Did Walt Disney hate his mother?

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:31 pm
Anyone else think that Disney movies have an extremely high percentage of no mom present, mom gets killed and/or evil step mother?

Here is a list of movies that I am aware of: Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Bambi, The Fox and the Hound, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Finding Nemo, Chicken Little. And those are just the cartoons.

Anyone ever hear if he had some sort of negative relationship with his mother or a step mother?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,485 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:37 pm
Cindarella derives from the French tale, La Cendrion, and was nearly a thousand years old when Walt Disney was born. The Little Mermaid is a Hans Christian Anderson story, which also was written before Disney was born. However, what is significant about The Little Mermaid, as well as Beauty and the Beast (another French tale much older than Disney). Pocahontas, Finding Neo and Chicken Little is that they are all films made after Walt Disney died.

Whatever made you think that this was a reasonable point of view?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:42 pm
Now, he did hate cats, and love dogs. Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmations, etc.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:43 pm
I understand where the tales dervived from, but who thought it was a good idea to capture mothers in such a light? Wouldn't it make sense to use tales for young children that are more positive?

Besides are you are really taking me seriously? Can't you tell I am having a little fun with the subject?

To be fair there has been a couple of incidents where daddy bites it - The Lion King for instance and on Lilo and Stitch both mom and dad are gone. To be exactly correctly as apparantely Sentana wants me to be - does the disney corporation has a fixation with death? Seems a bit grisly for subject matter geared towards young children.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:43 pm
Aristocats - I guess he does like cats and in 101 Dalmations there was a cat that helped the dogs out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:47 pm
A fascination with death is central to children's songs and faovrite tales for many a long century . . . i'd think it more likely that the Disney company simply exploits what is successful . . .
Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:49 pm
Inhabiting a world without adults leaves a child free to have adventures and to be heroic.

Most Fairy Tales begin with a death.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:22 pm
well, the original fairy tales are butchered enough to fit the hollywood happy ending scenarios already. if they also leave out the evil step mothers, etc... it would have no resemblance to original stories at all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 06:59 pm
Im thinking that most of Disneys feature films (human version) had supportive mothers who did housework in fashionable dresses , except for Ole Yeller.

Steven Spielberg, now there is one phucked up mutha
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
Linkat, I recall hearing that same theory about Disney many years ago. Something to research on a slow day.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
Probably everybody who has been in therapy starts off with, "I hate my mother." Lets admit it, in our isolated households the two parents have a huge influence on the children opposed to the ancient or primitive villages where the influence of the other villagers was more intense and even mollifying to the child of bad parents.

Most families are probably dysfunctional, and that many families have only one parent makes this even more likely.

And hate is only a cover up for need.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Well, he probably was fixated at the oral stage, and hence hated his mother.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:47 pm
Well you know that he and Roy killed her......
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
The original Menendez bros...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:27 pm
That's true boomerang. Didn't his mom actually die of some sort of gas problem or something in her house. Sounds like a possibility.

As far as non-cartoon movies - wasn't Mary Poppins one of the first? And weren't the children motherless in that too? Also Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:29 pm
dagmarka - they do some changes from the original stories - Hunchback lived in the Disney version.

I also heard that the first full movie length Snow White was actually geared for adults. Not sure on that though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:32 pm
Walt and Roy had a fancy new house built for her after their smashing success with Snow White.

The heater was installed wrong and she died of asphyxiation less than a month after moving in.

Walt always blamed himself for her death.

And when you think about all of the wild and wonderful things this man was able to imagine and have built it kind of makes sense that he'd kick himself over something so simple that led to something so tragic.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
Honestly I don't think Walt is a bad man (and actually enjoy the movies) - but most of the movies are sort of grim aren't they? They seem like they would cause huge nightmares and concerns about mom being killed. I do frequently get the "Where is their mom?" question. I thought of a good one for Bambi - it was time for Bambi to be with his dad and learn how to be a "prince" deer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:49 pm
I LOVE Walt Disney. He's one of my heros.

I think orphans go beyond the realm of Disney. Look at Harry Potter and the Lemony Snicket books - both about orphans and both very very popular right now.

I think what Noddy says is right and there was a thread a while back where she really expanded on the notion of the importance of missing parents in kid fiction.

And, maybe for once I'll get off easy with Mo as his "Where is MY mom?" has been addressed to death. Other people not having "Mom" might not seem so weird to him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:11 pm
I was joking about Freud, Linkat, but I found this interesting site:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/drugs.htm

and where did the term, "red headed step child" originate.
0 Replies