I HATE MYSELF TODAY AND WITH GOOD REASON FOR IT

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:09 pm
The woman reminded me very much of an aunt of mine who recently died. After she discovered I was an atheist, in 1970, she berated me and called me names every time she saw me or a member of my family. She was big like that and her husband as small as the video husband.

I'm glad you saw that video, mama angel. No amount of dialog could have equalled it for impact. I for one bear no grudges with you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:12 pm
Thank you edgar, I appreciate your comments. I am very glad I saw that video.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:14 pm
You're better looking than that woman, Momma.

(I just thought I'd throw that in as a sort of healing salve)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:15 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Shocked

That woman is SO scary. So, so, scary!

Echo that Shocked

I wonder how many people become "warriors" of some religion or political ideology or other, instead of receiving the psychiatric care they need. Poor kids.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:30 pm
Gus,

What can I say? You always make me smile.

Nimh,

Nimh, I owe you one huge apology. I know that you tried to get me to see exactly what that video showed me today. You tried very hard to do that. You did it with respect and civility. I didn't deserve that respect or civility but you still gave it.

Nimh, please forgive me. Please forgive me for being such an idiot. Please forgive me for thinking I was actually doing something to help when all I was really doing was hurting and offending so many.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:46 pm
There'd only be a need to forgive if I had ever been hurt or offended in the first place. I wasnt. Indignant for a bit, sure. But **** happens. Not all that big a deal either.

Besides, I've fucked up too much myself to be best placed for forgiving others.. I mean, who am I?

Dont overthink it ... thats what they always tell me, too ;-)
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:07 pm
Dear MommaAngel,

You have given a perfect example of how most of us continually evolve.

Speaking for myself, during the course of my evolution, at a past "grade point average" of 80, I later took 3 steps up the ladder, lost my balance, and slid 90 steps down, which lowered my score to -10. Now I've managed to climb back up to a +5, which is where I am, right now. This is still not good enough!! But the most important thing is that we keep trying to move up the ladder.

Let it be known now, if the message hasn't already been received, that I will make my way back up to 80, and even higher.

Everyone makes mistakes, MA. We can't fix everything all at once. I decided to work on my "inside" first, then tackle the "outside". It won't be long before things begin to balance out for me.

I'm glad to be a part of A2K. Those individuals playing the part, are helping me in my progress back up the ladder.

I can understand how you feel, right now, but you can't let yourself hate yourself. Forgiveness for our imperfections is most important, so that it will be easier for each of us to move in an upward direction.

Yours truly,
PoetSeductress

P. S. - They joke about being the darkness (I think), but the good is in the light. This is a universal law that can't be altered.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
Thanx PoetSeductress,

Those are some kind and wise words. Oh, I take the "darkness" words with a bit heaping scoop of humor!

Nimh,

<<<<<<sending huggggsssss>>>>>>
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:13 pm
I for one think it's great how you've had the courage to re-evaluate and re-think your views. No forgiveness is needed (except maybe from you to yourself). You're doing the best you can and you've had the guts to admit when you are wrong. That's good stuff.

Welcome to the dark and chocolately side...
:wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:25 pm
It's your thing
Do what you wanna do
I can't tell you
Who to sock it to
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:27 pm
Chumly,

Funny you just posted that. We are watching some oldies but goodies on the TV. The Birds, The Animals, Three Dog Night, man these guys have aged but STILL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lova ya Flushd!
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:31 pm
quote:

edgarblythe wrote:
The woman reminded me very much of an aunt of mine who recently died. After she discovered I was an atheist, in 1970, she berated me and called me names every time she saw me or a member of my family. She was big like that and her husband as small as the video husband.

I'm glad you saw that video, mama angel. No amount of dialog could have equalled it for impact. I for one bear no grudges with you.

Edgar, you can be sure that "God" gave her a good spanking when she "got to Heaven" (if she "made it", that is). Twisted Evil

Wait a minute... I know what happened! Listen Edgar, she has been reincarnated as an atheist. Can you dig it? Surprised
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Setanta wrote:
What an egomaniac . . .

well, yeah I guess I am but well deserved in my mind.

I like egotists. I'm one, myself! (a fair and balanced one)
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:42 pm
seaglass wrote:
I didn't know Diana Ross had a beard.

Diana Ross can have anything she wants, as long as it has muscles...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
Atheists don't generally dig reincarnation, do they? I used to be hurt that she treated me that way, but had come to be completely indifferent over the last thirty years.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:54 pm
Edgar,
Your aunt was wrong to judge you against her own religious convictions. She was not wrong to have her convictions, just wrong to berate you because you did not live up to her ideals.

That is something that I dislike about Christianity. We can live our lives in the way that we think (and hope) is best. We cannot judge another because they do not hold the same view. That is not, and never should be, our call.

I'm sure you would have thought better of your aunt over the past 30 years if she had just made known her religion and not judged you for your choice.

I hope you can find forgiveness for your aunt.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:59 pm
quote:

edgarblythe wrote:
Atheists don't generally dig reincarnation, do they? I used to be hurt that she treated me that way, but had come to be completely indifferent over the last thirty years.

I don't know, Edgar, some might? Smile Who knows. But I thought I would throw that in (using Gus' words) as a healing salve. Some people believe in the negative "Karma" as well as the positive, and that would certainly be no fun for her, if she happened to get an aunt who did the same thing to her.

When someone hurts or upsets me, and when I can eventually collect my emotions, I then make myself relax, shut my eyes, and envision a healing, loving light surrounding them. And I forgive them... not to suggest that what they did was right. But it clears my mind, both subconsciously and consciously, of the hurt. Given some time and practice, I'm sure I'll be able to do this immediately, to circumvent hurt inner feelings at the onset. (That negative energy within, mainly harms the holder of it, in ways you can't even begin to imagine.)

This is what I recently did in my mind, last week, with my biological father whom I never really knew. Just as you, I had become indifferent to how he had treated my mother and me. Anyway, a few days after this 10-minute experimental mental exercise, I noticed a big difference in the way I felt. Now if he happens to cross my mind, I am clear, and feel only positive energy inside myself.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:35 am
Intrepid wrote:
Edgar,
Your aunt was wrong to judge you against her own religious convictions. She was not wrong to have her convictions, just wrong to berate you because you did not live up to her ideals.

That is something that I dislike about Christianity. We can live our lives in the way that we think (and hope) is best. We cannot judge another because they do not hold the same view. That is not, and never should be, our call.

I'm sure you would have thought better of your aunt over the past 30 years if she had just made known her religion and not judged you for your choice.

I hope you can find forgiveness for your aunt.

It's funny though. That particular brand of Christianity only appears to be more prevalent in America. Over here, I've rarely met people who are like that. Mostly it's the people who decide to preach in the streets, but the majority of Christians in our bizarre theo-democracy keep their faith so hidden, you'd think they were closet Christians.

But that's just the way the Christian faith is over here. Most people are just people, whose faith is a tendency to pray every now and again or just go to church on Sundays.

Unfortunately, the trend is heading away from that, which greatly saddens me. I do so hope that people will come to their senses here, there and everywhere, and stop being so hardcore.

Everything in moderation, the Greeks once said, and I'm sure that includes religion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:38 am
You have heard - Treat everyone as you would like to be treated. A better way to look at it is Treat everyone as THEY would like to be treated.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:27 am
Intrepid,

I really like the way you put that. Treat them as THEY would like to be treated. Excellent point.
0 Replies