spendius

Wed 3 Jun, 2009 05:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
"Why not?", you might have said, "make it 13% if that's any help. Always willing to oblige. "
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Thank you for the comment, Foxy. I do try.
I must admit that I came to the "Rasmussen tends to lean a bit to the right" conclusion based on the incredibly in-depth contributions by Nimh during the primaries and general election. His pretty charts and graphs were astounding. He is still around but is not as active as he was.
I read what he wrote about polls and there evidently are subtle nuances in polling (time of day, phrasing of questions etc, etc) that can lead to conclusions about a pollster's "bias." Bias is too strong a word, but I can't think of a word with a less sinister meaning. Perhaps Nimh could give a us a lesson on the subject.

The interesting thing about Scott Rasmussen is that he gives you no clue as to his political leanings when he talks about polls and polling or the specific results of a specific poll. He is a frequent guest on virtually every cable and network news program, and I would defy anybody to tell from his presentations who he favored or what party or position he personally favors.

I feel the same way about Brian Lamb and those he has trained on Cspan. You absolutely cannot tell what their personal opinions are about the subject being discussed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

Rasmussen intends to ask 1,000 people this question:
"To protest bailouts, should Americans boycott GM and refuse to buy GM cars?"
What % of respondents do you think will say "Yes"?
As a hint, useful or otherwise, 73% of respondents to an earlier Ras poll opposed a GM bailout.

I got an email today from Rasmussen saying that predictions on the outcome of this poll end tonight. The (mode?) average pick is 32% of the 1000 will say boycott GM. They wanted to know if I wanted to change my pick of 12%.

That's really wierd. What do you make of it?
0 Replies

okie

Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

Rasmussen intends to ask 1,000 people this question:
"To protest bailouts, should Americans boycott GM and refuse to buy GM cars?"
What % of respondents do you think will say "Yes"?
As a hint, useful or otherwise, 73% of respondents to an earlier Ras poll opposed a GM bailout.

I got an email today from Rasmussen saying that predictions on the outcome of this poll end tonight. The (mode?) average pick is 32% of the 1000 will say boycott GM. They wanted to know if I wanted to change my pick of 12%.

Speaking for myself, "boycott" is the wrong word. I don't buy products from some companies, not based upon boycott, but based upon my perception of the quality of the company and its products. Put simply, I will strongly prefer buying products from a privately owned company like Ford than I would a company run by a bunch of bureaucrats. For example, UPS runs a better service than the postal service. If you love the Postal Service, then you might also like the new GM (Government Motors).

I think it will be closer to 20 to 25% in the poll.
0 Replies

okie

Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:01 pm
Funny, we never heard any speeches like this from Obama during the campaign. How come? In fact, he went out of his way to advertise that he was supposedly a Christian.

"Obama Renews Openness About His Muslim Roots Ahead of Egypt Speech
The president showed long ago that he is comfortable talking about his roots, in his two biographical books -- now, he's citing those roots ahead of his speech to the Muslim world "

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/03/obamas-embrace-muslim-history-return/

What is Obama? He is all things to all people. Or he is nothing, he stands for nothing, except for whatever the people he is talking to at any particular time.
spendius

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:15 am
@okie,
I watched the speech live. It was quite like buttering toast and then spreading honey on it.
Eorl

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 08:18 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Funny, we never heard any speeches like this from Obama during the campaign. How come? In fact, he went out of his way to advertise that he was supposedly a Christian.

"The president showed long ago that he is comfortable talking about his roots, in his two biographical books -- now, he's citing those roots ahead of his speech to the Muslim world"

Seems to me he's a humanist and a diplomat. American conservatives seem to be the only people in the world to be unimpressed with this amazing man. I guess their long held domestic prejudices blind them to their own good fortune. Well, it doesn't matter, you lost, and the whole world benefits as much as you.

You say he hid these roots during the campaign, while quoting that "The president showed long ago that he is comfortable talking about his roots, in his two biographical books"....oh, yes I see...books! the perfect place to hide things from conservative christians.

So I guess you're saying a man with muslim roots can not claim to be a Christian? How Christian of you.
H2O MAN

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 09:08 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I watched the speech live. It was quite like buttering toast and then spreading honey on it.

I liked it Cool
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 09:25 am
@Eorl,
He didn't say that he hid them....just that he wasn't as forthcoming in discussing them during the campaign.

And the fact is that he didn't talk about his muslim roots much during the campaign. I don't blame him, the guy wanted to get elected. It was hard enough being the first black guy elected president; no need to throw muslim roots on top of that. America's not ready for that much change.
okie

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 09:54 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

He didn't say that he hid them....just that he wasn't as forthcoming in discussing them during the campaign.

Exactly, maporsche. In fact, when the opposition pointed out his Muslim roots, he gave the impression that it was false and dirty politics.

I stick to what I said. The guy changes like a chamelion, to whatever audience he is talking to, to make it seem as if he is one of them. Fact is, he used conservative lingo to attract conservative voters in the election. He is all things to all people, and nothing to everyone, in my opinion. He stands for everything, and at the same time, for nothing. Most people are still guessing as to who this guy really is, what he will do, what he believes, or what he stands for. Perhaps, liberals that also stand for not much of anything and see the world in all shades of gray, no such thing as right or wrong, except some nebulus idea of social justice, they of course love the guy, because he is a mirror image of them.

What I just said is fascinating, because when I read his book, Audacity of Hope, during the primaries, that is exactly the impression I got from the book, it never clearly spelled out what Obama believed. It contains alot of explanations and waffling and wrangling, presenting various ideas and views, but principles that he believed in, concretely, I couldn't pin it down.

I yearn for a statesman again, somebody that stands for something.

P.S. I need to remind myself of the fact that leftists cannot afford to be totally honest, because they would lose their popular support. This is not a leftist country yet, and therefore Obama must dodge and weave, govern with polls, etc.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 10:00 am
@okie,
Quote:
What I just said is fascinating,

No, it isn't. You have a highly inflated opinion of your deductive abilities.

On to more topical news,

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/kos102/2009/Cairo/standingovation.jpg

Obama's speech in Cairo was a stunning success by any measurement, interrupted by many standing ovations from the crowd.

This is what diplomacy looks like; as opposed to the hollow words of Bush, who promised freedom and delivered death and displacement to many Muslims. Pay attention, Conservatives, you might learn something.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 10:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Obama's speech in Cairo was a stunning success by any measurement,

No it wasn't.

It was a good speech, but not a great speech.
I liked it, but I didn't agree with all that he said.

For one thing, I wish he would admit that there is just one world war against Islamic extremest and
that it currently has two major battle grounds in Iraq and Afghanistan, but they are not separate wars.
H2O MAN

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is what diplomacy looks like; as opposed to the hollow words of Bush, who promised freedom and delivered death and displacement to many Muslims. Pay attention, Conservatives, you might learn something.

It was Muslim extremist that delivered death and displacement to many Americans.

Cyclotroll, if you were to pay the slightest bit of attention to what Obama is doing you would see ASS KISSING in action, not diplomacy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 11:01 am
@H2O MAN,
yeah waterwoman, I too, was dissapointed on Obama's speech. Not once did he mention that he (Government Motors) sold Hummer to the communist chinese who, no doubt, will improve the product and sell it to americans at a lower price through Walmart.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 4 Jun, 2009 11:07 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo wrote:
Quote:
No, it isn't. You have a highly inflated opinion of your deductive abilities.

okie doesn't have any deductive reasoning ability. He uses fear and generalities without substance and evidence. okie misses on the basis of ignorance on economics and politics; his claims have no common sense or logic to them, and finding contradiction in them are easy to identify.

Ask him for details of what he means.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 5 Jun, 2009 06:41 am

Unemployment Rate Rises to 9.4 Percent

Change you can believe in.
parados

Fri 5 Jun, 2009 06:57 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Unemployment Rate Rises to 9.4 Percent

Change you can believe in.

How's that Bush recession working out for you waterguy? You do realize this is a BUSH recession. It started in Jan 2008 and many economists predicted 11% unemployment before the recovery. We might get there, but the recent numbers of those filing for unemployment show a drop.
H2O MAN

Fri 5 Jun, 2009 07:00 am

Barack Hussein Obama... we can finally use his middle name.
H2O MAN

Fri 5 Jun, 2009 07:02 am
@parados,

Are you looking forward to the Barack Hussein Obama depression.

That's the Barack Hussein Obama depression, brought to you by the dumbmasses.
Eorl

Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:29 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Barack Hussein Obama... we can finally use his middle name.

This, coming from H2 OMAN
0 Replies