rent car got scratched, do i have to pay?

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:44 pm
i just found out that the frontal bump got a black scratch line that is about 4, 5 inches long, i can't wash it out, either.

someone probably hit the frontal bump when he was trying to back his car.

so how much do i have to pay for that damage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,598 • Replies: 44
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:28 pm
Yes, probably covered by your insurance.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:56 pm
are u talkig about it from your experience, or you are just guessing?

and how much would it be? can't i just pay directly myself?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:32 pm
When you rented the car they must have got all your credit info - like credit card no., insurance card no., driver's license no.,etc. You are to return the vehicle the same state you rented with all prior dents marked in your rental papers. If they notice any damage they will charge you for it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:34 pm
What coverage did you get on the rental contract, youngman?

Do you have your own car as well, with insurance for a rental on it?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:45 pm
Don't pay sh!t youngman. Camouflage the scratch the best you can then when they say "Hey, whats that" just act stupid and say " I didn't go any where where that would happen and it looks like the last guy that rented it tried to cover it up and we missed it in the inspection."

We do it all the time everywhere we go. It works great.

Don't pay stupid,Play stupid.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:21 am
ya. it is a gray car. so where can i get a paint or something like that to cover it up? any ideas?

it made me think, because if people leave some stains in the car seat, or had a little damage under the seat, or whatever inside the car, they probably won't charge anything for that.

and i am 200% sure that it was not my fault some idiot bumped into my car when s/he tried to back the car.

i actually just used an annoymous email and sent an email to the rental car company. let's see what they will tell me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:19 am
What matters is what is in your particular contract, youngman. Not who is at fault, or what stains might have been in the car.

Check the contract - and check the walk around they did and gave you when you took out the rental.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:45 am
Did the guy even pay attention when he did the inspection?

Grey!!!!! what are you waiting for! Don't make it too obvious.

If they give any trouble tell them there nuts and they need to get there act together and point out all the other stuff they missed and if they try anything you'll take it to the highest court in th land. The'll buckle.

But really nothing is going to happen. I bet they won't even notice it they never do. We drive rental cars like dune buggies in the mountain then we take them back and say "what the hell is wrong with this piece of sh!t buddy, We should sue your ass."
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:52 am
A friend of mine rented a car, didn't get the extra insurance, went to Provincetown, somebody knocked off the outside driver's side mirror.

Went to the hardware store, got monkey glue, glued it, turned it in and no one knew the difference.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:11 pm
That happened to me once too. Someone scratched the
door on a rental car I was driving in Europe. Before returning the car, I drove through some field roads until the car was really
dirty, and since I returned the car at the airport
(they're awfully busy there), they just took it "as is" and
this was the end of it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:16 pm
Did you take out insurance on the car when you rented it? If not and you have your own car insurance, check it like ehBeth says.

But, I don't suggest trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. If you are honest with them and tell them you don't know what happened I am sure they will go over all the options with you.

Who knows, maybe the scratch was there when you rented the car?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:42 pm
You're all criminals here! :wink:
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:51 pm
Simply buy an identical replacement, switch the number plates and no-one's the wiser.

(no need to thank me, really).
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
hehe.

i am renting that car for one month, so they are making lots of money from me anyway. thanks for all the comments. i felt kinda down last night when i found out, 'cause i was thinking maybe i will have to pay over hundreds or maybe have to pay lots of money to get it done at a paint shop or something.

so where can i get that kind paint to cover it up? any suggestions? i don't go to auto stores often, so i am clueless.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:04 pm
I'd be very careful about painting it to cover it up. Unless you match the paint exactly, you just might make the scratch more noticeable.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
There are scratch removers available in auto stores. It is a tube you squeeze out of and apply on the affected area. It costs maybe $10-20
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
oh. cool. scratch remover. that is nice! i will try that. thanks!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:32 pm
By the time you try all of these products to keep the scratch from being discovered you probably will have paid more to hide it than if you had just fessed up. Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:38 pm
You sent an anonymous email???? Your going to attract attention to this car be carful. Don't make an elaborate plan. It just makes room for you to contradict yourself.

Now there going to get a funny e-mail and say "hey whats up with this car." and take a better look. Take it from me I'm an old hustler. Keep it simple and play stupid and look at the contract so you know what you can and can't get away with. There job is to protact their money and your job is to protect yours.
0 Replies