I HATE MYSELF TODAY AND WITH GOOD REASON FOR IT

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
Intrepid wrote:
You have heard - Treat everyone as you would like to be treated. A better way to look at it is Treat everyone as THEY would like to be treated.

And what if the person were a masochist?? (Sorry, you fed me that line, and I simply could not resist! Laughing )
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Shocked Never thought of that! Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:06 pm
Shocked Neither did I! Shocked

I will have to rethink this. Darn logic, Phoenix
Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:08 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Intrepid,

I really like the way you put that. Treat them as THEY would like to be treated. Excellent point.

That is, except the whacko, fringe type with masochistic tendencies and weird fetishes.

What I was meaning was, do not put our wishes onto them and treat them as we would ourselves when they want to be treated differently. Everything within reason and moderation. :-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:11 pm
Whew, Intrepid! Had me worried there for a bit!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:13 pm
Kinda scared myself too Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:16 pm
Intrepid wrote:
You have heard - Treat everyone as you would like to be treated. A better way to look at it is Treat everyone as THEY would like to be treated.
You don't even have to go as far as Intrepid's second platitude. Even the first one does not hold water. Why? What if you yourself are a masochist? It's the old bugaboo of moral relativism!
Intrepid wrote:
Everything within reason and moderation.
Whose reason and moderation. Yours?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:19 pm
Chumly,
Perhaps you could consider the definition of normal morality rather than trying to find fault with what some consider to be a golden rule to live by. One can always see the glass as being half empty while others see it as half full.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....

I'm sure I'd rather be treated well by MY standards.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:27 pm
Quote:
normal morality

as opposed to abnormal morality? how about "natural" morality? how about totally meaningless claptrap?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:29 pm
How about a cool Lone Star?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:50 pm
Chumly wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
You don't even have to go as far as Intrepid's second platitude. Even the first one does not hold water. Why? What if you yourself are a masochist? It's the old bugaboo of moral relativism!
Intrepid wrote:

Ah, I missed the edit for the addition of the bottom line. Why do you think it has to be mine? Are you adding something, or just criticizing?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
normal morality

as opposed to abnormal morality? how about "natural" morality? how about totally meaningless claptrap?

Whatever works for you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:51 pm
Lash wrote:

Exactly my point
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:52 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Sounds good to me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:57 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Lash wrote:

Exactly my point

My dear, whom I esteem,

That would entail my doer of good to treat me as I want to be treated, not as he would like to treat me.

If I'm a guest, spending the night in his home, and he likes to sleep in a warm room, but I like to sleep with the window open---how should he treat me?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Ah, I missed the edit for the addition of the bottom line. Why do you think it has to be mine? Are you adding something, or just criticizing?
I am not presuming that you insist that it has to be your morals per se. The question is only to demonstrate moral relativism I could add if not yours than whose? Same elemental question, you need to understand the question is rhetorical.

As I recall you may have perceived some of my questions in the past to have this same direct critical literal stance. Oh well, it's the limits of internet postings.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:03 pm
Lash wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Lash wrote:

Exactly my point

My dear, whom I esteem,

That would entail my doer of good to treat me as I want to be treated, not as he would like to treat me.

If I'm a guest, spending the night in his home, and he likes to sleep in a warm room, but I like to sleep with the window open---how should he treat me?

He should sleep in the window with the window open and snuggle up close.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Chumly wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I am not presuming that you insist that it has to be your morals per se. The question is only to demonstrate moral relativism I could add if not yours than whose? Same elemental question, you need to understand the question is rhetorical.

As I recall you may have perceived some of my questions in the past to have this same direct critical literal stance. Oh well, it's the limits of internet postings.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your meaning, Chumly old chap.

We could only go by the general rule of thumb of what is considered acceptable by the majority. Unfortunately, it is not an exact science.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:18 pm
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I'm already having a second.
0 Replies