cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:15 pm
No worries Set, I would never disparage or cast aspersions even, on anyones grandmas baking....mine taught me my first skills, fer real.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:17 pm
I believe it . . . she was a perfectionist, who would throw out entire cakes (oh, the pain ! ! ! ) which did not meet her standards . . . she was born in 1899, and lived through to the age of the space shuttle. When i once asked her what the greatest advance in America was in her lifetime, she answered immediately, without heistation: "Cake mixes . . . "
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:32 pm
Krispy kreme Donuts have finally arrived in Rogues' Island.
I had my first two days ago.

I was very OPEN to liking them, in fact I WANTED to like them, but the truth is, I was disappointed.

A friend had a gathering at her house and she had bought two dozen Krispy Kreme glazed (aka honey dipped) donuts to go with the coffee.

The first thing I noticed was how generously they were covered in the glaze. That is probably why some people complain that they are 'too sweet'; but for me that was a POSITIVE.

Call me whatever you will but I like 'em sweet.

The next thing I noticed was a delightful soft texture. So far so good.

Unfortunately the positive reaction stopped there because I then noted A SURPRISING LACK OF FLAVOR.

I couldn't believe how tasteless these donuts were.

Final grade: C- Sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 09:59 am
I could never understand why Krispy Kreme donuts are so popular. It just goes to show that many do not have discrimnating taste for good donuts. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 10:11 am
Freakin' faddish peoples. Had a double dose of it yesterday. Went looking for a corkscrew at work, checked in this room where stuff like that might be stored, and was greatly bemused to find about 60 boxes of KK "donuts." Some undergrad science club's been trying to save money to have some sort of dance -- I guess college is being treated as a sort of make-up for missed opportunities in high school or something -- and apparently greatly overestimated the appeal of these o'ersugared, cardboard-textured pig flops of nothingness.

Finally found a corkscrew. Administrator keeps a Sharper Image corkscrew in her office. Sharper Image. Sheesh. Who needs a fifty dollar corkscrew anywhere (outside of a winery that does large scale tastings, natch), let alone in their office?

God, we're all going straight to hell in our SUVs, and we may even notice by the time we're done talking on our cells...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 10:11 am
How many cops are there in here?
0 Replies

max

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 10:12 am
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:43 am
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Copycat Recipe
Kripy Kreme Doughnuts Copycat Recipe
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

2 packages of dry yeast (1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F.)
1-1/2 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large whole eggs
1/3 cup solid shortening
5 cups all-purpose flour
vegetable or peanut oil

Dissolve the yeast powder in the warm water in a 2-1/2-quart electric mixer bowl. Add the milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups of the flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for 2 additional minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Beat in remaining flour only until the batter is smooth.

Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover the dough and let it rise in warm place until double in volume, 50 to 60 minutes. (The dough is ready when a finger indentation remains when touched.)

Turn the dough onto floured surface; roll the dough around lightly to coat with the flour. With a floured rolling pin, gently roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Cut the dough with a floured doughnut cutter without a center hole. When cutting the dough, cut straight down; do not twist the cutter so the edges of the doughnuts will rise evenly. Cover the cut doughnuts and let them rise until double in volume, 30 to 40 minutes.

Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or in a deep electric frying pan to 350 degrees F. according to the manufacturer's directions. Do not skimp on the amount of oil used to get the best results. Carefully place small batches of the doughnuts into the hot oil with long handled wide spatula to protect your hands from splatter burns. Do not fry too many doughnuts at one time to avoid reducing the oil's temperature or the result will be excessively greasy doughnuts. Turn the doughnuts with long tongs as they rise to the surface of the oil. Fry the doughnuts until they are a light golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.

Carefully remove the doughnuts from the oil with tongs to avoid pricking their surface; drain the doughnuts on paper towels.

With tongs, dip the fried doughnuts into the creamy glaze and arrange them on rack with a baking sheet underneath to catch any drippings. When the glazed doughnuts have slightly cooled, spread the chocolate glaze on top. Other toppings, such as sprinkles or nuts, may be added to the chocolate glaze while it is still soft and warm.

Creamy Glaze:
1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioners' powdered sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 to 6 tablespoons hot water

In a saucepan over low heat or in a bowl in a microwave oven, warm the butter until it is melted. Remove the pan or bowl from the heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until the desired consistency is achieved.

Chocolate glaze:
1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioners' powdered sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
4 to 6 tablespoons hot water
4 ounces milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a saucepan over low heat or in a bowl in a microwave oven, warm the butter and chocolate until it is melted. Remove the pan or bowl from the heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until the desired consistency is achieved.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:03 pm
Dunkin Donuts copycat recipe
The closest doughnut shop to my home in Albuquerque is Dunkin Donuts.

The following is the history of Dunkin Donuts and the copycat recipe:
http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2002/december/moretopsecretrecipes1.html

BumbleBeeBoogie
--------------------------------------

Dunkin Donuts
(Plume; November 1994; ISBN: 0452272998; PB)
Cookbook Heaven @ Recipelink.com

As he worked long, hard days at a shipyard in Hingham, Massachusetts, during World War II, William Rosenberg was struck with an idea for a new kind of food service. As soon as the war ended, Rosenberg started Industrial Luncheon Services, a company that delivered fresh meals and snacks to factory workers. When Rosenberg realized that most of his business was in coffee and donuts, he quit offering his original service. He found an old awning store and converted it into a coffee-and-donut shop called The Open Kettle. This name was soon changed to the more familiar Dunkin' Donuts, and between 1950 and 1955 five more shops opened and thrived. The company later spread beyond the Boston area and has become the largest coffee-and-donut chain in the world.

Today, Dunkin' Donuts offers fifty-two varieties of donuts in each shop, but the most popular have always been the plain glazed and chocolate-glazed yeast donuts.

DUNKIN DONUTS
Adapted for clarity by BumbleBeeBoogie
Makes 1 dozen donuts

DONUTS
One 1/4-ounce package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water (98 degrees)
3/4 cup warm milk (30 seconds in the microwave does the trick)
2 1/2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 large egg
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable oil

In a medium bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the milk, margarine or butter, egg, sugar, and salt, and blend with an electric mixer until smooth. Add half the flour and mix for 30 seconds. Add the remaining flour and knead the dough with flour-dusted hands until smooth.

Cover the bowl of dough and leave it in a comfy, warm place until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour. You can tell that the dough has risen enough when you poke it with your finger and the indentation stays.
Rollout the dough on a heavily floured surface until it's about 1/2 inch thick.

If you don't have a donut cutter, and don't intend to buy one, here's a way to punch out your dough: Empty a standard 15-ounce can of whatever you can find-vegetables, refried beans, even dog food. Be sure to wash out the can very well, and punch a hole in the opposite end so that the dough won't be held inside the can by a vacuum.

When you've punched out all the dough (you should have about a dozen unholed donuts), it's time for the holes. Find the cap to a bottle of lemon juice or Worcestershire sauce, or any other small cap with a diameter of about 1-1/4 inches. Use this to punch out holes in the center of each of your donuts.

Place the donuts on plates or cookie sheets, cover, and let stand in the same warm, comfy place until they nearly double in size. This will take 30 to 45 minutes.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Bring the oil to about 350 degrees F. It is easily tested with scrap dough left over from punching out the donuts. The dough should bubble rapidly. Fry each donut for about 30 seconds per side, or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on paper towels.

GLAZE
5 1/3 tablespoons (1/3 cup) margarine or butter
2 cups powdered confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup hot water

For either the plain or the chocolate glaze, combine the margarine or butter with the powdered sugar in a medium bowl and blend with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and hot water. Mix until smooth.

When the donuts have cooled, dip each top surface into the glaze and then flip over and cool on a plate until the glaze firms up, about 15 minutes.

FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

If you're making the chocolate glaze, melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds. Stir, then microwave another 30 seconds and stir again until completely melted. Add to the plain glaze mixture. Blend until smooth.

When the donuts have cooled, dip each top surface into the glaze and then flip over and cool on a plate until the glaze firms up, about 15 minutes.

TIDBITS
You can also make "donut holes" as they do at Dunkin' Donuts by cooking and glazing the holes you've punched out the same way you prepared the donuts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:41 pm
you can really kick the Dunkin donuts recipe up by adding a 1/2 C of mashed potatoes , subbing lard for the shortening, and increasing the sugar by at least 1/4C.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 01:21 pm
I had Dunkin Donut's glazed and coffee while waiting at the Guayaquil airport to return home. It wasn't - too bad! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 10:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
How many cops are there in here?

Drove by the new Krispy Kreme in North Seattle yesterday, and there were a bunch of cops there. But it was very sad -- instead of eating donuts, they were directing traffic in the parking lot. Poor cops. (Poor pathetic matherfackers waiting 45 minutes for crappy donuts that their neighbor said are good.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 11:24 am
I betcha that Stan's donuts is better'n your donuts. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Mr Spudnuts

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 03:52 pm
Oh those spudnuts
Is there anybody in here ? The last date I saw was May 26,03.
Well anyway,Mr. Spudnuts made the best ever. They came back on the market known as Spudnuts, having dropped the Mr. in the name. If you get a chance to compare donuts made with and without potato flour, you will notice quite a difference. The spudnuts are the best in taste and texture.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:02 pm
Mr Spudnuts, WELCOME to A2K.
0 Replies

Mr Spudnuts

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:41 pm
Well, thank you for the greeting.
Try a Spudnuts !!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:51 pm
I don't think we have any Spudnuts shops in our area - around Silicon Valley.
0 Replies

Mr Spudnuts

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:55 pm
There was one on Reseda Blvd. when I moved to Ok. in 92.
Wonder if its still there ?
Long commute, though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:57 pm
For a donut? Nah.......
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
The People's Bakery here in Madison has damn fine donuts...
0 Replies