New parties?

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:29 pm
I have read numerous threads where people are underwhelmed with the choices in both Republican and Democratic parties.

Now is the time for other political parties to win some seats. Presidential years are too difficult. The two-party system is akin to communism as both parties are tied to vested interests. Parties with a narrower focus would be more active and give voters more choices. Proportional representation is best. The key is for the government to fund parties that have gained at least 5 or 10% of the voters. This is not an attempt to derail impeachment of GWB but even third parties would surely be right there to impeach Bush.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 410 • Replies: 5
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
I hear Clinton's throwing a new party...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
DrewDad, you have answered the call to arms and I am proud of you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:27 am
lets party
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:31 am
The Republican and Democratic Parties have a death grip on politics from the local to the national level. The only way for a new party to survive is to be well-organized from the grassroots level all the way to the level of national elections. Such a party would then need to be able to promote candidates who can get elected at municipal, county, state and national levels. That means a hell of a lot of money, as the current campaign contribution climate means that viable candidates have to spend a pot of money on advertising, which is expensive, and beyond the means of anyone who cannot attract large contributions. A new party would likely be seen as marginal by those with deep pockets who write campaign contribution checks.

So long as government is for sale on the basis of individual elected members, a third or fourth party likely doesn't have a hope in Hell . . .
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:32 am
A new party? When did his pants party end?

Brick Tamland: I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.

Veronica Corningstone: Excuse me?

Brick Tamland: [struggling] The... party. With the... with the pants. Party with pants?
0 Replies