WHAT IS THEIR BIAS?

Your answer obviously is: "[they] are not biased in any way."

Next quetion: WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN RASMUSSEN'S POLL RESULTS AND THE SOURCE'S RESULTS THAT YOU THINK ARE NOT BIASED IN ANY WAY?
0 Replies

okie

Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

okie wrote:
Either kicky is a rich guy with a guilt complex or a lazy do nothing that wants what everyone else has worked for. Which one is it, kickthecan?

Hmm. Do we get to vote on this?

Feel free to vote if you feel so inclined. By the way, I feel a little bad to have to lower the boom so severely upon kicky, but there are few things that get me so irritated as to hear somebody spew the leftist garbage about the rich Republicans taking from the poor in this country. Such demagoguery is so worn out and phony that it isn't even tolerable anymore. The fact is that the rich are paying far more than their fair share, in fact a much higher percentage of their income in taxes than the so-called poor. Thanks to the rich or this country would be much further in debt than we already are.

P.S. I am not a rich person, in fact I was born into fairly poor circumstances, and I have had to work for every last dime I've been able to make, and let me say this, this country is the greatest country on the face of the earth in terms of the opportunity it offers every last one of us to be able to work and pursue happiness. So kicky, I would suggest you quit your whinin, and that includes quit whinin about rich Republicans.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 01:16 pm
http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/healthplan.php

Support for HC reform now equal to opposition in averages of polling. And the trend is firmly for increased support.

I would note that this is working out exactly as I predicted, that the usefulness of running against HC Reform has plummeted. By this Fall, you won't see any serious Republican candidate running on repeal.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 01:27 pm
Quote:
Obama: Our first female president

By Kathleen Parker
Wednesday, June 30, 2010

If Bill Clinton was our first black president, as Toni Morrison once proclaimed, then Barack Obama may be our first woman president.

Phew. That was fun. Now, if you'll just keep those hatchets holstered and hear me out.

No, I'm not calling Obama a girlie president. But . . . he may be suffering a rhetorical-testosterone deficit when it comes to dealing with crises, with which he has been richly endowed.

It isn't that he isn't "cowboy" enough, as others have suggested. Aren't we done with that? It is that his approach is feminine in a normative sense. That is, we perceive and appraise him according to cultural expectations, and he's not exactly causing anxiety in Alpha-maledom.
I'm not so sure. The masculine-coded context of the Oval Office poses special challenges, further exacerbated by a crisis that demands decisive action. It would appear that Obama tests Campbell's argument that "nothing prevents" men from appropriating women's style without negative consequences.

Indeed, negative reaction to Obama's speech suggests the opposite. Obama may prove to be our first male president who pays a political price for acting too much like a woman.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/29/AR2010062903997_2.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2010062http://www.http://www.washingtonpost.com:80/ac2/wp-dyn?node=admin/registration/register&sub=AR

True, and any man who pointed thus out would be attacked. The common view is that the reason Obama is not more emotive is a life lesson he learned that looking like the angry black man will repel whites, but perhaps the real reason is that it will make him look more like a woman than he already does.
failures art

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 02:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
An interesting catch-22.
R
T
spendius

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 03:23 pm
@failures art,
I think a desire to be popular is basically a feminine characteristic. Spin is akin to make-up.
hawkeye10

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 03:30 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

I think a desire to be popular is basically a feminine characteristic. Spin is akin to make-up.

there you go, stirring the pot again...

Yes, masculines don't care much about being liked, we care about being true to ourselves and being powerful enough to get what we want. Being liked is sometimes useful, but is not a goal in and of itself.
0 Replies

failures art

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 03:54 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You're only making excuses for your unpopular status spendi. No need to try and co-opt the idea of masculinity to keep you comfortable.

A
R
The desire to be popular is a trait of politicians, then, now, and forever.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:03 pm
Quote:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/health_care_law
Health Care Law
52% Favor Repeal of Health Care Bill

Monday, June 28, 2010 ...
Most voters still favor repeal of the national health care bill, but support for repeal has fallen to its lowest level since the bill passed in March. Voters remain skeptical, however, about the impact of the plan on the deficit and on the quality and cost of health care.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 52% of voters favor repeal of the health care bill, while 40% are opposed.

A week ago, 55% favored repeal, and 40% opposed it. Voters with health insurance overwhelmingly like the coverage they have, but 44% of that group now think the health care bill is likely to make them change that coverage.

Rasmussen Reports has been tracking sentiments about repeal since the plan’s passage in March, and opposition to the legislation remains as strong since its adoption as it was beforehand. Prior to this survey, however, support for repeal since March has ranged from a low of 54% to a high of 63% in mid-May. Opposition has ranged from 32% to 42%.

The new findings include 42% who Strongly Favor repeal and 28% who are Strongly Opposed.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of all voters believe the health care plan will be good for America, while 49% say its impact on the country will be bad.

Since March, those who rate the plan’s impact as good have ranged from 35% to 41%. In the same time period, those who predict it will be bad for the country have fallen in the 49% to 55% range.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on June 25-26, 2010 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Fifty-nine percent (59%) of voters believe the plan will increase the federal deficit at a time when President Obama has just agreed with other world leaders to halve the deficit by 2013. Fourteen percent (14%) say the health plan will decrease the deficit, and 17% say it will have no impact.

Only 22% think the quality of health care will improve under the health plan, while 49% say quality will get worse. Twenty-three percent (23%) expect it to stay about the same.

Fifty-two percent (52%) say health care costs will go up under the new plan. Just 17% think costs will go down, while 22% say they will stay about the same.

Democrats continue to be cheerleaders for the health care plan, while Republicans remain its strongest opponents. Sixty-eight percent (68%) of those in the president’s party say the plan is good for the country. Eighty-one percent (81%) of Republicans and the plurality (49%) of voters not affiliated with either party disagree and see it as bad for America.

Eighty-one percent (81%) of GOP voters and 54% of unaffiliateds favor repeal of the plan. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of Democrats are opposed.

Political Class voters continue to be even bigger supporters of the health care measure. While 63% of Mainstream voters say the plan is bad for the country, 95% of the Political Class see it as good for the nation.

Two-out-of-three Mainstream voters (66%) favor repeal of the plan. Eighty-seven percent (87%) of the Political Class oppose repeal.

Supporters of the health care plan have often looked north to Canada’s nationalized system as a model for what they have in mind, but just 32% of voters nationwide say Canada has a better health care system than the United States. Rather than looking to Canada, 57% believe more competition and less government regulation would be better for the U.S. health care system.

The number who believe Canada has a better health care system is similar to the 34% who support a single-payer health care system in the United States where the federal government provides coverage for everyone.

realjohnboy

Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree that the health care legislation is probably fading away as a campaign issue. By November it will be minor in the minds of most voters, I suspect.
Kagan's confirmation will be over with. No candidate will touch Afghanistan, of course. Immigration could be an issue in some parts of the country.
And Lee Atwater will sit up from his grave and shout, once again, "It's the economy, stupid."
I thought, as a businessman and an amateur economist, that there were some signs of a bottoming in the past few months. But now I am not at all sure about that.