blatham

Sun 10 Dec, 2006 01:21 pm
cyphercat

You and I shall be, to use a term now made as tawdry and unappealing as some old Texas oilfield whore, resolved.

Quote:
In N.H., Obama Heightens 2008 Prospects

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: December 10, 2006
Filed at 1:07 p.m. ET

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) -- Illinois Sen. Barack Obama drew large crowds curious about his presidential prospects during his first trip to the pivotal campaign state of New Hampshire while he decides whether to enter the Democratic race.

Several hundred New Hampshire voters turned out to hear Obama speak at a signing for his best-selling book, ''Audacity of Hope,'' where he didn't mention the presidential race but spoke about a new political spirit to unite Americans and solve their problems.

New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation primary is over a year away and Obama hasn't even said whether or not he will join the Democratic field vying for the nomination. But he's already igniting excitement with his exploratory trip.
more below

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Obama-2008.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
http://i11.tinypic.com/4dpec21.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:10 pm
That's very cute, walter.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:22 pm
Obama speech on C-Span at 8 ET, 7CST.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:25 pm
Have you stopped beating your spouse?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:27 pm
They were discussing Obama on PBS this afternnon, and one lady said she hasn't been excited about a candidate since she was ten when John F Kennedy ran.

I think Obama is going to move mountains.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:28 pm
Well, he has to at least actually announce a candidacy, first.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:30 pm
He will! I betcha on that one.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
I think it wise to remain circumspect on this thing. How many remember the buzz that Ted Kennedy was generating, right before he officially announced his candidacy? As soon as it was made official, his support dropped dramatically and Carter took that nomination. He's generating all the buzz right now, but Hillary has a farmidable machine behind her.

(Part of me will stay in semi-shock for at least a while that we're seriously contemplating candidacies for both a woman and a black man in the same race.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:51 pm
We can credit some of that on Bush; his "performance" allowed us to consider a woman and a black man at the same time. I think Americans are ready for change in more ways than one.

It's true that Clinton has the "experience" and backing by the old guard, but Obama is gaining strength and credibility with the electorate whereever he goes. That's not true of Hillary; her stronghold is New York. Many democrats don't trust her.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:01 pm
Snood and all:
There was a commentary on NPR this afternoon (All Things Considered) by a Stephen Barnes, described as a (black) science fiction writer in Los Angeles.

He made a statement that "Race may be the greatest wound in the American character.'

The NPR synopsis of the jist of Barnes' argument goes like this:

Obama: Free of the American Past.
"...One of the reasons...Obama may be such an appealing candidate is that he doesn't carry the baggage of slavery, since his father was an immigrant..."

I have listened to the commentary (npr.org) a couple of times and can't decide whether there is any merit to it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:06 pm
rjb, That's only one subjective opinion that may or may not have any merit. I don't think "slavery" has anything to do with Obama's attraction.
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:40 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
In N.H., Obama Heightens 2008 Prospects

I liked this in the WaPo story on that trip:

Quote:
To the question everyone wanted answered -- Is he going to run? -- Obama was noncommittal. [..] But he closed his speech here early Sunday night with words that seemed to signal growing interest in a campaign. "America is ready to turn the page," he said. "America is ready for a new set of challenges. This is our time. A new generation is prepared to lead."

Hard to believe he is not talking about himself.

There's this too:

Quote:
"In all my history, nobody's ever had a crowd this big, this early," said Charles Campion, a veteran party strategist based in Boston, as he watched Democrats assemble Sunday afternoon in Manchester.

On the downside:

Quote:
Obama has been meeting regularly with a small team of advisers and with his wife, Michelle .. [They] have been trying to identify potential staff at a time when Clinton and other Democratic candidates are moving to lock up the most experienced fundraisers, strategists, organizers, advance people and communications experts.

Either which way, we'll know it all in January, apparently. In the meantime:

Quote:
"Right now it's his opportunity, his time," Hughes said. "We'll see what he does with it."
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:42 pm
On a PS, I liked this too:

Quote:
Family issues remain a potentially significant obstacle to Obama. He arrived in New Hampshire close to midnight Saturday because he was attending a ballet recital for one of his two young daughters, and the demands of a presidential campaign would keep him away from his family for much of the next two years.

Asked whether his wife is enthusiastic or resistant to a presidential campaign, he said he would keep private discussions private, but added, "She is the smartest, toughest, funniest best friend that I could ever hope for, and she's always had my back. Whatever decision we make, we'll make together."

whole story here
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:09 pm
I genuinly like Obama, but wonder if has the political experience to lead the country. I'd hate to see some of the other world leaders sending him to the UN looking for a left handed smoke shifter or taking him on a snipe hunt or something.

Being President takes more then a charismatic smile and silver tongue.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:32 pm
Well, at least he doesn't have that hard of an act to follow...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:50 pm
McG, How many great presidents had "prior" experience - in whatever that makes great ones? How many with "experience" failed as presidents?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I genuinly like Obama, but wonder if has the political experience to lead the country. I'd hate to see some of the other world leaders sending him to the UN looking for a left handed smoke shifter or taking him on a snipe hunt or something.

Being President takes more then a charismatic smile and silver tongue.

Well, yeah, I don't know if the country could handle having a president who made an ass of himself in front of other world leaders. *cough*
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:15 am
A full page (page 7) in today's The Guardian:

http://i12.tinypic.com/2jc6aro.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:16 am
Quote:
'Run Obama! Run!' Could this be the next US president?

Democrats' new great hope takes New Hampshire testing ground by storm

Ed Pilkington in Manchester, New Hampshire
Tuesday December 12, 2006
The Guardian

When the governor of New Hampshire, John Lynch, introduced his guest of honour at a rally to celebrate the state's Democratic routing of the Republicans in the recent midterm elections, he shared with the large, boisterous crowd a secret.
"We originally scheduled the Rolling Stones," he said, "but we cancelled them when we realised Senator Obama would sell more tickets."

He was rewarded with an outbreak of ecstatic whooping. But behind his joke there was a truth. Barack Obama had indeed sold the tickets - the ballroom of the Radisson hotel in Manchester was packed, its 1,500 tickets sold out.

Even seasoned observers of New Hampshire politics were rubbing their eyes in disbelief. The state is the stomping ground of would-be American presidents: every four years it is the first to hold primary elections for the presidential candidates of both main parties - 2008 will be no exception - and as such carries an influence far greater than its diminutive size. Its residents have grown blasé about being ritually courted by national political figures.
But this was different. There was nothing blasé about Sunday night's reception for the Senator from Illinois. When Mr Lynch suggested that Mr Obama might run, someone shouted "Run Obama! Run!" and the crowd erupted again.

John DiStaso, political columnist on New Hampshire's largest newspaper, the Union Leader, who has been covering the primaries since 1980, said he was astonished by such excitement so early in the electoral cycle. "I have never seen anything like it. I would think if Obama was looking for positive feedback about whether to stand, he's certainly found it here."

And it's not just in New Hampshire that Rolling Stones fever is taking hold. Mr Obama's new book, the Audacity of Hope, is number two in the bestseller lists of both the New York Times and Amazon. His face beams out of the front covers of glossy magazines: he has been profiled by Time, Newsweek, Men's Vogue, Harper's, New York magazine. In each, the authors grapple with political mass hysteria, unseen in Democratic circles since the early days of Bill Clinton, perhaps, or even the adoration of the Kennedy brothers. As Joe Klein put it in his Time profile: "Obama seemed the political equivalent of a rainbow - a sudden preternatural event inspiring awe and ecstasy."

Mr Obama himself appears to be remaining impressively calm in the face of such billowing adulation. Before his New Hampshire speech he told reporters: "I am suspicious of hype. The fact that my 15 minutes of fame has extended a little longer than 15 minutes is somewhat surprising to me, and a matter of bewilderment for my wife."

The comment is classic Obama - part self-deprecation, part dissembling. The question of will he or won't he stand for president has become the obsessive talking point for Democrats in New Hampshire and beyond, and he likes it that way. His official line is that he is weighing up his options - "running things through the traps" - but occasionally his language slips. At one point talking to reporters he compared himself to "the other candidates", revealing a firmness of purpose he has so far kept hidden.

As for those other candidates, only two Democrats so far have clearly announced their intention of standing: Iowa's governor, Tom Vilsack, and Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, who was also in New Hampshire over the weekend but attracted much less attention. Hillary Clinton, the natural frontrunner, is expected to make her declaration of intent early in the new year.

Yet it is in comparison with Mrs Clinton that both Mr Obama's strengths and weaknesses become most apparent.

His mother was white and from Kansas and his father was from Kenya and bequeathed his name to his son, but left the family to return home when Barack Jr was just two. Mr Obama plays heavily upon his racial and cultural origins in his books and speeches, endearing him to black and white audiences alike.

Then there is his age, at 45, which sets him apart from Mrs Clinton, 14 years his senior, and gives him claim - another parallel with JFK - to representing a new generation. It also gives him the latitude to reveal earlier youthful indiscretions: he confesses in his first book, Dreams from My Father, to having used marijuana (yes, he inhaled) and cocaine.

But questions of race and inexperience regularly arise. "Is America ready for a black president?" is hurled even more frequently at him than the question of a woman president is at Hillary. He faced it squarely on Sunday.

"Race is still a powerful force in this country, and there are certain stereotypes I will have to deal with. But I find that when people get to know you they will judge you on your merits."

Mark Mellman, a Washington-based pollster, believes that among Democratic supporters in the primaries, race will be in Mr Obama's favour: "People will grab the chance to make positive history - nominating the first black candidate for president."

His lack of experience is harder to answer. Mr Obama has spent just two years in the Senate compared with Mrs Clinton's six, or John Kennedy's 14 years in Congress before he became president.

Crucially, though, lack of experience is an advantage when those with experience are perceived to have got the US into such a mess. It means he is free of awkward voting histories - he can claim to have opposed the Iraq war when Mrs Clinton backed it.

When he stood up before the crowd in New Hampshire, he played on that: "We must understand that the might of our military has to be matched by the strength of our diplomacy."

That was just one of several buttons guaranteed to elicit yet more Democratic adulation: energy independence, raising the minimum wage, better pay for teachers, fiscal responsibility and universal health care. But what most inflamed the crowd was when he spoke about the American Dream. "What's hard, what demands courage, what's truly audacious, is to hope," he said. "People are hungry for something new. They are interested in being part of something larger than petty politics we have seen in the last few years. This is our time - a new generation that is preparing to lead."
Source
0 Replies