okie

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:29 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Nah.

Point is: you're opposing Obama because he is a Democrat. You're opposing Obama's policies because he's a Democrat. If Obama was a Republican, or if it was a Republican doing the exact same things, you'd be all in favour of them.

That's certainly one way of being consistent.

Dummie, I do not oppose sending drones into Pakistan. I agree with Obama in this particular instance, but I am simply pointing out your side's hypocrisy. I am totally consistent. You are not. And I don't believe Obama will stay consistent, I have little confidence he has the stomach to continue the policy in Afghanistan or Pakistan, and if he does, it isn't consistent. Obama is a contradiction in regard to so many things, this being one of them.

Quote:
What you're missing is that people who were opposing Bush for invading Iraq don't necessarily have the same hyper-partisan mindset. There are actually people who thought that the military intervention in Afghanistan and going after bin Laden was justified, but that the neoconservative agenda of invading and occupying Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Therefore, it's absolutely consistent to support the intervention in Afghanistan (whether it was under Bush or now under Obama) and, at the same time, oppose the intervention in Iraq (even though, at least in my opinion, the "you break it, you own it" rule applies, and the US have become responsible for the reconstruction of Iraq).

If killing terrorists in Iraq created more terrorists, then killing terrorists in Pakistan will do exactly the same thing, oe. I do not believe your argument stands the test of reason, but mine does, and always has. I am consistent, and I am simply pointing out that what you criticized Bush for, Obama is going to be doing the same thing.
old europe

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:49 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
If killing terrorists in Iraq created more terrorists, then killing terrorists in Pakistan will do exactly the same thing, oe.

See, it's the little things where you trip this up and go wrong. The point people were making was not that "killing terrorists in Iraq created more terrorists". The point people were making was that, prior to the American invasion of Iraq, there were essentially no terrorists operating out of Iraq.

You start out with on a wrong premise, and therefore reach a wrong conclusion.
okie

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:55 pm
@old europe,
And attacking the Taliban in Afghanistan drove them into Pakistan. What do innocent villagers in Pakistan have to do with 911, oe?
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:51 pm
@okie,
You're still missing oe's point.
okie

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Not missing his point at all. I understand his attempt to draw a distinction between Pakistan and Iraq, but the central point is this, if you target terrorists that by definition live among civilian populations, as they probably do in Pakistan, or Afghanstan for that matter, you will kill some people that may be innocent. That was the reasoning people used that we created more terrorists in Iraq, and I am simply pointing out the same thing happens when Obama sends in drones. Actually, drones are much less discriminating in who they kill than soldiers on the ground, such as in Iraq, so I can make the argument that the tactics in Iraq probably run less risk of creating terrorists. Drones indiscriminately kill whoever gets in their way, and they are sent by somebody looking at a computer screen, maybe by people thousands of miles away. How much more unfeeling can that be, ci?

Ci, what you and oe do not want to admit is that you are so partisan that you are plainly a couple of hypocrites. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, and I am here to point it out. Obama has been shrouded in this fictitious cloak of superior intellect and messiah like persona that he can do no wrong, which is a total crock, he is a man with little or no experience, and is destined to stumble around and screw things of royally because so many people will blindly follow him, a clear case of the blind leading the blind. He doesn't know what he is doing, and he has a bunch of Clinton re-treads and other assorted government hacks to advise him, and it isn't going to be fun.
old europe

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:38 am
@okie,
Quote:
Not missing his point at all. I understand his attempt to draw a distinction between Pakistan and Iraq, but the central point is this, if you target terrorists that by definition live among civilian populations, as they probably do in Pakistan, or Afghanstan for that matter, you will kill some people that may be innocent.

That's exactly where you're missing the point.

Unlike in Kabul, there were no al Qaeda members living in Baghdad when Bush decided to attack and invade Iraq.

That's where your attempt at pretending that the situations were identical falls flat on its face.

---

You're starting out with a faulty "central point", and therefore reach a faulty conclusion.
Vietnamnurse

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:41 am
@okie,
Wow, okie, look who's calling the kettle black! Chortle! You are one hypocrite! Guess what? Obama won! He actually did and he now has a big positive approval rating! And guess what also? Your past 8 years of backing up for George Bush's failed policies make you look ridiculous with most of your arguments. Obama inherited massive debt and two wars...one which never should have been fought and the other in Afghanistan was so mishandled by GWB. It would have taken a lot of finesse to have gotten Bin Laden but they really blew it. I think special operations could have been much better and they would not have let Bin Laden escape if they had been better. What remained after Bush's side track to Iraq was too few troops and the wrong mission.

Sorry you are the one who is looking naive.
0 Replies

Advocate

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:59 am
I must say that I am very disturbed by O's attitude relative to Afghanistan. He is not only willing to continue to fight there, but plans to expand our presence. We should be staying up nights figuring how to get out of there as quickly as possible. We are fighting Afghans (which include the Taliban) who didn't do anything to us. We should turn the matter over to the UN and get the hell out.
Frank Apisa

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:04 am
@Advocate,
Actually, Advocate, that IS the place where we have a beef. It was the Taliban who were giving shelter to the people who planned and executed the attack on us.

That war, although no war makes a lot of sense, makes one **** load more sense than this phony war in Iraq.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:14 am
@Advocate,
Advocate, I think I agree with you about Afghanistan. I don't think a conventional war will be anything but lose/lose for us. A "very special" special ops type affair back in '02 would have been the trick but Bushie was Hell bent for revenge and didn't plan it properly. I don't know if you knew Seydlitz89 of the old Abuzz. He was a career person who was in that sort of business and he was upset after the Tora Bora fiasco. We little people don't know what went on, all we know is that it was a bungle. I think sending more troops to Afghanistan will be a bungle also. I read George McGovern's op ed in either the Post or the NYT yesterday and I have to agree with him. I hope Obama listens to the right people on this. Britain and Russia are good examples of missions that failed.
0 Replies

Advocate

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
Frank, Nurse, you are both correct. However, Frank seems to believe that we now have to stay in Afghanistan and make it a twin of the USA. We beat the hell out of the Taliban and drove its leadership from the country. What more must we do? How many more thousands of USA and Afghan casualties must there be before we are either thrown out or come to our senses. Moreover, there is the spillover into Pakistan that is very dangerous to everyone. It has the bomb and it doesn't seem to care much about proliferation. Should terrorists get one, there is no doubt that it will be used.
Vietnamnurse

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:40 am
@Advocate,
There isn't an easy answer or we would have had one. We did throw out the Taliban, but they are back. The tribal areas are the troublesome part ....Wazuristan or however you spell it...between Afghanistan and Pakistan. Yes, they have the bomb...that is why I don't think sending troops is the answer. I don't have an answer. There are so many factions and tribes and hiding places that it boggles the mind. Definitely the "Briar Patch."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:43 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
Frank seems to believe that we now have to stay in Afghanistan and make it a twin of the USA.

No I do not, Advocate, and nothing I wrote leads to a conclusion of that sort.

I merely said that IS where we had a beef.

I hope we tie this thing up and get the hell out of there as soon as possible. It may make more sense than Iraq...but Iraq makes no sense at all, so it doesn't have much going for it.

I want to see us get the hell out of there!
0 Replies

okie

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:56 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Quote:
Not missing his point at all. I understand his attempt to draw a distinction between Pakistan and Iraq, but the central point is this, if you target terrorists that by definition live among civilian populations, as they probably do in Pakistan, or Afghanstan for that matter, you will kill some people that may be innocent.

Unlike in Kabul, there were no al Qaeda members living in Baghdad when Bush decided to attack and invade Iraq.

That's where your attempt at pretending that the situations were identical falls flat on its face.

---

You're starting out with a faulty "central point", and therefore reach a faulty conclusion.

Read Advocate's post, oe, LOL. Whether there were or were not al Qaeda in Iraq or not, is beside the point, oe, that makes no difference in your argument. The reasoning used by liberals that we create more terrorists is that we kill innocent people in our attempts to do it, and we only make the terrorists madder and the people that sympathize with them, it makes them more angry, and that happens lots of places besides Iraq, such as Pakistan. Pakistan did not attack us, nor were the Taliban based out of Pakistan during 911 if I have it right, they were in Afghanistan. Therefore, to attack villages in Pakistan where the Taliban or OBL may be holed up will kill innocent civilians from time to time, including children. And the people that sympathize with them that now harbor them, but may not have helped them during 911, they may now volunteer in more numbers to join their ranks, that has been the liberal argument. Own up to the argument, after all, its yours.

Whether Obama continues as he has started, and whether he will actually expand our presence in Afghanistan and unilaterally attack Pakistan as he has indicated, who knows, the man is a contradiction, but the same thing you lefties have been calling Bush a war criminal for, Obama has already got blood on his hands according to your yardstick of judgement. You will of course never admit your own hypocrisy, but it is staring you in the face.

It takes people like me and fellow conservatives to point out all of this stuff, because the mainstream media will "sanitize" the news in favor of their boy, Obama.
Frank Apisa

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
@okie,
Quote:
old europe wrote:

Quote:

---

Read Advocate's post, oe, LOL. Whether there were or were not al Qaeda in Iraq or not, is beside the point, oe, that makes no difference in your argument. The reasoning used by liberals that we create more terrorists is that we kill innocent people in our attempts to do it, and we only make the terrorists madder and the people that sympathize with them, it makes them more angry, and that happens lots of places besides Iraq, such as Pakistan. Pakistan did not attack us, nor were the Taliban based out of Pakistan during 911 if I have it right, they were in Afghanistan. Therefore, to attack villages in Pakistan where the Taliban or OBL may be holed up will kill innocent civilians from time to time, including children. And the people that sympathize with them that now harbor them, but may not have helped them during 911, they may now volunteer in more numbers to join their ranks, that has been the liberal argument. Own up to the argument, after all, its yours.

Whether Obama continues as he has started, and whether he will actually expand our presence in Afghanistan and unilaterally attack Pakistan as he has indicated, who knows, the man is a contradiction, but the same thing you lefties have been calling Bush a war criminal for, Obama has already got blood on his hands according to your yardstick of judgement. You will of course never admit your own hypocrisy, but it is staring you in the face.

It takes people like me and fellow conservatives to point out all of this stuff, because the mainstream media will "sanitize" the news in favor of their boy, Obama.

Some of you ideological zealots would make a sneeze an excuse for an ideolgical barb!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm
@okie,
okie's perception about most things political or economics falls into an area called "imagination." His opinions are usually without any basis or evidence, but are created in his grey matter that seems oblivious of the real world. His creativity is second to none.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:40 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Read Advocate's post, oe, LOL.

I did. I agree, in parts, with his post.

okie wrote:
Whether there were or were not al Qaeda in Iraq or not, is beside the point, oe, that makes no difference in your argument.

Only if you're incapable of understanding the argument.

The open support for al Qaeda by the Taliban was an argument for a military intervention in Afghanistan. Nothing comparable can be claimed for Iraq. Quite to the contrary, Saddam's secular regime had adopted an antagonistic stance to the radical brand of Wahhabism that bin Laden and al Qaeda stand for.

okie wrote:
The reasoning used by liberals that we create more terrorists is that we kill innocent people in our attempts to do it, and we only make the terrorists madder and the people that sympathize with them, it makes them more angry, and that happens lots of places besides Iraq, such as Pakistan. Pakistan did not attack us, nor were the Taliban based out of Pakistan during 911 if I have it right, they were in Afghanistan. Therefore, to attack villages in Pakistan where the Taliban or OBL may be holed up will kill innocent civilians from time to time, including children. And the people that sympathize with them that now harbor them, but may not have helped them during 911, they may now volunteer in more numbers to join their ranks, that has been the liberal argument. Own up to the argument, after all, its yours.

It's a bit of a simplistic argument, at least in the way you're presenting it here. I'm also not sure you have your facts straight - the Taliban are Sunni Islamists, predominately Pashtuns, which in turn have origins in the South of Afghanistan and in the North West of Pakistan. Arguably, the Taliban were as much based out of Pakistan as they were out of Afghanistan, even though they were nominally in power in Kabul. Additionally, if your yardstick is that Pakistan didn't attack the United States, then the same argument would obviously be true for Iraq and Afghanistan.

On the other hand, if your yardstick for a military intervention is based on the support of a specific group for al Qaeda, then the military intervention in Afghanistan and incursions into Pakistan make a lot more sense than the invasion of Iraq.

However, there is certainly something to be said for the argument you're trying to present here: excessive use of force that leads to many civilian victims may rather have the opposite effect to what you're trying to achieve, namely diminishing the terrorist threat or the number of terrorists. I don't see anything wrong with that argument, and it would be true, no matter which political party the President of the United States was belonging to.

okie wrote:
Whether Obama continues as he has started, and whether he will actually expand our presence in Afghanistan and unilaterally attack Pakistan as he has indicated, who knows, the man is a contradiction,

You'll certainly be able to point out which contradiction you're referring to. So far, I haven't seen you even trying to make that case.

okie wrote:
but the same thing you lefties have been calling Bush a war criminal for, Obama has already got blood on his hands according to your yardstick of judgement.

Not really. Again, you fail to understand why people actually opposed the invasion of Iraq propagated by the Bush administration.

okie wrote:
You will of course never admit your own hypocrisy, but it is staring you in the face.

It would be hypocrisy of you were arguing with someone who held the opinion that any kind of military intervention, no matter for what reason, is always wrong.

As I haven't made that argument, you're merely knocking down a strawman that you have erected yourself.

okie wrote:

It takes people like you to become a victim of conspiracy theories that claim that the "mainstream media" will "sanitize" the news in favour of a Democrat in the White House.
joefromchicago

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:45 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
He doesn't know what he is doing, and he has a bunch of Clinton re-treads and other assorted government hacks to advise him, and it isn't going to be fun.

On the contrary, it already is fun. It's just not much fun for you.
cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
joe, It's obvious okie is out of touch with reality. He blames Obama whose administration is but one week old, and has very criticism against Bush who ran our country into the garbage heap during his eight years.

He has no common sense and no basis for most of his opinions. Why bother?
0 Replies

okie

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:10 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

okie wrote:
Read Advocate's post, oe, LOL.

I did. I agree, in parts, with his post.

okie wrote:
Whether there were or were not al Qaeda in Iraq or not, is beside the point, oe, that makes no difference in your argument.

Only if you're incapable of understanding the argument.

I understood your argument and told you it was beside the point, which it is.

Quote:
The open support for al Qaeda by the Taliban was an argument for a military intervention in Afghanistan. Nothing comparable can be claimed for Iraq. Quite to the contrary, Saddam's secular regime had adopted an antagonistic stance to the radical brand of Wahhabism that bin Laden and al Qaeda stand for.

I do not think the arguments about creating more terrorists have to depend upon the chosen causes of entering a war, oe, as I have pointed out, it hinges upon whether the populace there perceives the actions of war to be taken against innocent people, or not even innocent people necessarily, it hinges upon the idea that waging war makes those people more angry, and the people that support them more angry.

Quote:
okie wrote:
The reasoning used by liberals that we create more terrorists is that we kill innocent people in our attempts to do it, and we only make the terrorists madder and the people that sympathize with them, it makes them more angry, and that happens lots of places besides Iraq, such as Pakistan. Pakistan did not attack us, nor were the Taliban based out of Pakistan during 911 if I have it right, they were in Afghanistan. Therefore, to attack villages in Pakistan where the Taliban or OBL may be holed up will kill innocent civilians from time to time, including children. And the people that sympathize with them that now harbor them, but may not have helped them during 911, they may now volunteer in more numbers to join their ranks, that has been the liberal argument. Own up to the argument, after all, its yours.

It's a bit of a simplistic argument, at least in the way you're presenting it here. I'm also not sure you have your facts straight - the Taliban are Sunni Islamists, predominately Pashtuns, which in turn have origins in the South of Afghanistan and in the North West of Pakistan. Arguably, the Taliban were as much based out of Pakistan as they were out of Afghanistan, even though they were nominally in power in Kabul. Additionally, if your yardstick is that Pakistan didn't attack the United States, then the same argument would obviously be true for Iraq and Afghanistan.

True, and do not mistake me for agreeing with the left, I am simply using their past arguments of logic against their own positions, which includes you.

Quote:
On the other hand, if your yardstick for a military intervention is based on the support of a specific group for al Qaeda, then the military intervention in Afghanistan and incursions into Pakistan make a lot more sense than the invasion of Iraq.

There are alot of issues besides al Qaeda, obviously, especially for Iraq, there was the advice from the CIA that Hussein had WMD, and Hussein had slaughtered tens of thousands of his own people. If you go back and read what Bush said about this, it was a package of reasons, not one single reason. And Congress agreed with him by the way, and sanctioned the war that we are apparently winning now.

Quote:
However, there is certainly something to be said for the argument you're trying to present here: excessive use of force that leads to many civilian victims may rather have the opposite effect to what you're trying to achieve, namely diminishing the terrorist threat or the number of terrorists. I don't see anything wrong with that argument, and it would be true, no matter which political party the President of the United States was belonging to.
That is the point, and it creates more terrorists, that according to your side's argument against Bush, and I repeat, I am simply turning the same reasoning onto Obama. I am encouraging lefties to be consistent.

Quote:
okie wrote:
Whether Obama continues as he has started, and whether he will actually expand our presence in Afghanistan and unilaterally attack Pakistan as he has indicated, who knows, the man is a contradiction,

You'll certainly be able to point out which contradiction you're referring to. So far, I haven't seen you even trying to make that case.

That is a subject in itself, but just a couple for starters. Transparent and honest administration, but he is anything but transparent in dealing with the Blago case, and pushing obviously flawed people for the administration, a tax evader to oversee the IRS, that is a joke. And no more earmark pork, but its all smoke and mirrors, the same sort of crap will be done with his stimulus public works programs, but just alot more of it, all pork, and don't try to tell me it isn't going to have political strings being pulled with it. These are obvious contradictions, big ones.

Quote:
okie wrote:
but the same thing you lefties have been calling Bush a war criminal for, Obama has already got blood on his hands according to your yardstick of judgement.

Not really. Again, you fail to understand why people actually opposed the invasion of Iraq propagated by the Bush administration.

I understand it perfectly. It was political, it was because they did not want Bush to succeed. They did not like the man, and they began to build a case against Bush from the time he was elected in his first term.

Quote:
okie wrote:
You will of course never admit your own hypocrisy, but it is staring you in the face.

It would be hypocrisy of you were arguing with someone who held the opinion that any kind of military intervention, no matter for what reason, is always wrong.

It is hypocrisy when the criticisms leveled against Bush are not used against Obama for doing the very same thing. I think Obama himself criticized Bush for innocent people dying in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and he is going to pretend that drones are not going to have collateral damage. The man is a joke, and always has been, but people fail to see the phoniness.

Quote:
ven't made that argument, you're merely knocking down a strawman that you have erected yourself.

I can't know all the posts you have made, but I think you largely come down on the left pretty consistently.

Quote:
okie wrote:

It takes people like you to become a victim of conspiracy theories that claim that the "mainstream media" will "sanitize" the news in favour of a Democrat in the White House.

I have never claimed a conspiracy. It is just what they do because the vast majority are liberal minded, more so than the general population, and this is supported by the data.