Help Me Make the Case

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:56 pm
Sozlet (my 5-yr-old daughter) really, really wants a dog. I really, really think she should have a dog. I want a dog too, but that's actually secondary for me. I was fine with not having a dog up until now, and was resigned to never having one. Because

E.G. (my husband) really, really doesn't want a dog.

HOWEVER.

The other night, he signed to me (how we usually talk when sozlet's in the room but not paying attention and we don't want her to know what we're saying), "This kid needs a pet." She's so nurturing to all of her stuffed animals and dolls, and has been saying over and over again that she wants a puppy. (I've sympathized but haven't made any promises.)

I think hamsters and gerbils and fish and such are fine but are really pale substitutes for a cat or a dog. And E.G. isn't that much happier about any of them, anyway.

One of the things I like about E.G. is that he is open-minded, and especially persuadable with facts. So I'm going to put together a package of information on why I think we should get a dog for the kiddo. I decided to do it here because a) it's a handy format for depositing a bunch of info as I find it, and b) I'm hoping that you guys can help, either with your own ideas or by fleshing out ideas I have.

Some of the things I'm not sure of or want to get answers to:

1.) Puppy or adult shelter dog?

I am reflexively against getting an adult dog because a child is involved and one can't know the whole history of an adult dog and why it is at the shelter. I can't stand the thought of sozlet grabbing a hairbrush, say, and the dog lunging at her because it had been beaten with a hairbrush. Can anyone help me with my thinking there?

Because I do like the idea of rescuing a dog, in general, and Bella's thread is reminding me just how much work a puppy can be. I think that in general I would be going for the easiest possible path, in terms of persuading E.G.

However, I do like the idea of getting a puppy, too, because a) they're so darn cute!! and b) you can raise them in a certain way and help shape a certain kind of dog. (Sweet, loving, calm, etc.)

Additionally, I like the idea of sozlet asserting her dominant role in the pack when the puppy is still little... might be more work for her if it's an adult dog. (?)

2.) What breed/ cross of breeds?

I'm pretty open to ideas there.

3.) What research is there to show the importance of having pets for only children[/]?

4.) What research is there to show the importance of having pets for kids, in general?

5.) What research is there to show the importance of having a dog for home security?

I plan to answer those myself, Google and plonk in here, but again welcome other input.

Thanks!

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
http://www.ovma.org/pets/human_animalbond.shtml
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
I think a shelter puppy would be a good idea - one perhaps between 4 and 6 months old, gender, breed or mix not really as important as temperment. Prolly - given the other considerations - oughtta look for a pup that won't grow into a huge dog - try for something that will top out at around 50 pounds or less when full grown. In general, smaller dogs tend to live longer, mixed breeds tend to have fewer health and attitude problems, and puppies 6 months or younger bond really quickly and really closely with the human who gives them the most rewarding attention. I think if the Sozlet is made to feel its her dog, the bond will be enormous, and rewarding for both the Sozlet and the pup. Of course, the nitty-gritty of housebreaking, basic obedience training, and care and feeding will fall to the adults, but even there, the Sozlet can be given a small role initially, and expand into more direct authority and responsibility as her own capabilities grow. Its really neat to watch kids and dogs grow up together.

The thought almost - not quite, but almost - sometimes sorta makes me wish there were kids around Castle Timber on a full-time basis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:17 pm
I have read that pets can reduce stress, and that there are studies to the effect that it has been shown that interaction with pets reduces blood pressure, pulse rate, etc. Unfortunately, i cannot immediately direct you to such information. I vaguely listened to a report on CBC the other day about this sort of thing being done in Ontario, and recall that there is an organization dedicated to providing animal companions for such purposes in Ontario--unfortunately, once again, i cannot provide more specific information, as i wasn't paying that close an attention to the program.

Columbus, Ohio, has one of the oldest animal shelters in the United States, and they have a web site. I think the best way for your to proceed is to look up "Animal shelters+Franklin County." The Franklin County recorder, or one of those county luminaries, is a big supporter of the shelter, and has information on his web page. Check it out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Thanks, timber! You're one I hoped would stop in here.

Why 4-6 months? Because that's usually past prime adoption age, and so has some of the benefits of rescue, but is still young?

If I get a puppy it would be from a shelter too, with 8 weeks or so being the goal if we did. Definitely WOULDN'T get a puppy from a pet store. Would maybe get one from a local family whose own pet dog got pregnant, so the puppy would be able to go straight from mom to new family, and to see what the mom is like.
sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
Good idea, Set, will do that now. Have been there before looking at the dogs, hadn't thought of going there for info.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:26 pm
Re: Help Me Make the Case
sozobe wrote:

Some of the things I'm not sure of or want to get answers to:

1.) Puppy or adult shelter dog?

I am reflexively against getting an adult dog because a child is involved and one can't know the whole history of an adult dog and why it is at the shelter. I can't stand the thought of sozlet grabbing a hairbrush, say, and the dog lunging at her because it had been beaten with a hairbrush. Can anyone help me with my thinking there?

Additionally, I like the idea of sozlet asserting her dominant role in the pack when the puppy is still little... might be more work for her if it's an adult dog. (?)

I can see your hesitation because when it comes to animals, we can never REALLY be sure. Even the best dog can turn at a moments notice because after all, they are still just animals. But having the dog be a puppy will help you all assert who is boss.

However, shelter dogs or rescue dogs are often fostered and generally not allowed to be adoped until they meet training and behaviorial standards. You can express to the shelter that you have a small child. Older puppies are also available at shelters if you want to go that route, and are generally house broken because as I said, many of the dogs are fostered prior to adoption.

sozobe wrote:

2.) What breed/ cross of breeds?

I'm pretty open to ideas there.

Labs, golden retrievers and boxers (if you want that kind of energy) are great with kids and are excellent family dogs. This website has a lot of info. Dog Breeds

sozobe wrote:

3.) What research is there to show the importance of having pets for only children[/]?

4.) What research is there to show the importance of having pets for kids, in general?

5.) What research is there to show the importance of having a dog for home security?

I plan to answer those myself, Google and plonk in here, but again welcome other input.

Thanks!

Dunno on those. Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:28 pm
A pup of 8 weeks old or more would be fine ... I said 4 months because I think thats about when a pup begins to really be ready for and acceptive of trainining, and less needful of constant attention - they've passed from toddler stage into being kids, more or less ... sorta equivalent to 6-year-olds ready for 1st grade. Younger pups are fine, just need a little more attention.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:38 pm
I see, thanks. I think the additional two months of extra work be worth it for the payoff in bonding and just knowing that nothing untoward was going on in that time. (My mom adopted a shelter kitten who had all kinds of psychological issues...)

I have a fair amount of experience with puppies -- helped with one, and did virtually all of the training and puppy-raising with another when I was a kid -- and so would certainly need a refresher course but feel basically equipped to handle it.

But yeah, if we could skip the whining all night stage entirely, I'm sure E.G. would be much more receptive.

Set, I went to that site:

http://www.franklincountydogs.com/

And got some good info, especially about the "Mingle with Mutts" events they have, but it doesn't have much of the specific info I'm going for.

My first link, above (ovma.org) refers to a lot of what you mentioned, though.

Will keep looking...

Thanks for your input too, Bella! Fostering is something I hadn't really thought of -- I was thinking of the dogs languishing in cages for a long time. That makes me more receptive towards getting an adult.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:40 pm
Not all shelter animals have been abused.

But you might check out Craigslist. There are always lots of dogs listed on our local site.

Our vet also has adoptable dogs. (That's where we got our cat.)

As far as breeds you might want to check out poodles/poodle mixs. I know EG has allergies and poodles are supposed to be dandy in those situations because they are low dander.

I have a friend who has standard poodles (the big ones) and they are very cool dogs. Smart, gentle. Very likable.

My vet has a sometha-doodle that is absolutley the most beautiful dog I've ever seen.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
PetFinder

Soz, check this site out too. It lists shelters in your area and many of them have websites that list if the dog is currently a foster or not. YOu can see pictures of the animals too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:42 pm
Yep, I'd found that. I'm not at the stage of actually looking for a dog yet -- want to build the case first.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:49 pm
Why'd you have to go and get me looking at the doggies...?!!

I want this guy:

http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/OH413/OH413.5357704-1-x.jpg

Beagle-lab mix. AWWWWWWWW.

Quote:
Notes: CORDUROY was born on September 10th and is now 4 months old. This Totally charming little cowboy looks so much like a full lab pup(except for his Very long ears) but is not full blooded. His mom is actually a 30lb Beagle, but dad WAS a full lab and he obvioulsy had the dominant genes. This is one lovable pup....he is full of long soulful looks and a willingness to please that is beyond any other pup that i have ever met~ Corduroy is housebroken, crate trained and knows basic commands. He likes to take walks, but is a bit clownish for the first few moments, then settles down into his 'Zen' state and walks along like a pro. Two of my favorite breeds all rolled up into a chunky and LAB RA- dorable baby boy! With his genetics he should be able to 'nose' a swimming rabbit and perhaps even retreive it! And he doesn't Bark, just sings like a beagle,,,,very amusing and not what you expect to come out of his mouth. He is sort of the Mini Cooper of Labs. I do not think he will be very big, just a chunky, huggy mid-size mini-lab.

One step at a time...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:51 pm
My vet's dog is a Labradoodle:

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/pictures/nikki-labradoodle.jpg

(I so want one!)

Quote:
First bred in the 1970's by Wally Cochran, the Labradoodle is a very lovable dog, known for their exceptional intelligence and trainability, low to non-shedding coat, low allergy coat, and lack of doggie odor.

Labradoodles are sociable, friendly, non aggressive, and extremely intuitive. Their intelligence and high trainability make them well suited for guide dogs, therapy dogs, and other assistance dogs. Their non allergic coats make them popular among people who have not been able to enjoy pets because of their allergies. Find a Labradoodle breeder near you!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:54 pm
That does look like a great dog, thanks for the recommendation!

(I want Corduroy, though. Sniff.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:56 pm
Low to non-shedding coat is a big plus in terms of E.G. - persuading. He hates the idea of fur everywhere. The angle I'd thought of going for is that we'll just vaccuum more than we do now, I'd take responsibility for that, and of course all of the dust and dirt and other stuff would get cleaned up too, so the house would actually be cleaner than before.

Yeah.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:04 pm
...must...tear...self...away...from...adorable...doggies...

<whaps Bella with a wet noodle>

I used to volunteer at the Humane Society and had my heart broken about 5 times a day. I wanted all of them!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
Do you like this dog?

Apparently, it is one of those breeds that has hair but is better than most dogs for people with allergies.

Wheaton Terrier
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
Ohhh that poor little girl. Putting all that nuturing and love into a peice of stuffed cotten and that poor little doggy damn in the kennle.

A little girl and her doggy seperated by the evil adults. Whatta little trooper. It's a cruel world.http://i.cnn.net/money/pf/features/popups/dog_costumes/gallery_bandito.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
Dogs for Allergy Sufferers

Here is more ammo for you. Very Happy
0 Replies