Canada Anti-Semitism And Hate

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
Legal/Legislative Remedies and Current Realities
Racism, Anti-Semitism and Hate in Canada

Karen R. Mock
National Director of the League for Human Rights of B'nai B'rith Canada

It has been well documented that racism and hate propaganda have long been part of the Canadian experience. Native peoples were deprived of their lands and marginalized in poverty by Canadian society. Today,' aboriginal land claims and the quest for self-government occupy a significant part of the current political agenda of most Canadian provinces. There is also evidence of rampant anti-Semitism in the early days of Canada. Regular attacks on Judaism and the Jewish community appeared in Semaine religieuse de Quebec and other religious publications, and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion were promoted by various religious leaders in Canada. From 1910 through the 1940s prominent Canadians were associated with virulent anti-Semitism, which included justifying Russian pogroms against the Jews, openly praising Hitler's charismatic leadership, and denying safety in Canada to Jews who were fleeing Nazi persecution. Other minority groups also suffered hate propaganda, notably the Sikhs and Chinese.

Canada also witnessed the rise of hate groups during the pre-war years. The 1920s and 1930s saw the development of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) and the roots of the Western Guard and Aryan Nations. Such groups promoted hatred against Catholics, Blacks and Jews; signs along the beaches or other places in Toronto or Montreal often read "No Jews or Dogs Allowed."

There was a postwar decline in overt racism and anti-Semitism. However, with the increase in immigration, the relaxation in immigration regulations, and the policies of multiculturalism and bilingualism, hate group activity and hate propaganda increased. In the 1990s there were several KKK-style crossburnings throughout the country; and the Klan was implicated in the anti-Mohawk agitation in Quebec; Klan propaganda was distributed in some Montreal schools, the Eastern Townships of Quebec, several rural Ontario towns, and in Alberta and Manitoba; and anti-immigration white supremacist telephone "hate lines" attracted attention in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto. Racist skinheads rallied regularly during the 1990s, and were implicated in and/or convicted of a number of racially-motivated crimes.

Holocaust denial has increased as a new form of anti-Semitism in schools and public venues across the country, along with active recruitment of young people in high schools and campuses to the racist and anti-Semitic cause, primarily through the dissemination of hate in pamphlets, tapes, videos and the Internet.

An analysis of the records of reported incidents of anti-Semitism since 1982 reveals a strong correlation between periods of economic difficulties and a rise in racist attitudes and behavior. After peaking in 1995, followed by a decrease in reported incidents for two consecutive years, 1998 saw a 14 percent increase in anti-Semitic incidents in Canada. Cases in the human rights commissions and courts, and reports from various multicultural and anti-racist organizations across the country, corroborate these findings.

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/m/mock-karen/countering-hate.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,752 • Replies: 28
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:58 pm
Wow! This is really disturbing news for an American like me that have visited Canada many times, and loves our close border relationship.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:03 pm
I submitted a few Canadian items last night because I sometimes think Americans believe (when they think about Canada at all) that Canada is innocent and clean and pure.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:07 pm
That surprises me a bit, but since I moved here 6 years ago, I've seen some discrimination myself, so it doesn't come as a complete surprise.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
Where do you live, was it New Brunswick?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:14 pm
yes
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:33 pm
Both my parents were born here, but moved to the states before they were married, so I was born over there.
I spent most of my life over there with the exception of 2 years where my parents moved back here.
So, I lived in the states for about 34 years of my life before coming back here.
I spent the first 5 years home schooling my son, so I didn't notice anything until I went back to work last year.
I understand french, so no one can get anything past me.
Anyway, I noticed a lot of discriminating remarks coming from some Canadians I worked with and it really took me by surprise.
One day some people at the table I was working at were making fun of others (behind their backs of course) and I got really ticked off.
I couldn't hold my tongue any longer and I spoke up saying "Hey, I was born in America and I speak english, so what do you guys say about me when I turn my back?"
I then gave them a big lecture on how we are all equal reagardless of race or where we're from and I think very little of people who discriminate against people they don't even know.
I also told them that they were missing out on knowing some fantastic people because of their closed minds.

Suddenly the table became quiet after that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:37 pm
Solidarity with Montana!!!

You go grrl!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:40 pm
Why thank yee!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 09:15 pm
Montana, Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love people like you, because I'm the same; I don't let any type of discrimination or bigotry pass by without any challenge.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
CI
You're very welcome :-D

This is the way I've always felt and I truly can't understand how anyone can discriminate against good people who have never done them harm.
There's simply no logic to it what so ever and I've yet to make any sense out of it.
I think life would be pretty damn boring if we were all the same.
I mean, their hate hurts themselves more than it hurts anyone else, so what's the point?
I just don't get it and I'll always make sure I have my 2 cents ready when needed ;-)
Who knows, maybe I can get a few people to take a better look inside themselves and think twice before judging others.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 09:43 pm
All of which is to say that Canadians are subject to the same human faults as are Americans. In a free country these issues are eventually ventillated and discussed as they are here. However this does not constitute a particular criticism of Canada or Canadians.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 09:48 pm
There's not one corner of the planet that's perfect and I'm not saying that all Canadians discriminate. Just more than I thought, is all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
I'm sure the racial bigots have mostly all gone underground.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:11 pm
Good for you Montana, we can't let them 'mericans have all the fun Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:12 pm
Unfortunately, no matter where you go in this world, you'll find some racial bigots :-(
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:13 pm
Chumly wrote:
Good for you Montana, we can't let them 'mericans have all the fun Smile

LOL. I hope I didn't piss off too many Canadians Embarrassed
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:24 pm
Me too ;-)
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:28 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Montana, Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love people like you, because I'm the same; I don't let any type of discrimination or bigotry pass by without any challenge.

You've noticed how quiet and reserved I am Smile

Anon
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm
Phew! Does that mean you're not mad at me, Intrepid?
0 Replies