Foxfyre

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:59 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Rasmussen : polling :: Fox News : reporting

No, Rasmussen has a much better track record in their polling results than Fox does. Fox is about at the middle of the pack on accuracy on those things that can actually be verified. Rasmussen is always at or near the top.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:00 am
@Foxfyre,
I would never have guessed that the number would be that high.

If I was pressed to hazard a guess, outside of any polling statistics, I would have guessed <3% of blacks feel that >50% of cops are racist.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:05 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

If I was pressed to hazard a guess, outside of any polling statistics, I would have guessed <3% of blacks feel that >50% of cops are racist.

Shocked Seriously?

I feel comfortable saying, I don't know a single black guy who hasn't been unfairly harassed (at least in their opinion) by cops at some point.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Right, but >50% of cops are racist?????

I've talked to several black people at work about this; and my neighbor, and none of them have ever given me the impression that they think that MOST cops are racist. Some?, sure, but MOST?????

That means that they think that (at least) every other cop they see is a racist.

I'm shocked.

cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:15 am
@maporsche,
maporsche, I think there are those of us who grew up with the idea that blacks are targets more often of cops in most big cities from the information we have read. I'm sure we have all read about the respected black business man or athlete who was stopped by the police for driving in a luxury car. That has certainly influenced my thinking on the matter, because as a minority in this country, I have been the victim of racial prejudice.

However, to bring the black-cop issue into perspective, here's a pretty good article that brings some balance to this issue, and I highly recommend it to all those folks who have been involved on this thread. I believe it provides a rational balance to our perspectives no matter where we stand on this issue.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-02-07hm.html
Foxfyre

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:22 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

In Rasmussen's predictify poll on this issue, their preliminary guesstimate of how people would answer that question in the affirmative was 24% and mine was 20%. Again, I think those thinking about Gates and incidents of police harrassment in general may have been influenced by that specific circumstance. I think they might have polled much differently had the question been asked within an uncontroversial context.

I was also surprised that the number was so high too. The black people I associate with are not racist in any way and are smart enough to distinguish between incidents and a whole group. That is probably the case with you too.
Yankee

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
How many "black guys" do you know? Less than 5, more than 5?

I am sure some of your best friends are black, also! Rolling Eyes
Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:26 am
@Yankee,
Yankee wrote:

How many "black guys" do you know? Less than 5, more than 5?

I am sure some of your best friends are black, also! Rolling Eyes

I don't know; dozens? The neighborhood I grew up in was at least half African-American.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:27 am
IMPEACH OBAMA.
Foxfyre

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:30 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

IMPEACH OBAMA.

Laughing

Ican got to you did he? Smile

You still have to come up with a high crime or misdemeanor that will stick though. Just because he is scaring some of us to death just isn't enough.
maporsche

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
Good article. I'd read that most crime was committed by blacks (in total numbers, and as percentages of population); I didn't realize that blacks committed crimes 1300% more often than white people though.

I think that probably justifies a lot of otherwise questionable searches that police officers do, given overall context of total crime, and the disproportionate numbers committed by blacks.

There is a problem in the justice system though, where 2 people, one black, one white, same criminal backgrounds, same crimes, same circumstances, the black person ends up serving more time. I'm not sure how you justify that situation.

But that's another conversation, and more dealing with our justice system than beat cops.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:43 am
@Foxfyre,
I hope it's mostly influenced by the Gates event.

Otherwise, I don't know that racial tensions will ever end. If 1/3 of blacks think that more than half the cops are racist (which I think is a position born of ignorance, much moreso than fact), then we'll never get anywhere.
okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:44 am
@Foxfyre,
I believe there is stuff sufficient for impeachment but it will not gain traction with liberals controlling the mainstream media establishment. They are all in the tank for Obama, they would do almost anything to protect him and facilitate his programs. Therefore, I put 0% confidence in getting this guy out of office, except by election. In the meantime, we need to neutralize the worst of his power by coalescing public opinion against his agenda in Congress.
Foxfyre

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I hope it's mostly influenced by the Gates event.

Otherwise, I don't know that racial tensions will ever end. If 1/3 of blacks think that more than half the cops are racist (which I think is a position born of ignorance, much moreso than fact), then we'll never get anywhere.

I don't think we're ever going to get anywhere as long as some are willing to scream 'racist' at every kind of incident or politically incorrect phrase. I don't think we're ever going to get anywhere as long as any group is mandated to have victim status. I don't think we're ever going to get anywhere as long as people are mentally separated into black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever and are polled by virtue of their race rather than by virtue of them being Americans or citizens of their neighborhood, town, state, etc.

I don't think we're ever going to get anywhere as long as even our President thinks "RACE" in what otherwise would have been a routine police incident.
okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@okie,
Rasmussen strongly approve / disapprove index now in double digits. I think it was Minus 11 yesterday, but down to Minus 10 today. Its near 40% strongly disapprove, and if the Strongly disapprove goes to 45 to 50%, I think we might have some hope of stopping almost everything he tries to do. I think we might already be able to stop the ridiculous and power grap Obama care plan.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/var/plain/storage/images/media/obama_index_graphics/july_2009/obama_index_july_27_2009/236169-1-eng-US/obama_index_july_27_2009.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:59 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

I believe there is stuff sufficient for impeachment but it will not gain traction with liberals controlling the mainstream media establishment. They are all in the tank for Obama, they would do almost anything to protect him and facilitate his programs. Therefore, I put 0% confidence in getting this guy out of office, except by election. In the meantime, we need to neutralize the worst of his power by coalescing public opinion against his agenda in Congress.

I don't think there is any impeachable offense that would hold up even if the GOP was still in power in Congress. The fact that we strongly disapprove and deplore what is being pushed on us is actually illegal only if operating outside the law as recognized by Congress or the AG or other law enforcing bodies.

The really crappy stuff that was happening in the Clinton administration was disgusting, but not illegal in the sense of high crimes and misdemeanors. The perjury and obstruction of justice charges were valid, upheld by the courts and the Arkansas bar, and were a valid reason to impeach, but even a GOP controlled Senate couldn't bring themselves to believe those offenses rose to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors sufficient to convict.

And Obama has not yet done anything that would hold up either.

The GOP will be seen as sore losers, irresponsible, and meanspirited if they even attempt an impeachment or try to debate the issue and I think they will lose far more in votes and good will in the process than they would gain. Far better to keep pounding away at educating the public on cause and effect of the agenda the President and Congress are attempting to force upon us.
cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:03 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxie, Nobody is yelling "racist" at every incidence. Your tendency to see things globally that is usually not perceived correctly, you opinions are based on personal perception that is wrong most of the time.

Show us evidence on your claim that people scream "racist" at every kind of incident?
parados

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:20 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

The police were responding to a reported burglary or break in. They had reasonable cause and/or authority to:

1) Verify that the occupant of the house where the break in was reported was in fact the legal occupant of the house.

2) Verify that the occupant of the house was not in any danger from persons in the house illegally.

3) Require or request that the occupant of the house cooperate with this process.

1. That was done when the ID was given to the officer.
2. That was done when the officer stepped inside the house.
3. The cooperation was given when the officer was handed the ID. After that the officer had no valid reason to remain on the premises.

Quote:

In most states:
In each of the situations below, a police officer does not need a search warrant to conduct a search.
Since there was no search legal or illegal in the case of Gates, that has no bearing.

0 Replies

okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:21 am
@Foxfyre,
I disagree about Clinton, I think he did plenty that was impeachable, how about abuse of power, using the IRS to intimidate his political enemies? That is only one of many things. There is always the illegal foreign campaign contributions that were never adequately investigated and reported.

Similarly, there are many things that need looking at with Obama, but right now, Obama is trying to intimidate the CBO, which exists to provide a check on the executive branch in terms of spending money. Obama wants to control that process, skew it, or circumvent it. Very little gets adequately reported in the press. I still think the Blago affair needs alot more examination, there is no way Obama is not a corrupt politician the way he came out of Chicago and Illinois.
cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:32 am
@okie,
okie, You're making all those charges without providing any evidence. Please show us some credible resources for your charges/claims?

CLUE: Your personal opinion doesn't count.