Canada Lets Sikh Terrorist Killers Of 329 Victims Go Free

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 02:04 am
March 18, 2005

A Canadian judge has cleared two Sikh militants of involvement in the 1985 bombing of an Air India jetliner off the coast of Ireland, history's deadliest bombing of a civilian aircraft.

Shocked families of the 329 victims of the bombing called the ruling devastating and urged the Canadian Government to establish a public inquiry into the crime and how it was investigated.

In the British Columbia Supreme Court, Judge Bruce Ian Josephson found Ripudaman Singh Malik and Ajaib Singh Bagri not guilty of murder and conspiracy in connection with the Air India bombing as well as a related explosion at Tokyo's Narita airport that killed two people.

Judge Josephson ruled the testimony against the two men was not credible.

Members of the victims' families wept in the courtroom as the judge read the verdicts following an epic, 19-month trial. Mr Malik, 58, and Mr Bagri, 55, smiled at their family members in court when the hearing ended.

Judge Josephson, who heard 115 witnesses during one of the most complicated and costly cases in Canadian history, called the bombing "fanaticism at its basest and most inhumane level" and agreed the devices that exploded off the Irish coast and in Japan probably originated in Vancouver.

Advertisement
AdvertisementBut he said he could not believe key prosecution witnesses who testified that Mr Malik, a wealthy Vancouver businessman, and Mr Bagri, a sawmill worker and Sikh priest, had admitted their roles in the plot. The judge ruled that justice would not be served if there was any doubt about the defendants' guilt.

More than 70 relatives of the bombing victims came from around the world to hear the verdict, delivered in a specially built $C7.4 million ($7.7 million) high-security court.

"I cannot believe the verdict. All those witnesses would not have come forward and risked their lives. All those poor families. Not in a million years did I think this could happen," said Jeanne Bakermans, a former Canadian Pacific Airlines ticket agent and a witness in the case.

Prosecutors accused the men of seeking revenge for the Indian Army's storming of Sikhism's holiest shrine, the Golden Temple in the city of Amritsar, in 1984. That operation, aimed at evicting militants in the temple, left hundreds of people dead. The Indian-born Sikh separatists living in Canada were charged with planning to destroy two aircraft simultaneously. One bomb destroyed flight 182 while it was on its way from Canada to India, via London, on June 23, 1985. The other exploded 54 minutes earlier in baggage being transferred at Narita to Air India flight 301.

Mr Malik and Mr Bagri were arrested in October 2000.

The defence acknowledged there may have been a conspiracy, but denied Mr Bagri and Mr Malik were part of it.

The case was made difficult by problems in the long investigation, including the erasure of wiretaps of the suspects before and after the Air India explosions.

Mr Malik and Mr Bagri were originally scheduled to be tried with Inderjit Singh Reyat, who was accused of helping to make the bombs, but he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge before the trial began. Reyat was called as a witness, but denied knowing who asked him to assist with the bombs.

The judge referred to Reyat as "an unmitigated liar," whose testimony "bordered on the absurd".

The prosecution has not decided whether to appeal.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-harris1206mar12,0,3198780.story?track=rss
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,468 • Replies: 20
No top replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:05 am
canada let the terrorists free for the same reason germany let that suspected african muslim go free just a few months after the iraq war - since germany wanted to snub usa. canada thinks they can needle india by letting murderers off the hook. wait till a wtc or a hikacking happens to a canadian airlines plane (assuming they have an airlines) and then we'll see how they plaead with whichever country holds the reins in that case.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
brahmin
That is the most ridiculous thing that I have read in a long time. Since you seen to be so certain of this, please post your source to substantiate your "facts"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:14 pm
I don't understand Brahmin's point and or logic of his text either.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:57 pm
means there is no logic in the way canada let those murderers off the hook.

during the khalistan (free country for sikhs) insurgency western countries esp canada used to accept any sikh as a "political asylum" seeker, as though india had some saddam like regime going on. that acceptance of asulum seekers was done precisely to give the impression that india was some stalinic country. and this letting off the hook is just a final chapter of the same book.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:04 pm
Why would western countries especially Canada want to give the impression that India was some Stalinic country?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:04 pm
I thought india was a democracy. Don't you guys have "presumption of innocence" and "due process"?

At least Canada does.

That the mere fact that these men are Sikhs makes you absolutely certain that they are murderers, in spite of the failure of a Canadian court who studied the case to reach the same conclusion, gives me the impression that India is some "stalinic" country.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:08 pm
If I was to speculate, I would say the two charged were probably culpable, however the defense was up to the task, and the evidence and Crown were not Sad
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:09 pm
i know we were.

asylum was given in 1000s, even to blue collar workers, just to give the IMPRESION as if we have some sort of holocaust planned out against the sikhs.

i didnt say they are murderers COS they are sikhs.

they are the prime accused of the kanishka case and Canada has even destroyed tapes and evidence just cos they were too old and now they have let these guys off the hook too. imagine the condition of the victim's relatives who waited so long for justice. even if these guys are not the real hijackers its no secret that the deed was done by canadian sikhs - none of wom canada has taken to task.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
Chumly wrote:
Why would western countries especially Canada want to give the impression that India was some Stalinic country?

beats me ... to defame maybe??

cos there is no other reason why asylum shoudl be given to people by the 1000s. i dont think there has ever been such a high rate of asulym given to people of any other country.

if you know anything, they, the sikhs were anything but victimised and were themselves carrying out bombings in marketplaces, hackings in tourists buses and what not. a full fledged war demanding independence, holding the nation at ransom.

why give asylum to these??
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:36 am
brahmin wrote:

... why give asylum to these??

Why not?

Seeing as India is such a peaceful generous place, in seems sending an ethnic group that is seen to cause trouble move to another country would be a good thing.

What would you propose India do with the troublesome Sikhs?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
make peace with them, as we have.

they had a problem with the centre (they think pakistan is for muslims, india for hindus and thus they have been hard done by since there is no land for sikhs exclusively. that was the main motive of the sikh terrorists). but thats not a demand the centre can give in to. if they have ANY other problem, then that can be solved but a proposal to breakaway from the nation is to solve the headache by cutting off the head. we aint gonna allow that.

There is a member here called Dagmar/Dasha, who keeps comming to india to negotiate with North Eastern Indian separatist groups who are also demanding independent states - i told her the same thing. that the centre will give in to ANY demands they make barring the demand to walk away with a piece of india.

thanks to their lunatic policies, canada now has 1000s of sikh terrorists with dubious records of bombing and murder (along with thousands more who posed as victimised refuge seekers just to get a ticket to greener pastures), all holed up in canada. the way nazi criminals, esp the waffen SS, holed up in south america.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm
Brahmin you are funny

You say "make peace with them" in the first paragraph.

You say you won't compromise with them in the second paragraph.

And, in the third paragraph, you call broadly call the 1000s of them who have moved to Canada "terrorists" and compare them to Nazis.

Maybe the phrase "make peace" means something different in India than it does here.

If I believed your prejudiced rantings, I wouldn't understand why India wouldn't be happy to be rid of such people.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
and you are retarded - cant get someone's drift.

we HAVE made peace with them, now that we convinced them to give up their terrorist tactics.

in the second para i said we wont compro with them as long as they demand seperate states etc. all compromise is this side of such demands that threaten india's sovreignity.

in the 3rd para, i said that amongst the 20 thousand+ odd that feld to canada (for greener pastures), most of the ACTUAL terrorists also made a quiet exit from india before our government could take them to task. which isnt unlike the way the waffen ss escaped to latin america before the allies got to them (read "odessa file")

the phrase make peace in india means arriving at a compromise of some kind, without parting with a inch of indian terrority. in canada it must mean holding on to every last square inch of land that you stole from the amerindians.

if you believed my writtings you wouldnt appear so retarded either.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
Hi Brahmin,

I take it you are East Indian or some such? It does not matter to me if I agree, disagree, or have no opinion of your views, it's still interesting to have someone with a potentially closer connection to the issues at hand than myself.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:19 pm
yes indian. and used to live in new delhi when the kanishka (name of the plane) bombing happened and in agra (taj mahal) when indira gandhi was shot dead, both by sikh millitants.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:25 pm
brahmin wrote:
and you are retarded - cant get someone's drift...

if you believed my writtings you wouldnt appear so retarded either.

It's all true. I can't argue with this type of logic.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:32 pm
you would too if you could get my drift.

there is a difference between just a demand and a demand for independence.
there is a diference between peaceful methods and terrorist tactics.

how would usa react if the spanish population of florida wanted to break away from usa and get a country of their own on the land of florida?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
OK you two wieners get a room!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
Chumly wrote:
OK you two wieners get a room!

Because that would just be sikh.
0 Replies