blueflame1

Thu 23 Oct, 2008 11:49 am
Early voting in Evansville

Here's an early voting story from a medical student in Evansville, Ind.:

I squeaked in just before the 7pm deadline to find two very frustrated poll workers and a line of a couple dozen people, due to problems with the computerized voting system not accepting people's driver's licenses. It was taking about 7-10 minutes per person just to get the computer to accept them as valid and to print out their ballot, causing very long delays.

For me the most moving moment came when the family in front of me, comprising probably 4 generations of voters (including an 18 year old girl voting for her first time and a 90-something hunched-over grandmother), got their turn to vote. When the old woman left the voting booth she made it about halfway to the door before collapsing in a nearby chair, where she began weeping uncontrollably. When we rushed over to help we realized that she wasn't in trouble at all but she had not truly believed, until she left the booth, that she would ever live long enough to cast a vote for an African-American for president. Anyone who doesn't think that African-American turnout will absolutely SHATTER every existing record is in for a very rude surprise.

There were about 20 people in front of me but remarkably not a single person left the room without voting over the 2 hours it took to get through the line.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/Early_voting_in_Evansville.html?showall
JPB

Thu 23 Oct, 2008 11:58 am
@blueflame1,
very heartwarming, bf1

I'm glad she lived to see the day.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x280/icebergslim1047/october%202008/october%2019/indiana-indianapolis10.jpg

35,000 Hoosiers at Obama rally

You can read his prepared speech here:

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS - Sen. Barack Obama has just finished his political rally, exhorting a crowd of thousands in Downtown Indianapolis to vote Democratic and make Indiana a "blue state" for the first time since the 1964 presidential election.

The Democratic presidential nominee told the crowd his economic policies would protect the rights of working Americans while restoring balance and fairness to the tax code. He blasted the approach of his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain as amounting to "Wall Street first, Main Street last."

Obama spoke on a raised stage before a blue "Change" banner bordered by U.S. and Indiana flags. Frequently the crowd interrupted him with chants of "Yes we can, yes we can."

Obama, a U.S. senator from Illinois, is trying to become the first Democratic presidential nominee since Lyndon Johnson in 1964 to carry Indiana - which brings with it 11 electoral votes. He urged Hoosier voters to break with tradition.

"If we can spend $10 billion a month rebuilding Iraq, we can spend some money rebuilding America," Obama told the crowd.

Supporters lined up on a chilly fall morning well before the gates opened, and thousands filled the open-air field at American Legion Mall, four blocks north of Monument Circle in Downtown Indianapolis, to hear the nominee.

To Obama's right was the massive spire of the Scottish Rite Cathedral, and before him he could see the imposing edifice of the Indiana World War Memorial in the distance. Behind him were four columns, capped with gold eagles, comprising a veterans memorial complex.

In scheduling the Indianapolis rally this morning, Obama canceled two others as he reshuffled his campaign itinerary, in order to fly to Hawaii later today to visit his gravely ill 85-year-old grandmother, the campaign announced.

With just 12 days left before the Nov. 4 election between Republican nominee McCain and Democratic nominee Obama, typically "red-state" Indiana finds itself thrust into an unexpected role as a battleground state. Several warmup speakers mentioned turmoil in the economy and stock market.

After the rally ended, many in the crowd marched to an early voting location nearby to cast their ballots in advance of the Nov. 4 election.
blatham

Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:53 pm
Quote:
Former Bush press secretary backs Obama

Former Bush press secretary Scott McClellan backs Obama

DAVID BAUDER
AP News

Oct 23, 2008 17:01 EST

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/10/former_bush_press_secretary_ba.php
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for a good laugh Buttie.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:34 pm
This is pretty cute too...

Quote:
James Carville once famously referred to Pennsylvania as Pittsburgh on the west, Philadelphia on the east and Alabama in between. I think that was his way of sort of mimicking what John Murtha said. But it's a conservative part of the state. And then if you take the far southwestern corner, over there near Pittsburgh and the suburbs, that's coal country and that's the kind of people who really do cling to their guns and their faith.”
Karl Rove

http://crooksandliars.com/
spendius

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:43 pm
@blatham,
Cripes Bernie--that's "cute" is it?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
I just wanted to pass on this terribly sad news regarding the founder of Freedom's Watch...
Quote:
Last update - 12:46 25/10/2008

World's richest Jew loses billions in wake of global financial crisis

By TheMarker

Tags: Sheldon Adelson, LVS

U.S. Jewish billionaire Sheldon Adelson lost an approximated $10 billion in October, after shares in his Las Vegas Sands (LVS) corporation fell by 80% since the beginning of the month, according to an assessment made by "Forbes" magazine.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1031229.html
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:32 am
IRONY FUN WITH BILL KRISTOL

From his column at the Weekly Standard this morning...

Quote:
McCain Versus the Juggernaut
We stand with him.
by William Kristol
11/03/2008, Volume 014, Issue 08

It's always darkest before it goes totally black. This is one of John McCain's favorite remarks, ascribed (apocryphally, it seems) to Chairman Mao. Well, with 10 days to go before the election, it's getting pretty dark out there.

Still, we hope for a McCain-Palin victory, for the sake of the country. And also for the pleasure of seeing the dejection of the mainstream media, the incredulity of the leftwing triumphalists, and the humiliation of the pathetically opportunistic "conservatives" who've been desperately clambering on board the Obama juggernaut. We're proud to stay off that juggernaut. We're proud, in our modest way, to stand with John McCain and Sarah Palin against it.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/737mifbf.asp

So, these two guys are wrestling near the edge of the Grand Canyon and the fight goes one way with one fellow barely hanging on and then it goes the other way and finally one guy goes over the edge. And on the way down, he thinks to himself, "Sheeeeittt! Wouldn't it have been FUN to see that guy heading down towards the rocks!"

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:13 am
@blatham,
How does this (your post) make sense?

You have become, indeed, the personification of the smug, self-absorbed, elitist left.

Your criticism of Kristol is pathetically reflexive and, sadly, ill conceived.
blatham

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm starting to feel that pride of folks who found their names on Nixon's Enemy List, finn.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:56 am
A note...I've seen really no acknowledgement of Howard Dean's background role in this election. I hope that gets corrected.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:53 pm
Opie and Andy and the Fonz...good ol americans...
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cc65ed650d
0 Replies

nicole415

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:08 pm
@Asherman,
Asherman, what do you know about Obama supporters? How many Obama events have you been to and how many Obam supporters have you actually met and talked to IRL?

Probably none I would guess. The fact is Obama's supporters are as diverse as the entire American culture.

okie wrote:
Re: Cycloptichorn (Post 3447049)
The Obama movement is based upon emotional connection, a malcontent appealing to the unhappy and malcontents out there, that want what somebody else has, not based on that of reason, cyclops. I hope you have a wonderful day, cyclops, I hope electing Obama will give you a sense of validation and happiness? I have pretty much given up on the malcontents. I will cast my vote for McCain Palin, but beyond that, I have no power over any of this, but don't say your weren't warned. And I will not cut out expressing my opinion. You would love to shut me up I am sure, but as long as I am free to do it, I will talk. If I reach just one person, it will have been worth it.

That is quote an interesting perspective calling the 90% of the nation who are unhappy with the way the country is going as "malcontents."

BTW you aren't reaching anyone with your tripe that is anyone who hasn't already got the swill you post from it's source i.e. right-wing talk radio, Fox
Noise etc.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/ls3.jpg]
0 Replies

nicole415

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Is elitist wingnut code for anyone with an IQ higher than Sarh Palin and more cognitive function the John McInsane?
0 Replies

nicole415

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:27 pm
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/45525/original.jpg

100,000 in Denver, McCain draws 2000 in Iowa which begs the question why is the demented **** in Iowa?
blatham

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:16 am
For your delectation, or amazement, or whatever your response might be to something so extra-planetary, Andrew Sullivan notes this Weekly Standar piece on McCain...
Quote:
"There is no single English word for McCain the hero, the moral entity. But in Hebrew he would be called a tsaddik"a man of such nobility and moral substance that he approaches holiness. If this assertion sounds crazy, that only shows how little we have thought about the issue," - David Gelernter, Weekly Standard.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/752wrmfx.asp
sozobe

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:27 am
@blatham,
Yeah, that was.... whooo!

Maybe three weeks ago, I was looking at the Pollster charts as per usual and saw that big old blue line marked "election day." And saw how very close that line was. I had this panic reaction -- somersaulting tummy, speeded-up heartrate, etc. So soon! We're so used to the stops along the way -- Obama won Iowa but it wasn't the end, Obama lost New Hampshire but that wasn't the end, and on and on and on. This has been such a long strange trip and it's actually almost over.

Since then though I seem to have become more resigned, more used to the idea that E-day fast approaches. I'm peeved at all the pre-mortems and all the assumptions that Obama will win -- but I simultaneously have to admit that as of right now it looks pretty good. I've been saying "there's a lot of time left" for so long... now there's only a week left! Is that really enough time to shake things up substantially?

Yes... in the sense that anything could still happen. Maybe an Obama gaffe, maybe a McCain argument that finally resonates, maybe an outside event like Bin Laden finally being captured (though would people be swayed by that or just assume it was staged for McCain's benefit?).

But increasingly, for the last couple of weeks, it mostly just feels like a waiting game. Obama still has a pretty good lead. No gaffes today. McCain doesn't seem to be connecting yet. One week left...
blatham

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:39 am
@sozobe,
LOL...yeah, I know.

But that minimal and fast-shrinking window really does reduce the chances to near zero that some significant event might alter the course here. I can no longer even imagine what such an event might be (whereas earlier, many looked possible).

My greater concern now is that the wave won't be so overwhelming as I expect it to be. Or that election day and post will see a launch of legal actions which might work in tandem with a concerted PR project to invalidate the result and, thus, Obama's presidency.

The right is now, quite evidently and pervasively, setting up this invalidation meme. Thus I hope for a very thorough crushing which will make this project that much more difficult to sustain.

0 Replies

snood

Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:47 am
Hmm that's funny - I don't have any problem of all imagining some sets of circumstances that could still overturn Obama's apple cart.

Mainly that some combination of state officials, republican "operatives", voter purging and outright suppression of votes by any means could still make this a lot closer on election day than any of us expect from the way everything's trending.

I gotta tell ya, the memory of going to bed thinking Gore won and then waking to find Bush as newly elected POTUS is still too fresh in my consciousness to believe anything until the fat lady sings, takes her bows, hails a cab, goes home, showers and goes to bed. And even then I won't feel secure until 24 hours passes after a positive outcome in this election.