rabel22

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:47 pm
@Advocate,
Along with a large percentage of the democrates. Big money not only talks but controlls congress thanks to the S.C.
ican711nm

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:11 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
The left is absolutely convinced, which is why it is working so hard to reform the system. The right has no comprehensive plan, but, being in the pocket of the insurance industry, is working hard to kill any reform. As Cong. Anthony Weiner said, the GOP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the insurance industry.

Republican members of the House and Republican members of the Senate do have a comprehensive plan. They have posted it multiple times. I posted copies and excerpts in this thread more than once. Furthermore, if you had listened and understood Obama's last joint meeting in the Blair House with Democrat and Republican members of Congress, you would know Republicans do have a comprehensive plan.
Quote:

http://www.gop.gov/solutions/healthcare
Health Care
THE REPUBLICAN PLAN:
COMMON-SENSE HEALTH CARE REFORMS OUR NATION CAN AFFORD
Summary of House GOP Health Care Reform Bill (PDF)
Text of House GOP Health Care Reform Bill (PDF)
Ten Reasons to Support the GOP Health Care Reform Bill (PDF)
Side-by-Side Policy Comparison of Pelosi Health Care Bill & GOP Alternative (PDF)

Quote:

http://gopleader.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=152439
House GOP Leader John Boehner (R-OH) Delivers Weekly Republican Address
GOP Leader: “Only Republicans have offered solutions to lower health care costs and make it easier to obtain quality, affordable coverage without imposing a massive burden on the American people.”

Washington, Oct 30, 2009 - Delivering the weekly Republican address, House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH) outlined Republicans’ plan to make health care more accessible and affordable for American families at a price our nation can afford. The address highlights the differences between Republicans’ smart, fiscally responsible reforms and Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) 1,990-page government takeover of health care. More on Republicans’ common-sense health care solutions is available at http://healthcare.gop.gov. Audio of the address is available here; video of the address will be available here once the embargo is lifted. ...

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

Irishk wrote:

Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-AZ originally voted 'yes', but is leaning toward voting 'no' this time.

Well, Raul is unhappy about the disappearance of the "Public Option." Dude, the public option died a month or two or three ago. It ain't coming back.
It seems to me that, perhaps, the most contentious issue amongst Democrats may be about abortion.
I wont even try to lay out what is going on there. Perhaps one of yall can fill us in on that.Thank you.

11 of Stupak's list of 12 are Democrats. Sounds like bipartisan opposition to me.

Not so fast.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/obama-to-progressives-31-million-people--and-my-presidency--are-on-the-line-if-health-care-fails.php?ref=dcblt

Quote:
President Obama's message to progressives who are dissatisfied with the Senate health care bill is two fold: First: Don't forget about the uninsured. Second: Don't forget what failure to pass this bill would do to the party and my presidency.

In a meeting with House progressives today, Obama made the pitch.

Speaking to reporters in the Speaker's lobby off the House floor, Congressional Progressive Caucus Co-Chair Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) said the President reminded them that "If this opportunity passes, much of our agenda, on the progressive side...it would be difficult, if not impossible for a generation to get back to this issue."

I asked if the message was convincing to those in attendance.

"It's pretty compelling," Grijalva said.

That's a significant change from his tone earlier in the week, when Grijalva said he was inclined to vote against the bill from the left.

Obama reminded the assembled Democrats that doing nothing would be politically disastrous. "To maintain a strong presidency we need to pass this bill," the President said, according to Grijalva.

Progressives aren't without demands of their own. They are looking for all assurances that the Senate bill won't pass without a companion reconciliation bill amending it. Obama assured the members he sees the two bills as companions.

"We don't want to get trapped voting for the Senate bill as is without a full understanding that what he signs, and comes to his desk, are the two pieces of legislation, and the other part being the critical part being the reconciliation," Grijalva said.

Obama also apparently pledged to revisit the public option in the future.

Grijalva's account was echoed by Congressional Black Caucus chair Barbara Lee, who said the President reminded them: "31 million people will have health insurance as a result of this bill."

"Did the message resonate?" I asked.

"I think it resonates for a lot of people," Lee said.

They'll come around. There is no political win in not passing the bill.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:31 pm
@rabel22,
It is quite a comprehensive plan, which covers only an additional three million people, asks for insurance companies to take voluntary actions, sets up pools for those with pre-conditions that will require very high premiums, etc. The Rep plan is a joke.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@Advocate,
Not only that, it isn't supported by the Republican leadership in the House - they will not go on the record as supporting it, as the plan calls for Medicare cuts, something that they have suddenly decided they are against (after decades of calling for exactly that).

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
Advocate and Cycloptichorn, you both act like disciples of Barach Obama who acts like a disciple of Saul Alinsky.
Saul Alinsky wrote:
Radicals should be political relativists and should take an agnostic view of means and ends;
The radical is not a reformer of the system but its would-be destroyer;
The revolutionary’s purpose is to undermine the system by taking from the haves and giving it to the have-nots, and then see what happens;
The most basic principle for radicals is lie to opponents and disarm them by pretending to be moderates and liberals;
The radical organizer does not have a fixed truth"truth to him is relative and changing; everything to him is relative and changing;
The issue is always the revolution;
The stated cause is never the real cause, but only an occasion to advance the real cause which is accumulation of power to make the revolution;
The radical is building his own kingdom, a kingdom of heaven on earth.

Advocate

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:50 pm
@ican711nm,
Stop making those charges. You have neither proven that O is a disciple of Alinsky nor that the latter wrote that crap.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 05:27 pm
AND THEN THERE WERE 430...
Eric Messa (D-NY) abruptly resigned his seat in the House effective Monday. A staff member had accused him of "inappropriate sexual advances."
In an unusual display of candor from a politician, Mr Messa said in an interview...
"I am guilty."
His departure is probably good news for the Dem head-counters in the upcoming vote in the House on health care. There are still 216 votes needed for passage but Messa voted against the bill before. He represented a conservative part of NY and would probably have voted against it again.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:05 pm
Advocate acts like a disciple of Barach Obama who acts like a disciple of Saul Alinsky.
Saul Alinsky wrote:
The revolutionary’s purpose is to undermine the system by taking from the haves and giving it to the have-nots, and then see what happens;
Radicals should be political relativists and should take an agnostic view of means and ends;
The radical is not a reformer of the system but its would-be destroyer;
The most basic principle for radicals is lie to opponents and disarm them by pretending to be moderates and liberals;
The radical organizer does not have a fixed truth"truth to him is relative and changing; everything to him is relative and changing;
The issue is always the revolution;
The stated cause is never the real cause, but only an occasion to advance the real cause which is accumulation of power to make the revolution;
The radical is building his own kingdom, a kingdom of heaven on earth.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:05 pm
Quote:
President Obama's proposed budget would add more than $9.7 trillion to the national debt over the next decade, congressional budget analysts said Friday. Proposed tax cuts for the middle class account for nearly a third of that shortfall.

The 10-year outlook released by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office is somewhat gloomier than White House projections, which found that Obama's budget request would produce deficits that would add about $8.5 trillion to the national debt by 2020.

The CBO and the White House are in relative agreement about the short-term budget picture, with both predicting a deficit of about $1.5 trillion this year -- a post-World War II record at 10.3 percent of the overall economy -- and $1.3 trillion in 2011. But the CBO is considerably less optimistic about future years, predicting that deficits would never fall below 4 percent of the economy under Obama's policies and would begin to grow rapidly after 2015.

Deficits of that magnitude would force the Treasury to continue borrowing at prodigious rates, sending the national debt soaring to 90 percent of the economy by 2020, the CBO said. Interest payments on the debt would also skyrocket by $800 billion over the same period.

Obama's tax-cutting agenda is by far the biggest contributor to those budget gaps, the CBO said. As part of his campaign pledge to protect families making less than $250,000 a year from new taxes, the president is proposing to prevent the alternative minimum tax from expanding to ensnare millions of additional taxpayers. He also wants to make permanent a series of tax cuts enacted during the Bush administration, which are scheduled to expire at the end of this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/05/AR2010030502974.html?hpid=topnews

Would someone please remind me why I and a lot of other people got excited about Obama during the election? I forget.
rabel22

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Can you say Bush Jr.?
0 Replies

Advocate

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:35 am
The WP article evidently, and mistakenly, doesn't put much stock in the group looking at reducing the deficit accomplishing anything. Further, I find it hard to believe that O would allow Bush's tax cuts for the super-rich to become permanent.
maporsche

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:45 am
@Advocate,
What ideas do you have for deficit reduction advocate.
roger

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
@maporsche,
Oh, that's easy. Eliminate Medicare so everyone can have health care. Lots of money to be saved there.
0 Replies

Irishk

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
Kesha Rogers called for the impeachment of President Barack Obama as the centerpiece of her campaign for Congress, and on Tuesday she won the nomination of her party.

The Democratic Party.

More here...
roger

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 02:50 pm
@Irishk,
That is a very strange article.
Irishk

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 02:54 pm
@roger,
Indeed. Lyndon LaRouche??? LOL!
0 Replies

Advocate

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:26 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

What ideas do you have for deficit reduction advocate.

I guess Pay-Go is in place now, which will stop increases in deficits. Remember it under Clinton? I would let the Bush tax cuts expire, and further increase taxes on the wealthy. (Their fortunes have soared while those of the middle and lower classes have plummeted.) I would abolish Medicare Advantage, and lower reimbursements on many things. I would quickly get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, and otherwise cut military spending? Etc.

How would you cut the debt?

ican711nm

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:00 pm
In 2010 under the Bush tax bill, if you are married filing jointly and your taxable income is $67,900,
then your federal income taxes will be $9,350.

In 2011--if Obama doesn't change the personal income tax from the Clinton tax bill--if you are married filing jointly and your taxable income is $67,900,
then your federal income taxes will be $10,185.

Your 2011 income tax will be $835 more than your 2011 income tax bill.
ican711nm

Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:03 pm
@ican711nm,
In 2010 under the Bush tax bill, if you are married filing jointly and your taxable income is $16,700,
then your federal income taxes will be $1,670.

In 2011--if Obama doesn't change the personal income tax from the Clinton tax bill--if you are married filing jointly and your taxable income is $16,700,
then your federal income taxes will be $2,505.

Your 2011 income tax will be $835 more than your 2011 income tax bill.