okie

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:40 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Your logical leaps are so far beyond reason, I’ve no choice but to consider you irrational. It takes a special kind of man to be afraid of utterly unsupported wild guesses.

Who is Obama? Do you know, Bill? Are you talking about the same guy that is good friend of Bill Ayers, the same bomber guy that has killed people and dedicated one of his books to Sirhan Sirhan, Robert Kennedy's assassin? Just making sure we are talking about the same guy, Bill? But I guess all of this is only propaganda, right, not reality, huh Bill?

Pat Caddell I guess is also irrational, Bill?

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/10/31/ayers-dedicated-his-book-to-sirhan-sirhan/
blueflame1

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:43 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
hahaha. Happy halloween to you and Doc. Gonna be a happy 4th.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 04:56 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Let me answer this one for Bill, Okie: Yes.

It's not much of a surprise that you'd turn to another Fox News talking head for guidance though.

In general, No Quarter is to the Hillary camp what the Free Republic was to the Republicans. Utter, unhinged wingnuttery. Why anyone would go to places like those for reliable information beats me.

Specifically, Pat Codell is noted for delivering such zingers as that the New York Times is like "the czar's secret police" (he also called the 9-11 Commission "an annoying distraction"). He predicted that the Democrats are "standing at the verge of following the Whigs into history, of disappearing overnight if they keep this up" - and that was in 1992.

Fox and co like to trot the guy out as a "Democratic strategist" or a "long-time Democratic pollster," and the man himself likes to refer to "my party" when he goes off on another rant about the Democrats, but he hasnt actually been involved in any Democratic campaign or party function in sixteen years. For a lovely Pat Codell paradox that seems a propos here somehow, check this:

Quote:
"I'm a Democrat and I'm a liberal Democrat. But I'll tell you, I've said to the party before and I said it in speeches, paranoia is going to kill this party. By the way, what I want to know is how much of the press seems to take its instructions from Terry McAuliffe and the DNC

LOL.
Butrflynet

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:03 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Here's the direct link to the youtube page for it. She's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh9BmNuqeiQ

Don't speak for me Sarah Palin
The truth is I do not like you
My kid plays hockey and I'm his momma
But I am voting Barack Obama.
Vietnamnurse

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Mille grazie, Butryflynet! (just got back from bella Italia) I am going to phone bank in Leesburg, VA tomorrow for Obama. It has been red country, but who knows? I never got the chance to go to Camp Obama...life got in the way and I was so disappointed. Nevertheless, I have really been working hard in PA and VA. MD doesn't need my help...we help others! I have missed you all...

A big hello to Soz and Blatham and Blueflame. Did you have the gettogether for A2K in Austin? If you did, durn!!!!
Diest TKO

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:01 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Obama to finish his campaign here in VA on moday in Manassas. I have off. I think I'm going to go.

T
K
O
sozobe

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:30 pm
@Diest TKO,
Hi Vietnamnurse!

Go, Diest!

Obama will be here Sunday. Gates open 11 AM, program starts 1 PM. My kid's last soccer game of the season is 12:45 PM. Arrggghhh...

I've seen every other game so may work it out to have someone else bring her, I dunno. Or maybe she'll skip the game if she really wants to go with me.

So far I purposely missed one Obama appearance because nobody would go with me and I was busy and I figured he'd be back before election day, and a Michelle appearance (fill-in for Barack, who was in Hawaii with his grandma at the time) because I was sick.
spendius

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:39 pm
@sozobe,
Bed rest is the thing for that soz. Calm, warm, comforting charping in the pit.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:44 pm
@sozobe,
I almost envy your childlike adoration.
nimh

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, cause everybody knows that actually being enthusiastic about your candidate of your choice - you know, being excited to hear him speak, eager to help him be elected, that kind of thing - automatically makes you "childlike"...
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:32 pm
@nimh,
Nimh you cynic.

What is wrong with being childlike?
snood

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 06:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn old shoe,
I think what's wrong is something about your purporting to "almost admire" it. Nothing wrong with being childlike. Or hopeful. Or faithful. Or innocent.

Just with condescending disingenuous damning faint praise.

But you know that.

You really do suck.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 06:49 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Here's the direct link to the youtube page for it. She's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh9BmNuqeiQ

Ha, that was great! Smile Thanks.

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:38 am
h/t to Andrew Sullivan...
Quote:
M c C A I N ' S R E J E C T E D
R O B O - C A L L S C R I P T S .

BY JASON SILVERSTEIN
- - - -

"Hello. I'm calling for John McCain and the RNC because you need to know that Barack Obama has not accepted Joe the Plumber's friend request on Facebook. We know he's logged on, because we saw he changed his status on Monday. On Tuesday, he joined the group Art Historians Are Saucy. But he still won't accept Joe the Plumber's friend request. He knows it's Joe. Joe uses the screen shot of the two of them together as his profile picture. That's not a uniter. That's the same old liberal-elite politics as usual."
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/10/27silverstein.html

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, Oct 30/08
Quote:
Re: sozobe (Post 3457275)
I almost envy your childlike adoration.

Finn, Nov3/04
Quote:
Unlike some of my friends on this thread, I like Bush, and I voted for him rather than against Kerry.

He thinks big, and I like big thinkers.

It's always seemed ironic to me that members of the Left who so often preach that we must attack the roots of terrorism as much or more than we attack the terrorists, have been incapable of seeing that this is precisely what Bush is doing in Iraq.

I look for more big things from Bush over the next four years, and in the event that someone derides this notion, I will be more than happy to gloat.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think being involved in the democratic process, feeling engaged with the choices at hand, finding candidates whom you genuinely feel excited about and will even work to support, is the very stuff democracy is based on. It's what makes it work. It's not "childlike"; it's the essence of democratic citizenship.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
from the New Yorker (noted at Hullabaloo)
Quote:
I don’t know that it was always this way, but, for as long as I can remember, just as we move into the final weeks of the Presidential campaign the focus shifts to the undecided voters. “Who are they?” the news anchors ask. “And how might they determine the outcome of this election?”

Then you’ll see this man or woman" someone, I always think, who looks very happy to be on TV. “Well, Charlie,” they say, “I’ve gone back and forth on the issues and whatnot, but I just can’t seem to make up my mind!” Some insist that there’s very little difference between candidate A and candidate B. Others claim that they’re with A on defense and health care but are leaning toward B when it comes to the economy.

I look at these people and can’t quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention?

To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of **** with bits of broken glass in it?”

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2008/10/27/081027sh_shouts_sedaris
spendius

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:44 am
@blatham,
We are led to believe that the New Yorker is written for intelligent people. We have obviously been misled. I can't think of one editor here who would pass that humourless padding for publication.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:08 pm
This could swing voters to McBushie. "Dick Cheney Endorses McCain?

"In three days we'll choose a new steward for the presidency and begin a new chapter in our history," the Vice President said Saturday morning. "It's the biggest decision that we make together as Americans. A lot turns on the outcome. I believe the right leader for this moment in history is Senator John McCain." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/01/dick-cheney-endorses-mcca_n_139990.html
0 Replies

okie

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:47 pm
@nimh,
nimh, I think where you guys on the other side of politics get it all wrong is that you think I am an example of getting my ideas from Fox News or Rush Limbaugh, or whoever you like to use. Nothing can be further from the truth. I simply quote people that verbalize what I think already, based on what I have found to be pretty sound reasoning.

For what its worth, have been reading a bit of WWII history lately, and needless to say, alot is disturbing. I see so many people these days walking around clueless, not aware of history, not aware of reality, not aware of the basic evils of men, not aware of what America has stood for and should still stand for, I see alot of people like sheep heading over a cliff. Obama comes along at the perfect time, perfect for him, a vulnerable voting public, ripe for the taking - - by a demagogue. History is rife with those that think some things cannot happen again, and that the good life comes on a silver platter.

Voters will only deserve a reflection of what they are, their leaders mirror themselves. An unrealistic public will vote for an unrealistic person that promises unrealistic expectations, and that is about where we are at right now. Alot of the posters, and apparently you, also fit that category just described, you are looking for the messiah to come along in the body of a politician.

I give McCain a chance, but not that great at this point, if the polls are to be believed, but who really knows. I know for sure most of the people I talk to have let the answering machines answer pollsters, and then they delete them, routinely.