Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:41 am
I love Dunkin Donuts. But too much cholesterol in them... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:48 am
NH

Didn't you hear?

Cholesterol is GOOD for you now!

It slims down those big cavernous arteries, makes them snug and cozy inside.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:53 am
Yes, it insulates the blood!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:14 am
Hmm...HDL or LDL, or are they suddenly both good for you now?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:57 pm
there is a little bakery in Picton. They still fry their donuts in proper beef lard. the best ever, even if i only have them ever 5 or 6 years now.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:31 pm
The best doughnuts are made by Krispy Kreme.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 11:44 pm
William Henry - come north - i'll convince you otherwise.
Very Happy
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 08:46 am
I have not had a donut since I got to Austin. Anyone know where I should go down here?
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:49 am
Yes! I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You get in your car and drive 15 minutes north to Round Rock........The Round Rock donuts are wonderful. I don't know anyone who says any different.
There is a place in Round Rock, called (ta-da!) The Round Rock Bakery. Their donuts are to kill for! About two years ago , the bakery caught on fire, and everyone was so sad about it, that several churches opened up their kitchens to allow the bakery's cooks to produce their magic donuts. They are now back at home in their bakery!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:57 am
Wow! What a story.
I will absolutely have to check out Round Rock Bakery.
I'm already in the Arboretum, so Round Rock is not far at all!

(I asked Brian, who grew up in San Antonio but who went to school in Austin for a couple of years, and he said, "Krispy Kreme, of course!" But I want to try somethine NEW and Austin-y, not something we had in New York. While I do like Krispy Kreme, it's a one-note kind of store.)

Should I go at 5 a.m. or other similarly early hour to get the warm ones? Or are they fresh all day?
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 08:24 am
The morning is the best, but they are fresh all day, however, unlike the others, these need to be eaten the same day........NO preservatives...........
0 Replies

max

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:53 pm
BTW------------>The Round Rock Bakery was featured on the Food Network/channel this week. You should be able to find them on the Food Network web site
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:57 pm
Woo!

Someone brought some into work the other day. They were yellowish and delicious! Yum!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 02:44 pm
Krispy Kremes are mostly just tasteless sugar coated puffs of air. I much prefer almost any of the other donut chain products. Krispy Kremes are the Wonder Bread of the donut industry.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 08:46 pm
all the best donuts incorporate some amt of either potato flour or mashed potatoes. It lets them be light but not like the lard flavored "helium" that is krispy kreme. I too will stand tall and say that krispy Kreme donuts are best used as Karp bait.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:07 pm
Potato flour or mashed potatoes...I don't know much about what goes into commercial donuts. I will stick by my brioche fine, fried in simple canola oil and just dusted with powdered sugar. A soft dough and 3 risings gives my donuts lightness, and a very quick cooking. Potato flour or mashed potatoes I will save for working into choux paste, also really good fried....and I agree, Krispy Kreme is not worth the trip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:18 pm
The best dang donuts in the whole San Francisco Bay Area is at Stans in Santa Clara. They've done "best donut" series several times in Northern California, and Stans wins every time. Wink I go there about six times a year. My arteries won't let me eat more of that delicious donut and coffee. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:09 pm
Krispy Kreme suck . . . recongealed shortenin' with too much sugar . . . the Krogers here in central Ohio used to have the best doughnuts i'd ever had commercially (My grandma made doughnuts not unlike those which Cav had described makin', 'cept hers were much better than he, or anyone else, could ever hope to make). However, they closed down the huge bakery they had in Columbus, because Krispy Kreme was musculin' in, and undersellin' everyone (probably takin' a loss to corner the distribution market . . . they really suck . . . )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:10 pm
There was also once a local chain, Jolly Pirate, that made first class doughnuts, but they were small, and the first to succumb to the attack of the Krispy Kreme Zomboids . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:11 pm
farmerman wrote:
I too will stand tall and say that krispy Kreme donuts are best used as Karp bait.

You must really hate Karp . . .
0 Replies