Butrflynet

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:55 pm
@okie,
Wrong again, okie. We are not emotionally joined at the hip. We don't all agree with each other or each other's methods. We spend a lot of time arguing about it. I bet there hasn't been a day in the last two years that I haven't had over 300 emails in my New Mail box, most of it duplicates or endless debates, much like this A2K message board. Some days I delete it all without reading any of it because I get sick of all the bickering; other days I skim through the subject lines and read what catches my attention and add my two cents worth. Just like we do on this message board.

The fact that you keep coming back to A2K to do the exact same thing tells me that you aren't the loner you pretend to be. Face it okie, you are a groupee!

Eorl

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:56 am
@Butrflynet,
I think okie just agreed to try to see where you are coming from, maybe deserves a little credit? Maybe not. I'm just sayin'....
sozobe

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:46 am
@Eorl,
I think you might be right, Eorl. I can't tell yet either though.

Meanwhile, the exchange between okie and Butrflynet reminded me of something I saw yesterday (an email to Andrew Sullivan):

Quote:
I worked for both the No on 8 campaign and the Obama campaign this year and cannot tell you how far apart those two were in style and substance. One was top down, the other bottom up. Ironically, it was the presidential campaign that was the grassroots model, not the state-level proposition campaign. As soon as I started working for the No on 8 campaign I was amazed at the level of scripting: "don't say 'civil rights,' don't say 'constitution,' don't say 'gay.'" I couldn't believe it.

One of the most brilliant things about the Obama campaign was that they didn't expect callers and canvassers to be policy wonks. They just said "tell your story, let people know why you're voting for him. Connect with people."

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/11/no-on-8-dont-sa.html

That was my experience too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:04 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

I will look at your stuff, and get back to you later. To be perfectly honest, I haven't paid alot of attention to the Obama organization and how it worked, but I think it is just now sinking in why you people are so emotionally joined at the hip, and all of the rest. I will explain later. Look, I am not a groupee, so alot of this I am trying to understand you people. Give me time. I look at candidates as a free thinking person, I think independently, act independently, vote independently, just me, and I form my own opinions, just a person unconnected to fellow groups or admirers of whomever. I am not part of a campaign organization in any way, except I sent some money to McCain, which I wonder was spent on Sarah's shopping sprees, but oh well. Anyway, I will be back in regard to this.

Hey okie, thanks for trying to see where others are coming from. I'll just say that I'm kind of like you -- never been registered for either party, have voted for candidates of different parties, not too comfortable in groups, and typically don't join campaigns. Like you, I sent some money in (to Obama) but I never did much else, even though I thought I probably should. I just don't have the time with two small kids, a job, and a family business. So just keep that in mind when you're looking at Btryflynet's stuff. There are all kinds of people who voted/support the president-elect.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:44 am
@okie,
Quote:
Perhaps it is dawning on me just how coordinated all of you people are, and what a voice crying in the wilderness I and other fellow citizens are?

Perhaps they will make the trains run on time okie. Organisational flair is vital for that.

One might say that getting an e-mail from a printing machine constitutes a membership card for the Party. A junior one. Probationary Apprentice Lickbottoms: Grade 111.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:57 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
And yes, I hope there are many more of us who choose to remain plugged in, and interested in the activities of our government. Why would anyone who loves our democracy want the citizens of our country to do less than that?

Oh! That's easy. Because the more clunkers who haven't a clue what they are talking about and who are " plugged in, and interested in the activities of the government" the dafter everything gets. We know that a pretence can be maintained that everything isn't getting dafter by borrowing from unto the fifth generation but pretence cannot always and forever be carried off successfully.

You get the tower of Babel and everybody talking and nobody listening. And fewer and fewer doing. Calloused hands are not popular. Except rhetorically.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:00 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
About the only email we got directly from the campaign were requests for donations.

Begging letters you mean.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:20 pm
Mississippi students told not to say Obama's name by David Edwards and Muriel Kane
Published: Friday November 7, 2008

A controversy has erupted at a Mississippi junior high school over allegations that a bus driver and a coach threatened students with punishment for saying Barack Obama's name.

The incidents became public when outraged parents called the studios of WAPT news in Pearl, Miss. Some said their children were threatened by a bus driver with being written up and taken to the principal's office, others that their children were told by a girls' basketball coach they would be suspended.

Reginald Simpson, a student at Pearl Junior High, explained that when students on the bus started saying, "Obama is our president," the bus driver told them she didn't want to hear his name. One kid said, "This is history woman," and according to Simpson, "She pulled over and kicked me and the kid off the bus." They were left waiting at the high school and later taken to their own school.

"They feel like they afraid to say who our president is, cause they afraid they going to be in trouble," Reginald's mother Canishia told WAPT. "We teach our kids not to be racist, and here it is going on. I just feel hurt by it."

The Simpson family is black. However, another mother whose son was on the bus and who also plans to confront school officials about the incident is white. "This is what the whole election was about," Venus Neagu told WAPT. "It was supporting someone. And now that they've done it and they're on the school bus, now they're getting consequences for it."

School officials reviewed video from the bus and promised that no students would be punished. The superintendent released a statement saying, "It appears that some persons, out of disappointment and disillusionment with the election may have been so frustrated that they said something inappropriate to students. We have taken appropriate steps with the bus driver and the coach."

The WAPT story is also available here.

This video is from WAPT.com, broadcast November 7, 2008.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Students_asked_not_to_say_Obamas_1107.html
Cycloptichorn

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:26 pm
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/11/the_next_president_of_the_unit.html

Awesome, large-format pics of our next prez

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:21 pm
@blueflame1,
I was once suspended by a girl's baskettball coach.

All the school buses have video cameras do they. It's a good job I was born too young. Did Mr Bush preside over school buses having surveillance? Cripes!
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:30 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I think independently, act independently, vote independently, just me, and I form my own opinions, just a person unconnected to fellow groups or admirers of whomever.

I don't think you could get any educated person to agree with such self-flattering bullshit of that nature okie.
OCCOM BILL

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:47 pm
@spendius,
I laughed out loud when I read that nonsense. Okie is perhaps A2K’s second most likely to regurgitate Rush & Co's incessant nonsense, as predictably as the setting sun. The funny part is; he appears to actually believe what he wrote. Shocked
sozobe

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Another tear-jerking column/ blog (I can't tell if it appeared in the paper -- I didn't see it until a friend sent it to me). I saw the same photo and had similar thoughts:

http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/title/
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:58 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
http://theneoteric.net/pix/newspaper.jpg

OCCOM BILL

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 10:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Hey Bill

You tend to be a reasonable guy.

Why ridicule Okie?

Because he has no use for Obama?

Obviously, I haven't read 100% of Okie's postings, but I've read enough to reach the conclusion that while he is opinionated (and who in this effin forum is not?) he is very rarely irrational, and almost never obnoxious.

Now compare his posts to your new found Obama Supporter friends like Setanta, snood, Cyclo, and CI? (Friends who, not so long ago, were prepared to piss on your grave)

It sure must be tempting to welcome the embrace of your former foes, because your opinions just happen to intersect. We all want to be liked.

Witness all the love Bi-Po is now receiving thanks to his change of heart and support of Obama.

People that damned him to the 7th circle of Hell now want to assure him it's all cool.

If he wants to accept their specious shift, that's up to him, but beware the fickle friends you have recently found.

blatham

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Now compare his posts to your new found Obama Supporter friends like Setanta, snood, Cyclo, and CI? (Friends who, not so long ago, were prepared to piss on your grave)

Oh, regardless of all else, my plans to piss on bill's grave remain intact.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
Andrew Sullivan makes an interesting observation regarding what the Republicans and the conservative movement need now...

...Hope!
spendius

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:05 am
@blatham,
Is that the Andrew Sullivan who is gay, a Catholic, a conservative and not a US citizen?
OCCOM BILL

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hey Bill

You tend to be a reasonable guy.
I am. In fact; I am the man Okie professes to be. Whose politics on this site would you consider more Independent than mine? Would you pretend Okie fits that description in any way shape or form?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Why ridicule Okie?
Because his claim was as ridiculous as it would be for Foxy, or CI to make. Completely ridiculous.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Because he has no use for Obama?
Convenient as that might be to assume, no. I fairly consistently ridicule unwarranted attacks on any candidate, including both Obama and McCain in this last cycle.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Obviously, I haven't read 100% of Okie's postings, but I've read enough to reach the conclusion that while he is opinionated (and who in this effin forum is not?) he is very rarely irrational, and almost never obnoxious.
I’ll grant you innocence in being opinionated and rarely obnoxious; but dissent on the issue of irrational. He fairly consistently believes and repeats some of the most absurd crap that comes out of Rush’s mouth. Stuff that you, with your strong partisan convictions, would never believe let alone repeat.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Whatever “friendship” may exist there; I assure you is independent of politics… though there may exist some shades of mutual respect… just as there exists some between you and I.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It sure must be tempting to welcome the embrace of your former foes, because your opinions just happen to intersect. We all want to be liked.
Sure, we all like to be liked, and I’m sure I tend to be gentler in disagreement with those I do; but my politics do not, and never have, pay any mind to any such allegiances. For instance, post election; my criticism of Cyclo’s behavior has been much more crisp than any I’ve offered for Okie. I doubt Set would cross the street to piss on me if I were on fire, and CI’s been rude to me since well before Nov. 4th. If I’m supposed to be encouraging the embraces you imagine; I’m pretty lousy at doing so. In truth, of course, I don’t bend my politics one iota for such purposes… and you damn well know it.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Witness all the love Bi-Po is now receiving thanks to his change of heart and support of Obama.

People that damned him to the 7th circle of Hell now want to assure him it's all cool.
While I never damned him to the 7th circle of Hell, I’m no more impressed with his drama today than I was in the primaries. You, in fact, have offered a more questionable hand of friendship than I ever have. Whatever esteem (or lack thereof) I do hold him in, has nothing to do with his political choices.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If he wants to accept their specious shift, that's up to him, but beware the fickle friends you have recently found.
Pure silliness, Finn. Whatever mutual respect I may share with the likes of Blatham, for instance; is as independent from considerations of mutual agreement on politics (and his are usually terrible) as whatever mutual respect I share with you. I was Independent when I signed on to A2K, and am no less so today. This has hardly served to increase my popularity, because I get it from the less intellectually endowed from both sides. I am frequently accused of being a bleeding heart liberal on one thread, while being accused of being heartless fascist on another. These idiotic accusation; have altered my politics not one iota… and you damn well know it.

Aside: The only thing this election changed; is that my suspicions that certain members were covertly racist have become certainties as their disappointment resulted in more overt examples of same. Those using the term O-boy should know damn well the use of racist insults will mark them as racists. Hell, Cjhsa came right out and called me a White Trash Nigger Lover. Anonymous cowards will forever hide behind their anonymity, and isn’t it interesting that gun nuts in general seem to show an increased propensity for racism?