okie

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:53 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

O boy is happily spending all of your future SS checks.

He is following the contrarian philosophy, when you are going broke, spend more money, spend like a drunken sailor.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:04 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Intellectually shallow post, cyclops.

Have you resorted to posting stock descriptions of your posts, instead of bothering to waste our time, Okie?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
okie hasn't the faintest idea what "shallow" means as it concerns his own posts...
0 Replies

okie

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:18 pm
Obama with another winner, Geithner, did Obama do any background checks whatsoever? The guy doesn't pay taxes, I thought Democrats loved taxes? I remember Republican picks being dropped simply because of hiring an illegal, and he has done this, plus the biggee, defrauding the IRS.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/13/questions-raised-immigration-documentation-geithners-housekeeper/
Butrflynet

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:00 pm
@okie,
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17405.html

This afternoon, upon his own request, Mr. Geithner met with bipartisan members of the Senate Finance Committee. He felt it was important that the Committee hear directly from him on these issues. He made several critical points about the common tax mistake made while he worked at the IMF; and the expiration of a housekeeper's employment authorization for the last three months of her employment by the Geithners, including:

* Before becoming President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Tim Geithner worked for the International Monetary Fund from 2001-2003. He paid all of his income taxes on his IMF income, but made a common mistake on his tax returns with regard to self-employment taxes. He voluntarily corrected the mistake as soon as it was discovered.

* For tax purposes, while IMF employees receive W-2's as employees, they are treated as if they were self-employed. This unusual payroll system commonly creates confusion among U.S. employees of the international organizations like the IMF , who typically are accustomed to having employers withhold federal and state taxes. This problem has been so common that in November 2006 (as supplemented in 2007) the IRS made a taxpayer favorable settlement offer to all U.S. employees of Embassies and International Organizations in order to bring the employees into compliance with their U.S. tax obligations. http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=167770,00.html

* As part of the vetting process conducted by the Presidential Transition Team, it was discovered that Mr. Geithner mistakenly had not paid self-employment taxes in 2001 and 2002 as an IMF employee. Mr. Geithner had initially prepared the returns himself. However, an accountant reviewed his 2001 returns as part of an amended return filed 2002, and also failed to catch the mistake on the self employment taxes.

* Upon learning of this error on November 21, 2008, Mr. Geithner immediately submitted payment for tax that would have been due in those years plus interest. For 2001 Mr. Geithner paid additional tax of $2,364 and interest of $956, for a total of $3320. For 2002 he paid additional tax of $16,812 and interest of $5838, for a total of $22,650. The total additional amount paid for the two years was $25,970. All of his taxes have now been paid in full, and at no time was there any intention on Mr. Geithner's part to avoid taxes.

* Mr. Geithner worked for the IMF until the fall of 2003, and he also received a small amount of income from the IMF in early 2004. An accountant prepared Mr. Geithner's 2003 and 2004 returns and advised him in writing that he was exempt self-employment taxes on his IMF income.

* In 2006, the IRS initiated a letter audit of Mr. Geithner's taxes for 2003 and 2004 and concluded that he owed self-employment tax and interest for 2003 and 2004 with respect to his IMF employment. He paid tax and interest totaling $17,230 (of which $14,847 was tax and $2,383 was interest) for the two-year period, and the IRS waived all penalties. Also, Mr. Geithner was advised that he had no further liability for Social Security taxes on his IMF income.

* The Committee also raised an issue regarding a housekeeper that the Geithner's employed to clean their home from 2004-2005. The Geithners verified that she had a current Employee Authorization Document at the time she was hired. Mr. Geithner was unaware that three months before she stopped working for them to have a baby, her authorization expired. Nevertheless, she continued to reside legally in the United States, she was married to a U.S. citizen, and she was granted a green card a few months later.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:04 pm
@okie,
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/baucus-tax-trouble-wont-derail-geithner-2009-01-13.html

Quote:
Senate Finance Committee members, including Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.), on Tuesday said they believed Treasury secretary nominee Timothy Geithner would win confirmation despite lapses in his tax payments.

Baucus called the errors “honest mistakes” and said he learned of the errors “weeks ago.”

Some Republicans also offered support for Geithner, who played an important role in the Bush administration’s handling of the financial crisis as head of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) said he is leaning toward supporting Geithner and that the allegations do not seem too severe.

“I'll probably support him, but I need to do a more thorough review first,” Crapo said.

Baucus and Sen. Chuck Grassley (Iowa), the Republican ranking member on the committee, are expected to release a report later today on Geithner. Grassley did not respond to questions from reporters following the Finance panel’s meeting.
okie

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have some observations about this. First of all, if this was Sarah Palin, she would be gone by now, and the headlines would be all over the place, and Treasury Secretary of all things, he should know something about money. The next observation I have is, I do my own taxes, and I think any nitwit should have known this, let alone somebody being nominated for Treasury secretary. If I have this right, the IMF deducted income tax, but did not contribute to the Social Security, but this should have been clear and understood, I have a hard time not believing that this would not have been readily available knowledge. This amounts to 15% of his income, if it also includes Medicare deductions as well.

I would give it a very slim chance it was an honest mistake, but doubtful, and even if it was, it doesn't show high intelligence.

This reminds me of Sandy Berger saying it was just "sloppy" paper work that he was guilty of. The language here is an "honest mistake." Okay, but what about being unqualified to be Treasury Secretary, if you can't at least do your taxes correctly? I know that would be the mantra if it was Sarah Palin. They would want her in jail for tax evasion immediately.

Just here to point out the double standard, butrflynet. And I also recall somebody dropping out of a nomination for cabinet under Bush for having hired illegals. Again, a double standard.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 07:17 am
Common sense & common decency is returning to the US..... Okie!

Get used to it. AH..... if only I had a dollar for every time one of you Jethros said that to me, I could take a nice long, well deserved vacation!

I discovered this letter to the editor in a Topeka, Kansas newspaper. You should read it and take it to heart. We are not going to be dumbed down by these idiots any more. If the shoe fits wear it!

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/011409/opi_377132422.shtml

Letter: Radio rampage - - GENE E. WOLFE, Topeka
The Capital-Journal
Published Wednesday, January 14, 2009
While claiming to wish our new duly elected president
well, the right wing radio hosts are on their usual
rampage trashing and opposing everything he says or
does.

Rush Limbaugh rails against Barack Obama's stimulus
proposal. He mockingly compares it to FDR's New Deal
and ridiculously calls it the "raw deal." Sean Hannity
starts each of his radio problems as "a special
edition" of "Conservatism in Exile." Then he goes on
to claim the fairness doctrine is the "censorship
doctrine." He should call his program "Conservatism in
Denial."

Neither Limbaugh nor Hannity ever espouse anything
that does not further their extreme views. They do not
give credence to anything but their own warped
versions of the "perfect conservative world." It would
never occur to them to step back and take an honest
look at the last, disastrous eight years. To do so
would require them to acknowledge the total failure of
conservatism, especially their kind.

It would be too much for them to admit the many
miserable Bush failures. Heaven forbid they should
acknowledge his responsibility for the financial
collapse that occurred during his eight years. To say
nothing of Bush's trashing of our Constitution,
violations of our civil rights and torture and
rendition of prisoners.

Contrary to the conservatives' thinking, I do not
agree with every Democratic position. I believe they
have failed us in several areas, especially by not
impeaching Cheney and Bush. I think Harry Reid and
Nancy Pelosi should not be in office - for their
failure to impeach. With that said, I disagree far
more with the Republican conservative agenda.

Opposing view should always be welcome in a democracy.
It is a sad commentary on our times that so many
radical individuals seem to have such a large, loyal
audience. America is poorly served by such divisive
talk. Hopefully, common sense will someday prevail in
our public media. Only then will we again be a truly
united country.
H2O MAN

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:18 am
@Magginkat,
Magginkat wrote:

Common sense & common decency is returning to the US..... Okie!

Yeah, common sense & and common decency is returning to our Republic despite O boy's pending coronation and presidency.
0 Replies

okie

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:02 am
@Magginkat,
Sorry to see your rampage against conservative opinion holders, but it is freedom of speech.

Common sense and decency does not masquerade as hypocrisy and dishonesty. Just a reminder. You could start by opposing Eric Holder, a loser. I watched a few minutes of him answering questions, and it confirms what I just said, a loser, bigtime.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:08 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Common sense and decency does not masquerade as hypocrisy and dishonesty. Just a reminder.

The opposite is true, as your leaders have displayed, Okie. Bush and Cheney are crooks and thugs, who wrap themselves in a cloak of 'keeping people safe.' They play upon the fears of the weak-minded and use crappy rhetoric to try and justify their invasion of the Federal budget; and you can see just how long the Republican majority lasted with leadership like that.

2010 is going to be a nightmare for you guys in the Senate as well; already facing a big deficit, 5 Republicans have announced their retirement on top of that. This means that the Dems could have 60+ seats easily and could hit 66. Care to bet on whether or not the Republicans will pick up ANY seats?

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:09 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

You could start by opposing Eric Holder, a loser.
I watched a few minutes of him answering questions, and it confirms what I just said, a loser, bigtime.

+1

Holder is weak and not to be trusted.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,

Cyclotroll lives in opposite land and hopes to one day become King of Imagination Land.
0 Replies

okie

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Speaking of crooks and thugs, just wait a few days, weeks, and the onslaught of the abuse of power will begin, if you are a well known conservative, expect IRS intimidations, and more.
parados

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:24 pm
@okie,
That's funny okie. Care to bet on it? I'll bet that anyone cheating on their taxes is going to claim Obama is targeting them if they are audited but there will be no evidence of any individual targeting.
mysteryman

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@parados,
How much evidence of individual targeting was there when the dems and the left screamed about the Bush plan to monitor international calls?

The left raised hell, but they still have not produced one shred of evidence that anyone was affected.
realjohnboy

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
@parados,
Okie is right, Parados. I am hearing that bus loads of career IRS auditors are being sent to a resort in the mountains of Maryland for "reeducation" by the Obamaites. Their targets, these reprogrammed robots, will be "conservatives."
0 Replies

okie

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:34 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

That's funny okie. Care to bet on it? I'll bet that anyone cheating on their taxes is going to claim Obama is targeting them if they are audited but there will be no evidence of any individual targeting.

Of course there will be no direct evidence, parados, and I have no proof Obama will do what the Clintons were suspicioned of doing, using the IRS to target their political enemies. There were a number of higher profile organizations that opposed Clinton, that were audited, just kind of coincidental, huh, Parados.

Perhaps it all boils down to trust, I don't have much in regard to this bunch of people, and why should I if I observe how they got to where they are?
cicerone imposter

Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:13 pm
@okie,
"...the Clintons were suspicioned of doing..." Or, should that be "suspected"...
Magginkat

Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ah Cicerone, don't poke fun at poor old Okie. He is a symbol of that 'improved education system' under the great one! It could be worse. Check this post that I discovered in another forum:

Did Sarah from Texas really mean to type that first sentence followed by a list of disasters that happened the past 8 yrs??? LOL Honesty, in spite of herself! AND note that she talks about the improved education sytem during the Bush watch and then check her writing & spelling!! Sounds more like Sarah from the Yukon!!!

Sarah from Texas......A lot of good things happened during his 8 years in office. We had a lot of hurricanes, tonadoes, floods and fires. Then there was 9/11 and recently the bail outs of the auto industry and the Genie Mai and Fanny Mai crises. None of these were his fault, he had nothing to do with any of hese disasters but they all cost a lot of money. The American people had to blame someone so they blamed pesident Bush. The war in Iraq was necessary to promote the safety of America. We have not been attacked since 9/11 and I think it was the war in Iraq that has prevented and further attacks. He did keep America safe, our education system has improved during his watch, he has nothing to regreat nor anything to be ashamed of. The stock market and the ecomomy were doing great until the election campaigns for 2009 started. I think he did an outstanding job and I was proud to call him my President. I for one want to thank him for all the hard work he did and to tell him that I appreciate him. It's going to take some mighty big shoes to feel George Bushes and I hope that Obama can at least feel one . I wish President George W Bush the best of everything and that God will bless him. I know he will go down in history as being one of our greatest presidents. I will miss him.

Yeah, I will miss him too Sarah....like a bad toothache!