Daddy Bush's "Favorite Son" Is "The World's Greatest Politic

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 06:35 pm
The Sydney Morning Herald.au http://tinyurl.com/c6w49

Daddy Bush's "Favorite Son" Is "The World's Greatest Politician",

Hillary Clinton may be the preferred leader of the free world, but her husband still rules the globe. Michael Gawenda reports.

THERE are few truly magical moments in politics in the United States and in recent times, such moments, rare as they have been, have all involved Bill Clinton, who has transcended the bitter divisions of American politics to emerge, in retirement, as the best-loved politician in the country. Perhaps even the world.

Everywhere he goes - and he seems to go everywhere - the Clinton magic is on display.

Take the funeral last week of Coretta Scott King, the widow of civil rights leader, Martin Luther King. In the vast church auditorium in Atlanta, in front of an audience of more than 6000 people, Clinton stole the show.

Clinton, unlike Bush, spoke without a prepared speech. He leant forward on the lectern and picked out people in the audience for the Clinton charm treatment. The standing ovation, the cheering, the weeping lasted for what seemed like ages.

Two weeks earlier, at the Davos economic forum, Clinton was the star turn, the man with the answers to all the world's problems, the policy wonk who knew everything about everything, from the challenges of climate change to Iran's nuclear ambitions to the growing wealth gap between rich and poor nations.

After Katrina Clinton travelled to New Orleans and hugged everyone in sight, and then more in sorrow than in anger said the political response to the disaster had been "shameful".

Despite the fact that the convention at the United Nations is not to appoint a secretary-general from any of the permanent members of the Security Council, speculation continues about the possibility that Clinton will replace Kofi Annan when he steps down at the end of the year.

Eat your hearts out Righties!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 567 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
Hey Maggie!!

Yea, I always felt good after a Clinton talk/speech. He had a calm confident easy way ... he was cool!

Anon
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:55 pm
... & he sounds kind of intelligent! That is so refreshing & so novel, these days! <sigh>
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:15 pm
Once he forgot his notes for a speech. He spoke for 45 minutes without them and was applauded throughout.

Not many can do that.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:45 pm
Actually I think you might be speaking about the 1994 State of the Union address. I have read on several occasions that Clinton could talk for hours without a script and he knew his facts and figures too. A friend was just helping me find that 1994 speech yesterday. Here's his comment and the link.....................

It's the 1994 State of the Union. You'll see that one of the very first comments he made was about the Teleprompter. According to Gore Vidal it was out for about 8 minutes. You could not tell where the teleprompter finally caught up with him!

Imagine his successor, Blinky the Wonder Prez talking off the top of his head about any subject at all for 8 minutes. America would see a bowel movement so massive, Bush would be lucky to have any bones left.
President Clinton
1994 State of the Union Address

Thank you very much. Mr. Speaker, Mr. President, members of the 103rd
Congress, my fellow Americans: I'm not at all sure what speech is in the
TelePrompTer tonight, but I hope we can talk about the State of the
Union.

http://janda.org/politxts/State%20of%20Union%20Addresses/preface.html

These speeches should be archived some place online.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:00 pm
Magginkat wrote:
Imagine his successor, Blinky the Wonder Prez talking off the top of his head about any subject at all for 8 minutes. America would see a bowel movement so massive, Bush would be lucky to have any bones left.

You're right, that's hilarious ... That boy would be shittin' his pants bigtime! They'd have to go to commercial just to clean up the mess!! Laughing

Anon
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:52 am
No one ever called Bush "Slick Georgie."
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:53 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
No one ver called Bush "Slick Georgie."

Not even "Oil Slick Georgie", coz if I remember correctly, his oil firm failed.
0 Replies