spendius

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:22 pm
@spendius,
It has come to my attention that the president-elect is a user of the narcotic substance nicotine. This partly explains his deep, resonating tones.

It seems that he intends stopping. Which is not good news if the intention is carried out.

I can't vouch for this as it was only an item on BBC News.
0 Replies

maporsche

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

and isn’t it interesting that gun nuts in general seem to show an increased propensity for racism?

No, that's not interesting at all; nor is it completely accurate.

I'm sure I'd be described as a gun nut by a few here, and I voted for Obama.
spendius

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:22 pm
@maporsche,
That suggests you are gun nut for different reasons some others are.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:57 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

and isn’t it interesting that gun nuts in general seem to show an increased propensity for racism?

No, that's not interesting at all; nor is it completely accurate.

I'm sure I'd be described as a gun nut by a few here, and I voted for Obama.
A careful reading would reveal I didn't say every gun nut... but if memory serves you did have to overcome some rather irrational fears of Obama before voting for him. Razz Relax; you're not who I had in mind... and I think you know perfectly well which two gun nuts I did have in mind.
okie

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:12 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I think independently, act independently, vote independently, just me, and I form my own opinions, just a person unconnected to fellow groups or admirers of whomever.

I don't think you could get any educated person to agree with such self-flattering bullshit of that nature okie.

So you don't? I presumed everyone would at least try to think for themselves?

So just who am I a puppet of, spendius? I am certainly not in the tank for Obama, nor was I for McCain, and I am not for their running mates either, neither one. And I did not work for anyone's campaign, and you certainly would never see me at an Obama rally, mindlessly waving a change sign or sobbing at the mere sight of Obama.

Bush, I defended him in some matters, where I judged he deserved defending, others I did not, I criticized him.

So speaking of bull, I think your comment was bull, and I didn't really appreciate it all that much, spendius. Even less if you were totally sober.
okie

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Wrong again, okie. We are not emotionally joined at the hip. We don't all agree with each other or each other's methods. We spend a lot of time arguing about it. I bet there hasn't been a day in the last two years that I haven't had over 300 emails in my New Mail box, most of it duplicates or endless debates, much like this A2K message board. Some days I delete it all without reading any of it because I get sick of all the bickering; other days I skim through the subject lines and read what catches my attention and add my two cents worth. Just like we do on this message board.

The fact that you keep coming back to A2K to do the exact same thing tells me that you aren't the loner you pretend to be. Face it okie, you are a groupee!

Back again, sorry for the delay, butrfly. I guess I believe you, but I am beginning to think Obama's online organization is more than I would have ever imagined, and I am not so sure I like it. Sure, I believe in citizens being interested in politics, and writing a letter to your congressman is great, but I am not so sure I like the looks of this Change.gov thing, with a "Technology Officer," which appears to me to be a new way to tamper with the normal interaction between the executive branch and the legislative branch. This appears to be sort of a new tool of the executive branch to browbeat the congress with hordes of people out here sending them emails, etc. I'm not real sure yet what I think, as some of this is in a state of flux, but I am skeptical to say the least, butrfly.

A campaign is fine, but to continue this browbeating of rightfully elected representatives of a representative republic, 24/7 in an organized way, I will have to watch this one closely. It strikes me that Obama wants all of his little minions to keep playing the game, titled change.gov, and I am not sure what his end game really is for all of this so-called change, okay. I think other groups have freedom of speech, but as an arm of the president, uh, I need to think about that some more, and look at the ramifications of it. Here again, I do not trust this kind of hidden agenda, wherein he has not explained any of this to us, that I know of.

I am sure you and all the in the tank for Obama people will all disagree and call me a nut, but I don't care, I think my concerns are very legitimate. After all, this is the same guy that has proposed a national security force, that is every bit as funded as the military. Bizarre I think, so I am going to be very skeptical of everything this man does, because I do not trust him, and my distrust is more than justified, it is essential. More justified than you people are for following an unknown man like a herd of mindless sheep.

By the way, I am no groupee for simply expressing my opinion here. I got started with doing it with Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, because that issue was one very close to my heart, and I liked being able to express an opinion.

By the way, I haven't found out yet, how many Obama volunteers are on this board, that you know of?
0 Replies

okie

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:46 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hey Bill

You tend to be a reasonable guy.
I am. In fact; I am the man Okie professes to be. Whose politics on this site would you consider more Independent than mine? Would you pretend Okie fits that description in any way shape or form?

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I have ever read, Bill. You dislike me so much and disagree with me so much, and I am so irrational, but you now claim to be the man that fits my description of me! Speaking of irrational, Bill?

Quote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Why ridicule Okie?
Because his claim was as ridiculous as it would be for Foxy, or CI to make. Completely ridiculous.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Because he has no use for Obama?
Convenient as that might be to assume, no. I fairly consistently ridicule unwarranted attacks on any candidate, including both Obama and McCain in this last cycle.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Obviously, I haven't read 100% of Okie's postings, but I've read enough to reach the conclusion that while he is opinionated (and who in this effin forum is not?) he is very rarely irrational, and almost never obnoxious.
I’ll grant you innocence in being opinionated and rarely obnoxious; but dissent on the issue of irrational. He fairly consistently believes and repeats some of the most absurd crap that comes out of Rush’s mouth. Stuff that you, with your strong partisan convictions, would never believe let alone repeat.

Okay, I think I have called your bluster or bluff before, but unless you can produce an irrational comment of mine, why don't you just cool it a bit?

I eliminated all of the rest of the back and forth between you and Finn, to shorten this post, but to address all of that,....
I think you are losing it. And to think that not long after I joined this forum, I was naive enough that after reading one of your opinions that I thought was pretty reasonable, I sent you a personal message complimenting you. I regret doing that now, as you have really drifted leftward, to the point that you are getting pretty far out there, you seem to have lost your way.
okie

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:53 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
By the way, you loved to accuse everyone of being a racist or a bigot. Now, have you moved onto your next whipping boy, gun nuts? Is everybody a gun nut now? I did read that gun sales are really sky rocketing. Why would that be? I guess a bunch of irrational gun nuts!
okie

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:08 am
By the way, people, is the Obama born in Kenya business gone forever? I've seen stuff on this for a while, and more or less dismissed it, but one thing nags at that conclusion, did the Kenyan grandmother say, and is this on tape, that she was in the room when he was born there? How could this be made up? Why would she lie? Now, I am sure that if there is anything to this, the powers that be will totally expunge the record, and it could have been nothing to it, but still I find it much more intriguing and possible than Bush bringing down the towers, and even Jesse, the Body, Ventura almost believed that one, or did believe it.

But then again, where was Hillary if this had anything to it at all? Probably another loser of a story, but I do like the Obama born in Kenya thing, wouldn't that turn out to be a doozy if that one got renewed life, through more information of some kind?
OCCOM BILL

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:35 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hey Bill

You tend to be a reasonable guy.
I am. In fact; I am the man Okie professes to be. Whose politics on this site would you consider more Independent than mine? Would you pretend Okie fits that description in any way shape or form?

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I have ever read, Bill. You dislike me so much and disagree with me so much, and I am so irrational, but you now claim to be the man that fits my description of me! Speaking of irrational, Bill?
Okie, you described yourself as an Independent. I happen to be an Independent. My politics are all over the board and every rational long time poster knows this. You, on the other hand, consistently deliver a dumbed down version of Rush Limbaugh & Co... and every rational long time poster knows this too. That might not make you a bad guy, Okie, but it is true. Watch:
okie wrote:
And to think that not long after I joined this forum, I was naive enough that after reading one of your opinions that I thought was pretty reasonable, I sent you a personal message complimenting you. I regret doing that now, as you have really drifted leftward, to the point that you are getting pretty far out there, you seem to have lost your way.

Laughing Why would an Independent, as you claimed to be, object that a fellow poster has drifted leftward and why might he think that doing so constitutes evidence of getting far out there or losing his way? Hint: Only a Right-winger would write such a thing, Okie. Finn has made such remarks more than once; but would never be foolish enough to pretend he was speaking from the perspective of an Independent. He makes no apologies or denials about his politics, Okie, and I respect him much more for it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:43 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

By the way, you loved to accuse everyone of being a racist or a bigot. Now, have you moved onto your next whipping boy, gun nuts?
You're making the same idiotic mistake you did with defending the those who traffic in racism, Okie. Both Cjhsa and OmSigDavid have now openly admitted as much. See if you can figure out what else they have in common. Rolling Eyes
okie wrote:
Is everybody a gun nut now?
Nothing I wrote could be interpreted that way by a rational person.

okie wrote:
I did read that gun sales are really sky rocketing. Why would that be? I guess a bunch of irrational gun nuts!
This irrational non sequitur is of your own making, Okie.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:46 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

By the way, people, is the Obama born in Kenya business gone forever? I've seen stuff on this for a while, and more or less dismissed it, but one thing nags at that conclusion, did the Kenyan grandmother say, and is this on tape, that she was in the room when he was born there? How could this be made up? Why would she lie? Now, I am sure that if there is anything to this, the powers that be will totally expunge the record, and it could have been nothing to it, but still I find it much more intriguing and possible than Bush bringing down the towers, and even Jesse, the Body, Ventura almost believed that one, or did believe it.

But then again, where was Hillary if this had anything to it at all? Probably another loser of a story, but I do like the Obama born in Kenya thing, wouldn't that turn out to be a doozy if that one got renewed life, through more information of some kind?
You asked for an example of being irrational? Re-read this post when you're sober. (If you were sober when you wrote it, don't bother. Wink )
Walter Hinteler

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:43 am
http://i35.tinypic.com/2d6jja0.jpg

Source: Chicago Tribune, 10.11.08, page 6
blatham

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:15 am
Extraordinarily wise piece by Suskind here. I'll quote a bit of it. Two key elements are in red.
Quote:
But that's just the half of it. Much of this Herculean effort -- which will run Obama into the strongest collected interests and lobbies in Washington -- is simply to set the platform for the slow, humbling restoration of moral authority. That's as much about what we do here in the United States -- how we, again, begin to lead by example -- as it is about our actions overseas.

This is the thorniest part of the equation. The new president will have to lead the country through a process that people may know from their own lives: getting out of the doghouse. Large errors demand large responses, and not just for show. You have to mean it.

The American list of sins is long -- from Abu Ghraib to Guantanamo Bay, from human rights abuses to actual legal violations.This sort of cleansing -- of confronting the truth and taking the consequences -- is the only way to move forward on a moral arc. It is the sign of a mature country -- steady, prudent, ready to re-chart its course when needed. One worth following.

But here, at least, there's a revealing precedent for how difficult, self-correcting actions at home can, over time, improbably change world views: Watergate. In 1974, many observers were worried that President Richard M. Nixon's resignation would embolden America's enemies and send a message that the mighty United States was adrift. Someone who harbored such fears was a Nixon aide named Dick Cheney, who felt that the mistake of Watergate was that Nixon was over-briefed: Had he never been told about the break-ins, Nixon would never have been engaged in the illegal cover-up.

A quarter-century later, Cheney expanded that concept for the current president, making sure that Bush was not over-briefed so that he could, if necessary, deny his own presidential statements and dodge accountability. At day's end, it fooled no one. But the error made by Cheney and the complicit Bush was deeper -- they misread the nature of real power and misunderstood the way it flows from a truly honest conversation among leaders and, in a democracy, their bosses, the people. There is a strong consensus among historians about what the world learned from Watergate: that the rule of law in America is not a matter of convenience. In fact, under the duly constituted laws, a president is no different from the garbage collector rolling a can to his truck on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Along with the power of its example, America might finally start diverting significant funds earmarked for overwhelming force toward the goal of becoming a true humanitarian superpower. In this connected age, such efforts work as never before. To wit: The U.S. approval rating, languishing in the teens for years in the linchpin country of Pakistan, jumped to 48 percent after America's humanitarian armies arrived in Kashmir in 2005 to lead earthquake relief. A few months later, though, after a Predator drone bombed a village in the Pakistani tribal areas, killing 18 civilians, it dropped back to the teens, where it remains...

During the presidential campaign, I interviewed a London radical with suspected connections to al-Qaeda. He was particularly concerned about how Obama might be the agent of such change. "Obama would be a nightmare for us," he said. "He looks like the world, he knows Islam, his grandfather was a goat herder from Kenya, living like much of the world still lives. As president, he might finally unify the world's Muslim moderates, who outnumber us four or five to one. They know who we are, where we live. They could crush us."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110602999.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
blatham

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:52 am
Quote:
Gordon Brown today pledges to work with Barack Obama to create a new world order where 'markets need morals' and people come first, in a first real glimpse of how he plans to conduct the new special relationship.

Writing here today, the Prime Minister says that the path of history has been changed by an election in which American voters backed a progressive candidate offering more government intervention to protect families and businesses.

'It is up to us whether 2008 is remembered for a financial crash that engulfed the world or for a new resilience and optimism from a generation which faced the economic storm head-on and built the fair society in its wake,' he writes.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/09/barack-obama-gordon-brown
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:43 am
@blatham,
The second highlighted section is pure symphony, blatham.
nimh

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Great graphs, Walter.

A complementary take is here in a good reality check of Larry Bartels:

Election Debriefing
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:26 am
@okie,
Quote:
So just who am I a puppet of, spendius?

Your superego of course which has been carefully crafted by your society using your innate characteristics as the straw. You cannot escape it as I can't. The fact of the assertion of independence as a superior characteristic is quite sufficient evidence on its own to demonstrate a lack of independence.

Anybody even approaching an independent cast of mind as a result of studying the world's greates art would have difficulty getting a cigarette paper between Mr Obama and Mr McCain.

You even felt the need to resort to a jibe about my sobriety as if such a consideration has the slightest effect on the meaning of the words I wrote. That's a dead giveaway. I was sober. I usually am. It's years since I was even mildly pissed but that state can get close to true independence.

Do you seriously think that the "persuaders" spend all the money they do, and all the effort, if it is ineffective.

Your claim was one such as to position yourself, by assertion, above the masses of which you are a microscopic part. And you were conditioned to think that a wonderful thing as well. Which it isn't.

You have also been conditioned, it seems, to think that asserting that someone's words are "bull" means that they are actually bull and a satisfactory answer to those words. Which it is not.

Middle of the road is not independence.

Okay?

0 Replies

spendius

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:07 pm
@blatham,
It is extraordinarily stupid to begin an essay with the bald and bad mannered assertion that what you are about to say is "extraordinarly wise."

It is even worse when what is then said does not come close to wisdom in any way and is based entirely on hindsight and the vagaries of public opinion in Pakistan.

Liberal posturing is simply liberal posturing and somewhat pathetic when conducted from a cosy armchair where it isn't tested and if it is recourse is had to the Ignore function which is as illiberal as it gets.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:37 pm
@JPB,
JPB

It is, isn't it. The bit that has me worried is the first portion in red.