rent car got scratched, do i have to pay?

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
Amigo,

Is that what you would tell your kids to do? Shame on you! Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:44 pm
No that's what I tell other peoples kids to do.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:48 pm
Well, just as long as you are teaching your kids the right thing to do. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
I'm taking youngmans word that the scratch is not his fault and that he is just trying to protect himself.

These rental car guys probably don't really do a good pre-rental inspection then you see a scratch later and tell them "Hey I didn't do this." then they say "We got your signature right here buddy that says it wasn't there."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
Amigo,

I understand what you are saying. But, legally is what youngmans needs to be looking at here. If he signed a piece of paper saying that car had no scratches, etc., then I'm afraid it is his responsibility if they now find a scratch.

However, if he has his own insurance, or as others have said, some credit card companies cover this, then he probably won't have to pay anything out of his pocket.

Doing the wrong thing legally is not going to protect him from anything. The only thing it does is makes it look like he realizes the scratch was put there while he had possession of the car. I'm telling you, Judge Judy would tell him to pay up. Best to do it now before it gets out of hand.

If it's just a scratch it's not going to cost that much and he will have the satisfaction of knowing he did the right thing and did not break the law trying to cover anything up. Just a thought. :wink:
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:07 pm
Your talking madeness Mamma. I don't think any hard working person in the working class or probably poor like alit of us should pay to paint a scratch on a rental car.

Really youngman is doing them a favor and fixing it for them. No harm no foul.

It's dog ot dog now. Prison rules.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:22 pm
Shocked Shocked What?! You aren't serious? No way are you serious, Amigo. Shocked Shocked

He's doing them a favor by fixing it for them? Uh, Amigo, it's THEIR car, THEY get to decide who fixes it and how it is fixed. Not the person that merely rented the car. Am I going to have to go find Debra Law and get her to come and assess this case?

So, what happens if in his fixing this scratch something worse happens? What if it's buffed out too much and then you have a noticeable buffed out scratch? What's he going to do, take a paint brush to the scratch. Uh, won't work. Then they will definitely see the scratch and it would probably cost more to fix it.

Just do the right thing. He more likely than not has some kind of insurance to cover this. If not, well, he signed a contract. He has to live up to his end of that contract.

How would you feel if you loaned your car to a friend and this happened? Would you want to cover the cost of fixing it yourself? Turn it into your insurance? What's wrong with doing the right thing? Fess up! Be a man! Stick to your word.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:30 pm
Momma, for some people there is nothing wrong with dishonesty if you can get away with it. Sorry, that's the unpleasant truth.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:33 pm
Understood, flyboy. Sad, but true.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:46 pm
Maybe you gurs are right.

Youngman, Call and retain a lawyer and get ready for the day of reckoning.

THE CASE OF THE SCRATCH ON THE RENTAL CAR!!!!!!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
Amigo,

You are so funny! Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:01 pm
I was just kidding.

Seriously, In the perfect world we could have the flawless contract.

But sometimes you have to prevent yourself from being taken advantage of. If you use "not getting taken advantage of" as an excuse to take advatage of others that is your choice.

But you ain't fooling the big Dude upstairs.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:18 am
Your last post shows that you're not fooling yourself either. Don't those little voices inside become annoying?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
Those little voices are just inside a christian mind. Wink
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:38 am
I'm an atheist, but I still hear them. Differentiating between right and wrong is not restricted to religionists.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:45 am
Good for you! People who always do the right thing are rare,
especially in NYC Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:51 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Good for you! People who always do the right thing are rare,
especially in NYC Smile

Einige Leute denken, daß sie ein Glühen haben, aber aller es in ihrem Verstand ist.
Es ist also pretentious, wenige unverständliche Fremdsprache-Anführungsstriche zu schreiben.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
If I always did the right thing, it would be because I always responded to the little voices. Unfortunately I can make no such claim.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:59 am
snood, German is my mother tongue, so excuse me, if my
signature reflects that. If you think that's pretentious, so be
it!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:59 am
heh, i'm somewhere between amigo and momma. rental company is big, rentee is small, a scratch is nothing to them and they're out after the small guy's money, the blood sucking monsters they are... but... a signed contract is a signed contract and yes, legally it is youngman's responsibility.

i have touched up my own car with spraypaint before, it worked very nicely, but you do have to make sure the color is a perfect match. i'd buy a small can, try it on a piece of paper or cardboard, large enough so that you can tell if it's a perfect match when you place it on the car. sometimes you can get a tiny bottles with a brush for scratches - kinda like nailpolish. any auto parts store will have a selection. take the car there and do the matching.

then again, what i don't understand is taking chances on a rental that is so long in time - one month is long enough time for sh!t to happen. I would never do that without an extensive extra insurance that covers just about everything. my own car, sure. but rental, never. especially since they're out to nail you and they will, given the slightest chance.
0 Replies