okie

Thu 3 Sep, 2009 09:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote:
Quote:
Nothings worse than the president himself lying when he is claiming he is debunking lies.

That could be true, but you haven't shown what he said that is a lie. All you've done is make general accusations without showing the evidence of those lies. YOu never seem to provide support for any of your claims; just your imagination at work without an ounce of facts.

Some of it is obviously a lie, plain as day. For example he claims the government administering health care is not a case of the government taking it over or administering it , basically thats it in a nutshell, the man is a nut, his own statements are contradictory and obviously wrong. Anyone with half a brain knows he is not telling the truth. The thing about abortion, he is paying for abortions in other countries for crying out loud, thats one of the first things he did when he took office, and he wants us to believe he doesn't want the government to pay for them here? Come on. Some of us may be dumb but we aren't stupid. Also, the illegal immigrants, he claims they won't be covered under his plan, then quit quoting the 45 million uncovered then, because a large portion of those are illegals. He keeps telling us we can keep our plan if we like it, what he doesn't tell us is our plan will be controlled and dictated by the government more than ever, and may not even be available a year or two down the road given the actions planned. Everytime he opens his mouth, we get nonsense, inconsistencies, half truths, or total lies.
Diest TKO

Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:05 pm
@okie,
okie, my word man. Post proof of lies or just shut the **** up. Do you really think that saying something is obviously a lie is a valid argument? How do you expect to be taken seriously?

A) Be specific. Give us details.
B) Shut the **** up.

T
K
O
okie

Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:18 pm
@Diest TKO,
Not the only one, but the most obvious is when he says it is untrue that this is a government takeover of health care. It is a matter of semantics, kind of like the meaning of the word "is." I watched the video posted last page, and not only does he want the public option but he goes on to talk about the government forcing alot more rules and mandates on existing insurance coverages, so by offering the public option and by controlling everything the insurance companies do, I don't know what else it is besides a government takeover of the system.

I would love it if I owned a company and I could not only compete with all my competition, but I could also force their customers to support my company even when they don't buy anything from me, and I could also make all the rules for how all my competition operates. So if they buy my product, they pay me, and if they buy the product from my competition, they still pay me. How long do you think my competition would last, Diest? We are not a bunch of chumps out here.
Diest TKO

Thu 3 Sep, 2009 10:22 pm
@okie,
Ever hear of public defenders? You know the lawyers that are paid for by tax dollars and given as aide to people who can't afford a lawyer? That didn't seem to shut down the private law practice now did it?

You failed to provide any details or specifics okie. You only brought you again false assertions about HC reform and your opinion as fact.

T
K
O
DrewDad

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:26 am
@Diest TKO,
Kinda like public transportation and automobiles, too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:52 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Not the only one, but the most obvious is when he says it is untrue that this is a government takeover of health care. It is a matter of semantics, kind of like the meaning of the word "is."

Actually, it's not semantics at all. Obama isn't pushing a single-payer system. He's not calling for the nationalization of health care. That's what a 'take-over' would be.

Quote:

I watched the video posted last page, and not only does he want the public option but he goes on to talk about the government forcing alot more rules and mandates on existing insurance coverages, so by offering the public option and by controlling everything the insurance companies do, I don't know what else it is besides a government takeover of the system.

Those are called 'regulations.' We have them for many businesses, to ensure that they aren't screwing over the public. The new rules and mandates being put on insurers will help end the practice of these insurers screwing over hard-working people who paid their premiums and deserve to be taken care of.

Quote:
I would love it if I owned a company and I could not only compete with all my competition, but I could also force their customers to support my company even when they don't buy anything from me, and I could also make all the rules for how all my competition operates. So if they buy my product, they pay me, and if they buy the product from my competition, they still pay me. How long do you think my competition would last, Diest? We are not a bunch of chumps out here.

Oh, I don't know; you kinda sound like a bunch of chumps.

This is entirely reminiscent of the doomsday predictions that surrounded the creation of Medicare and Social Security; all sort of wild claims by the right-wing, which thankfully were ignored.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The bill I read is quite specific in that it says that no insurance company can raise rates OR reduce services for any reason after the govt plan goes into effect.
It also says that they cannot refuse coverage at all.

That sure seems like the govt is trying to slowly force them out of business.

Quote:
This is entirely reminiscent of the doomsday predictions that surrounded the creation of Medicare and Social Security; all sort of wild claims by the right-wing, which thankfully were ignored.

Were you there when those systems came into being, or were you there when the debates raged?
If you were, then you should be able to show what those "doomsday predictions" were and who actually made them.
Of course, you should also be able to show how both programs have stayed within the original projected costs.
dyslexia

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:57 am
@mysteryman,
interesting, can you give us a link for that info? I'd like to read it.
mysteryman

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:12 am
@dyslexia,
http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_111/20090714/aahca.pdf

Its HR 3200
Cycloptichorn

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:39 am
@mysteryman,

It's a thousand-page bill; you should be able to tell us what sections, specifically, you are getting this info from. Any of us could have looked the bill up ourselves..

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
With pleasure, but you can do a little research on your own.

Lets start with Section 101, which is on page 14 of the bill.
It says quite clearly that a health benefits plan wont qualify unless it meets certain arbitrary govt definitions.
That means that the govt can say that ANY plan other then their own plan doesnt qualify.

Then read Section 102 (a) 1
That says that a health insurer cannot enroll anyone if the first effective day of coverage is AFTER Y1 (Y1 is the day the govt plan goes into effect)

It also says that the insurer cannot change anything after Y1.

This bill (HR3200) has so many flaws in it that I dont see how anyone can support it.
It should be thrown out totally and rewritten.

(BTW, I would copy and paste the relevant parts, but I am not sure how to do it from a pdf file.)
DontTreadOnMe

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:54 am
@okie,
omg!! a video urging kids to smile. to meet their neighbors. to get involved in their future.

how awful.

and from hollywood.... just like ronald reagan.... eeewwwwwww.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote:
Quote:
Nothings worse than the president himself lying when he is claiming he is debunking lies.

Quote:
November 29, 2005:

Bush : The United States of America does not torture. And that's important for people around the world to understand.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:05 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

With pleasure, but you can do a little research on your own.

Lets start with Section 101, which is on page 14 of the bill.
It says quite clearly that a health benefits plan wont qualify unless it meets certain arbitrary govt definitions.
That means that the govt can say that ANY plan other then their own plan doesnt qualify.

Thanks for the better cites, I appreciate it. It helps when we can both discuss the same thing.

I don't think that the definitions are 'arbitrary.' They are the entire purpose of the reform bill, which is to say, the government isn't going to allow plans which screw over the users any longer.

Quote:

Then read Section 102 (a) 1
That says that a health insurer cannot enroll anyone if the first effective day of coverage is AFTER Y1 (Y1 is the day the govt plan goes into effect)

It also says that the insurer cannot change anything after Y1.

Section 102 (a)1 is about grandfathered health care plans. See the title:

Quote:
SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT
2 COVERAGE.

This means the current, and in many cases crappy, health care plans can't be pushed beyond the effective date the government requires new plans to include the parameters the bill sets out. And you can't change a grandfathered plan in any way, or it no longer counts as an 'old plan.' This is pretty straight-forward, nothing confusing or wrong about this at all.

Quote:
This bill (HR3200) has so many flaws in it that I dont see how anyone can support it.
It should be thrown out totally and rewritten.

Obviously I disagree, and the examples you've given are in no way evidence that this is true.

Quote:
(BTW, I would copy and paste the relevant parts, but I am not sure how to do it from a pdf file.)

If you hit the little button which says 'select' (it's got a little hand next to it), you can copy and paste text.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
If you hit the little button which says 'select' (it's got a little hand next to it), you can copy and paste text.

Cycloptichorn

thanx
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think you are missing the point here. The rules that you say will merely enable the government to prevent insurance companies from "screwing over" their clients will also enable the government to control all (or any aspect ) of the market that it chooses. This will instantly kill any innovation that doesn't arise out of the government brueaucracy that itself writes the definitions and the rules. The track record for such institutions suggests that incompetence and political corruption - and not reform or efficiency - will be the chief outcomes.

That such power in the hands of a government brueaucracy will kill private sector investment of capital is beyond doubt. This is indeed a formula - intended or not - to ensure the eventual death of all alternatives to a government plan. Most reasonably effective government regulatory systems are constrained by law to limiting specifically designate actions: the power to exercise a priori control is a major new step. It appears to me that this is indeed an objective of at least some of those supporting the so called "health care reform" agenda out there. It is simply disingenuous of you to suggest otherwise.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:26 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I think you are missing the point here. The rules that you say will merely enable the government to prevent insurance companies from "screwing over" their clients will also enable the government to control all (or any aspect ) of the market that it chooses. This will instantly kill any innovation that doesn't arise out of the government brueaucracy that itself writes the definitions and the rules.

Bullshit. Can't you quit with the breathless pronunciations of DOOM if this thing passes?

Quote:

The track record for such institutions suggests that incompetence and political corruption - and not reform or efficiency - will be the chief outcomes.

Great, we'll finally be getting the same level of service out of our government that most Americans have come to expect from our financial, health care, and auto industries. This pretense that the government is somehow any less corrupt than the leaders of private industry is a joke, and not supported by any data whatsoever.

Quote:
That such power in the hands of a government brueaucracy will kill private sector investment of capital is beyond doubt.

Actually, it is not beyond doubt; in fact, huge amounts of Americans of all types doubt this is going to happen. It is merely you who do not doubt this. But this is not based on an accurate study of history, rather, an Ideology. This is entirely akin to the anti-Medicare arguments your party put forth 40 years ago, most of which turned out to be completely wrong.

Quote:
This is indeed a formula - intended or not - to ensure the eventual death of all alternatives to a government plan. Most reasonably effective government regulatory systems are constrained by law to limiting specifically designate actions: the power to exercise a priori control is a major new step. It appears to me that this is indeed an objective of at least some of those supporting the so called "health care reform" agenda out there. It is simply disingenuous of you to suggest otherwise.

It certainly is my objective and I have never suggested otherwise. However, the plans being proposed right now are in no way the single-payer plan I would favor. More's the pity.

Don't you realize that Appealing to Extremes is a logical fallacy, George? These statements do not make your argument stronger, they make it weaker.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
This is entirely akin to the anti-Medicare arguments your party put forth 40 years ago, most of which turned out to be completely wrong.

That may be, but the govt projections of what it would cost were also completely WRONG, as were the estimates of the cost of Social Security.

Now, if the govt was so wrong then, why do you think they will be right now about cost.
I think you are placing to much trust in the govt to get it right and to ACCURATELY show the cost.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:36 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
This is entirely akin to the anti-Medicare arguments your party put forth 40 years ago, most of which turned out to be completely wrong.

That may be, but the govt projections of what it would cost were also completely WRONG, as were the estimates of the cost of Social Security.

Now, if the govt was so wrong then, why do you think they will be right now about cost.
I think you are placing to much trust in the govt to get it right and to ACCURATELY show the cost.

I would point out that the cost of medicare has not risen at the same pace as the cost of private health care; that is to say, it is not spiraling out of control in a way that private care isn't. I think it was difficult for the creators of either program to foresee the future and how the market would become distorted.

Both programs have also been expanded in a variety of ways since their inception, and that brings additional costs with it as well. Can't expect to get more out of things without paying more.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Fri 4 Sep, 2009 12:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

mysteryman wrote:

So the Dems that have received money from the health care industry have also sold their souls and their ethics, is that it?

I'd say that's pretty accurate, starting primarily with one Max Baucus

Cycloptichorn

Another culprit is Kent Conrad (D-N.Dak.)

Quote:
Kent Conrad, the Democratic Senator who declared the public health insurance option dead on Sunday, portrays his activism on behalf of health insurance cooperatives as the conscripted service of a pragmatic warrior.

The public option, he has said over and over, just doesn't have the 60 votes he thinks are needed to overcome a filibuster in the Senate.

The accuracy of that supposed whip-count aside, Conrad's opposition to offering consumers a government-run alternative to private insurance companies goes deeper than political pragmatism.

Though he has refused to take a public position on the matter, in private meetings with colleagues and staff dating back to the beginning of the year, Conrad has repeatedly expressed his opposition to a public option, four top Democratic aides who've sat in meetings with him told the Huffington Post.

Conrad, they say, sees the public option as a dangerous expansion of federal responsibility for health care spending. "His position seems based on ideology more than practicality," said one of the aides.

Without fundamental changes to the health care system, Conrad sees the public option as unable to reduce the cost of health care. The argument by proponents of the public option that a government-run alternative within the insurance market would drive that fundamental change and help push health costs lower apparently doesn't hold any water with him.

Instead, he has presented a vague proposal to create health insurance cooperatives as an alternative.

Beyond ideology or pragmatism, however, the North Dakota Democrat has a pocketful of other reasons to oppose a public option. Despite being from a state where campaigns cost a relative pittance, Conrad has found himself the recipient of largess from a host of private actors with interests in the health care debate. Over the course of his career he has received more than $828,000 from insurance companies, $610,000 from health professionals, and $255,000 from Pharmaceutical and health product companies, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

In 2009 alone, Conrad has watched industry cash pour in at a high rate, according to a review of FEC filings. His Political Action Committee, DAKPAC, received a $2,500 donation from the American Medical Association; $2,000 donations from the pharmaceutical companies Merck & Company and Eli Lilly; as well as $1,000 donations from Johnson & Johnson, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, American Hospital Association, AstroZeneca, Abbott Laboratories, Boehringer Ingelheim, and the Federation of American Hospitals.

0 Replies