Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:01 pm
@sozobe,
Here you go!

http://www.itchmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/crazydog.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:32 pm
@FreeDuck,
The ad said that she'd send more pics to people who asked and so I went ahead and wrote to her saying that we're NOT currently in the market, just curious at this point about what's available if/when we get to that point, and she wrote me a nice email back (with more teeny puppy pictures! so cute!) and evidently they DO run a shelter.

I asked about the personality of the mom and whether they know the dad at all, she said good things about both.

They're an hour away though. Doable if we're ready to get a dog, probably too long of a trip just to see the puppies (which we were invited to do).

Chai, that's such a cool story, thanks. So sweet.

JPB, what a cutie! That's a Lab/ Husky mix?

Edit: A little goggle-eyed, but still cute!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:58 pm
@sozobe,
Probably the best summation I ever heard came from one of my pharm reps. He said he always told folks to go to their local shelter, tell the girls at the front desk what size of dog you want, and take the first one they bring out to show you. The rationale is that the shelter workers know the really nice dogs, and are anxious to find good homes for them as soon as possible. It actually makes a fair amount of sense.
dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 01:34 am
Golden retrievers are as dumb as dog ****.

They are the blondes of the dog world.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:39 am
@sozobe,
You can sometimes do well with breed-specific rescues. I know some folks who do foster work with some of the breed-specific rescue groups and they know a LOT about the dogs. Timber used to do some of that type of fostering.

I'd recommend that route over something like Craigslist or newspaper ads. You want folks who've got good animal experience to be able to tell you what kind of personality you're getting and what kind of training approach has been working. If sozlet wasn't a factor, I wouldn't be so concerned about a possible dog adoption route that didn't have dog pros involved.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@CowDoc,
CowDoc wrote:
The rationale is that the shelter workers know the really nice dogs, and are anxious to find good homes for them as soon as possible. It actually makes a fair amount of sense.

yes yes yes!

the breed-specific rescue folks are much the same way
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
here's a young fella from the Ohio Labrador Retriever Rescue

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12823058

Quote:
Ohio Labrador Retriever Rescue Services assists in re-homing labrador retrievers & other retriever breeds from owners who can no longer care for them, or from shelter overcrowding.

All of our labradors are required to pass temperament testing (10 step testing) and will be evaluated in a foster home environment for a minimum of 1 week before being posted on petfinder.

Our dogs live in our homes & we will share any behavioral or health concerns with you prior to adoption. We want to supply you with the best family pet possible.

Our application fee is $25.00, & this will allow us to gain information on you & provide you with a dog that fits your family & lifestyle. Our adoption fee is $225.00 & this includes the following.
JustBrooke

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Awwwww....how cute! What's not to love about that face! Makes me wanna get another one. Wait! I already have two! Both Labs....one chocolate and one black.

They really are sweet dogs, soz. Smart, too. Extremely loyal and they love kids!

The smartest dog I have ever known, was a collie/german shepherd mix. Had that dog when I was growing up. He was amazing! Well behaved. Easy to train. And when it came to teaching him tricks....all ya had to do was sit down in front of him. Show him what to do a few times. He would master it within an hour. NO joke! The house was his castle. He never chewed stuff up when left alone. Never would even think of pottying inside the house. When we got him as a puppy...he was going to the door on his own, the very next day. Completely housebroke in less than 24 hours. Have never known another dog like him.

Good luck on your search! Animals provide so much love. A ton of smiles. They can bring you up when you are down. I will probably always have a dog. Or two. Wink

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 02:02 pm
Give some serious thought to getting a puppy that's a little older. We got our Cavalier at 8 months and completely avoided the messy puppy stage. (Lucky us!) And by then, we could tell what he would look like as an adult. Cavaliers aren't fully grown until about 14-18 months, so we still had months of puppy energy left to enjoy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 03:53 pm
Having a service dog puppy who didn't quite fulfill the requirements, would be
also an excellent pet.

Quote:
Are you looking for an exceptionally well-mannered pet? The regimen to become a full-fledged Saint Francis Service Dogs Service Dog is a challenging one, and some of our puppies and dogs are not able to successfully complete the program. When that happens, we place that puppy or dog for adoption as a "Career Change Dog". We keep a waiting list of dog lovers who would love to have a Saint Francis Service Dogs dog as a pet, and will contact you when we have a dog that needs placement.

http://www.saintfrancisdogs.org/how.php
0 Replies