Wed 27 Aug, 2008 04:56 pm
@nicole415,
That's 17,999,999 to go.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:26 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

according to what I've seen and heard over the years there are googobs of black people who PASSIONATELY don't want McCain and didn't want Hillary to be president

Did they passionately not want Hillary to be president -- or did they just passionately want Obama as president?

Semantics, I know, but there's a difference. Up until Obama really broke through the barrier of being seen as having a realistic chance, after Iowa, blacks were overwhelmingly supporting Hillary. So I dont think there was much of an anti-Hillary vote among blacks.

What there was, I think, or came to be once there was a trust that he could actually make it, was a passionate vote for Obama. And then as the campaign grew bitter, resentments grew. And even that is far more relative than the media would like to make it seem; the Clintons' favourability ratings among blacks may have dropped from an untoppable 90% to something more like 60% or 70%, but they still are among the highest among the different demographic groups; higher than among whites I'd bet.

So I think the equation you're trying to make is wrong. There wasnt from some kind of a priori passionate aversion to vote for Hillary among blacks -- let alone to vote for a white person period. Hell, they've done exactly that for as long as there's been elections... Meanwhile, there just are a bunch of white voters who wont vote for Obama because they cant bring themselves to vote for a black guy. You only need to look at the exit polls of the Dem primaries - a steady share voted for Hillary and said race played a role in their choice; a clearly larger share than those who said they voted for Obama and that race played a role in their decision. And that's the Dems, and the more politically conscious part of them at that. Thats just not the same thing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:55 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

It's a done deal baby!!! Whooo-hooo. I so wish my father and mother were here for this!
Very Happy
Lash

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
As Bill said elsewhere...it's a beautiful night....chillbumps.
sozobe

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:10 pm
@Lash,
Beautiful.

Very Happy

(High fives all around...)
nicole415

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
What a beautiful day and night so far, and Biden hasn't spoke yet!
Lash

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@sozobe,
Did you hear the music Bill chose as his exit...? "It's a Beautiful Day" by U2....<rubbing chillbumps>
0 Replies

nicole415

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:59 am
@nicole415,
...and Biden steps up to the plate and hits a Grand Slam!

spendius

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:25 am
@nicole415,
Goodness gracious! I never thought of politics in rosy tints.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:48 am
@eoe,
If you see a boy give him a dollar. Wink
BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:49 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Hey, [img][/img]Bear! I see you got your name back! How did you do it?

How do you like my new avatar? Here's a larger size of the abstract Bumble Bee:

http://www.lorenadams.com/abstracts/Bumble-bee-Music[img][/img]

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:57 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Bear, I screwed up my post and can't edit it.

Hey, Bear! I see you got your name back! How did you do it?

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:00 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Bear, how do you like my new abstract bumble bee avatar? Here is the large version of it.

http://www.lorenadams.com/abstracts/Bumble-bee-Music.jpg

I have not figured out yet how to get the image to appear.

I like Lorena Adam's abstracts.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lorenadams.com/abstracts/Bumble-bee-Music.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lorenadams.com/abstracts/&h=549&w=537&sz=360&hl=en&start=277&usg=__CPCNZF6WMRihxyTgTMorbEhyMz0=&tbnid=v_yi-lHc9Ua4nM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbumble%2Bbee%26start%3D260%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ie%3DUTF-8

BBB
Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I like it very much.... of course I did a lot of acid back in the day Wink

The ever watchful hamsters got me into my true identity. Props to them.
0 Replies

rabel22

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:40 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB Ill have to take your word thats a bee. I almost went blind trying to see the bee but if you like it its fine with me.
sozobe

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:31 pm
@rabel22,
This is cool!

How much of a tax cut will you get under Obama's plan?

http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/
spendius

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:34 pm
@sozobe,
Whatever Mr Obama feels is necessary to get him elected I should think.
0 Replies

McTag

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm

I liked the headline in the Jon Stewart Show

"Guess Who's Coming to Denver?"
0 Replies

okie

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:00 am
From the convention thread, I think my short analysis sums it all up pretty good, so post it here, and I include a portion of what firefly wrote, which I think may sum up many Obama supporter sentiments:

firefly wrote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, I did not feel any emotional impact from the speech that Obama then gave. I wanted him to sweep me off my feet, and help me put aside my regrets that Hillary wasn't standing on that stage in his place. I wanted him to dispel my lingering doubts about his lack of experience. I wanted him to show me how he would rally people to prevent another Republican take-over of the White House. But, for me, those things just didn't happen last night. He gave a perfectly adequate speech, for the circumstances, but it fell far short of being inspiring or even revealing. He did not say what I needed to hear.

Actually, alot of his laundry list sounded pretty Republicanish. For all the talk about change, when he finally gets to specifics, it sounded pretty much like same old same old run of the mill stuff, which actually is comforting to me, because all of this change stuff means what, change to what? I happen to think the country is a pretty good place now, and so whats all the beating of the chest for change?

He talked about the opportunities he had, he is living proof what a poor kid born into a poor family could achieve in this country, through education and work. So why run down the country, after knowing what you can achieve? Sheesh, what more can a country do for a person, guarantee a monthly paycheck for doing nothing? So I think his entire speech proved his change mantra to be pretty vaccuous and always has been pretty empty, nothing more than a chant to work up the emotions, and when his laundry list was ticked off, big deal, we are back to tweaking a pretty good system, not changing it entirely.

But underneath it all, there is the lurking suspicion that he really does have something more than tweaking the system, but he isn't rolling it out now, which makes him less than honest. Which brings us back to the question, Who is Obama?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:55 am
Goodbye Mr Obama.